mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Scalpel sag woes

To achieve the requisite 8-10mm of sag on an '09 Scalpel with an RPL, I have to set the shock pressure extremely low. I weigh ~ 150 and have the following data:

psi-----sag (mm)
    50-------6
    40-------6.5
    30-------7
    20-------8
    0-------10

To get the recommended sag I need 20 psi or less! This seems very odd. I'm loath set the shock so low because the Fox RPL specs a minimum pressure of 50psi.

From what I've gathered from other posts, seems around 50psi should be appropriate for a 150 lb. rider.

I removed the shock, released the air, and it still took a substantial effort (full body weight) to fully compress the shock. This is my only rear suspension bike so I have no idea whether this is normal.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by zaphod123; 10-14-2010 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Did you set up sag in Pro Pedal?

mtbr member
    I am about 150lb's and i set the pressure at 25psi
    seems pretty good for trails here in PC

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The shock was in the open position. Called Cdale this morning and the tech I spoke with said he also runs his Scalpel around 25-30 psi so I guess I'm in the ballpark.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphod123
    The shock was in the open position. Called Cdale this morning and the tech I spoke with said he also runs his Scalpel around 25-30 psi so I guess I'm in the ballpark.
    This is typical for the Scalpel as it is a very unique suspension design. The Scalpel has built in preload as the carbon stays have inherent tension in extension, so the preload (air) in the shock is substantially less than what is typically suggested by shock manufacturers. For example, if you release the air/preload from a fully linked suspension design, you'll be able to move the swingarm very easily up and down. The Scalpel, in contrast, would still take some force to activate the suspension. Personally, I weigh 130lbs and run about 15psi.