mtbr member

New question here. Select spare/trainer rear wheel for 2007 Bad Boy Ultra

I've tried searching and had trouble sifting through the results for what I need...

I live in Germany and mostly ride my RZ120 on the forest trails. But I also have a 2007 Bad Boy Ultra that I ride on paved trails in decent weather.

Throughout most of the year (and definitely from now through April), the Bad Boy stays on the Kurt Kinetic trainer. I've asked Santa Claus for a trainer-specific rear tire since my original tire is getting a bit glazed from all the miles on the KK (about 50 mi per week).

So, it makes sense to me to get a second rear wheel to make conversion from road-trim to trainer-trim quicker/easier (than a tire swap). I can't seem to find the exact same wheel (Sun Rim DS-2), so I'm looking for a good alternative. BTW, yes, I have a couple spare cassettes, brake rotors, and even a couple new chains... no problem there.

What do you recommend? Shipping will be a factor for me, as I use an APO box in Germany (Jenson has been great about shipping here).

Thanks in advance!
    _Matt

Select spare/trainer rear wheel for 2007 Bad Boy Ultra-100_5637.jpgSelect spare/trainer rear wheel for 2007 Bad Boy Ultra-bbu-kk.jpg
    I just wanna ride....

Redcoat

Select spare/trainer rear wheel for 2007 Bad Boy Ultra

Why do you need the same wheel for your trainer? It doesn't make a difference really. Just put a continental trainer tire on your spare wheel set and off you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    Why do you need the same wheel for your trainer? It doesn't make a difference really. Just put a continental trainer tire on your spare wheel set and off you go.

I don't have a spare wheel set. I'm asking the MTBR community to recommend one... actually, just a spare rear would do the trick.
    Thanks.

P.S. And yes... The Conti tire is the one I hope to get soon (in about 39 days).
    I just wanna ride....

Redcoat

AAAAhh k I would just pick one off eBay or maybe score one on the classifieds section of the mtbr site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    AAAAhh k I would just pick one off eBay or maybe score one on the classifieds section of the mtbr site.

Wow,
    I've been out of the country too long... I need to brush up on my English:

What do you recommend? More specifically, what model do you recommend?

Thanks,
    _Matt
    I just wanna ride....

Redcoat
    Well you dont need anything fancy.
    Something like this, mavic is very decent. You can get one for cheap off of ebay or maybe in a local listing.
    26" Mavic X223 Rear Disc Wheel Work w Specialized Trek Giant Bike | eBay

or these
    Specialized 26" Mountain Bike Disc Wheelset | eBay

My spare wheelset is mavic, and for pavement/trainer i cant complain at all. Just go second hand theres no point in buying new.
    whats the web address for ebay in Germany?

mtbr member
    Thanks,
    Hmmm, that would work... strictly for use on the trainer. And your point about going second hand is right in alignment with my way of thinking.

But, I believe I would prefer a wheel that is the same size that comes on a Bad Boy (700c -- 622x24, 6-bolt disc brake, etc.) -- hence, my purpose of asking in the Cannondale forum and specifying the year/make/model of my bike.

Perhaps I made some assumptions in my original post: I am really looking for a BadBoy-compatible solution, not a "that'll work" solution. Wondering what other Bad Boy owners use as a spare set of wheels.

Thanks again,
    _Matt
    I just wanna ride....

Redcoat

Ah k my bad I was just assuming 26er which is what I have on my cdale prophet and trigger 2

Ex-Clydesdale
    I'd get the cheapest 700c/29" wheel you can find. Here's a pretty decent 29" with a 6-bolt rotor hub for $80:
    Shimano Deore 29" M525 Disc/Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite Rear Wheel - Mountain Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

Or a few dollars more, a cyclocross rear: Quality Wheels Peloton Series Cross Disc Rear Wheel SRAM X.9 / Velocity A23 in Tree Fort Bikes Wheels (cat113)

I'd go with the cheapest option if it's a trainer-only wheel. Honestly, doesn't even have to be disc compatible, just the right hub spacing.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, as Dwayne said, you don't need to worry about the brake/rotor since it will be on a trainer. I use a Sram XLC 29" rear wheel on my trainer without any brake rotor. I just put a spacer in my brake caliper and ride.

Select spare/trainer rear wheel for 2007 Bad Boy Ultra-img_6383%5B1%5D.jpg

I found this wheel on eBay for $50 and it works well. Here is a similar one for a bit more.
    XLC Inverno 29er Rear Wheel SRAM Rear Disc Cassette Hub Blue on Sale | eBay

mtbr member
    Brockwan, Dwayne, and Schworm,
    Thanks a ton for the insight and recommendations.
    I ended up buying this guy: Quality Wheels Mountain Disc Rear Wheel 29" SRAM 406 6 Bolt WTB FX23 Black | eBay

A few points:
    1. The shipping to my APO box is free!
    2. I like the fact that it is a fairly common wheel that I can match a front to if I decide I need to have a full second set.
    3. The same seller has a very similar Sun wheel for sale for a couple dollars less that is a 25mm (this one is a 23mm, and the original Sun that came on the bike is a 24). My thinking is that since I have both full-suspension and hard tail XC bikes that the Bad Boy will continue to serve pavement duty for several more years (when it's not on the trainer). Again, if I add a WTB front, moving down to 23mm (rather than up to 25mm) is more in line with my use for the bike. **shrug** At least that makes sense in my brain.

Thanks again for pitching in. You're all welcome over to my place for a 2-hour session on the trainer followed by some good local beer!

_Matt
    I just wanna ride....

Redcoat

Glad you got there in the end.