mtbr member

Sealing a Bottom Headset Bearing on a Lefty

Does anyone know if you can seal the bottom headset bearing on a lefty? The top has a little seal that sits over the bearing and below the top clamp , but the bottom is totally exposed to mud, crud etc.. There is a very thin washer that sits between the lower clamp and the inside race of the bearing, could you put a wider washer that covers the whole bearing? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    That bearing is definitely more exposed to the elements. However I've found a little routine maintenance keeps mine running smoothly: just pop the seals off the bearing and pack it full of good waterproof grease (I prefer Pedros). It doesn't solve the inherent issue of exposure to the elements (I haven't seen a solution for that), but it does offer protection.

LA CHÈVRE
    Still, the bearing should have a long life, they are pretty bomb-proof. Older headsets didn't have any cap at all on the top bearings and I jsut changed the bearings for the first time this spring on a bike that I have been abusing since 98 with absolutely no care of the headset. And that's a bike I left outside all year long even when it was raining and snowing. The bearings became rough last fall, the bike was buried in snow all winter long and I guess that's what sent it to bike parts heaven.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Fair call, so I guess I'll just keep it clean and lubed and not worry too much about it!! Thanks a lot for the info.