mtbr member

Scalpel frame size?

If your around about 5'7 inches or 173cm which size frame Scalpel, small or medium?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Scalpel Sizing

I am 5'8. I just got a medium, it fits alright, but I also fit on a large. I errored on the side of caution and figured I can make a bike longer, but you can't really shrink them near as easy.

Matt

mtbr member
    I tried the medium, it felt ok but when going gets tuff down hills I can't seem to pull back behind the seat like other small frames with 570mm Top-Tube. The Scalpel is 555mm T-T, seems a bit short though have not tried it yet. I heard others are complaining of knee-ing the fork leg, probably co's they choose the wrong size frame? Might see if I can organise a test ride in small?

Tool
    I would determine the ETT (effective top tube) length that your body is comfortable with and go by that.

FWIW, I'm 5'10", but more torso than leg, so I like a longer TT, and I was super comfy on a large Scalpel with 120mm stem.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Had a test on both sizes today S & M and I'm definitely a small the question now is where I can get one as Australian stock in small is almost non existent. Anyone know where I can get a small frameset?

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    I am 5'4" and I thought I rode a small but if you're 5'7" and riding a small I don't know what to think now haha. Anyways, I would suggest checking with you LBS and seeing if they can order you one or check out ebay or other places online. good luck!

Sir Crashalot
    One thing to consider is that the headtube is really tall. I'm 5'5", and am riding a small 2011 Scalpel. The bike fits very well, but I have no saddle to bar drop at all with the new OPI stem. That's the only negative that I can think of.

If you wanted to, you could use an adapter steerer tube to mount a standard -17 degree stem on it, for some drop. That kind of defeats the purpose of the really nice OPI stem, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    I would determine the ETT (effective top tube) length that your body is comfortable with and go by that.

FWIW, I'm 5'10", but more torso than leg, so I like a longer TT, and I was super comfy on a large Scalpel with 120mm stem.

-Pete
    This. IMO your height doesn't determine what size bike will fit you as much your inseam, the length of your arms, how long your upper body etc.. It's easy to move the seat up and down.

Sir Crashalot
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    This. IMO your height doesn't determine what size bike will fit you as much your inseam, the length of your arms, how long your upper body etc.. It's easy to move the seat up and down.
    This is true...unless you're on the small end of the size spectrum. Then, inseam is a consideration, as well as headtube length and handlebar height. If you have a short inseam, it is not possible to achieve drop, say, comparable to your road bike, or your conventional fork mountain bike. The Lefty puts the stem up super high, even with all the spacers removed.

From the ground, the top of my saddle is 37" even; whereas the top of the flat handlebar is 37.75". I can not do much about this. My inseam is a fixed length, and I've dropped the stem as low as it can go.

What would prevent this negative drop (or rise) would be if Cannondale would have variable Lefty fork clamps and headtube lengths for the smaller frame sizes.