mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New question here. Scalpel SI Carbon 2 vs Scalpel SE 2

I have a choice between these two bikes. My initial desire was for the SE 2. But I'm told the large size won't be available until late April and am being offered the SI Carbon 2 as an alternative.

What attracted me to the SE 2 was it's an Si with a little more travel and a little more burlier. I'm in hill country of Texas, not mountains. The 100mm of the Si 2 will do, but I wanted a little more travel for the occasional big drop and better ride as a 6ft, 225lb guy.

What is your opinion of these 2 bikes? Is the SI Carbon 2 worth the extra coin? Should I wait for the SE2?

bike tester
    Since its the same frame with a longer fork, i found the SE to be quite lacking on steep climbs. if you are 225 and doing drops i would not run a lefty, go for something with a pike/yari.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I really like my SE2. The Fox 34 is pretty darn good...after being on a multitude of Lefty's over the past 18 years. The slight increase in travel is welcome...I am by no means a racer anymore but enjoy a light-weight and efficient bike and this still fits the bill. The spec of the SE2 is plenty good and the money saved over the 2 will allow you to enjoy it even more and change things out to what you might want them to be. I wanted a slightly more burly XC type bike and that's what I did....fast, ripping, short-travel bike.
    After being on a Monarch for awhile, the Float rear matches up to the front very nicely. I forgot how decent Fox stuff is...good damping characteristics, well-supported, easy to get service parts, and the fork is structurally stiff but compliant. It's winner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel SI Carbon 2 vs Scalpel SE 2-20180109_123938.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Since its the same frame with a longer fork, i found the SE to be quite lacking on steep climbs. if you are 225 and doing drops i would not run a lefty, go for something with a pike/yari.
    No Lefty is why these two bikes are candidates. I want to avoid Lefty. Thank you for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r View Post
    I really like my SE2. The Fox 34 is pretty darn good...after being on a multitude of Lefty's over the past 18 years. The slight increase in travel is welcome...I am by no means a racer anymore but enjoy a light-weight and efficient bike and this still fits the bill. The spec of the SE2 is plenty good and the money saved over the 2 will allow you to enjoy it even more and change things out to what you might want them to be. I wanted a slightly more burly XC type bike and that's what I did....fast, ripping, short-travel bike.
    After being on a Monarch for awhile, the Float rear matches up to the front very nicely. I forgot how decent Fox stuff is...good damping characteristics, well-supported, easy to get service parts, and the fork is structurally stiff but compliant. It's winner.
    The SE2 is my preferred pick. Frustrating it will take over 5 months to get one shipped. (My pursuit began about a month ago.) Scalpel SI Carbon 2 is being offered as an alternative for $1K more, which is half of the $2K retail difference. I would settle on the Carbon 2, but I don't want to realize later than 100mm isn't satisfying.

Thank you for your input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The SE would be the perfect bike for Tx Hill country. Maybe your shop is willing to order a Medium SE(1/19 availability) and a large Carbon SI-4, swap the parts out and put the 4 on the floor for sale?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    The SE would be the perfect bike for Tx Hill country. Maybe your shop is willing to order a Medium SE(1/19 availability) and a large Carbon SI-4, swap the parts out and put the 4 on the floor for sale?
    The swingarm needs swapped for the longer rear shock...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Headshok'r View Post
    The swingarm needs swapped for the longer rear shock...
    That's a problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm not sure that is accurate. I am looking into getting a Scalpel SE "Team" by buying a Si Team and turning it into an SE and the dealer spoke to their rep and apparently the rep can convert the Si to an SE with service parts. He said it has been done before. This sounds awesome to me for endurance races as the extra travel with no extra weight would be really nice to have. Seeing as how I would apparently retain the lockout I struggle to see a downside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    I'm not sure that is accurate. I am looking into getting a Scalpel SE "Team" by buying a Si Team and turning it into an SE and the dealer spoke to their rep and apparently the rep can convert the Si to an SE with service parts. He said it has been done before. This sounds awesome to me for endurance races as the extra travel with no extra weight would be really nice to have. Seeing as how I would apparently retain the lockout I struggle to see a downside.
    The swingarm is different. Does it NEED to be swapped? Maybe not. I have a normal scalpel si with a 190x51 shock in it and I have not had an issue. But if you run a larger back tire you may have some issues with hitting the seat tube. Also if you break anything I wouldn't expect new parts handed to you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    The swingarm is different. Does it NEED to be swapped? Maybe not. I have a normal scalpel si with a 190x51 shock in it and I have not had an issue. But if you run a larger back tire you may have some issues with hitting the seat tube. Also if you break anything I wouldn't expect new parts handed to you.
    I also have the Fox 190x51 with a Rocket Ron 2.35 with PLENTY of room. The very slightly longer swingarm is really to give that little extra travel. With the Fox shock, Iím probably getting 110-ish mm of travel due to the slightly longer stroke. Throw in a slightly longer swingarm and you get the extra 5mm most likely. The chainstay length on the SE is only 0.1 cm longer, so itís not a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Scalpel SI Carbon 2 vs Scalpel SE 2

So you gained probably like 7-8mm of rear travel with that longer stroke shock? Did you get the monarch XX 190x51?

I called Cannondale and they said the Si has a 190x45 and the SE has a 190x55 but it seems sram doesn't make a 190x55 in the monarch XX. All the SE models use a Fox Float. They also said the frame was the same.

What tires are you running? Did you swap the damper in the fork to get longer travel too?

I know the website says the SE chainstay is 1mm longer, is it possible thatís just due to an error or because of geometry change (longer front fork etc raising the bb making it effectively 1mm longer somehow?)
    Last edited by litany; 02-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    So you gained probably like 7-8mm of rear travel with that longer stroke shock? Did you get the monarch XX 190x51?

I called Cannondale and they said the Si has a 190x45 and the SE has a 190x55 but it seems sram doesn't make a 190x55 in the monarch XX. All the SE models use a Fox Float. They also said the frame was the same.

What tires are you running? Did you swap the damper in the fork to get longer travel too?

I know the website says the SE chainstay is 1mm longer, is it possible thatís just due to an error or because of geometry change (longer front fork etc raising the bb making it effectively 1mm longer somehow?)
    I have the Fox Float Kashima DPS with 51mm stroke which is already 6mm longer than Monarch. Add in the leverage ratio for rear wheel travel and itís probably 10mm.

Iím running Rocket Rons 2.35

Did not swap the damper. Still 100mm up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    trauma-md,
    Do you have a remote on your Fox Float? Is there room for one? I'm thinking of swapping to the Float and a Step Cast fork.
    Thanks,
    Nort

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    trauma-md,
    Do you have a remote on your Fox Float? Is there room for one? I'm thinking of swapping to the Float and a Step Cast fork.
    Thanks,
    Nort
    I do not have the remote as Iím not a big fan, especially when the lever is so accessible on this frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Is the long swingarm available as an aftermarket part?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is no longer swingarm. You need a longer stroke rear shock and a new rocker link. That is the only difference. The difference in wheelbase is due to the longer fork and raised bb which lengthens the rear centre by 1mm.
    Yes the rocker link is available as an aftermarket part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yes, rocker link that is what I meant...do you have a part number for that long rocker link? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You'll have to call your local distributor.

Which shock do you have in your bike? My distributor specs the Fox Float DPS Factory with 3 pos remote. Its got much better mid stroke support and therefore feels longer in travel.

If you not digging the Lefty the new Fox 34 SC Factory should feel good (rode one today) but its nowhere near as stiff as the Lefty fore/aft or in torsion. What are you not liking about Lefty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Well I havenít even ridden my Scalpel yet. I just ordered it but it will be the first 100mm bike Iíve ridden in awhile...coming off of a 120mm ft and rear bike. I know Iím going to love the Lefty but just worried about not having enough sus in the back. I like doing longer marathon events and like a little more cusion after 20 miles or so. I still want the lightest and stiffest bike I can get so I got the hi mod scalpel (carbon 1) but like the idea of the SE model. So ideally a combination of both is what Iím after.

mtbr member
    I love my SE2. Iíve built it with a set of Magic Crossmax Pros, 3T carbon flat bars and a Fox Transfer dropper. I use it for marathon races and it is perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The seatstay on the SE swingarm is actually about 1/4Ē longer, the link is the same on Si and SE.