Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sell me on SRAM? New cannondales not Shimano!!!??

Ok, I am a fan of shimano, prefer mostly XT and XTR parts.

I am thinking of picking up a new Rush... or maybe a slightly used Rush on Ebay.

I noticed most of the higher up models are using SRAM parts..... why?

are they as good as shimano? arent they more expensive??

XTR v. x0?
    XT v. X-9?

How do they match up?

LA CHÈVRE
    There are still some Shimano equiped bikes. Team Replicas get SRAM X.0, then you usually get a full XTR bike, then a XT XTR, then SRAM X.7 X.9, then LX... The Rush Carbon 1 is a full XTR build, the Rush Carbon 2 is mostly XT...

As to how they compare, you'll get very different opinions. I prefer Shimano myself but I wouldn't mind a Team Replica model with X.0...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

I Love my Rize

Once you use Sram you never go back

Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    Ok, I am a fan of shimano, prefer mostly XT and XTR parts.

I am thinking of picking up a new Rush... or maybe a slightly used Rush on Ebay.

I noticed most of the higher up models are using SRAM parts..... why?

are they as good as shimano? arent they more expensive??

XTR v. x0?
    XT v. X-9?

How do they match up?

Once you use X9 or XO for a few rides you will never go back to Shimano. Don't get me wrong I think Shimano is good but my experience with X9 is no comparsion. Like Fred Flinstone car to a Ferarri especially when the going gets muddy. The X9 and XO doesn't change in performance at all. I don't think XTR even comes close to X9. Haven't tried the XO's but I would believe they are somewhat better.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just put x9 grippies on. they are better than the x7 triggers and way better than the Shim LX that came on the prophet 800 i tried.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I swear for SRAM. I have a X.9 setup on my Scalpel and couldn't be more happy. Gripshifts work like a charm for me, but those X.0 triggers are real nice too, feel zippy and precise. If you're used to Shimano, go out and give it a try, you might just be surprised at how well it works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Not tried the new XTR or XT, but comparing the rear X9 to the older type XT (non-rapid fire), I much prefer the X9.

Due to the 2 to 1 cable pull the shifting is loads crisper, and doesn't required half the faffing the shimano does to get/keep the gears sweet.

Still not going to throw away my shimano kit, it'll get used and maybe replaced with X9 depending on how they perform under long term use (currently 6months in without any trouble).
    One thing to note is, I'm not sure you want to/can do a cable change on Sram X0/X9 shifters whilst out riding (due to the complicated internals), where as changing the cable on shimano kit is a piece of piss (not something that happens often but worth noting).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ziscwg I was thinking the same, to change XT triggers on my rush for X9 or x0 grippies. Any downsides or is it worth changing?

mtbr member
    Yea, Sram is awesome. Shifts are so fast and crisp. Another benefit is the chain tension. With my previous full XT setup I would drop the chain off the middle ring all the time when going over the rough stuff. Now with the Sram it has never happened in the 2.5 years I've been using it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I prefer the Sram stuff due to the positive feel it has. I would also like to point out that I am a big fan of the twist shifters. To the person thinking of going to twist shifters, get the X9, as the X0 shifters feel like garbage due to the grip style (very soft and mushy feeling).

LA CHÈVRE
    I told you, many different opinion. I prefer XT and XTR since it's mostly made of metal, not plastic like SRAM's stuff, it will last forever and looks much less cheap. And with my XT/XTR drivetrain, I haven't had to touch any adjustment for the past 2 years and it's always smooth.

With that said, it's more a matter of preference than the quality of the products IMO. I have used most setups at one time or another and most work just perfect once you are used to the shifters and when they are setup correctly. I have my eyes on a 2008 Scalpel Team Replica and it's mostly X.0 and I'm sure I'll love it too.

I would still stick with Shimano for cassettes though. The expensive top end SRAM 990 is as heavy as a much cheaper XT and doesn't shift any better.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Here I go....Can't stand Sram, hate feel of it, way too plasticky. Never liked gripshift, and the triggers are too flexy in hard shift situations. I've seen way more X7's ripped off the back end, no idea why on that, but it's like, 5 to 1 Sram to Shimano. Now on a positive note, I love Srams chains and cassettes, love 'em! Go Powerlink Please note, this is my OPINION!!!! Love my Dual Control/Rapid Rise, but maybe I'm just wierd like that
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Oh your Wierd like that!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jura2004
    Ziscwg I was thinking the same, to change XT triggers on my rush for X9 or x0 grippies. Any downsides or is it worth changing?
    The only downside it going to be you'll have to change the rear derailer to x9 or x0. I'm assuming you have an xt or xtr on the rear already.

There is one other upside. The grippies are about 60 gr lighter.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

LA CHÈVRE
    I have to say that the twist shifters, while a bit annoying to use in certain situations, are great for the front derailleur. Chain rubs in certain gear combos? Not a problem! You got 9 clicks to place the derailleur exactly where you want it. Even better if you use a 2 x 9 setup.

But SRAM doesn't make their Shimano 2:1 ratio compatible shifters anymore? Sure it's no X.0 but still.

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by evan547
    I prefer the Sram stuff due to the positive feel it has. I would also like to point out that I am a big fan of the twist shifters. To the person thinking of going to twist shifters, get the X9, as the X0 shifters feel like garbage due to the grip style (very soft and mushy feeling).
    Hmm, I hate grip shifters...

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Amen to that..... looks cheap too !!! My personal preference is still XTR..... then again, just my personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    then you still can use sram trigger

mtbr member
    I was once all about shimano and then I purchased a 2006 team replica scalpel. I didn't like the push push on the trigger shifters, so I switched to the grip shift and the rest is history. I defy anyone to set the bike up with properly with XO and say that XTR works any better. The only problem I ever have is you can't sneak a shift if you are close to an opponent (the click that the shifter makes when it releases cable is quite loud).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Love my Dual Control/Rapid Rise, but maybe I'm just wierd like that
    Yeah, you're definitely weird. Dual controls, rapid rise and wheels are three things Shimano should cease production of IMMEDIATELY. Dual controls feel really clumsy and just imprecise, I'd always wonder if I went up/down one or maybe more gears? Rapid rise just adds to the confusion, and seems to me like it's just a "hey, let's try something else, not like there's any merit to it, but just for shits and giggles". And wheels, boy don't get me started on that, it's a real disaster...

And the other posters, what's plastic about, say, X.0? It's CNC'd aluminium and carbon in case you haven't noticed Back in the days when SRAM used to have things made of "Grilon" I'd just agree on that remark, but not anymore.

As for the design, I think it's Shimano doing the catching-up now, not the other way round. While current XTR looks okay, the previous generation was just... yuck. And X.0's looked great since day one.

LA CHÈVRE
    SRAM's carbon is just plastic with fake carbon...

Put me in the weirdo list too, I like Dual-Controls a lot... everything at your fingertips, no need to let go of the grips with your thumb securely holding the bar when it's important. After a ride or two, you don't even think about shifting, it becomes so natural and easy. Most people who hate it haven't use it long enough.

Normally, you can hear the clicks for each gears so if you push down a bit, hear a click: one gear, push further, two gears, same thing on upshifts... at least, it's like that on my bikes.

Only downpoint is that, with Low-Normal (or whatever they call the inversed cable pull on the rear derailleur), the rear derailleur seem more sensible to dirty cables. I use a full cable housing so it's not an issue. Haven't touched my derailleurs adjustments since (over two years now) and it shifts fast, smoothly and quietly, perfect to stalk right behind pretty ladies!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kopaczus
    Yeah, you're definitely weird. Dual controls, rapid rise and wheels are three things Shimano should cease production of IMMEDIATELY. Dual controls feel really clumsy and just imprecise, I'd always wonder if I went up/down one or maybe more gears? Rapid rise just adds to the confusion, and seems to me like it's just a "hey, let's try something else, not like there's any merit to it, but just for shits and giggles". And wheels, boy don't get me started on that, it's a real disaster...

Just cause we're getting into the meat of it a bit, yup, the wheels are pointless, they just had to be on the band wagon. As for Rapid Rise, I hated it with Rapid Fire, made me think all funny....I kept that feeling, going forward into Dual Control. But I agreed to try it. One ride on Rapid Rise first, then an immediate swap out to traditional. It was a no brainer. With RF I still run traditional, but Duals were built with RR in mind. It also saves alot of drivetrain wear, due to not forcing a shift, when it's not a good time. I break fewer chains, and things last longer too. Whatever, I'm sold. As for plasticky, it's how they shift, it fels like I'm shifting wood or plastic, it's all thud thud like, not metallic. Hey, if you like it, ride it
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dual Control works great. I used it for about a year on one of my rigs. I stopped using it when I crashed and suddenly the indexing of the shifting was all f___ed up. Trying to make up time grinding gears just got me thinking about something new. Which brings up another good thing about gripshift. The part that the cables come out of can be rotated down out of harms way. I usually rotate them so that there is at least a half inch between the brake lever and the part that the cable comes out and I tighten them so they can't possibly move while shifting and the brake lever I tighten so that it can move but not easily, so if I crash, the lever can move a bit without braking anything. Obviously keeping the rubber side down on the bike is best, but sometimes we push a little too much and we should be ready for those moments. By the way I agree that it is easy to adjust to different controls. My buddy has a bike with the brake levers set up moto style and the brain gets used to what ever you're working with quite quickly.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    ... the brake lever I tighten so that it can move but not easily, so if I crash, the lever can move a bit without braking anything.
    I have done that for the last few years, never broke/bent a brake lever. Grip Shifters need to be tight though...

mad aussie
    One for SRAM here, I prefer the nice positive click of a set of XO or X9 shifters, although XO are a little better. Tried new XTR triggers and didnt like them at all. The action is too light for me, too easy to double shift. Hate dual control, dont like levers that move, and I have smaller hands which means that front shifts in particular can be hard to access just when I need them most. I actually preferred the old XTR 8 speed rapid fires to the light action of the 9 speed. Dont like grip shift at all, the worst shifters I ever used were the old X-rays if anyone remembers those!
    I think shifting is like saddles, grips and handlebars. You have to go with what works best for your body morphology, riding style and personal biases. That is why I think it is great we now have more choices than ever. When FSA comes into the component game as they are promising it will be interesting to see what they bring to the table.

Kevin

I Love my Rize

Sram for sure

I have a full X9 drivetrain in 8 speed gripshift and I defy ANY system to shift better and be more reliable in ANY condition. 9 speeds feel like junk to me. Man the X9 8 speed gripshift is so fast and precise it's mindboggling.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast