mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Scalpel + hollowgram question

Hello all,

I have a 2010 scalpel aluminum frame and I have a hollowgram crank I want to put on it. My BB is 68mm and I know the spindle I have is too long @132mm. I know they make a 131mm spindle, but the space left when I slide the spacers over is greater than 1mm. Also, the drive side arm is further over than the non drive side by more than a couple of mm.

My question is, do I need the 131, 128, or something else? Does any one have any experience with this? Below is a pic of the spacers pushed over and the compression washer partially compressed. The arm is tightened all the way down as well.
    Scalpel + hollowgram question-p1040711.jpg

LA CHÈVRE
    I have used all sizes combined with a few different spiders on a 2008 Scalpel (68mm BB) and on a Taurine (73mm BB) with 2 chainrings and with a single ring...

Your 132 is probably made for 73mm wide BB shells, that would explain the offset and the spacer not being wide enough. Ideally, you would use a 131 made for 68mm BB shells. I have used a 128 but depending what spider you have (those too can vary, they can have different offset/chainline), it can be too tight...

You can use that spindle but you would need a different non-driveside bearing sheild. There are some with an outside lip, it's a bit wider at it's base so the spindle gets pushed to make a 73mm BB spindle centered correctly in a 68mm BB shell.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 03-14-2011 at 12:24 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the info. Am I correct in assuming that the 131mmx68 has the non drive side spindle lip moved over to center the arms? My concern was that 1mm difference would not close that gap, but if the lip is moved then that makes sense.

Someone should bundle all the hollowgram spindle question threads and make a sticky of it.

Once again thanks for all the help. Now I just have to find someone who needs a 132 mm spindle.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yes you are correct, the lip is closer to the centerline on 131x68 spindles so if you find one, you'll likely be good to go..

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The 132mm spindle is now the standard and the bearing race seats are wide for either 73mm or 68mm. When using the spindle for a 68mm BB, you must use the bearing shield with the extra outside lip.

The older spindles (122,128,131mm), were all variations based on BB width (68mm) and whether you were using 2x9 vs 3x9 drivetrain.

If you can find one of the older lengths and want to improve your chainline, then buy one. Otherwise, you are stuck with 132mm from Cannondale.