mtbr member
    May 2007

Scalpel 3. Good Enough??

Hi friends, I mainly do road cycling, but I also enjoy XC marathon using a Jekyll 700-2001, and I decided to buy a pure XC bike. My budget is not so high, therefore I am thinking about buying the Scalpel 3, which uses some brands I have never used, as sram, and avid. Additionally, Scalpel 3 uses Fox rp2 whereas Scalpel 2 and 1 Fox rp23. Of course, Scalpel 3 is also heavier than their sisters Scalpel 2 and 1. But is it really worth to pay the difference?? After all, I just made about six to eight runs a year, so, may be I can put myself on diet and loss some weight and save some money?? Any advices?!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machete
    Hi friends, I mainly do road cycling, but I also enjoy XC marathon using a Jekyll 700-2001, and I decided to buy a pure XC bike. My budget is not so high, therefore I am thinking about buying the Scalpel 3, which uses some brands I have never used, as sram, and avid. Additionally, Scalpel 3 uses Fox rp2 whereas Scalpel 2 and 1 Fox rp23. Of course, Scalpel 3 is also heavier than their sisters Scalpel 2 and 1. But is it really worth to pay the difference?? After all, I just made about six to eight runs a year, so, may be I can put myself on diet and loss some weight and save some money?? Any advices?!?!?!?
    bike weight and your body weight are different -- you'll notice the bike's weight a lot more. but if you're racing (or riding?) 6-8 times a year you're probably fine. also if you're riding xc marathons, you should consider the rush, which is the bike c-dale acually puts out for exactly that. 4" in the rear (as opposed to 2.5") and slacker geometry makes for greater comfort over long rides. As for the Scalpel models, the 3 has a lefty and a good parts spec (juicy 7s), though the crossland wheels are heavy. but the rush would be my advice.

mad aussie
    6-8 marathons a year is still quite a bit of racing. I started marathon racing last year and originally began on a Rush. I then had the chance to try and properly set up Scalpel and loved the lighter weight and responsiveness of the bike. I would point out that for nearly all his races Tinker uses his Scalpel and they were the bikes of choice for the Cdale riders at the Cape Epic races.
    I think the Scalpel 3 could be a good choice, a lighter custom wheelset would save some weight.
    Unfortunately mine has now turned into a project to get the weight into the 22lb range.
    I actually find the Scalpel suspension to work quite well for what travel it has.

As far as weight goes, I have to disagree, when you are climbing a steep grade your body weight and that of the bike both pull you back down. That is why top XC racers are pretty skinny.

In addition to shedding about 4lb off my original bike I also put myself on a diet to get down from 147lb and 12% body fat to 6% and 139lb. All I can say is that it made a big difference to my riding, just make sure you dont shed weight too quicly so you compromise lean muscle. Plus the weight loss requires only willpower rather than a lot of money.

Another option could be to wait for the new Scalpel or its replacement. 90mm of travel and lighter than the Rush.

Kevin

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree with the Flying Wombat, the Rush is more a XC bike aimed to be confortable while the Scalpel is more performance oriented. I have a friend that uses his Scalpel for what many would consider All Mountain and it does work well at a very nice to have light weight. It all depends how you like your bikes to feel and where you will ride them. Most races are not the most bumpy and rocky trails, nothing the Scalpel can't handle. If you are having back problems or if you want the bike for some more aggressive trail riding, I would say go with the Rush but if you are looking for a race bike, the Scalpel is a better choice.

As for the Scalpel replacement, not only will it be lighter than a Rush, it should also be lighter than the current Scalpel...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007

Scalpel 2008 looks like e Rush

Well, thank to all for yours advices, by now I am still going for the Scalpel, may be I will expend some extra money later changing the wheels for something lighter. The only thing which worries me a bit is that 2008 prototype of Scalpel just looks very similar to the actual Rush. Could that mean Cannondale believe the Rush is more effective than the Scalpel??

LA CHÈVRE
    The only thing that looks alike is that the shock is under the top tube, the rest is very different. There is still flexing chainstays rather than an actual pivot, they eliminated the pivots at the dropouts and replaced them with slightly bending seatstays and there is a swing link (like the Judge or Perp but much lighter) that compresses the shock. Very different layouts. That doesn't make the Scalpel any lesser bike than it was but I think the new bike will be an improvement in stiffness, lightweight and it will require less care with less pivots. The only thing is, it probably wont be available before fall...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :