mtbr member
    May 2007

Seized Lefty Max 140

I need help badly....

I rode my Prophet several times in a very wet week, I live in Scotland they are all wet. Came home and left my bike upside down in thre garage. Went on holiday and came back after 2 weeks and the lefty is seized solid.

It wont move at all. Looking under the rubber boot there is some corrosion on the races, but not too much crud under the boot, although water has obviously got in there at some point.

Has anyone had a Lefty totally seize before? I am guessing I need to replace the roller bearings and races how do I do that? The Cannondale website doesnt seem to have instructions on how to do this, I assume that is so you pay a fortune for a shop to do it.

Any help is much appreciated
    A

LA CHÈVRE
    I'll let someone els chime on how and if you can do the job yourself (there is a thread about it somewhere here, dig around) but for next time, don't put the bike upside down and if you went through very wet and harsh conditions, let the bike right side up, cut the lower zip-tie on the fork boot and stick a pen or something so air can get in and water can get out. This will allow the bearings and races to get dry faster and prevent accelerated rusting... Then, while you are at it, clean them and re-grease them before re-attaching the boot.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ouch, yep, you're on track, you need new races and bearings. Parts would run you $40 through my shop, labor would be $25. Not a mint at all, that's why I love Leftys. Being in Scotland though, I'm at a loss how you can get it done cheaply. 88+ is still in operation, right? Look them up. And Dan's right on, you messed up by flipping it over, all that water had nothing to do, and nowhere to go, so it ruined your internals......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cheers guys, i did forget to say I also got married that week, so wasnt thinking, the bike normally hangs from the ceiling.

I have been looking for a while and cant find exactly how to do it, if anyone knows where it is that would be great.

LA CHÈVRE
    Have a look at this thread...

And congratulations by the way!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So, if I hose my bike off after a ride I should not hang it upside down until it dries or not at all??????
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, normally, there is not much water coming in by just washing the bike.