mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Seeking advice - worth it to make my Tuarine a Flash ?

I have a very nice 2007 Taurine team that I bought new in 07 and have upgraded with 1250 gram handbuilt wheels and a few other light weight parts. With pedals it is 19.6 lbs.

I have Flash envy due to the reports of a more compliant ride and the stiffer but lighter frame.

So my thought is to:
    1. Buy a flash carbon seatpost (and 27.2 to 30.9 USE shim) as I think most of the comfort comes from this seatpost.
    2. Send in my Lefty for the 2011 XLR upgrade.

Bike fits me perfect and handles like a dream - so tempted to save the cost of a full frame upgrade and just address a few areas. Not excited about a seatpost shim though.

Thoughts??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc1
    I have a very nice 2007 Taurine team that I bought new in 07 and have upgraded with 1250 gram handbuilt wheels and a few other light weight parts. With pedals it is 19.6 lbs.

I have Flash envy due to the reports of a more compliant ride and the stiffer but lighter frame.

So my thought is to:
    1. Buy a flash carbon seatpost (and 27.2 to 30.9 USE shim) as I think most of the comfort comes from this seatpost.
    2. Send in my Lefty for the 2011 XLR upgrade.

Bike fits me perfect and handles like a dream - so tempted to save the cost of a full frame upgrade and just address a few areas. Not excited about a seatpost shim though.

Thoughts??
    I'm not so sure most of the comfort comes from the seatpost. In fact, I replaced the SAVE seatpost with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Q2-Micro-Adjus.../dp/B003BC9EGU

It's lighter, has a little more flex than the SAVE, has a better seatpost clamp (I've had some difficulty getting the USE SUMO clamp to stay put, tends to rotate nose up when I scoot back on the seat during steep descents) and you wouldn't need a shim since it comes in 30.9 sizing.

Not sure you really need to upgrade the lefty but that's your call.

I haven't been on a Taurine so I can't compare but I do love the Flash 29er. I've had the aluminum and now carbon version. Both are great but the carbon is noticeably more compliant.

mtbr member
    save your money and just change the frame over. ive had both the the carbon flash is light years ahead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have been told that most of the Flash' plushness comes fro the SAVE technology int eh seat stays and chain stays. I can say my aluminum Flash is very compliant for an aluminum hard-tail. I have a VERY stiff Bontrager RaceXXXLite Carbon post in mine. That thing has NO flex.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear from someone that has owned both Taurine and a flash. I based by approach on a review I read where they swapped in a aluminum seatpost and felt that most of the complaince was gone. Just one opinion.

Seems like the new frames are also about 300 grams lighter than the taurine (950 vs 1250) and are more stiff in the BB while being more compliant.

So now I think I will hunt down a Flash Carbon 1 frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear from someone that has owned both Taurine and a flash. I based by approach on a review I read where they swapped in a aluminum seatpost and felt that most of the complaince was gone. Just one opinion.

Seems like the new frames are also about 300 grams lighter than the taurine (950 vs 1250) and are more stiff in the BB while being more compliant.

So now I think I will hunt down a Flash Carbon 1 frame.
    good choice

mtbr member
    I have two Tairines ( one single speed, one with gears). I purchased a flash ultimate about a year ago and just sold the Flash frame. I will say the tbs flash climbing smooth roads felt realt good. That said, any bumpy fast downhill was way more punishing on tbs body. The SAVE technology is way better on the Taurine. The Flash also seemed very unpredictable on fast and windy singletrack. Keep in mind, I'm talking about a size 2010 Flash. Most people don't probably know, but the 2010 and 2011 flash have different geometry. The good thing is that they probably fixed the unpredictable nature of the Flash by this adjustment. Oh and what a surprise, the geometry change to the Flash gave it back tbs same angles and distances as the Taurine. So if I were you, I'd save the money and just upgrade the fork, I feel the remote lockout and travel reduction ate a good thing. That's exactly what I'm doing. If you didn't think the Taurine was the best hardtail you ever road, then I'd say try the Flash. Just know that they are NOT same, the rear end of the Flash is solid in all directions no give whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Oops, I'm typing on my phone, that was supposed to say size large 2010 Flash.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i had a 2009 Taurine XL and a 2010 Flash L.
    The Taurine was better by far. XL was just right with the Taurine, that meant a lot.
    Sure, the Flash is lighter, but that is not the whole story.
    In case you want to make the change, take good care in choosing the right size.

To me it seems a good idea changing the fork to a model with remote lockout.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Handling

The feedback regarding Taurine vs Flash does concern me. I have had a dozen or more high end MTB bikes over 20 years and the Taurine Large fits me better than anything and handles so well it covers up my mistakes. Really - it seems to sense what I want to do. It is also the best descending hardtail I've ridden.
    So maybe it does make sense to update the fork and install a 1x10 XTR 980 drivetrain. Also -- not sure if a SAVE seat post or other material - but I would like to add a bit of comfort through a seat post with a little give.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Interesting reading - I have an XL Taurine which is the best MTB I have ever owned, comfortable and the faster I go the better it handles. I was also considering upgrading to a Flash and now it looks like after this feedback it may be me and the trusty Taurine for a couple more years.

mtbr member
    The feedback regarding Taurine vs Flash does concern me. I have had a dozen or more high end MTB bikes over 20 years and the Taurine Large fits me better than anything and handles so well it covers up my mistakes. Really - it seems to sense what I want to do. It is also the best descending hardtail I've ridden.
    So maybe it does make sense to update the fork and install a 1x10 XTR 980 drivetrain. Also -- not sure if a SAVE seat post or other material - but I would like to add a bit of comfort through a seat post with a little give.
    Amazing how silly we humans are. If you step back and read what you just wrote, you wouldn't replace that frame unless it got broke or stolen!! I know how it is though, I feel the same way about my Taurines and yet I purchased a Flash as soon as they came out. Taurines are still in the garage and the flash is a memory. Glad to see you found your answer. I'm not trying to knock the Flash, I'm sure it works for some riding styles, just not mine.