Thread: Scalpel 96er

mtbr member
    May 2006

Scalpel 96er

Has anyone tried setting up a Scalpel with a 29in front wheel on their Lefty? Just wandered if anyone thinks it would be a good idea to try.

mad aussie

I would imagine it would make a mess of the handling with the large front wheel and slack head angle. You would have to rename it from "Scalpel" to "Blunt Mallet" or something like that.
    Wait until they introduce a 29'er version of the Carbon Scalpel or Rush, or put a Lefty on a Jet9 or Spider. Please dont do that to an innocent Scalpel.

Kevin

mtbr member
    I'm wondering this too..Mendoncyclesmith had worked on someones lefty and reduced it to 80mm travel for 29" I believe. That wouldnt alter the Scalpel's racer steering too radically...maybe?
    Ive wondered this for my '03 Jekylls frontend

LA CHÈVRE
    What's the purpose of having a 29" wheel up front and a 26" wheel at the back?
    Is it just because 29er bikes are not 'different' enough anymore? I'm just wondering...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The only reason I was thinking about it was to see if it would roll over objects better, without having to have as soft of a front fork or as much travel. It was just a random idea.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I keep saying I'll do this, and things get in my way. My shock is finally back in service. I'll try it tonight. This is a different thread, but many have asked, Scalpel, Prophet, etc. So I will have an answer shortly, not that my word on it will be the deciding factor in whether they become cool or not....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I keep saying I'll do this, and things get in my way. My shock is finally back in service. I'll try it tonight. This is a different thread, but many have asked, Scalpel, Prophet, etc. So I will have an answer shortly, not that my word on it will be the deciding factor in whether they become cool or not....
    Oh but it does, or it does more than you think it does.
    CDT

mad aussie
    You reduce the travel to 80mm, but that is just to stop the tire from bottoming on the crown. The axle to crown distance is still the same, but now you have an extra 1 1/2 inch of wheel radius raising the front end, plus increased trail. Your Scalpel now has a Prophet like 68 degree head angle plus increased trail. You could roll over trail obstacles more easily because you probably couldnt steer around them!
    Now you have me curious, I will have to take my Scalpel, take some measurements and then add a 29 inch front wheel from a Caffeine and remeasure to see what difference it makes.

Kevin

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Okay, I tried it, and it's definately slacker than I prefer, no wonder I run my Prophet in XC..... Overall, tonight's ride convinced me that I prefer 29" wheels, front and rear. I say, if you have access to a Lefty 29er wheel, try it, it'll get your attention, the rest is up to you.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    So on a longer travel (Jekyll/Prophet/maybe Rush) the geometry wouldnt get so slack

mad aussie
    The geometry would get even slacker on a Rush. If I understand Mendon that if you did the 29 front with a Prophet and ran it in XC setting you would get similar head angles to "freeride" setting.
    Best bet to run the Lefty with an 3-2-1 adaptor on the 29'er frame of your choice, or wait for the full suspension 29'ers from Cannondale.

Kevin

Good For You
    I raised the front wheel on my Rush 1.5" and measured the head angle. Stock it is 69*, and raised it becomes ~68*. Personally I would like a slacker headangle on a Scalpel, I dont know what it is stock but I know it is steeper than my Rush. And my Rush handles like a dream with its head angle.

Also, there are different reasons for putting a 29" wheel on the front of a 26" wheeled bike. I believe the main (but seperate) 2 reasons are: 1) those who want the benefits of a 29" wheel but dont want to commit, or cannot spend the money on a full on 29er. And 2) There are others that believe the 29"/26" combo (aka 96er) is a superior design to the 29er pulling the best attributes from both bikes.

I think most bickering found (in the 96er forum) for or against these bikes is caused by the failure to seperate these two reasons for building such a bike.