mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Scalpel Team 29 or Scalpel Black Inc

What would you get? Does anyone have the weight of each? Is XTR more superior than Avid XX?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Huge fan of XTR brakes vs Avid. The rest of the components actually pointed me toward the Team. I like the Avid 1x11 setup vs the 2x11 Di2 for Shimano although honestly, I haven't tried the Di2 yet. I have a 1x11 Avid XX setup and love it on another bike. I think the wheels are a step up on the Black but the basic Enve's on the Team are nothing to complain about. Finally, I like the color scheme on the Black much better. With all that, I went with the Team as I just couldn't justify the step up in price for an untested Di2 versus something I love in the Avid. The brakes may be changed out but time will tell.

LA CHÈVRE
    If you have that kind of cash, start with the one closest to your optimal specs (or frame color you prefer) and change what you don't like.

Personally, I wouldn't want the Avid brakes, I have some XX brakes and they're probably the worst (disc) brakes I have used. On the other hand, Shimano disc brakes are some of the best IMO.

XTR Di2 vs XX1... Given how road Di2 works (durable, reliable, maintenance-free, very smooth and fast shifting and proven in dirt in cyclocross), I wouldn't be put off by it being new tech, it's not new, just new as dedicated mountain bike parts. But, I much prefer single chainring setups for mountain bikes and cross bikes, as good/smooth/fast as Di2 front shifts are, rear shifts are always quicker and it eliminates chainsuck risks almost entirely. Another plus to SRAM transmission (for me) is the availability of grip shifts, I never liked triggers, any kind... but that's very personnal.

The rest... well, wheels are a little bit better on the Black Inc.

If it were me (and had the budget), I think I'd go with the Black Inc. but take off the front derailleur, slap a 1x11 specific chainring/spider. I already have a 1x10 with a 11-36 cassette so I'd be fine with the XTR 11-40 cassette.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

LA CHÈVRE
    Disclaimer: my above post takes pricing entirely out of the equation, I know lots on Cannondales but not much about the pricing anyway... Also... currently, I'd go with the F-Si over the Scalpel but same differences more or less apply. And I say currently because... If I wanted a Scalpel (and not in a hurry), I'd wait for the 2016 models...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Disclaimer: my above post takes pricing entirely out of the equation, I know lots on Cannondales but not much about the pricing anyway... Also... currently, I'd go with the F-Si over the Scalpel but same differences more or less apply. And I say currently because... If I wanted a Scalpel (and not in a hurry), I'd wait for the 2016 models...
    Hmmmm, anything new for the 2016 Scalpel that we don't know about?

mtbr member
    Or you could by a nice motorcycle for what those bikes cost.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23 View Post
    Hmmmm, anything new for the 2016 Scalpel that we don't know about?
    Nothing concrete so far but, word on the street is the Scalpel will get a re-design/update for the 2016 model year. My guess, it will use some of the F-Si's new tech like the offset rear end, improved geometry and Lefty 2.0...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nothing concrete so far but, word on the street is the Scalpel will get a re-design/update for the 2016 model year. My guess, it will use some of the F-Si's new tech like the offset rear end, improved geometry and Lefty 2.0...
    Hmmmm....Dan wins.

mtbr member

Yep, my inside Cannondale contact said the same thing AND for 2016 a 120mm Scalpel racing edition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Team Racer Fumic confirmed a new Scalpel this summer.
    But i bought my Team in december, because everything fits to my F29.Scalpel Team 29 or Scalpel Black Inc-dsc_0144.jpg

mtbr member
    Hope it gets two bottle cages and a less shaped/curved top tube....having said that, I love my 2014 Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Unless they redesign the Scalpel, the only place for another bottle cage would be outside the down tube.....looks bad. lol

Try this,
    On rides that require more then 1 bottle as they often do, get yourself a Steripen Opti.
    Been using one for years, very effective, lightweight and easy to stash.

BUT.....you have to have a water source a long the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Unless they redesign the Scalpel, the only place for another bottle cage would be outside the down tube.....looks bad. lol

Try this,
    On rides that require more then 1 bottle as they often do, get yourself a Steripen Opti.
    Been using one for years, very effective, lightweight and easy to stash.

BUT.....you have to have a water source a long the way
    Its a race bike, so this will take a bit to long during a race...

I was hoping for a redesign...The 2014 Epic takes 2 bottles and a toolbox.....just a pity they cant fit resin and carbon sheets in there to for trailside frame repairs...
    www.Chain-L.co.za
    Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 2
    Cannondale CAAD9 Ultegra
    On One Inbred 29er Rigid SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Funny, just yesterday I looked at an Epic with that clip-in tool box.....cool concept.

Yup, Steripen would cost you in a race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Scalpel Team 29 or Scalpel Black Inc

Scalpel Team 29 or Scalpel Black Inc-imageuploadedbytapatalk1425420436.826472.jpg

Notice anything different?

Lefty 2.0. (This is probably just a "large" sized 2.0 with 122 clamps that fits on all of the standard scalpel head tubes, but is telling of what's to come)
    Last edited by trauma-md; 1 Day Ago at 05:05 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    Notice anything different?

Lefty 2.0. (This is probably just a "large" sized 2.0 with 122 clamps that fits on all of the standard scalpel head tubes, but is telling of what's to come)
    Or they spaced the clamps of a 2.0 like a non-2.0 Lefty to do some testing. But yeah, word on the Streets (on the trails perhaps) is the 2016 Scalpel will be brand new (F-Si like geometry and Lefty 2.0, asymetric rear end...).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Or they spaced the clamps of a 2.0 like a non-2.0 Lefty to do some testing. But yeah, word on the Streets (on the trails perhaps) is the 2016 Scalpel will be brand new (F-Si like geometry and Lefty 2.0, asymetric rear end...).
    You will soon find out for sure.....