mtbr member
    Sep 2008

scalpel problems

I need to rebuild my

frog link - new bearings and hardware.
    lefty hub, I think just the bearings.
    BB needs to be replaced also.

I can rebuild the frog link myself but the hub and BB IDK anything about them yet. I don't think it would be hard but what tools do you need? I have a friend thats works in a bike shop but has never worked on a cannondale or lefty. but he has a ton of tools so I'm asking is there any lefty hub tools just for the lefty hub and BB are all pretty much the same right?

I have a ton of normal automotive tools but no bike specific tools so what can I do?
    08 Cdale Scalpel 4
    09 Cdale F5 traded ^

LA CHÈVRE
    What crankset do you have? By your signature a 08 Scalpel 4 had a pretty regular outboard BB crankset... nothing Cannondale specific. As for the hub, they just use cartridge bearings that are pressed into the hub shell. You need a 5mm hex to take the wheel off (and move the brake caliper out of the way before) and a green pin spanner (Park SPA-1) to open the end cap of the hub (reverse thread so clockwise to take it off). Then you can use a punch to gently take the bearings out, alternate where you punch so they pull out as straight as possible (damaging the bearings is fine, it's the hub shell you don't want to deform). When it's time to replace, use the old bearings to push the old ones in...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so the green pin spanner is the only bike tool I'll need?

that's F'n awesome thanks dude.

it says its a SRAM GXP BB and using a SRAM GXP2 crank what size BB do I get or will any outboard BB work?
    08 Cdale Scalpel 4
    09 Cdale F5 traded ^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperbrad
    so the green pin spanner is the only bike tool I'll need?

that's F'n awesome thanks dude.

it says its a SRAM GXP BB and using a SRAM GXP2 crank what size BB do I get or will any outboard BB work?
    You will need to stick with Truvativ GXP BB's because the spindle on GXP cranks is tapered drive side to non drive side so any random external BB wont work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    what can I do to help my lefty's rebound? it doesn't do a whole lot when you turn it, I can go from maxed one way to maxed the other way and it not do a whole lot. my F5 with the dart3 would slow way down on the rebound to where I could compress it and lift it way before it would return to normal but the lefty stays springy.
    08 Cdale Scalpel 4
    09 Cdale F5 traded ^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeperbrad
    what can I do to help my lefty's rebound? it doesn't do a whole lot when you turn it, I can go from maxed one way to maxed the other way and it not do a whole lot. my F5 with the dart3 would slow way down on the rebound to where I could compress it and lift it way before it would return to normal but the lefty stays springy.
    Are you hearing/feeling the clicks of the rebound? There should be 14 (I think) on that lefty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yeah it clicks what does it mean if it doesn't?
    08 Cdale Scalpel 4
    09 Cdale F5 traded ^