mtbr member

Scalpel Question

I'm considering buying a used scalpel frame. The paint on the frame is really ugly though, as the bike has seen a lot of miles (2002 800 model)...

Is it possible to remove the chainstays for refinishing the aluminium part of the frame? I'm also considering getting it anoed...

Anything else i should consider, or be aware of when looking at a used scalpel?

Thanks
    Kasper
    Little bit o' pain never hurt anyone....

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kspr
    I'm considering buying a used scalpel frame. The paint on the frame is really ugly though, as the bike has seen a lot of miles (2002 800 model)...

Is it possible to remove the chainstays for refinishing the aluminium part of the frame? I'm also considering getting it anoed...

Anything else i should consider, or be aware of when looking at a used scalpel?

Thanks
    Kasper
    Not sure about chainstay removal, but I'd be suprised if it was possible. Call or e-mail c-dales tech support and I'm sure they can give you an answer.

As for other things to consider, take a good look at those seat stays. Those pressed aluminum ones were problematic and have since been replaced by one piece composite stays. Otherwise the Scalpels have proven themselves to be quite durable for normal xc riding, though you have to be at least a little concerned about any lightweight fs bike that has seen a lot of miles.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815