mtbr member

New question here. Sell Flash29, buy Trigger29

Hello there,
    Figured I would get some "wise" advise here regarding this "so important" question lol

Here's the deal:
    I have a Flash 29 Carbon 2 (with various upgrades) and I recently got a Scalpel 29 Carbon 1 2013 (pictures in the scalpel thread).

While it goes without saying that this Flash has been (and still is) a great bike, I'm now questioning the utility of keeping it now that I have the Scalpel.

The Scalpel nearly has everything of the Flash in terms of riding/handling/speed/stiffness, when the lefty and suspension are locked. It's also light as hell for a full Suspension.
    Amazing bike no question!

The Scalpel being a very expensive bike (and I tend to take care of my bike), was thinking of getting a Trigger 29er 1 as a second bike (sort of go-to bike for rougher terrain, bad weather condition)
    With longer travel fork/suspension, well equipped for the price, I would believe this is a good idea?

Or having the Scapel 29 Carbon 1, and now a Trigger 29er 1 would just be like having 2 of the same bike?

Or these 2 could compliment well each other?

I haven't made a decision at all, so I'm not looking at getting additional confirmations that would help me to pull the "trigger" (if i may say lol)

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had the same issue. 2012 Flash Carbon and 2012 Scalpel 29er 1. I sold the Flash and bought the Trigger 29er. Absolutely no regrets. Trigger is perfect for everyday fun and training. Scalpel is perfect for racing and fast training rides. The Scalpel and Trigger are completely different bikes and owning both is the perfect combo for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Holy crap, I thought I was reading another post by you Johan. Good to hear someone else is having to make such "trying" decisions as you have had to over the past year.

Though I do think hardtails still have their place, mostly as SS's, I would certainly say that a Scalpel/ Trigger duo is much more dynamic than the Scalpel/ Flash combo. Scalpel is a perfect race/ fast trail bike and the Trigger is certainly a fast trail bike with some enduro/ freeride capabiities. The Trigger 1 is very burly, a great compliment to race machine like the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Funny, I just sold my Flash yesterday and orderd a brand new Scalpel. I tossed around whether or not to sell the Flash (or my Remedy 9) for a while...
    I figure I would never ride the Flash again, because many of the upgraded parts on my Flash would be put on the Scalpel anyway, and the Scalpel rides much like a Hardtail, with benefits.
    I think I now truly have the best of both worlds, a Fast but bomb AM 26" long travel bike, and a Scalpel 29er...
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

LA CHÈVRE
    I wish I had your problems!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    First off, I thought I'd get flamed with such existence issue! lol

So thank you for your input already, very interesting!

@soulcraft29er, would you elaborate a bit more, about your impressions? the trigger 29? comparison with the scalpel 29? weight of the trigger 29 (talkin about the Trigger 1 with lefty max)? handling?

As it is the trigger 1 29er seems like the only choice, since I would never go back to 26" bike. (altho the triggers carbon are sexy i'll admit), Jekyll are too heavy and 26" too, and I have been a Cannondale guy pretty much all my riding life, so no switching for now.

Again, thanks again for all your inputs, appreciate it

mtbr member
    Ok little update, as the Trigger 29er 1 is now in the house!
    Went down to my LBS, and they had just one in stock, Medium size!
    So I went back with it!

Funny story:
    I asked them to go tubeless for both wheel, so they did.
    10 minutes later while we were chatting, we heard a "boooooooooom" explosion!!
    I turned and looked, of course that was my Trigger! lol
    The rear tire exploded, and silicon liquid everywhere!
    there it was sitting on its rim! the tire went off completely (only 3,5 bars, just for a bit until the tire settles in, normal procedure as usual)

We then checked the rear Crest rim, and it was damaged.
    So it's going back for warranty.
    Until they receive the new Crest rim, I have a crap syncross dt swiss (I have a pair of Mavic crossmax SLR , but because of the new fat lefty, the hub isn't compatible, and the rear has center lock shimano rotors... would have needed extra adaptor I guess, but anyway)

So me and the trigger 29 didnt start off very well so far...
    But hopefully, it'll get better on the trails this weekend.

One or two observations so far:
    *A bit heavy, but I must admit I might be too used to my Scalpel Carbon 1. I have to accept it's a different bike! But you will need the legs for this trigger29, or I have the feeling it won't be easy!
    ** LeftyMax is super hard! Only put 80psi for now. I'm only 60Kg, and doesnt have the arms of Stallone, but still, compared to the Scalpel, this is very different.
    ***XT brake... What can I say?? perfect! Still can't believe they still put XO brakes on a bike like the Scapel Carbon1 in 2013!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have similar setups as you guys...
    I ride both the Flash and Scalpel and loves both.
    If I had to choose only 1 bike, I would go with the Scalpel.
    When I ride with my Wife, she is on the Scalpel as it is softening the trail chatter as well as better handler of rough terrain.
    But, I will not replace the Flash with a heavier trail bike.
    Once you get use to a light weight Low 20s XC mean and lean bike, it will be quite difficult to go to a 30+ bike...
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I certainly agree,2 bikes make perfect sense.

I personally won't run a high-end bike like your Scalpel in foul weather,its why a second bike is handy.

I mainly ride my F1 carbon and have a Rush for the nasty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Freak6767. Get the suspension app from Cannondale or read the manual. At 60kg you are running to much pressure in the fork.
    Scalpel 29er is lighter and climbs faster. Trigger 29er rides with more confidence and is way more fun. I am keeping my Scalpel for racing but the Trigger is my favourite bike. Obviously this depends on where you live and what trails you ride. I prefer rocky slow technical New England terrain and obviously dream places like Moab and Lunch Loop in Grand Junction. If I lived in Boulder, Santa Fe or other less technical but fast swopy down hill type riding with lots of long non technical climbs, the Scalpel would be good.

mtbr member
    soulcraft29er, you are totally correct about the lefty pressure. I actually made some research after I posted online. The lefty SuperMax is totally different than the regular lefty I have on the scapel29 (99psi in that one), and recommendation for my weight is 66psi in the book, and 49psi according to the cannondale app... go figure!
    For now I went for 58psi.
    Went out for 60Km today, and while toward it was muddy (therefore bike heavier with mud, and legs burning), I enjoyed the trigger29! was a lot of fun!

And you are correct about finding harder lines, because everything become easier, you just flow over everything! this thing is a tank! Cant wait for warmer season, drier trails!

Question about wheels: I read in the manual, front axe accepts Lefty Max or Lefty hybrid.
    Does that mean any lefty wheelset are compatible? I have some reynolds 29er and Mavic SLR (just need some adapter for 12x142 at the back), but will the front be compatible? would that make it weaker?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sell Flash29, buy Trigger29-triggermudju.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    You need Lefty KH112 (Cannondale part number) brake adapter. It will allow you to run regular Lefty hub on Super Max. Mine is arriving next week and I'm putting my Tricons on the Trigger.

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Regular lefty hubs will bolt onto the new superman lefty just fine (the inside bearings are the same spacing and diameter) but because the flanges are wider, and therefore the brake rotor positioned outward, you can not actually use it unless, as I've been told, you get an adapter from cannondale for your brake calliper to move it inward.

I would keep the new lefty hub, and just try to find a different rim. It's what I plan to do when my trigger comes in.

EDIT: yes, what he said ^^

mtbr member
    Right! thanks for the useful infos! (and the exact reference of the adapter)

But then, what about the pros and cons, of putting "old lefty hybrid" wheel on the new leftyMax?
    Weaker? Any risks?

I mean, if they went for a new design of larger front hub, there must be a reason?
    Sure it would be awesome to put my reynolds lying around on there, but not if there are any risks or disadvantages!

Again, thanx for your help!

don't stop
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freak6767 View Post
    Right! thanks for the useful infos! (and the exact reference of the adapter)

But then, what about the pros and cons, of putting "old lefty hybrid" wheel on the new leftyMax?
    Weaker? Any risks?

I mean, if they went for a new design of larger front hub, there must be a reason?
    Sure it would be awesome to put my reynolds lying around on there, but not if there are any risks or disadvantages!

Again, thanx for your help!
    Due to the physics (geometry) of it, the wider flanges on the new supermax lefty hub make for a stiffer, stronger wheel. But flange width is only one factor here, rim strength/stiffness being the other major one, so a regular lefty hub built up in a strong wheel, e.g crossmax, flow, etc, would also be strong, but no more so than on any other bike/fork. It would be a bit of a shame though not to take advantage of the new hub. Can you imagine how awesome the new hub laced to a 32h enve 29er AM rim would be?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a 2013 F29 2 and love it..My second bike is a Salsa El Mariachi 29er custom built with x9 and xo..I have the BOB Yak trailer axle in it as well. For me i dislike full suspension feel and complexity..The chromoly is really good at absorbing bumps of any size..