NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007

Scalpel DT Swiss SSD 210L shock - broken?

I'm in the process of properly repairing my hack trail side fix (see other thread on frog link) and I noticed that after I took my SSD 210L shock of the bike, cleaned it, bled all the air out, and compressed the heck out of it... I can barely get any compression at all. (doesn't matter what position the lock-out is in). Took it apart as per the manual, cleaned it, re-assembled... still can't compress it by hand at all, and only about 1/8" to 1/4" with a clamp...

Is it hosed? I never tried compressing it when it was "new", so I have no clue if this is normal or not.

LA CHÈVRE
    Did it worked fine before you took it off? If it's still off the bike, I would re-open it and see that every o-rings, seals, bottom out elastomer, everything is on straight at it's right place and not crooked. Check that everything can move as it should inside before closing it back. When putting back the Air chamber cover, do it carefully to avoid moving or pinching a seal or o-ring. Also, did you lube things as mentioned in the manual? Then I'd put it back on the bike and try to compress it. Maybe it's normal but I would expect an air shock with no air to be quite easy to compress...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Did it worked fine before you took it off?
    Who knows... I wonder is a siezed shock is the reason for me braking the lower mounting bolt.... The backup bolt that I stuck in there trailside was bent big time...

Besides that, I did everything as per the manual... I'll reinstall it this afternoon and see what happens.