NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007

Scalpel Frog Link Hardware Question

Somehow (don't really know how) I lost the lower damper bolt that goes through the center of the scalpel frog link... I heard a monumental *SNAP*, and about 200 feet later I was riding on the damper body...

I have it temporarily fixed... Believe it or not, the bolts that hold the typical crank brothers multitool together fit the frog link PERFECTLY (diameter and length), so I was able to finish my ride.

Anyhoo, I don't feel like ordering this bolt from Cannondale (or paying a ludicrous price for it from any bike shop in general), so I figured I'd just order some nice stainless cap screws to do the job. Anybody know (off the top of their head) what the bolt diameter and grip length is?

I could just take off the crank brothers bolt and measure it (which I will if I can't get the info here), but I'd like to order the bolt asap and the bike is 20 miles away at home....

LA CHÈVRE
    Check the last page in that document...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Woot! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi Dan,
    I have the frog link problems for long time that can't find the solution yet. Which is, when I stand up and sprint on the climbs, always hear some cranking sound from the frog link and shock mount area, so what can I do to make it silent and just like the new bike.....really a headache for me! thanks buddy!

LA CHÈVRE
    Must be the bushings... Clean the mounting bolts, spacers, bushings, bearings, re-lube and re-assemble (don't forget the Loc-Tite according to the PDF document I posted above). If it's not better, you may have worn-out bushings and need to get new ones... Also clean the seatpost/seat tube area and the saddle rails. You may think it's the frog link but it could also be something else... Just a bit of dirt at the wrong place can make horrible sounds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Must be the bushings... Clean the mounting bolts, spacers, bushings, bearings, re-lube and re-assemble (don't forget the Loc-Tite according to the PDF document I posted above). If it's not better, you may have worn-out bushings and need to get new ones... Also clean the seatpost/seat tube area and the saddle rails. You may think it's the frog link but it could also be something else... Just a bit of dirt at the wrong place can make horrible sounds.
    Thanks for your info first, and one more question, when should I put the lube, and what kind of lube I should use, Thanks Dan!

mad aussie
    Every bit that moves relative to another bit needs to be lubed! Where the bolts pass through the bushings on the froglink as well as the shock mounts. I use Manitou Prep M a suspension fork grease as it seems to attract less dirt than a thicker grease and it has worked well for me.

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale
    The T-shafts are Teflon coated and should not be lubricated. If any creaking or noise is detected either the T-shafts or link bushing may be damaged.
    Read on... it's all in there. As for what grease to use, any good quality grease will be fine, I personally pretty much always use Phil Wood's grease.