Out riding my Scalpel

New question here. Scalpel or Prophet?

I was just seating here and saying to myself why would I want a Prophet? I already own a Jekyll that's tricked out, which I enjoy riding. My reason for the Scalpel is because I race. The Scalpel is much lighter and handles like a race XC bike and I can still ride anywhere. I don't do major jumps or drops, I just ride XC. Don't get me wrong I do like the Prophet but I just think the Scalpel will better suit me. I mean I could use my Jekyll for longer rides that exceed 4 hours or more in no man's land, that bike is made for the rough abuse. For shorter rides in the 2 hour range hammer my Scalpel on fast trials. But listen I ride with guy's that have Scalpels and they hammer down rocks, roots and mud just as fast as me on my Jekyll. I'll just wait til I can get a Scalpel. It's always nice to have 2 bikes in my garage. Pick which I'm going to ride. What you think?
    Last edited by subzero; 10-12-2004 at 09:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i agree with u. ther is no one good bike. I tried to find it but It didn't exist. So I went with a Turner 5 spot for long relaxing rides, and a Specialized Epic for kicking the Crap out of my buds and blasting up climbs. I couldn't be happier. The scalpel will destroy the Jekyll and the Prophet but they are way more comfortable. Get the Scalpel

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    same here , i can't figure out if i should get the prophet 2000 or scalpel 2000. i love racing but i don't do them enough, maybe 2-4 race a year. i currently have a DJ bike that i do my xc,dh and all other stuff. i'm leaning toward the prophet but still considering scalpel. i demo a scalpel last year and fell in love with it until the prophet show up. i will have an answer after i demo a prophet.

LA CHÈVRE
    If you're keeping your Jekyll, go with a Scalpel, having a Prophet and a Jekyll doesn't make much sense. As I don't race and ride mainly on very hardcore technical trails for 4 hour rides, I ordered a Prophet to replace my Fisher Cake but I still have my ultralight F1000 hardtail for smooth rolling rides.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Good job! Could sell you a barely used Scalpel?

Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    I was just seating here and saying to myself why would I want a Prophet? I already own a Jekyll that's tricked out, which I enjoy riding. My reason for the Scalpel is because I race. The Scalpel is much lighter and handles like a race XC bike and I can still ride anywhere. I don't do major jumps or drops, I just ride XC. Don't get me wrong I do like the Prophet but I just think the Scalpel will better suit me. I mean I could use my Jekyll for longer rides that exceed 4 hours or more in no man's land, that bike is made for the rough abuse. For shorter rides in the 2 hour range hammer my Scalpel on fast trials. But listen I ride with guy's that have Scalpels and they hammer down rocks, roots and mud just as fast as me on my Jekyll. I'll just wait til I can get a Scalpel. It's always nice to have 2 bikes in my garage. Pick which I'm going to ride. What you think?
    Hi subzero, I agree that the Scalpel is a remarkable blend of both XC and tuff trail ride. I unfortunaltey purchased mine too large (Large rather than Med) and have taken to purely singletrack / downhill style riding and so bought a Turner 5 Spot shortly after the Scalpel. Hence, I am offering mine for sale (link at bottom of page). Whatever you do, consider buying a Scalpel for your type riding, it has form function and style, a great bike.

iBod

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

Out riding my Scalpel
    Quote Originally Posted by ibod1000
    Hi subzero, I agree that the Scalpel is a remarkable blend of both XC and tuff trail ride. I unfortunaltey purchased mine too large (Large rather than Med) and have taken to purely singletrack / downhill style riding and so bought a Turner 5 Spot shortly after the Scalpel. Hence, I am offering mine for sale (link at bottom of page). Whatever you do, consider buying a Scalpel for your type riding, it has form function and style, a great bike.

iBod

http://marketplace.consumerreview.co...uery=retrieval

Nice looking Scalpel Ibod. I'd buy it from you, but I need a medium size Cannondale. I can't wait to get the Scalpel. I won't get it til next racing season. Starting to save up for one now. My Jekyll has sucked up my account this year. I will find a way to fit the Scalpel into my next years budget.
    Last edited by subzero; 10-12-2004 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

= Score that Scalpel =

Nice looking Scalpel Ibod. I'd buy it from you, but I need a medium size Cannondale. I can't wait to get the Scalpel. I won't get it til next racing season. Starting to save up for one now. My Jekyll has sucked up my account this year. I will find a way to fit the Scalpel into my next years budget.
    Good luck Sub, hunt down a nice med for next season, and let me know if you come across anyone who is interested in a large.

iBod

mtbr member

Scalpel all the way

Considering what you ride and type of riding, you really need the Scalpel. Love mine but for the riding I do it's not agrssive enough 80% of the time, for that I'm buying a Prophet. As for the other 20%, wouldn't trade it for anything else I have riden, just blazing fast on XC stuff.

Good luck with your savings, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    But listen I ride with guy's that have Scalpels and they hammer down rocks, roots and mud just as fast as me on my Jekyll.
    If the guys on Scalpels you ride with can hammer down the rough stuff as fast as you can on your Jekyll, I'm afraid it means they must be much better riders. I ride a Scalpel and a Ventana X5 and there is no way on this earth I can stay with the X5 on my Scalpel down a rough descent.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a Scalpel, I'm just pointing out that it will be considerably slower than your Jekyll downhill over rocks and roots. At least with the same rider.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    If the guys on Scalpels you ride with can hammer down the rough stuff as fast as you can on your Jekyll, I'm afraid it means they must be much better riders. I ride a Scalpel and a Ventana X5 and there is no way on this earth I can stay with the X5 on my Scalpel down a rough descent.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get a Scalpel, I'm just pointing out that it will be considerably slower than your Jekyll downhill over rocks and roots. At least with the same rider.
    But the Scalpel will smoke the Prophet on uphills... It's all about what you want. I used to want to ride full-on XC race machines and for years I wouln't even consider throwing a leg over a bike over 24 pounds. But after years I decided to try a 5" FS bike and I liked it. I'm a natural climber but was slower on descents. Now I'm just slightly slower on uphills but much more confident (so read faster) on downhills. A friend I ride with is a little slower on uphills but much faster on downhills so he opted for the Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    But the Scalpel will smoke the Prophet on uphills... It's all about what you want. I used to want to ride full-on XC race machines and for years I wouln't even consider throwing a leg over a bike over 24 pounds. But after years I decided to try a 5" FS bike and I liked it. I'm a natural climber but was slower on descents. Now I'm just slightly slower on uphills but much more confident (so read faster) on downhills. A friend I ride with is a little slower on uphills but much faster on downhills so he opted for the Scalpel.
    Good point, but the Scalpel will only be definitely faster up smooth hills. I personally find longer travel bikes quicker up hills with roots and rocks. You can take a more direct line and pedal through things easier. A better rider than me may get more out of the Scalpel, but for me I prefer longer travel (5-6") up and down hills.

LA CHÈVRE
    Good point, but the Scalpel will only be definitely faster up smooth hills. I personally find longer travel bikes quicker up hills with roots and rocks. You can take a more direct line and pedal through things easier. A better rider than me may get more out of the Scalpel, but for me I prefer longer travel (5-6") up and down hills.
    I prefer longer travel bikes too and yes it gives outstanding traction on tough technical climbs but on steep climbs no matter how rocky, I'll be faster on my old 23 pounds hardtail with a lower front end. Of course when I say climb, I'm talking about a respectable incline and longer than 10 pedal strokes...

Out riding my Scalpel

It's going to be my XC racer. What I meant is that they kill me on XC courses. I kill them on downhills with the Jekyll. But they always get me on the climb. I said it wrong. I'll be happy either way. I'll have one all around mountain bike and a XC racer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's going to be my XC racer. What I meant is that they kill me on XC courses. I kill them on downhills with the Jekyll. But they always get me on the climb. I said it wrong. I'll be happy either way. I'll have one all around mountain bike and a XC racer.
    Yes, for pure XC racing on relatively smooth courses the Scalpel is the way to go. I would definitely keep the Jekyll though for longer rides and downhill.

Out riding my Scalpel
    Yes, for pure XC racing on relatively smooth courses the Scalpel is the way to go. I would definitely keep the Jekyll though for longer rides and downhill.

That's the plan I have. Getting the 2005 Scalpel 1000 for my XC racing needs. Keeping the Jekyll for the longer rides and downhill. It's a fun bike to have.

`Count Scalpula'
    Aug 2004

Smile Scalpel or SuperV

I enjoy xc racing and I was told that I would be so much faster on the Scalpel.
    I now have a Scalpel and got the weight down to 22lbs and it is faster on all the straights and flat twisty single track but my 24lbs superV is way faster on down hills and on any tight technical sections and rough surfaces because the rear suspension soaks up most of the crap so you can pedal right on through. The Scalpel is more like a hard tail than a full suspension bike so the rough sections kind of kicks the backend around.
    I mostly race the Scalpel but I plan to use the superV at one race course in the series that has mostly roots and loose golf ball looking rocks everywhere with a 2 mile tight technical section thrown in and 2 jumps right after a 40 foot hill.

I agree with what everyone has said. Get the Scalpel to xc race. Keep the Jekyl for fun/club rides and long comfort rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racerX
    I enjoy xc racing and I was told that I would be so much faster on the Scalpel.
    I now have a Scalpel and got the weight down to 22lbs and it is faster on all the straights and flat twisty single track but my 24lbs superV is way faster on down hills and on any tight technical sections and rough surfaces because the rear suspension soaks up most of the crap so you can pedal right on through. The Scalpel is more like a hard tail than a full suspension bike so the rough sections kind of kicks the backend around.
    I mostly race the Scalpel but I plan to use the superV at one race course in the series that has mostly roots and loose golf ball looking rocks everywhere with a 2 mile tight technical section thrown in and 2 jumps right after a 40 foot hill.

I agree with what everyone has said. Get the Scalpel to xc race. Keep the Jekyl for fun/club rides and long comfort rides.
    Yeah, that's what I found. The Scalpel rides like a hardtail and isn't very confidence inspiring over bumpy ground, especially downhill. The rear just doesn't track well and the front kicks sideways too easily. My Scalpel 800 has a fatty Ultra fork, which is very light but pretty useless as a shock. I'm offloading it in favour of a Ventana X5 for some serious trail riding.