mtbr member

Is a Scalpel OK for Clydes?

Just curious...I currently have an 02 Enduro Pro but I'm looking for something a little more race-oriented (less than 4" rear travel). I've always loved the Scalpels and could probably swing the lower-end model but I weigh about 205 and ride what I consider aggressive XC. Is that going to be a problem with the carbon-fiber chain stays?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lou.

Are you talking to me?

ell, you may have issues,

but I say go for it anyways. You are going to be the original owner, right? The carbon stays have a lifetime warranty, so if there are any issues, Cannondale will take care of you. I am also weight challenged, and Cannondale has never failed to take care of me. Later.
    gfy

mtbr member
    The carbon isn't a weak point as far as I can tell. My guess is that with a higher weight you're going to experience faster wear of things such as shock linkage washers and seat stay bushings.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

I weigh in at about 195...

and have had no problems with my Scalpel, but I'd say it depends on how you ride. I would also catagorize myself as an agressive rider that loves technical terrain, but I'm also a floater, not a basher - if you know what I mean. If you tend to be hard on equipment, a Scalpel might not be your best choice, but then again, I know 2 guys even bigger than me that are riding Scalpels with no problems. In fact the only frame failures I've seen on Scalpels have been the older style bonded aluminum seat stays, which have been replaced with one piece carbon composite ones. Bottom line, if you tend to taco wheels, break frames, and snap handlebars and seatposts like dry kindling, then do not buy a Scalpel. But if you have a smooth riding style and tend to be easy on your equipment, it ought to be fine.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I try to be as smooth as possible because to me, smoother is faster. Haven't taco'd a wheel yet, knock on wood.
    Is the frame warranty only good for original owners? I might be able to get a 3000 used but definitely not new.

Lou.

Are you talking to me?

Yes, the warranty is only good for the original owner.

However, Cannondale may cover it anyways. It really depends on the situation. If you get one, will you know the original owner? Perhaps he will be willing to work out any possible warranty issues for you. If you stay as smooth as possible, and have never tacoed a wheel, go for it.
    gfy

mtbr member

jekyll frame

i say go for it, i am heavier and ride a jekyll and have had to warrenty it with no problems. i used to work at a cannondale dealer and they are by far the best with frame warrenty i have dealt with. (my warrenty --- frame broke at the seat collar and top tube (my fault due to a shorter seatpost i didn't know about) and i was the second owner of the bike.

they replaced it within a week with no questions asked! Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    i say go for it, i am heavier and ride a jekyll and have had to warrenty it with no problems. i used to work at a cannondale dealer and they are by far the best with frame warrenty i have dealt with. (my warrenty --- frame broke at the seat collar and top tube (my fault due to a shorter seatpost i didn't know about) and i was the second owner of the bike.

they replaced it within a week with no questions asked! Good Luck!!
    Good to hear.
    I don't know anyone that has a Scalpel so if I buy a used one I hope they can help me out, if need, be as far as warranty issues, if any.

Thanks.
    Lou.

shop rat
    Mar 2004
    Hey, UpstateSCRider... I've got a 2004 Scalpel 3000 and it's for sale... and I'm in Upstate SC... Clemson, SC. I have to sell it really cheap to pay some bills. It retailed for $4500.00, I rode it for one month and it's in spanking new condition and I need $2800 for it. Send me an e-mail at carolina_cyclist_01@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Thanks - jboggs

mtbr member

yes

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    Just curious...I currently have an 02 Enduro Pro but I'm looking for something a little more race-oriented (less than 4" rear travel). I've always loved the Scalpels and could probably swing the lower-end model but I weigh about 205 and ride what I consider aggressive XC. Is that going to be a problem with the carbon-fiber chain stays?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lou.

I am 200 pounds have have put my 2003 Scalpel 800 through many a ride from The Black Hills of South Dakota to the Northern Hills of Georgia .
    I have never had any issues with mine, I also would consider myself an agressive XC rider.