mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Scalpel Frame Versions????

Leaving aside the new '08 version, how many different types of Scalpel frames are there? In other words is an '04 the same as an '07? Is there a difference in the frame for a Scalpel 800 compared to a Scalpel Team?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    As far as I know, all scalpels get the same frame each year, with the exception of the team version, which gets an oversize bottom bracket shell for the hollowgram crankset. Between years, there are two different versions, the 2002-03 versions have aluminum seatstays and a multi-piece shock link. In 2004, the frame was updated with carbon fiber seatstays and a single-piece shock link, but I think the 900 retained the old style link and seatstays. From 2005-07 all bikes have been the "new style". I think this is accurate, correct me if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred
    As far as I know, all scalpels get the same frame each year, with the exception of the team version, which gets an oversize bottom bracket shell for the hollowgram crankset. Between years, there are two different versions, the 2002-03 versions have aluminum seatstays and a multi-piece shock link. In 2004, the frame was updated with carbon fiber seatstays and a single-piece shock link, but I think the 900 retained the old style link and seatstays. From 2005-07 all bikes have been the "new style". I think this is accurate, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it doens't matter which 05-07 frame I might pick up as they are all the same. Correct?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it doens't matter which 05-07 frame I might pick up as they are all the same. Correct?
    At some point they added some Ti hardware on the shock link, but it's been a while, definitly was there in 2005 so from there, pick the color.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    At some point they added some Ti hardware on the shock link, but it's been a while, definitly was there in 2005 so from there, pick the color.
    Thanks guys! I'll look for a frame in the 05-07 genre!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

There is a difference

Earlier Scalpels have a different upper link (I think Cannondale refers to it as the "frog" link) than later models. Not sure when the switch took place. I am sure that removing the shock on earlier versions is much more difficult. Nothing on the Cdale website explaining the process and even my local Cannondale shop didn't know how to do it.

Kind of a drag, but a great bike nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    Thanks guys! I'll look for a frame in the 05-07 genre!
    I got an 07 Team frame Size Lrg. that needs a new home.