mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Scalpel Rear Suspension,

Hey Guys,

Recently just built up my al scalpel, absolutely stoked with the bike, but just wondering... I've set up the RP23 to 8mm sag with kit on, but on long downhills i've been turning the propedal to 'open" to get the rear a bit more active, rides beautifully but I notice that the rear is almost using up almost all the travel, (must be a couple mm from bottoming out) its not a particularly rough trail, just a little afraid of bottoming out causing some damage etc... should I not be turning off the pro-pedal on long decents? is my sag set up incorrectly? is this a silly question?

Set up is the alu frame, Fox RLC lefty, american classic wheelset, otherwise components same as a scalpel 2 ...

mtbr member
    It's a good thing to use almost all of the travel when the propedal is turned off (this means that you are getting max benefit of you rear suspension). That said, you don't want to bottom it out often. I recommend keeping an eye on for a couple more rides. If it looks like you should add a pound or two, then add a pound or two. Then once you find the optimum pressure, write it down or remember it and then try all three levels of propedal. Most of all enjoy your new ride.

mad aussie
    I find I use pretty much all of the travel, but havent noticed any harsh bottoming out even on landing 2' jumps. The Scalpel seems to ramp up at the end due to the flexing stay design so I wouldnt be concerned. If you notice any harsh bottom out then run a little more pressure, remember that on the Scalpel a little makes quite a bit of difference. I use a Marzocchi low pressure pump.

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi Paul,

From RSA hey?

Anyways yes it's a good thing to use all the travel in full open mode. However you have set up the bike for you in your riding kit. Have you included the weight of your water in either bottles or Camelbak?

8mm sag is about right but thats just a guideline.

Push the Shock air pressure up a few psi to compensate for long downhills.

You could also be finding that the Fox is suffereing from a little bit of damping fade too due to the high work rate of long descents. The oil is warming up and operating at the high temp end of it's viscosity range. Since the oil chamber is housed inside the air can there is not much heat transfer. The air can cools quicker due to higher surface area and exposure to airflow. the oildamper has no such priviledge.

High air can pressure will help but also consider an oil change to increase the viscosity a little. If you increase teh airpressure than go one click up on the rebound damping too.

caio

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys, very helpful! Its my first cannondale and I must admit, I'm hooked! love the way the scalpel rides(and the lefty...wow) but now I've come across a good deal on a carbon rush frame ... what are your thoughts on having two frames and interchanging components betwwen the two depnding on wether its a race or just everyday riding - these two particular frames seem to lend themselves to it? or are the differences between the two not worth the effort?

thanks again for the advice

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi Paul,

The Rush and Scalpel feel very similar. The difference is apparent once you become acustom to the bikes. The Rush suspension rate is very linear. The Scalpel feels more like a VPP and climbs like one to.

THe overlap between the two bikes is quite considerable. If you want another bike look at a Moto instead.

mtbr member
    I think if you have the choice of 2 complete bikes, it's a good idea. If you have to share parts on the 2, you'll probably end up just riding the one you like best and let other frame take up space in the garage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have both an alum scalpel and a carbon rush. I wouldn't trade either one. They are built as complete bikes, though. The scalpel is also set up as a SS, with 0 deg. stem and flat bars, while Rush has risers and all the gears. Each serve me great, but I'm with rumshcawheely, build them both up.