Thread: Scalpel creak

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

Scalpel creak

Anyone experiencing/ed a creak on their Scalpel? Sounds very similar to a BB creak, but appears to be coming either from the linkage or the carbon/aluminum interface(s).

mtbr member

Smile

Does it creak when you bounce the suspension?

I had a annoying creak coming from the rear of my scalpel. After initaily thinking it was the pivot bushings, it turned out to be a worn body eyelet in the fox shock. I replaced the eyelet and no creak.

I hope its that easy for you.

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004

no, only on side loads

Quote Originally Posted by bleebs
    Does it creak when you bounce the suspension?

I had a annoying creak coming from the rear of my scalpel. After initaily thinking it was the pivot bushings, it turned out to be a worn body eyelet in the fox shock. I replaced the eyelet and no creak.

I hope its that easy for you.
    Did yours make noise when you bounced on the pedals or only when you were pedaling?

No way man, I spent like an hour monkeying around with this thing. First, I tightened the pedals (way loose- not my bike by the way), tightened the rear QR (way loose), checked the crank arm bolts. Then I checked all the nuts and bolts on the linkage/shock, etc, tightened 2 chainring bolts (not much), removed crank arms then loosened/retightened BB (with torque wrench) and re-installed the crank arms after greasing the splines and bolts (used torque wrench). Then I removed/greased/re-installed the BB (and crank arms) and removed/greased/re-installed the pedals. It is not the seatpost or seat (makes noise while standing).

Bouncing on the pedals gives no noise, it is only apparent when pedaling hard (left side only for some reason) but if you stand next to the bike (either side), crank arm at 6 o'clock, and step on the pedal repeatedly, like you are checking for lateral frame flex or something, it creaks way louder. If you tilt the bike way over and step on the center of the crank (near the BB axle) it still creaks, which pretty much eliminates the crank/pedal variable. If you grab the top of the rear wheel and the seat-tube and yank side to side it makes the same noise. There doesn't appear to be any play in the linkage, and I tried dripping a little lube on all the pivots and cycling the suspension which didn't do anything.

The original chain was severely rusted (and was replaced), which may give an indication of the state of the frame pivots/bushings. Anyone know what materials are used on all those moving parts? Anything that can corrode with exposure to moisture?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i Have the same problem, and it'd been into LBS twice for fix. It's the "frog link" part of the rear suspension: The bolts and pivots are crap, will come loose, and don't tighten correctly. Replacing the frog link and upgrading to titanium bolts will not help. Stuck with noise forever....

mtbr member
    I think you need a better LBS. I've been using the Scalpel since the beginning. The large bolts are the least of your problems. The part that requires the most attention are the teflon bushings between link and frame.