mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Sctraches on damper shaft of 2009 Lefty PBR 130, how screwed am I?

After my lockout started to develop some issues with play, and my compression damping was non existent in the first half inch of travel, I pulled my cartridge to see if I was leaking oil. Sure was. After refilling and bleeding the cartridge, I looked at the lower part of the shaft and noticed, some scratches in the black coating. They are small, but enough to feel when cycling the damper by hand.

With a fresh oil change, it feels better, but I know it is on the downhill slide, and I likely need a full damper rebuild and likely a new shaft.

Is there any possible way to repair a damper shaft, or does anyone carry them any more? Cannondale seems notorious for "orphaning" forks that aren't even that old.

What type of costs am I looking at for a rebuild with a new shaft? More or less than a whole new damper?

The lockout has been sticky for some time, so I know I am due for service, it is just tough to be out for a week or two now that it is race season and the higher trails are finally melting. Are there any "quick and painless" options, I am doubtful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I'm sure MendonCS will reply soon, but I will give you the info I think is correct in the meantime.

I am pretty sure (as I have looked into this) that you cannot get many replacement parts for damper cartridges such as the shaft. I'm almost sure that Cannondale expect you to get a whole new damper. I have the manual for the 2011 Leftys and these are the parts you can get.

1) Seals kit which consists of mostly o-rings
    2) pressure compensator kit - this goes wihin the lower shaft.
    3) Solo air assembly
    and a few other nicknacks

Here is my advise. I say ride it for now and you can get another damper and replace it which are about $250 or so. But I would wait for the professor to make sure.

PM sent.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sorry I missed this one.

Yep, sadly, you need a new damper. No other real options unfortunately.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hey is it possible to take apart the form off the stem ive been trying but i cant find a way

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctrekker View Post
    hey is it possible to take apart the form off the stem ive been trying but i cant find a way
    Form? Do you mean you you're trying to get the fork off, and the stem has no bolts to remove it? If so, it's an SI stem, there's a cap on the under side, loosen the clamps of the fork, remove that cap, and the whole steerer/stem assembly gets driven up and out from the bottom end.

Otherwise? Clarification please.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ya i meant fork theres a tool i can buy but its like 35 bucks i think im just going to use a rubber mallet and a piece of wood