Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scalpel Lefty front hub difference 2016 vs 2017

18K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MichaelB 
#1 ·
Is there a design difference (i.e offset / width) on the lefty front hub from the scalpel 2016 and scalpel-si 2017 wheels?

Just want to know if I can use my front wheel as is from my old scalpel, or do I need some adapter plate?

I know about the AI offset on the rear.

#5 ·
The classic Lefty hub is 50 mm. The spindle starts right from the middle of the fork in Lefty 1. Lefty 2.0/Supermax 2 hub is 60mm and in the fork the spindle starts from the side. You can use the classic hub with Lefty 2.0 with a different break adapter.

#7 ·
This.

But the new wider Lefty 60 will enable a bigger spoke dish angle >> brace your rims better, so generally try to stick with the Lefty 60 rather than the legacy Lefty 50.

The old hub will fit on the new fork (with above adapters) but the new hub will not fit on the old fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
The Lefty 1.0 hub is 50mm across the flanges.
lefty 2.0 hub is 60 mm across flanges.

That's 10mm difference in width I haven't measured the distance between bearings in the two hubs to give you an idea of the length of the stub axle and if that's different from 1.0 to 2.0
I do know the 2.0 hub is not compatible with the 1.0 fork. There is a spacer kit available from cannondale for the 1.0 hub onto 2.0 fork

#18 ·
Like the previous poster, I'm also trying to confirm what the "thickness" of the spacer required is.

My situation is below;

Currently running a Hybrid 2.0 fork (55mm offset) with a KH112 adaptor running Lefty 50 hubs. SDweet !

Even sweeter, is grabbed a CarbonTi hub at a bargain price, but it's a Lefty 60 size.

So, to run both 60 & 50 hubs on the fork, I need to change the brake adaptor to a KH111 (so the new hub fits fine), but get the spacers to go between the disc and hub to run the Lefty 50 hubs. Correct ?

If so, I've seen one supplier of these spacers - Lefty SL hub to 2.0 fork adaptor from Stage 21 cycling, but it's just ridiculously expensive.

https://stage21bikes.com/stage-21-le...-fork-adapter/

Any knowledge of actually how thick these are, as can find other options around the 4.8-5mm mark that may do the job as well.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.