Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Scalpel 29er Tricons

I'm looking at a getting a Scalpel 29er with DT Swiss Tricon 1550s on it. I'm seeing some of these pop up for sale (classifieds and ebay). This made me wonder if these wheels are a weak point on this bike. Every year the market is flooded with Specialized owners dumping the Roval wheels off their highend 29ers. Is the same going to be true for the Tricons?

Anyone riding them have a real weight? The DT Swiss website says ~1800 gms. which was pretty light about 7 years ago, but not these days.

How about the engagement? Is it like Chris Kings (fast) or American Classics (slow)?

I guess if I'm looking at a bike in this price range the thought may be that I can afford to swap the wheels without a care, but at this price I'd hope not to have to swap the "stock wheels".

TIA

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been on the Scalpel 1 for about 3 weeks. Converted my American Classic/Stans wheels to a 142X12 Thru axle and mounted them right up. The Tricons weigh 1870. The Stans weigh 1424. That's a pound in my book. I think the wheel quality is very good though and they'll make very good everyday wheels. Engagement is between CK and AC. If you want to save a bit of cash, I suggest getting the Scalpel 2 and upgrading the wheels, shifters, and seatpost. It'll be cheaper and about 23.5 LBS in a large.

banned
    My Tricons came in at 1910g. Have been using them for the last 2 weeks waiting on my Project 321's to come in.

At first I just wanted to get rid of them due to their weight, but after riding them, I am keeping them. Craftmanship is incredible and they do not feel as heavy when riding. Spin up is excellent and they have to be the stiffest wheel I have ever used. Will now use them as my everyday wheels and race them in the real technical races that tend to taco some wheelsets.

As far as going with the 2, skeeter makes a good point, but left out the $1500 in crank and Lefty upgrades.

My large weighs 23.4 with Tricons, Racing Ralphs 2.35, pedals and cage.
    With Project 321 wheels, IKONS, pedals and cage 21.8

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks guys.
    I worked a wheel swap with the shop owner, and ordered one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Cannondale Scalpel 29'er DT wheels

I just picked up my Scalpel Carbon 1 29'er. Great bike but I was putting air in the tires and both wheels, front & back had the tires jump off. Explode and potato chipped both wheels! Front was at 40psi and went while pumping right in my face. Had already filled the back to 40. Dropped it to about 35psi and 1/2 hour later we heard a large 'bang' in the garage. Back one let go too. Damaged the rim but not as bad as front one. These are the Schwalbe tires that come with the bike. Tubeless. Exploded in my face.... I'd recommend using tubes but If going tubeless, no more than about 25-30psi even though rated up to 54psi on the tire. They should be warranted by Cannondale or DT Swiss s they are both ruined. Just a note of caution!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ^ pictures or it didnt happen. ^

Livin' the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by images View Post
    I just picked up my Scalpel Carbon 1 29'er. Great bike but I was putting air in the tires and both wheels, front & back had the tires jump off. Explode and potato chipped both wheels! Front was at 40psi and went while pumping right in my face. Had already filled the back to 40. Dropped it to about 35psi and 1/2 hour later we heard a large 'bang' in the garage. Back one let go too. Damaged the rim but not as bad as front one. These are the Schwalbe tires that come with the bike. Tubeless. Exploded in my face.... I'd recommend using tubes but If going tubeless, no more than about 25-30psi even though rated up to 54psi on the tire. They should be warranted by Cannondale or DT Swiss s they are both ruined. Just a note of caution!
    I can vouch. I did the exact same thing to my front wheel, Tricon rim ruined. The tire is fine, but LBS is saying no go on warranty. Debating what to do now.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I hope you guys get those wheels warrantied.

Sounds like a new type of warranty claim. As opposed to JRA we now have JAMiT= Just Airing my Tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post

As far as going with the 2, skeeter makes a good point, but left out the $1500 in crank and Lefty upgrades.
    What is the difference between the Scalpel 1 and Scalpel 2 Lefty?

Edit: nevermind, I see the Scalpel 1 gets a carbon variant.
    Last edited by MiddleRinger; 02-16-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Livin' the Dream
    Wow, that's great. Did they warranty them for you?
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought the bike from Northampton Bike (Northampton, Mass) and they were great. Inexplicable that the tires/rims would do such a thing but they did and both rims were ruined! Fantastic service though! Got a new set of Tricons from the Shop/Cannondale within two weeks so I am happy/impressed. Turns out the rear hub bearing was bad too. All this yet not even ridden yet! Notchy, so the replacement set was what the doctor ordered. If you're to go over 30/35 psi on these things with the Ralphs, you need to go with tubes and not tubeless!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Must have...? I know Cannondale sent a brand new set for me and the old ones were there, still, waiting to be shipped back. Everyone was looking at me sceptically, which I can understand, thinking it must have been run over, or something? They asked me to bring in the bike, just to look at it, which I did, and as I said, it had not even been ridden yet, which was obvious when they looked at it. Glad they took care of it. Brand new, very expensive bike, so I was happy it was handled! Good people. I think the issue is not so much the Tricons, but the Ralphs/tubeless. Frankly, I'll take the weight of the tubes as I like to very the psi as I go from road to trail and then again for different types of trail terrain.... Bringing it to Arizona in two-weeks!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    My Tricons came in at 1910g. Have been using them for the last 2 weeks waiting on my Project 321's to come in.

At first I just wanted to get rid of them due to their weight, but after riding them, I am keeping them. Craftmanship is incredible and they do not feel as heavy when riding. Spin up is excellent and they have to be the stiffest wheel I have ever used. Will now use them as my everyday wheels and race them in the real technical races that tend to taco some wheelsets.

My large weighs 23.4 with Tricons, Racing Ralphs 2.35, pedals and cage.
    With Project 321 wheels, IKONS, pedals and cage 21.8
    Any pics..
    I'm coming from an Epic and curious to know what you like and don't like if anything...
    Thanks

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Must have...? I know Cannondale sent a brand new set for me and the old ones were there, still, waiting to be shipped back. Everyone was looking at me sceptically, which I can understand, thinking it must have been run over, or something? They asked me to bring in the bike, just to look at it, which I did, and as I said, it had not even been ridden yet, which was obvious when they looked at it. Glad they took care of it. Brand new, very expensive bike, so I was happy it was handled! Good people. I think the issue is not so much the Tricons, but the Ralphs/tubeless. Frankly, I'll take the weight of the tubes as I like to very the psi as I go from road to trail and then again for different types of trail terrain.... Bringing it to Arizona in two-weeks!
    Very strange, been testing on a Scalpel 2 from Cannondale rep, Racing Ralphs at 35psi, no problems at all.
    Running at 26psi now, getting used to the quick steering, Luvin the bike, having an 1 built tomorrow, enve carbons with 321 hubs on the way...

GOING OVER TO THE LEFTSIDE...
    ENJOY THE RIDE

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Cannondale Scalpel 29'er DT wheels

The bike is fantastic. Best MTB I've ridden/had, 26 or 29'er. Very quick for what it is and the suspension seems to work really well. I think the issue was with the Ralph's, over 35/40psi without tubes, they expand enough to jump the rim and bam! they go and the wheels taco. Tubes are negligible in terms of weight and worth saving the headache. Again, though, the bike is great and Cannondale & the LBS were fantastic as I had a replacement set of full Tricons within two-weeks... Bike's pricey but money well spent as far as I am concerned!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Any pics..
    I'm coming from an Epic and curious to know what you like and don't like if anything...
    Thanks
    Absolutely love the bike. But has had some problems not related to the frame. Ripped off 3 derailleurs in the first 4 rides. Right now Lefty is at C-Dale getting warrantied,

Can post pics once I get it back together. So far fastest bike I have had and handles technical sections extremely well. Raced a Superfly last year and a Niner Jet 9 before that. Beats both of those bikes easily. Also climbs great, yet to find a real weakness yet. Real happy with the ride and fit.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Absolutely love the bike. But has had some problems not related to the frame. Ripped off 3 derailleurs in the first 4 rides. Right now Lefty is at C-Dale getting warrantied,

Can post pics once I get it back together. So far fastest bike I have had and handles technical sections extremely well. Raced a Superfly last year and a Niner Jet 9 before that. Beats both of those bikes easily. Also climbs great, yet to find a real weakness yet. Real happy with the ride and fit.
    How long have you had the bike before forks needed the service

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Schwalbe tubeless ready tires had lots of reports of doing this last year on Stans rims. I love how they ride, but from those reports I went back to maxxis last year. Seems it only started happening when Schwalbe made the move to tubeless ready.

LA CHÈVRE
    Frankly, I'll take the weight of the tubes as I like to very the psi as I go from road to trail and then again for different types of trail terrain.... Bringing it to Arizona in two-weeks!
    Tubeless is not about the weight if you ask me (and weight was not a priority on the Tricons either apparently) but the added grip, better rolling resistance and less flats... in 2012, a mountain bike rim that can't be run tubeless is a big failure. But it seems to be just about the Tricons and Schwalbe combo. Are the Tricons UST certified? Because the tubeless ready Schwalbes work well on UST rims... and other non-UST rims like NoTubes...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    Tubeless is not about the weight if you ask me (and weight was not a priority on the Tricons either apparently) but the added grip, better rolling resistance and less flats... in 2012, a mountain bike rim that can't be run tubeless is a big failure. But it seems to be just about the Tricons and Schwalbe combo. Are the Tricons UST certified? Because the tubeless ready Schwalbes work well on UST rims... and other non-UST rims like NoTubes...
    I've been running tubeless now for about four days. Have hard 66miles (I'm not a smooth rider) and no issues. Running 28lbs in rear and 25lbs in front. These are on the DT Swiss Tricons 1550 with Stans tape and sealant...

mtbr member
    Ok ready to pull the trigger on a Scalpel. Really you guys are having issues with an 8 grand bike before you even ride it. Wow maybe I should look somewhere else. But it also sounds like it is a great bike once its dialed in. Any help or comments would help before I spend that kind of cash...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Ok ready to pull the trigger on a Scalpel. Really you guys are having issues with an 8 grand bike before you even ride it. Wow maybe I should look somewhere else. But it also sounds like it is a great bike once its dialed in. Any help or comments would help before I spend that kind of cash...
    Don't dismiss the Scalpel because of the tubeless issues... I haven't had any problems with the tubeless set-up , you just just need a little more patience setting it up and as far as the bike goes... you can't do any better other than maybe the New Ultimate . I rode for another ten hours over the past weekend and I can't express how much I enjoy the ride . I love the compliance of that front shock. Rolls over everything with no binding. IMHO it climbs like no other fs out there period and I'll bet better than quite a few hard tails too. The lefty shock really make quite a difference.
    Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've been running tubeless now for about four days. Have hard 66miles (I'm not a smooth rider) and no issues. Running 28lbs in rear and 25lbs in front. These are on the DT Swiss Tricons 1550 with Stans tape and sealant...[/QUOTE]

No need for tape with the tricons.

I sold mine super cheap. Probably should have kept them instead of my stan's crests. They roll great and don't flex like the crests. My enve wheels get most of the play so the crests are set up with a little more grip for those greasy days when a ralph and raven don't cut it.

As far as the bike, top notch and I like it better than the sworks epic 29er I was on last season. They are both great bikes. I just like this one better. Maybe because the scalpel is mine and not a sponsored ride that I have to give back at the end of the season. Scalpel has a stiffer bottom bracket than epic. Lefty has a nicer feel over the small bumps. The epic derailleur hanger could not be straightened and never shifted quite right. Both are fast bikes and climb great but I am ok being brain free. The brain worked well but if you get the set up right on the scalpel shock you'll be good.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    I've been running tubeless now for about four days. Have hard 66miles (I'm not a smooth rider) and no issues. Running 28lbs in rear and 25lbs in front. These are on the DT Swiss Tricons 1550 with Stans tape and sealant...
    No need for tape with the tricons.

I sold mine super cheap. Probably should have kept them instead of my stan's crests. They roll great and don't flex like the crests. My enve wheels get most of the play so the crests are set up with a little more grip for those greasy days when a ralph and raven don't cut it.

As far as the bike, top notch and I like it better than the sworks epic 29er I was on last season. They are both great bikes. I just like this one better. Maybe because the scalpel is mine and not a sponsored ride that I have to give back at the end of the season. Scalpel has a stiffer bottom bracket than epic. Lefty has a nicer feel over the small bumps. The epic derailleur hanger could not be straightened and never shifted quite right. Both are fast bikes and climb great but I am ok being brain free. The brain worked well but if you get the set up right on the scalpel shock you'll be good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the only reason I added the tape is because my LBS had similar tubeless issues and somehow by adding the tape it helped solve the "new" racing ralphs tire issues on the tricon rim problem, many people are experiencing.
    BTW I also own an Epic, the Evo not the Sworks and I also prefer the Scalpel more than the Epic. I'm running 1x10 just like on my Epic, and the Scalpel rocks. Both are great bikes but like you said, I also prefer the Scalpel.
    That lefty shock is something else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast