mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Scalpel Carbon 2 - Tire suggestion

Just picked up a new 2013 Scalpel Carbon 2. On the maiden voyage the rear tire caught a sharp rock that put a 1" slice in the side walls. I was running tubless, so went completly flat. Good think I had a spare tube. Tire is booted for now and working ok, but wont last long. Will need a new tire. Any suggestions on a more durable option than the Racing Ralphs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    RoRo/RaRA Snake Skin ?
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    There is actually two versions of the Racing Ralphs. I had a set that came with my Flash when I bought it new. I ended up replacing the wheel set with a brand new take off set of Reynolds from a '13 F29 which had the lighter weight Ralphs like you apparently have as well and I had the same thing happen to me. Side wall blew out due to a sharp rock. I have my old Ralphs and they have a heavier sidewall as well are slightly heavier tire. If you like the Ralphs as I do for the tread pattern, just look for the heavier ones and you should be good. Any light weight racing tire is gonna have the same issue you just went through no matter the brand.

Happy Trails

Scalpel Carbon 2 - Tire suggestion

I took the RaRa's off mine at the shop, and replaced with two 2.2" Maxxis Ikon EXC Evo's for mostly dry, rocky Arizona desert XC riding. I don't know what EXC abbreviation stands for, but this version is a little more durable than the non-EXC version. In any event, I've had good luck with them so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I just swtiched to a set of Maxxis Ikons with the EXC, which i guess is some extra sidewall protection. The sidewalls seem much more durable than the Racing Ralphs. Plus, tubeless set up was easy. I was able to set them with a floor pump, which is nice. We'll see on they perform. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Loving the Scalpel. Extremely quick. Still dialing it in.