mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 rear shock question

Love the bike! Fork seems to be typical, which is to say stiff and smooth. Rear seems too harsh though. I do understand that is intended to be "racy". Just seems like no plushness or small bump sensitivity. Bike is a large and I weigh 165. Fox RP23 set with 25% sag. Enve XC rims with Conti X Kings set up tubeless, running about 28 psi. I've tried slowing the rebound already. Even with pro pedal off it just seems too harsh, especially compared to the front. What about a different Fox shock or different brand altogether? What about tuning from PUSH? It just seems that other than this complaint, it would be the perfect bike. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    As you said, this is an XC bike after all...
    Do you want a sponge or a mean racing machine ???
    I have both the Flash and the Scalpel, and the scalpel is soooo much plusher than the Flash.
    Rode the Flash after 5 rides with the new Scalpel, and surprisingly I didn't find it too punishing.

Assuming the shock is not defective, did you try to reduce the air pressure at 5 psi intervals so you are in the 30% sag and see if it makes it plusher ?
    How about reducing the PSI on the tires to 25 psi ?
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A