mtbr member

In search of a New Cannondale Prophet

In the market for a new all mountain bike. Currently have a 2005 Prophet Lefty 600 J frame that's accumulated mileage, what's new? Should I wait another year? Drivetrain and wheelset are the only things that have changed on it.

mtbr member
    132+ people interested in me searching for a new bike, but no help in what to look for?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Honestly, I'm confused.

You want a new Prophet? They haven't changed, because they stopped making them around 2008. The Rize came out as a replacement for it.

New? 29ers, fatbikes, 10 speed drivetrains, 11X1 (yawn), hell, even 11 speed electronic shifting for the coming season, carbon fiber everything you can think of, the list goes on. You can even get a device to watch youtube videos on your iPhone while riding, not that I'd recommend that.

Better? No. More expensive? Yes. Worth the extra $? No.

Like the Prophet? Seek out another one on eBay.

Otherwise, hit up your buddies, ride what they have, hit a few shops, get a little butt time on some newer concepts, and enjoy having your wallet sucked dry by the likes of $425 cassettes and such.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Honestly, I'm confused.

You want a new Prophet? They haven't changed, because they stopped making them around 2008. The Rize came out as a replacement for it.

New? 29ers, fatbikes, 10 speed drivetrains, 11X1 (yawn), hell, even 11 speed electronic shifting for the coming season, carbon fiber everything you can think of, the list goes on. You can even get a device to watch youtube videos on your iPhone while riding, not that I'd recommend that.

Better? No. More expensive? Yes. Worth the extra $? No.

Like the Prophet? Seek out another one on eBay.

Otherwise, hit up your buddies, ride what they have, hit a few shops, get a little butt time on some newer concepts, and enjoy having your wallet sucked dry by the likes of $425 cassettes and such.
    Thanks for the response, Is there a bike you can recommend for me to try out in the same price range ($1700, in 2005 dollars), that will be noticeably better than a Lefty Prophet. I was attracted to the Prophet for its J-swing arm, 140mm Lefty travel fork design, and simple one-two pivot rear suspension.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Prices have gone through the roof, finding a decent FS for $1700 is gonna be tough, unless it's used, or a closeout.

Prophet is a single pivot design, many have gone away from this, but some still make them.

The Lefty is the best thing on your bike if you ask me, get it updated to a PBR damper, find a frame you like, move your parts over and call it a day.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I have the same frame. It will last another ten years. I say keep it and replace/upgrade parts as needed. When you need new wheels, go with 650b. Yes, they fit.
    2016 Surly Mars Rover with 6 inch tires