my church is the woods

Scalpel carbon downtube protection?

Does anyone know of a down tube protective cover, a molded piece of sorts, that is designed to fit the Scalpel carbon 29er? I looked at cannondaleexperts.com, they have them for the Jekyll carbon and other models, but nothing for the Scalpel.

Several friends have damaged their down tubes, smacking log-overs and other obstacles on trail, just in front of the chainrings. Here's pics of one:

Scalpel carbon downtube protection?-imag0247-medium-.jpgScalpel carbon downtube protection?-imag0248-medium-.jpg

Unstable Corruption

you may try Skean Morpho, a great universal rubber thingy, it does protect the frame and available in different colors.
    it can be fitted to almost any frame, just need some time and a sharp knife to cut it for a perfect fit.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008

My LBS put this on my Carbon 1 before I took delivery. Been happy with it so far. It is just a generic shield.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Think you need a KP054, would this do the job?

https://qwerty-cycles.myshopify.com/...uffguard-kp054

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I use this on my scalpel, only had the bike a couple months in winter, but it seems to do the job so far:
    Shelter Bike Frame Protection

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well guys, these kind of carbon protection for any model is what a local store is doing www.pulse100.gr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel carbon downtube protection?-20130221_174652.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

2014 Scalpel

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Does anyone know of a down tube protective cover, a molded piece of sorts, that is designed to fit the Scalpel carbon 29er? I looked at cannondaleexperts.com, they have them for the Jekyll carbon and other models, but nothing for the Scalpel.

Several friends have damaged their down tubes, smacking log-overs and other obstacles on trail, just in front of the chainrings. Here's pics of one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0247 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	771500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0248 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	771501
    Recently I walked into my local Cannondale shop and saw that 2014 models now come with a plastic downtube protector stock. It looks pretty slick, it's plastic.

Interestingly enough it looked like all the 2014 models including hardtails now come with heavy duty downtube protectors.

local LBS can probably order 1 for your Scalpel 29er...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My 2013 scalpel 1 had damage there too. I had a carbon repair done and it was a perfect repair. Paid him for the job only to get home, was showing a friend, and he notice a hairline crack at the shock mount and top tube. Keep an eye on those shock mounts. I need to look into some downtube protection.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    My 2013 scalpel 1 had damage there too. I had a carbon repair done and it was a perfect repair. Paid him for the job only to get home, was showing a friend, and he notice a hairline crack at the shock mount and top tube. Keep an eye on those shock mounts. I need to look into some downtube protection.
    Did you know Cannondale has a lifetime frame warranty, I've never had issues with getting a free frame replacement in the past. As long as you are the original owner then you've pretty much got yourself a free frame replacement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Fully aware of warranty. Lifetime if it's a manufacturers' defect like with my shock mount. As with most of these frames that are damaged in this spot, mine was probably caused by a rock getting kicked up. Its a pretty exposed area. Most of these are not JRA cracks. But who knows?
    Bottom line is some protection there is a very good idea and Cannondale will take care of the majority of frame issues.