Young, Shawn Young

scapel: Tough Enough?

I went to check out the Trek Liquid fuel 55 yesterday and I ran into a Scalpel 2000? Is anyone riding one of these? It seems more of a racer bike than a trail bike which is what I need. I ride some smooth SS but I also ride some tech SS with 2-3 foot drops and lots of hammering over rock gardens and such. Can this bike take that kind of punishment? I am 5'11 and 175 lbs and ride all over the SW. I ride weekly at Boulder city Bootleg Canyon(none of the downhill though). Thanks for any replys,

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member

q

Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    I went to check out the Trek Liquid fuel 55 yesterday and I ran into a Scalpel 2000? Is anyone riding one of these? It seems more of a racer bike than a trail bike which is what I need. I ride some smooth SS but I also ride some tech SS with 2-3 foot drops and lots of hammering over rock gardens and such. Can this bike take that kind of punishment? I am 5'11 and 175 lbs and ride all over the SW. I ride weekly at Boulder city Bootleg Canyon(none of the downhill though). Thanks for any replys,

Shawn

I'm also 5'11" but I have 20 more pounds on you.I have a 2003 Scalpel 800 .
    Put it through some serious punishment over the last year.
    Mainly aggressive XC stuff. No 3 ft drops or massive downhillling.
    I have had no issues with problems. Just a few scratches in the frame for postarity and merit.
    As long as you aren't freeriding or doing massive jumps or drops . it will suite you well.

Young, Shawn Young

thanks

Thanks for the reply, Appparently not many scapel owners out there or you Cannondale peeps are to lazy to type a few words. I think Im leaning towards the 5 spot at this point but I will stick with the Jamis thru the summer

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Did you consider the Jekyll?

My understanding is that the Scalpel is really a race frame, and if you look at the geometry, it is really laid out.
    I don't own a Cannondale, but I think the Jekylls are really nice frames and provide adjustability for different riding conditions.
    I don't think the Scalpel is very versatile.

I think you can get the weight of the Jekyll down pretty low if that is one of your concerns.

mtbr member
    May 2004

... and if we just ...

Hey Redmon,

Get a Scalpel if you intend to race. The bike is a rocket. It is a stark contrast from the other bikes you were looking at. For Bootleg trails, I would go with something that has a little more travel. Otherwise, your kidneys will feel like they are going to vibrate out your rear end (at least that is the way mine felt before I went with my plush Jekyll).

The Scalpel, Truth and Sugar Race, had the fastest feel out of all the bikes that I tested before I settled on the Jekyll. There is something about being on a race bike- like a race car, the handling is exciting. The Scalpel allows you to lock out the front and rear suspension and just jam on the cranks. It is fun, until the BIG rocks start emerging from the ground to take a look. That always seems to be the case in Bootleg, so take that into account.

McGhies on Sahara has a Scalpel 2000 in the store. Check it out and compare it next to the Fuel, and Epic. Also, give the Jekyll, Liquid and Gemini a spin. Go with the bike that feels the most comfortable. In other words, get the bike that will allow you to pay more attention to what you are doing rather than have to focus on the bike.
    Last edited by Gungadin; 06-12-2004 at 11:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    if you want to go fast, get the scalpel - but like many race-oriented bikes it gets skittish in the technical stuff. it's an excellent climber, but coming downhill i wish it had a bit more suspension (like who dosen't?). if you want a more all-around bike it's the jekyll or another trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a scalpel 2000 (from 2002). I wouldn't take it on a 2-3 ft drop very often. It's short travel and very lightweight so it bounces more than a longer travel, heavy bike which seems to suck up the bumps better. The bike really is a race bike, amazing climber, good descender and fast. I heard from my LBS that cannondale was trying to orient it more towards a trail bike so newer versions may be different. I think a jekyll is more comparable to the Liquid.

HolyGhostrider96
    Jun 2004
    Check out the reviews on the scalpel. I would stay away from the fuel. My LBS has had several frame failures with the fuels. Setup is key with the scalpel. I have my 2004 scalpel 2000 dialed in just right. I have yet to bottom out the rear shock. This bike is FAST. I mistakenly rode with rear locked out last saturday for 15mi and didn't feel a compromise. The lefty rocks. I rode a jekyll and thought it was too much like my superV. This is the best cannondale I have owned in and I won't bore you with how many. Good Luck!

p.s. I have yet to break or seen broken a cannondale frame. Plus they stand behing their frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    the scalpel would be a good bike if you weren't taking 3 footers the bike is softtail 2" travel w/ carbon chain stays that flex, they don't have pivot points. the bike is light, fast and has a short wheel base, which helps it corner alot faster in the tight stuff, but is still great going 40 down a loose hill. get the Jekyell thats a trail bike!

Gentleman Loser

In a word, NO

I'm a pretty agressive rider, non-racer, and former owner of a Scalpel team replica.

In one year, in order, I broke:
    Rear shock (ok, that's fox's fault)
    Fork damper
    Fork damper again (then I bought my own lefty service tools)
    Non-drive seat stay

In my opinion, the head angle is too steep and the chainstays are too long. The head angle makes it a terrific climber but sketchy descender. The long stays make wheelies and manuals more difficult than necessary.

In my opinion, the bike's handling is far, far too twitchy. In contrast, my old Jekyll's handling was quite neutral.

And the Jekyll frame doesn't weigh THAT much more than the Scalpel frame.

The Scalpel wasn't for me. Not at all.

If you are set on a Cannondale, I would personally reccomend a Jekyll, or their new (AFAIK) Jekyll-derived marathon bike.

mtbr member

Cannondale

one of my lbs ( who is a trek dealer, not a cannondale dealer) would tell you to steer clear of the fuel. Lot's of problems and ride like crap. only one shop employee has one and he is trying to get rid of it fast--- but can't. i ride a jekll and have for 4 years and love it. the scalpel will suit all of your needs, but is not designed for the 3 foot drops. ( it will do it fine, but a jekyll will run better through there)

both the jekyll and scalpel are great bikes, try and demo both to find out which suit's your needs better! Good Luck
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Back in Black
    I've got a Scalpel 800 which has been completely stripped of parts (except the front der) and has some sweet light weight replacements (FSA carbon cranks, MaxM post and bar, Formula B4 SL+ brakes, Velocity VXC rims with WTB Lazer Disc hubs, SRAM X9 and 9.0, etc) making it close to a sub 23 lbs enduro ride.

The bike is certainly really edgy which is what I like. When front and rear are locked out it's like riding a full rigid. I average well over 30kph on my gravel training rides when locked out. If you're riding fast and somewhat smooth terrain, it just screams down trails. Technical climbing is absolutely awesome and so is slow technical decents (b/c the frame and Fatty are so laterally/torsionally stiff). High speed rough decent are the largest drawback.

Largest issue is the older frames (like mine) can have the carbon stay pull out of the frame - but who cares when there's a lifetime warranty? I'd have to say it's the best all round bike I've ridden yet. Many buddies who've ridden it say it rides like it's got a lot more than 2.5" travel front and rear - I have to agree (carbon post and bars with Python Airlights no doubt help). Sure, it's limited in the really fast rough decents but b/c it's so maneuverable you can make super quick adjustments on the fly.

BTW, my buddy’s Fuel has had front triangle and rear swing arm failures.
    Last edited by fritZman; 06-24-2004 at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode a Scapel team relica for about 5 hours a couple of weeks ago on VERY aggresive rocky trails. I generally ride a Gemini to give you a clue of how I ride. I pounded the **** out of that bike and it took it all...I went off some 2-3 drops with it at speed (I go off them on my Fisher Big Sur as well) and it was great...It hadled great on the DH sections as well...I beat out a lot of guys on Kona Stinky's...only on the real rocky parts did they catch up. It's not much travel...enough to take the edge off of good trail riding...more like a hardtale though...the bike climed better than just about anything I have ever ridden...I am in absolute love with them...the Fisher is out the door soon and I'll have 2 great cannondale bikes!!!

tom