mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Scalpel for Endurance events

I currently have both a HT & FS. I've used the HT for endurance events and the FS for more fun rides and rougher terrain. Im not getting any younger and I'm looking to sell both bikes and go to 1 high end FS to do it all. Have it narrowed down to Scalpel or Scott Spark. Both very light so I'm thinking/hoping it won't be a disadvantage for climbing given the low weight and advances in lockout technology, etc. a lot of the events I do have long, sustained climbs at elevation (Colorado), so climbing efficiency is a concern.

Pro's v con's? I've never ridden a lefty but hear they're great

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey, I just bought a scalpel a month ago. I too was worried about efficiency. But to be honest, the loss isn't that noticeable. (At least to be it wasn't) I also liked at both the Scott and the Cannondale. My budget allowed for the scalpel alloy 3. Which I've been happy with. Ion a little bit of a heavier guy, and have noticed some brake dive with the lefty. But I'm hoping I will get that sorted out soon. Could be a number of things, but with a new baby in the house my focus has been elsewhere. Lol
    Best of luck and test ride both bikes, I don't think you can go wrong with either. Don't forget to ask about "last years"models, there may be one one two left at a great deal. I got my 2013 for 1375 off msrp.

mtbr member
    I've put my scalpel through some great endurance events. Trans Rockies, BCBR, La Ruta, 24hr events and handfulls of 50-100milers. I'm pretty pleased with how it climbs, descends and handles the tight stuff. However, that headset spacer just got flipped, as riding really fast down the steeps is the only limitation I think the bike has. The rear has enough room for 2.35's, so it can do double duty as a play bike for those epic rides. (Big S don't sue me for using the word epic please). I'm also waiting on the monarch XX with the double lock out, which could be handy during xc events. Somewhere in the sub 22lb range for my Scalpel ultimate, I'd be hard pressed to build something as light. If I did have another bike it would be a Czar or a BMC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud View Post
    I've put my scalpel through some great endurance events. Trans Rockies, BCBR, La Ruta, 24hr events and handfulls of 50-100milers. I'm pretty pleased with how it climbs, descends and handles the tight stuff. However, that headset spacer just got flipped, as riding really fast down the steeps is the only limitation I think the bike has. The rear has enough room for 2.35's, so it can do double duty as a play bike for those epic rides. (Big S don't sue me for using the word epic please). I'm also waiting on the monarch XX with the double lock out, which could be handy during xc events. Somewhere in the sub 22lb range for my Scalpel ultimate, I'd be hard pressed to build something as light. If I did have another bike it would be a Czar or a BMC.

So in these long events, we're you ever wishing you had a HT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chainringX2 View Post
    So in these long events, we're you ever wishing you had a HT?
    Nope. Never.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I had a chance to ride the Carbon 2 today. First time on a Cannondale. I must say....it's an impressive ride. Very comfortable and fast. Little bummed though that a bike at this price point would have a cheaper/heavier wheel spec. W/O pedals at the shop it was 26.5lbs. Didn't feel like it when riding, but would expect lighter. Still impressed with the ride though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Was it this years carbon 2. The blue and white one?
    I've got last years, It's great
    I do endurance xc style races on it 65-100k
    And it's a fun trail bike as well
    I like the lefty lockout, so easy and it's a blast when ya want to do a short sprint or quick climb. Lock it out and stand up and pedal

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post
    Was it this years carbon 2. The blue and white one?
    I've got last years, It's great
    I do endurance xc style races on it 65-100k
    And it's a fun trail bike as well
    I like the lefty lockout, so easy and it's a blast when ya want to do a short sprint or quick climb. Lock it out and stand up and pedal
    Yep...2014 model (black/blue/white).

Are you using those wheels or have you upgraded?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2014 c2 - I love all the XT on that bike

My scalpel is 2013 c2. I upgraded the brakes to XT and the wheels to Enve xc. last years scalpel had Stans tubeless CREST wheel set, which are great. I just wanted to try the enve xc, and im stoked they are very soild. I also put a ks dropper post on for trail rides, but will remove it when racing

I have bought a 2014 f29c2 as a training/race bike, I chose it over the 2013 models because of all the XT kit it came with the same wheels as the scalpel your looking at

I'm putting my Stans Crest tubeless wheel set on the new f29. I pick up tomorrow

I rate the enve xc and the crest wheel sets, I guess it comes down to budget.( I sold my motorbike to pay for all these upgrades)

I believe the wheel set makes a 29er what it is
    Heavy or flexi wheel set on a 29 makes them handle like a pig

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay1 View Post
    2014 c2 - I love all the XT on that bike

My scalpel is 2013 c2. I upgraded the brakes to XT and the wheels to Enve xc. last years scalpel had Stans tubeless CREST wheel set, which are great. I just wanted to try the enve xc, and im stoked they are very soild. I also put a ks dropper post on for trail rides, but will remove it when racing

I have bought a 2014 f29c2 as a training/race bike, I chose it over the 2013 models because of all the XT kit it came with the same wheels as the scalpel your looking at

I'm putting my Stans Crest tubeless wheel set on the new f29. I pick up tomorrow

I rate the enve xc and the crest wheel sets, I guess it comes down to budget.( I sold my motorbike to pay for all these upgrades)

I believe the wheel set makes a 29er what it is
    Heavy or flexi wheel set on a 29 makes them handle like a pig
    I agree on the wheel statement. That's why I'm also looking at the c-team with the Enve wheels. I'm just not sure how the 1x system would work for the events I do, however I love the idea & simplicity. For that reason I'm also considering the Scott Spark which comes with a full XTR build. I rode it too (xt model) and it didn't seem to have the 'wow' factor I was looking for. However, that may have been in part b/c of fit. I think if the fit got dialed that bike would be pretty sweet too

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So much choice.

For me I felt I was better off with the slightly lower spec scalpel and f29 and upgrade the bits I didn't like, my money went further that way
    the only thing I miss out on it the weight saving that the carbon lefty and the x11 give
    The x11 look fantastic, but I don't think I have the leg power, maybe next year I will upgrade to x11

Good luck with your choice

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My Scalpel team is my 24hr bike, my road bike and my everyday trail bike. I use it for everything except bombing ski slopes " not for me " .

I also agree about the wheels, Enve XC has been a joy to spin .

Hey Bay1, no need for extra legs for 1x11. With a 10x42 rear cassette and a 28t ring you'll have all the granny you need. I occasionally swap my 28t for a 32t but mainly run the 28t for the mountains.

To the OP, I can't imagine a better climbing bike then the Carbon Scalpel equipped with RS lock-out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Lefty is great, smooth and stiff.

Another thing to consider is the one water bottle compatibility.
    On my 2013 Med w/XX shock, I can only fit a 20oz bottle in there, and I had to retrain myself to grab it with my left hand as it will not come out the right side! Not a lot of hydration storage...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    My Scalpel team is my 24hr bike, my road bike and my everyday trail bike. I use it for everything except bombing ski slopes " not for me " .

I also agree about the wheels, Enve XC has been a joy to spin .

Hey Bay1, no need for extra legs for 1x11. With a 10x42 rear cassette and a 28t ring you'll have all the granny you need. I occasionally swap my 28t for a 32t but mainly run the 28t for the mountains.

To the OP, I can't imagine a better climbing bike then the Carbon Scalpel equipped with RS lock-out.
    Are you riding the Enve's as an everyday wheel? Will they take that kind of abuse. If I spring for the Team I don't want to be spending any more money on bike parts! Just wish it had XT or XTR brakes

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm using my Enve XC rims for everything I ride.. I'm not shy with them, not to say i ride the full on down hill stuff... Enve do a all mountain rim
    You could upgrade to XT breaks later, they are well priced I thought

The water bottle is an issue
    Cannondale recomend a side entry cage and a 500 ml bottle
    I use a camel pack on my back

I'd better start saving for that x11. Looks so good

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chainringX2 View Post
    Are you riding the Enve's as an everyday wheel? Will they take that kind of abuse. If I spring for the Team I don't want to be spending any more money on bike parts! Just wish it had XT or XTR brakes
    I have the 2014 Team and showing no mercy on the wheels....everyday wheel

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Scalpel for Endurance events-image.jpg
    My new blue and white XT cannondale with up upgraded wheel set- cannondale green stans crest
    9.7kg without pedals. Scalpel for Endurance events-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2003
    You guys on here ever weigh your scalpel team 2014? Curious to what it is bone stock.