mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Scalpel in my local bike shop nice!!

I decided to take a look in my nearest Cd dealer today. I have never seen a scalpel in the flesh but I was taken back. They only had a Scalpel 2000 but what a bike. So much better than what I imagined. I wanted to check out a optimo f4000sl but they didnt have one. Now my mind is thinking mmmm Optimo.Scalpel?? I will have to test ride one and try and find the extra money from a f4000sl to a team scalpel if needed. Alot of money indeed.

Can someone explain why the Team Scalpel is £700 more than the Scalpel 3000. There dont seem to be alot in it spec wise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the main difference is the 3000 use XTR crank and the Team use the cannondale crank. the cannondale crank is 132 gram lighter than the XTR and just as stiff as the xtr. and the other thing is the ELO on the lefty compare to manuel lockout on the 3000. but don't get the ELO, i was talk to a connondale rep and he said they will stop making ELO becasue the motor that close the compression value fail to reach the require torque. the company that make the motor don't want to deal with cannondale's complain and return products anymore so they won't produce anymore motor. if your motor fail, you might not able to find a replacement. just get the 3000. i just test out the scalpel on dirt this weekend and i love that bike. i'm planning to get the 2000 cause i don't have that much $$ for a full xtr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile

mmm Thanks for the info. The only prob with some cannondales are the colours. I think they should fire their art work team and employ me. Sales would go up aswell.

The 3000 is a nice bike but I couldnt stand the colour. The 2000 is nice but still has a few decals I dont like.

The team scalpel and f4000sl look nice and plain. Thats a bit to my liking. But now you have me worried about the ELO issue.

So what are they going to have in 2005?? a manual lockout lefty again.

Thanks

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    mmm Thanks for the info. The only prob with some cannondales are the colours. I think they should fire their art work team and employ me. Sales would go up aswell.

The 3000 is a nice bike but I couldnt stand the colour. The 2000 is nice but still has a few decals I dont like.

The team scalpel and f4000sl look nice and plain. Thats a bit to my liking. But now you have me worried about the ELO issue.

So what are they going to have in 2005?? a manual lockout lefty again.

Thanks
    from cannondale
    Hollowgram Crankset. Our super-light Hollowgram crankset and bottom bracket are integrated into the Scalpel’s oversized bottom bracket shell. Weighing just 665 grams, the innovative Hollowgram parts are a full 132 grams lighter than their XTR equivalents.

... i would go with the 3000 because it has a standardized BB shell size, and the new XTR aint too shabby. if you dont like the colors on the 3000, just strip the paint off the front end and have it repainted and redecaled cannondale or whatever. shouldnt cost too much, just a pain in the butt.
    the scalpel 3000 is just a sick bike for racing and XC riding.
    Only boring people get bored.

Are you talking to me?

Not a BAD idea, but...

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    from cannondale
    Hollowgram Crankset. Our super-light Hollowgram crankset and bottom bracket are integrated into the Scalpel’s oversized bottom bracket shell. Weighing just 665 grams, the innovative Hollowgram parts are a full 132 grams lighter than their XTR equivalents.

... i would go with the 3000 because it has a standardized BB shell size, and the new XTR aint too shabby. if you dont like the colors on the 3000, just strip the paint off the front end and have it repainted and redecaled cannondale or whatever. shouldnt cost too much, just a pain in the butt.
    Just remember that the warranty is instantly voided if you start stripping paint, and re-painting.
    gfy

Are you talking to me?

Not a BAD idea, but...

from cannondale

Just remember that the warranty is instantly voided if you start stripping paint, and re-painting.
    gfy

Are you talking to me?

Not a BAD idea, but...

from cannondale

gfy

Are you talking to me?

I agree, somewhat...

from cannondale

Go with the 3000 for the standard bb shell, but if you strip the paint you void the warranty. It is as easy as that.
    gfy

mtbr member

My vote

if you want the best -- IMO i would get the 3000 and put a raceface bb and crank or stick with the cannondale si crank. i have never tried it on a mt bike, but it's incredible on my CAAD 6 road bike

just my $.02
    [SIZE="3"]The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan [/SIZE]

Are you talking to me?

The Si crank

Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    if you want the best -- IMO i would get the 3000 and put a raceface bb and crank or stick with the cannondale si crank. i have never tried it on a mt bike, but it's incredible on my CAAD 6 road bike

just my $.02
    uses an oversized bb and spindle that is not compatable with standard bb shells.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr

just my $.02
    The 3000 doesn't come with cannondale crank, it come with XTR. so i don't see the point of switching to RF.