mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Scalpel 29er sizing question

I had the chance to demo a Scalpel 29er 1 a few weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. I am probably going to end up with a Scalpel 29er 2; I guess I can live without the carbon lefty and the Reynolds wheels. Anyway, I am 5'6", with a 29" inseam. I currently ride a 15.5" Gary Fisher Paragon. I assumed I would need a small Scalpel;unfortunately, the demo truck didn't have a small (it was stolen at a demo, apparently). I rode a medium, and was surprised at how comfortable I felt on it. Even with the Lefty, the bars were more or less at the same height as my Paragon, and the top tube length and standover felt good. I guess my question is this: does the Scalpel run small? I have ridden a small size Superfly 100, and a small Niner Jet 9; both of those bikes felt similar to the medium Scalpel. Anyone my height riding a Scalpel 29er? What size are you riding? Any help appreciated.

mtbr member
    Didn't think they made them smaller than medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Cannondale makes a small Scalpel, but not a small Flash 29er. just wondering if anyone my size (5'6") has a Scalpel, and if so, what size are you riding.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, was thinking of the flash. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I ride a medium scalpel. Feels very comfortable.