mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Scalpel or Rush?

Hi all, I'm new here though I've been reading this forum for a while taking in the knowledge of fellow Cannondale riders.

Currently I ride a 2002 Scalpel 2000. Its just over five years old now and apart from upgrading the headshok to a Lefty is pretty much stock. It's been a great bike over the years but it has developed a small but critical problem. The dropout slots have worn so much that the back wheel now has so much slop that even when the QR is tightened up so you require a hammer to close it the wheel will still skew in the frame so the tire rubs against the chain stay. This also causes problem with the cluster to chainring, rear disk and rear derailleur alignment.

I've approached my LBS here in Wellington, NZ about the Cannondale frame exchange program and they will make enquiries for me. If this goes through I will have a choice. Do I stay with another Scalpel or change to a Rush.

I like the Scalpel for its pin sharp handling but when I bought it 5 years ago I was doing a lot more racing. These days I do more all day epics at a relaxed pace so perhaps the Rush would be better for that. I'm fairly heavy at 95kg and one of my problems has been getting the rear shock to support me. I find the more air pressure you have the more rebound dampening you need and some standard shocks don't seem to be suited to heavier riders. If I go down the Rush route it would have to be the Rush 3 frame with the RP23 rear shock. I've heard that with it's various adjustments it can be tailored for heavier riders more than the RP3. I think I would also have to upgrade my 100mm Lefty DLR2 to a Speed Lefty DLR2.

Has anyone made the change from a Scalpel to a Rush and was it the right decision?

Thanks

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I personally have never made the change, but a friend of mine has and never looked back. Unless you're still into hardcore XC racing the Rush will work fine
    In fact, I just got back from a race with my rush, it works great. It is a bit heavier and a bit more travel, but if you are getting into more epic rides, you'll definetaly enjoy it more and find yourself more comfortable on the technical stuff.
    either way you can't go wrong. They are both great bikes
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Huge Tracts of Land
    Hi Tifoso

I am in a similar situation albeti moving from a hardtail, I am probably going to get a carbon rush.

I am in Chch.

I you are on vorb, I am mtbrat, if you want to discuss. Are you going through burkes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

No regret

I rode a scalpel for 5 years too and recently bought the rush carbon 2. Rush has inherited the racing profile from Scalpel, but a lot more versatile. I made the change with no regrets

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    OK, so concensus seems to be go with a Rush. I was leaning that way anyway but its always good to hear other peoples opinions.

How does the frame echange program work? I will be wanting to exchange my frame and fork including the rear shock. Does the exchange frame come with a rear shock or is that an extra cost? And what would be a typical cost to exchange my Scalpel 2000 frame and fork for a Rush 3 frame with a Bonded Speed Lefty? How would this compare with the price of buying a new Rush 3 outright without doing the frame exchange thing. Stating figures in $US is ok as I can do a rough conversion to $NZ. As much as I would like a Rush Carbon the price difference in NZ between the Rush 3 and 2 is ~$4000 - too much for my budget.

One last thing. On my Scalpel I'm running flat bars. All the Rush's I've seen have riser bars. I guess you can run flat bars on a Rush or is it one of those things you just don't do - like barends on risers.