mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Scalpel v. Carbon Rush

I'm looking at an '06 Team Scalpel and an '07 Team Carbon Rush for sale. The Scalpel I could probably pick up for around $3k, and the rush for $4,200. The front suspension appears to be identical, with the rear being the main difference. How much rear travel does the Scalpel have? Also, I know the Scalpel is not carbon, but given the amount of wrecks I get in, that actually maybe a benefit.

Thanks for all input and advice.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Scalpel has 67mm of rear travel, both have 110mm up front but they use different Lefties. The 06 Scalpel has the Fox Terralogic Lefty which some don't like. The 07 Carbon Rush Team has the newer Lefty Speed Carbon SL that's better, lighter and easier to tune than the Terralogic. The 07 Rush also has the lighter, stiffer and improved freehub Crossmas SLR... But only you can decide how much money is reasonable to spend on a bike... but both are screaming deals to me! MSRP for the Carbon Rush team is 6700$ USD!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Scalpel has 67mm of rear travel, both have 110mm up front but they use different Lefties. The 06 Scalpel has the Fox Terralogic Lefty which some don't like. The 07 Carbon Rush Team has the newer Lefty Speed Carbon SL that's better, lighter and easier to tune than the Terralogic. The 07 Rush also has the lighter, stiffer and improved freehub Crossmas SLR... But only you can decide how much money is reasonable to spend on a bike... but both are screaming deals to me! MSRP for the Carbon Rush team is 6700$ USD!
    Thanks for the great info. I didn't realize how little travel the Scalpel had in back. What's the story with the Fox Lefty? Does it have a lock out, or is it the type that supposedly "senses" when it needs to be active?

LA CHÈVRE
    The Fox Lefty has a ghost following you everywhere and he activates a lock out for you, I prefer deciding myself when or where to lock out...

Regarding the travel on the Scalpel, it seems not much but it's quite effective and often feels like it has more than it really does... it really depends where and how you ride but that Rush is a stunning bike! I'm waiting for the 2008 Scalpel, it will have 90mm of rear wheel travel but you can forget about the good deals you have found.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mad aussie
    I am fortunate enough to have spent some time on both bikes. When I was looking for something a little lighter and more race worthy than my alloy Rush (still a good bike) I weighed up the Carbon Rush and the Scalpel. I ended up going with the Scalpel, it does have limited travel, but is very progressive and actually has really good small bump absorption. In fact it is so active it requires pro pedal to avoid bobbing. Where the Scalpel shows its limitations is pedalling sections over larger rocks where it runs out of travel quickly. The Scalpel also has a steeper head angle and sharper handling, as a friend says it demands your attention.
    The Carbon Rush is also a fantastic bike, a little slower steering, but still feels more responsive than the alloy probably due to better bottom bracket stiffness. The travel on the Rush is linear, it is better on the larger bumps. The one downside is that with the low bottom bracket and linear travel you smack the cranks a lot, this is much less of an issue with the Scalpel. This tends to negate some of the travel advantage in rocks because if you pedal you tend to hit the rocks.
    If you want a race bike that can still handle some trail riding, go with the Scalpel. If you want a trail bike that can easily handle some racing the Rush might be a better choice. Tinker still uses his Scalpel more than 90% of the time. As far as the fork goes some people loved the terralogic, but I never got along with it well. Just make sure the cartridge on the Rush fork has been checked for its loctite.

Kevin