Thread: Scalpel Optimo

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Scalpel Optimo

Hello all -

I'm getting back into mountain biking after many years of road only. A friend has a Cannondale Scalpel Optimo that I have riden many times and love, and would like to buy. I have no idea on year, value, etc. - and I've lurked these forums for some time now.

Can you help? I'd post pictures but don't have enough posts yet to do so.

Fox RP3 (behind seat post)
    SRAM X9 rear derailler
    Afterburner Cranks (?)
    Deore LX front derailler
    Crank Brothers Candy C Pedals
    Juicy seven brake levers
    Juicy seven discs
    SRAM Shifters
    Fi Zik seat
    Lefty Fork
    "Unified Composite" rear triangle

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I sold a 2005 Cannondale F800SL (also Optimo frame) bike a couple of weeks ago for about 900 USD. Components were mostly from 2011 and were higher end then on the list above.
    I sold it with pain in my heart and I think the guy got a killer deal.

If it has the shock behind the seatpost it's probably a 2004 or 2005 model. You can't go better than an optimo frame. If it's 750 USD or so, buy it!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The Scalpel Optimo soft tail frame is a rare beast.....get it NOW!
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've always loved the original Scalpel frame style so I grabbed an '06 Optimo frame with a Headshok a couple of years ago. I put all '12 XX components on it with some DTSwiss 240/Crest wheels and it came out about 9.9kg with pedals. It's posted on the "Post Your Scalpel" thread if your interested.
    I love it. Sharp and precise and just enough suspension to take the edge off. It's very racy and quick.
    I recently put an '07 carbon Lefty on it. Raised the headtube about 5mm. It's still very racy but it feels like an awesome new bike. It made it way more capable, feels like I doubled the travel up front and it also makes it feel like I gained travel out back as well.
    With clean well functioning gear these bikes are exquisite.

Btw, I'm not sure what year they started but they were produced up to '07. The later years have the integrated seatpost holder inner thing instead of a collar. Some models were BB30 bottom brackets as well, usually the Team editions I think.