Thread: Scalpel limits

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Scalpel limits

I know this is an odd question but I have the opportunity to pick up a Scalpel Team (2006) for a very good deal and I was wondering if it would limit my riding. I was set for a Rush until this deal came along. I'm only 130-135 lbs so I don't really ride too hard on my stuff. Biggest drops I do now (on a Prophet- way more bike then I need) are around 2-3 feet- I understand I would have to stop doing those but could i still do 1-2 footers? Also would log rides/log crossings be a problem?

mtbr member
    That's a really interesting question! I have a Jekyll that I'm thinking of retiring and just riding an '07 Scalpel with an 80mm headshok instead. I feel the Scalpel should be fine for everything I ride the Jekyll on, I imagine it will be a little harsher on the back on longer rides but the sharper ride might be worth it.
    So I'd love to hear some comparisons on the "old" scalpel vs the rush/jekyll!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

scalpel is for racing

The Scalpel is designed to be a high speed XC racer. If you are doing drops, even small ones, it is not the bike for you. You should find a bike that fits your style of riding better.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by huge_pop
    The Scalpel is designed to be a high speed XC racer. If you are doing drops, even small ones, it is not the bike for you. You should find a bike that fits your style of riding better.
    I agree but... it can probably handle 1-2' drops without issues... especially with a 135lbs rider.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd agree that the Scalpel can handle rougher trails than you usually find on an XC race course just fine. The Scalpel is currently my only bike, and so I ride it places where I would definitely prefer to have more rear travel and it has held up just fine. However, I still think that it sounds like the Rush is the better bike for you.

I just recently rode my Scalpel and then a Rush back to back on the same trail, a single track that is part of my local xc race series - definitely one of the most techncial courses with a lot of rocks and roots. I noticed the Rush feeling a little less responsive during full speed sprints over flat sections. However, I able to easily go much faster on the Rush down the rocky downhill sections. The biggest difference for me was the slighly slacker headangle, which really helped my confidence at higher speeds over the drop-offs, but the extra rear travel was also very nice for keeping control at higher speeds through places where the whole trail was full of rocks. I concluded that overall I would be faster on that course on the Rush, though I didn't do any actual lap timing. More importantly for those not worried about racing, I had more fun on the Rush.

Of course, the '08 Scalpel might be the perfect blend of all the strengths of the 07 Scalpel and Rush bikes.