mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New question here. Scalpel SI Carbon 2 vs Scalpel SE 2

I have a choice between these two bikes. My initial desire was for the SE 2. But I'm told the large size won't be available until late April and am being offered the SI Carbon 2 as an alternative.

What attracted me to the SE 2 was it's an Si with a little more travel and a little more burlier. I'm in hill country of Texas, not mountains. The 100mm of the Si 2 will do, but I wanted a little more travel for the occasional big drop and better ride as a 6ft, 225lb guy.

What is your opinion of these 2 bikes? Is the SI Carbon 2 worth the extra coin? Should I wait for the SE2?

bike tester
    Since its the same frame with a longer fork, i found the SE to be quite lacking on steep climbs. if you are 225 and doing drops i would not run a lefty, go for something with a pike/yari.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I really like my SE2. The Fox 34 is pretty darn good...after being on a multitude of Lefty's over the past 18 years. The slight increase in travel is welcome...I am by no means a racer anymore but enjoy a light-weight and efficient bike and this still fits the bill. The spec of the SE2 is plenty good and the money saved over the 2 will allow you to enjoy it even more and change things out to what you might want them to be. I wanted a slightly more burly XC type bike and that's what I did....fast, ripping, short-travel bike.
    After being on a Monarch for awhile, the Float rear matches up to the front very nicely. I forgot how decent Fox stuff is...good damping characteristics, well-supported, easy to get service parts, and the fork is structurally stiff but compliant. It's winner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel SI Carbon 2 vs Scalpel SE 2-20180109_123938.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Since its the same frame with a longer fork, i found the SE to be quite lacking on steep climbs. if you are 225 and doing drops i would not run a lefty, go for something with a pike/yari.
    No Lefty is why these two bikes are candidates. I want to avoid Lefty. Thank you for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r View Post
    I really like my SE2. The Fox 34 is pretty darn good...after being on a multitude of Lefty's over the past 18 years. The slight increase in travel is welcome...I am by no means a racer anymore but enjoy a light-weight and efficient bike and this still fits the bill. The spec of the SE2 is plenty good and the money saved over the 2 will allow you to enjoy it even more and change things out to what you might want them to be. I wanted a slightly more burly XC type bike and that's what I did....fast, ripping, short-travel bike.
    After being on a Monarch for awhile, the Float rear matches up to the front very nicely. I forgot how decent Fox stuff is...good damping characteristics, well-supported, easy to get service parts, and the fork is structurally stiff but compliant. It's winner.
    The SE2 is my preferred pick. Frustrating it will take over 5 months to get one shipped. (My pursuit began about a month ago.) Scalpel SI Carbon 2 is being offered as an alternative for $1K more, which is half of the $2K retail difference. I would settle on the Carbon 2, but I don't want to realize later than 100mm isn't satisfying.

Thank you for your input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The SE would be the perfect bike for Tx Hill country. Maybe your shop is willing to order a Medium SE(1/19 availability) and a large Carbon SI-4, swap the parts out and put the 4 on the floor for sale?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    The SE would be the perfect bike for Tx Hill country. Maybe your shop is willing to order a Medium SE(1/19 availability) and a large Carbon SI-4, swap the parts out and put the 4 on the floor for sale?
    The swingarm needs swapped for the longer rear shock...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r View Post
    The swingarm needs swapped for the longer rear shock...
    That's a problem.