mtbr member

Scalpel owners - sizing ??

I've got to place an order for a team frame soon and I'm looking for info as I'm between a M & L in the Scalpel. I'm 5'10" with almost 34" inseam. Lot of leg so lot of seatpost in a M. Looking for what your sizing is, both bike and height/inseam and/or suggestions.

mtbr member

med

I am 5' 10" also .
    I have a 33 inch inseam.
    I have a 2003 Scalpel 800 .
    I went with a Medium .
    The Large just felt to big .
    the medium was almost just right . Just needed a 135mm stem vs the 120mm that came with it .
    I love it.
    I used the Race Face XYO seatpost and have no issues with it .

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" also and ride a medium 2004 team scalple. Fits like a glove.

mtbr member
    Definitely go with a medium. The size large is very big. No good for anyone less than 6ft, unless you like to be really stretched out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'11 with between a 34-35" inseam and ride/race a Large scalpel. The medium felt too squashed for me. I am completely happy with the fit. On the other hand I went with a medium 1FG because that felt better than the large. If you have the chance to ride both a large and a medium at a LBS, try them both and order the one you like better.

The top tube on the Scalpel's are longer than other companies larges and mediums so if you don't like to be stretched out or have always chosen a smaller bike, go with the medium. I prefer being stretched out because most of my riding involves a lot of climbing and it's just more comfortable to me. The large also allows me to keep my seat just a bit above the handlebars instead of way above. It's definitely a tough choice if you can't try it before ordering. Good luck!

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!
    I'm 5'11" with 32.95" inseam and ride a large Scalpel. Generally standover on the Scalpel is a non-issue due to the bent top tube. I'd base the decision on what you prefer for your saddle to bar drop. If you like a lot of drop, go with the medium, if you like your saddle and bars closer to level go with the large and perhaps run the next sized smaller stem (100mm I think), depending on your arm length.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    The head tube is the same length and height regardless of frame size. Drop will depend on saddle height, which again will be the same regardless of frame size. The only thing that basically changes with size is the length of the frame and stand over.