Back in Black

Scalpel front der cable guide on BB

Mine has come off and the only thing holding the plastic guide in place is the cable itself (although it is severely canted b/c there's 2 tracks on the guide and the cable only goes through one side). Upon closer inspection I noticed that it appears as though there's 2 way tape holding it in place. IMO, kind of chinsy. Any suggestions to put it back in place, such as drill a hole in the BB shell and rivet the thing on?

Thanks for all your help guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You'll probably void the warranty if you drill anything. You can get similar double sided sticky tape (with a thin foam layer in between the sticky sides) at a hardware store or Lowe's/Home Depot. Look for the extra strong stuff for outdoor use or at least waterproof. You could also use an epoxy or RTV, just make sure it's not reactive with your frame or voids the warranty. Your LBS may also have something to anchor the cable guide.

The reason I'm harping on warranty is that I actually broke my Scalpel frame...and I'm not very big though I do like technical trails....so I wouldn't risk screwing around with it.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    For what it's worth the hole is already there (for draining water). Double sided foam tape works well however, provided you only use a small strip right under the section where the cable goes under.

Back in Black
    Thanks guys.

I'll go back and try the OEM setup. Doesn't seem very sturdy but I have to admit that I had to move the cable guide a bit to see the frame's serial number so that might have had something to do with it.

I have a 2002 frame so I'm somewhat expecting the frame to eventually fail whewre the carbon stay bond with the Aluminum. Doesn't Aluminum become too fatigued at one point or another anyway? Lifetime warranty on the frame is a good thing. Hopefully I won't have to realise that I need to exercise that in the middle of some enduro though.