mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Scalpel 29er Alloy 3 Questions...?

I'm interested in this one as well as the 2,
    for a few reasons.

a bit more durable, maybe (i know this a huge debate, and not opening it, just stating my gut feeling)

actual pivot on seat stay, so maybe more active then flexing carbon stays

simple look, doesn't scream "matching lycra kit racer boy" like the carbon,

I like the fox shock on it over the rock shox on the 2, don't need lockout.

I can afford to upgrade wheels to project 321 w/ new ARCH EX rims and get the 2mm wider/lighter arch

BUT:

Some unanswered questions:

1. does it have the same ability to change the head tube angle as the carbon? I like the thought of being able to go slacker to make it more of a trailbike, but of course won't kwow until i ride both settings.
    2. no idea of frame weight, is i just 1lb heavier, 1.5lb? is the alloy high end Cdale, or just a place holder price point spec.
    3. does it come w/ a double or triple. Cannondale pic on website shows triple, spec says double. i'd like it to come w/ a triple, since I have a great double guide system to set up on a triple chainring and easily convert to 1x. doubles aren't as clean or easy to get chainline right i believe.
    4. does it have the 142 rear hub? if not, maybe i'd go with the DT rws system to stiffen rear, but like the idea of hte 142.

anyone know any of this?

Thx!
    Holiday

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Questions...

I don't know the answer to the weight or angle questions for as for the rear hub/axle size, that is answered on Cannondales website for the Scalpel 3 Alloy.

SCALPEL 29'ER 3

I'm interested in this bike as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any updates to this thread? I just order one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    gy fork is sealed and protected from the elements(just biked today in light rain 10 miles). The lock out on the Lefty works great. Have not had any issues with the Fox Performance CTD rear shock. The bike is great for training, love burning out the legs and feeling the PAIN.
    At what price points have you seen or purchased the bike at? Lot of bang for the buck with this one and it has a good upgrade potential.Auto-SavedRestore Auto-Saved Content.cke_skin_kama{visibility:hidden;}
    // vB_Editor['vB_Editor_QR'] = new vB_Text_Editor('vB_Edito

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Okay so that did not get posted correctly.......trying again. Amazing bike, handles very well, got up to 26 miles per hour while sprinting on a dirt trail with only flat pedals. Great bike to train on, love riding hard and burning out the Legs, feeling the Pain. The Lefty now has Hybrid needle bearing technology so it's sealed from the elements(biked 10 miles today in a light rain). The lock out on the Lefty works great, so it feels like a hardtail when you have it locked out and the rear shock in the Climb setting. Have not had any problems with the Fox Performance CTD rear shock. Mine came with the SunRingle Inferno wheels(are bit heavy) but rock solid and great for training.
    At what price points has anyone seen this bike being sold at? It's a lot of Bang for the Buck and the bike has good upgrade potential, but am happy riding it the way it is for the time being. 5 stars to this Beast.......it can take all you can give it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks just ordered it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweet, did you order the 2014 model? The 14 model of the Scalpel 29 er 3 has more red in it which looks good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have owned a 2013 Alloy 3 for 9 months now and it has been a fantastic bike for me. As long as you keep it maintained and the bearings reset in the front fork regularly. Just because it is the new style fork, the bearings do still need to be reset occasionally, which is as easy as letting all of the air out of the fork and riding it around the neighborhood for a few minutes, intentionally putting a little weight on it until it bottoms out. Fill it back up with air and it'll feel like a new fork... I AM NOT SURE THIS IS THE RECOMMENDED WAY TO DO THIS, BUT IT HAS WORKED FOR ME...
    Bike handles like a dream and although it has a racy geometry, it is all day comfortable.... Mine has Crest wheels, an XX1 crank set and some carbon bits and weighs in at 25 even with pedals.
    2013 C-Dale Scalpel
    2013 Scott Genius 930

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just purchased my first new Cannondale in 20 years, I was on a F400 with rock schock Indy's from the early/mid 90's. I stopped riding for many years, just lost interest and had injuries and kids and life happend..Recently my kids learned how to ride without training wheels so we can all bike ride together so I pulled down the old F400 from the loft after 12 years and tuned it up...I found there were trails right by my house that I never knew about and started putting in 5-9 miles a day for cardio..Well I started going riding with my old riding buddies and felt an upgrade was in order. I recently picked up a 2013 left over Scalpel 3 29er from Halter's bikes in NJ. I had no intention on buying a bike that day, but when I saw the $2100 closeout pricing on it, I bought it on the spot. I am glad I purchased it, it is so much more comfortable to ride and is a real game changer as far as the type of terrain you can handle.. I have not a negative thing to say about it other than a few minor adjustments it had to go back for, Im 10000% happy with it. Im 40 yo, 6 ft 275lbs and fairly athletic, and not only do I keep up with my buddies who are half my size, but I can zip right past them now!! I was amazed at how well it handles in turns, sand,over logs and uphill..This bike is awesome for my skill set and hopefully will give me years of enjoyment and health benefits.