Scalpel 29 Ride Report

Printable View

• 12-15-2011
    Asbury
    3 Attachment(s)
    Scalpel 29 Ride Report
    I picked up my new Cannondale Scalpel 29 Carbon 1 last Saturday. Wow! It is a very visually appealing bike to say the least. Some things the photos have not really shown were the width of the top tube and the S bend of the seat tube to make way for the front derailleur, very unique to be sure. The rear seat and chain stays are also very thick. In person, the bike just looks very aggressive and robust; it is nothing short of awesome. I ordered a large and elected to replace the XO brakes for the World cup version of XX. I decided to keep it a full SRAM kit for simplicity sake and also because my lbs has SRAM parts readily available. Weight on my size large was 23.04 lbs on the shop scale. Apart from adding an Arundel cage and XTR pedals it is bone stock.

So after picking it up on Saturday it was not until Monday that I was able to get my first ride in on the new machine. I want to preface my ride report with some of my experience. I am 62, 175 lbs and race CAT 1 XC, 100 milers, 24 hours, etc. Ive been moving away from XC towards endurance since Im getting tired of the pain of XC racing at 39! My previous bike was a Yeti ASR-C and I loved it. However, I had the chance to demo an Orbea 29er while the Yeti frame was being warrantied (for the 3rd time) and I really liked the feel of the 29er more underneath my gangly physique. The Yeti was an awesome bike but 3 frames being warrantied really concerned me so I sold it. I own a Cannondale Super Six and that is what led me to starting looking at this bike.

So first ride out: wow! When I first starting riding I knew from experience the big wheels would make the turns flow much more. This bike was better than the Orbea though because it rarely lost contact with the ground, despite how rough things became. Riding on hardback with heavy leaf cover with a root/rock scattered here there, I did not feel like I could override this bikes ability. I still did not push it to the limits, but I can say those limits are much greater than the Yetis. The adjective that kept running through my mind was direct. This bike is so precise, direct engagement of pedal input; direct feeling on the steering, direct shifting; everything just felt very connected if that makes sense. One example Ill give is running over a loose rock in the middle of the trail. Previous bikes would absorb the impact and then give a secondary bounce to the left or right, leading to a rough or unstable feeling. The Scalpel addressed this with a very secure feeling lateral bounce and rested back down with a very direct/solid feel. I think this has mostly to do with the combination of the Lefty and big wheel, but also contributing to this is the very noticeably light front end. This is the lightest front end I have ever felt on a bike, which has included carbon forks and high end 26 wheel sets. The pedaling input also feels very stiff and direct. It is the stiffest pedal input of any frame Ive ridden. I expected this because of the size of the PF30 BB and the massive seat stays and chain stays. One slight annoyance was that my calves would regularly hit the seat stay, nothing major and something I was able to overcome. On one climb that is very steep with rocks, Id have problems spinning out on the Yeti. I expected that not too happen on with this bike and I was right. The big wheels and suspension kept it securely hooked up and I motored up what used to be a 50/50 rideable hill. The Schwalbes only spun out one time climbing, but I think that was more gear selection and leaves over loose rocks. They seem like theyre going to work pretty well for me and running them at 27psi probably helped, but I think I may run them even lower next time out because the sidewall flex did not ever appear like I was coming close to the rim.

One other thing about this bike I noticed is that it is quiet, damn quiet. I kept trying to figure out what was different about the ride (besides the feel) and I realized I never heard the chain slap the frame. Im not sure if this is the XX derailleur or the design of the frame, but I noticed it and I really like it. The Yeti was louder than a busted chainsaw going through rock gardens, so maybe that it is why I noticed this bikes stealthy silence. The shifting also was very direct and quiet and I can tell that I am going to be very happy with the 2x10 setup. Having ridden XTR triple cranks for the last 6 years, this was a huge step up. If you been contemplating 2x10, do it; Im sold.

You can probably tell I am a huge fan of this bike, however; it cant always be all puppy dogs and ice cream. Some things that werent what I expected. As I mentioned I changed out the XOs to the XX WC brakes. Ive had Avid brakes in the past and I havent been a fan. Im not sure Ive changed my mind on these brakes. After riding XTR these felt really industrial on their modulation. I just dont like the metal on metal feeling you get with Avid/Sram brakes. I may switch the pads to organic to see if that will help because overall power is fine. One other strange thing is the cable routing on this bike. It looks like an afterthought. The derailleur cables run on the underneath side of the down tube, but the rear brake line runs on the top left of the down tube, being secured by a clamp that doubles as the lower bolt for the bottle cage. It makes for a weird juncture at the left side crank arm and really just kind of looks ugly on an otherwise beautiful bike. I dont know why they would not have just had all 3 cables/lines run down the bottom of the down tube. Nothing major, but I thought Id mention it. The area reserved for the bottle cage is also a little tight, but I was still able to use a 24oz bottle with just a slightly different process to get it removed and resecured quickly. These are not huge issues and do not take away from the primary purpose of the bike.

I have a pretty good bar to seat drop and I really feel secure and fast on this bike. I think I read on another forum somewhere the feeling of sitting in the bike vs. on the bike. I just feel it click in as soon as the pedals start turning. This bike does everything very well and I have no doubt we will see several thousand miles together, miles that will be seen a lot more quickly and comfortable than I have experienced in the past!
    (A few pics from the maiden ride)
    EDIT: Put paragraphs back in!
  • 12-15-2011
    pschly
    WOW! Santa plz I just want this bike...
  • 12-15-2011
    Dan Gerous
    Now that's one big paragraph!
  • 12-15-2011
    Asbury
    Ha! Yeah, I cut and pasted it and lost my formatting. Hopefully it was still easy enough to follow.
  • 12-15-2011
    Cero
    Asbury - really like your bike!

How is the pedal efficiency if you keep the shock open? Does it bob a lot?
  • 12-15-2011
    Catxl
    I am in love with the Scalpel 3, that of aluminium, but here in Spain they were starting coming in March - April, 2012.
  • 12-15-2011
    keetoo
    thanks for the very nice review, now i really can't wait to have mine...
  • 12-16-2011
    nathanbal
    Awesome!
  • 12-16-2011
    cocheese
    Great review! I've been considering a 29er fs and this one is at the top of the list right now. Can you tell me your saddle?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
  • 12-16-2011
    Quinner
    drool and drool. BTW what width are your handlebars? They look narrow or is it just the angle of the shot?
  • 12-16-2011
    Asbury
    Cero - I did not really notice pedal bob. I had read in some of the professional reviews that pedal bob was an issue, but I did not notice it as being overly active. Once I get some more time on it I'll post back up on that issue. When standing and climbing the front shock was very active though so the lock out will come in handy for that type of stuff.
    Cocheese - The saddle is the Fizik Tundra that came stock. I thought it was pretty hard, but it may just be that it takes a while to break in. If it doesn't soften up in the next few rides; I am switching back to my all time favorite, the Gobi.
  • 12-16-2011
    Cero
    Thanks for the info Asbury.
    Im thinking to get myself a scalpel 2 and where I live there wont probably be any available until march thats why all this questions.

So do you think that this bike can allso be used as a XC race bike?
  • 12-16-2011
    Asbury
    I think you could absolutely use it as a cross country bike, I plan to.
  • 12-16-2011
    Mhersh
    I picked up my Scalpel 1 yesterday. Went full XTR except for the Cannondale SI Cranks which I kept. Swapped out for a carbon seat post, and a Sella Italia at 135grams, the bike w/o pedals or cage came in at 22.56 LBS. I got to ride it today for about an hour over a local dirt road up about a 1500 foot climb. I was concerned because unlike my old bike you cannot fully lockout the rear shock, though you can the front. Not to worry, during the climb there is very little peddle bob. There is an adjustment on the rear shock and for the climb I went to stiff mode and of course locked out the front. Super responsive handleing, very direct power to drive train and as Asbury says "direct engagement" is right on. On my 26er the 2 inch deep gravel near the top of the road was always troublesome. The 29er just rolls through this stuff with much less problem. On the way down, despite the much shorter travel of both the front and rear shocks than my old Jekyll 2000, this handles rocks, ruts and washboard with no problem. The scalpel seems very aptly named. Light, precise, direct and accurate, yet vs. The 26 e version of the Scalpel,
    more dampening in the shocks and a smoother ride resulting both from the suspension and the larger wheels.
  • 12-17-2011
    Dibbs_
    Nice report. Bike looks ace.
  • 12-17-2011
    LAN
    Can anyone measure the distance between the chainstays, ca 190mm behind the BB.

I would like to know if it's possible to mount XX 156mm crankset, or a SI SL with 122mm spindle.

Thanks in advance
    LAN
  • 12-17-2011
    mudhudgie
    Do you think the carbon frame is too unforgiving through the rough stuff? I have always heard that carbon fiber fatigues your body rather quickly, so, I am looking at the alloy 3 or 4 version.
  • 12-18-2011
    Asbury
    LAN - Not sure exactly what you want measured, but here goes. The inside width of the two chainstays, 190mm behind the bottom bracket, is 85mm.

mudhudgie - I don't the stiffness of the carbon fatigues your body anymore than aluminum. In fact I think the reduced weight of carbon would counteract any affects of the stiffness of the carbon. I've been on a carbon bike for the last 3 years and I think the added stiffness of the carbon helps put more of your energy into the turning of the pedals.
  • 12-19-2011
    LAN
    Sorry, I should have explained myself better.

I want to know the distance from outside to outside between the chainstays. I'd like to know if the narrow Sram XX crankset will fit. I think 130mm outside to outside is the maximum if you want to fitt the narrow XX crankset.

If you still don't understand where to measure, look at page 7 on this pdf from SRAM:

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...ifications.pdf

I would be very grateful if you would measure again :-)

Best regards
    LAN
  • 12-19-2011
    Spinning Lizard
    How do you like the DT Swiss Tricon wheels? Have one on order and cant get the weight of those wheels out of my head. They are a full 1/2 lb heavier then my current wheelset.
  • 12-19-2011
    Mhersh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    How do you like the DT Swiss Tricon wheels? Have one on order and cant get the weight of those wheels out of my head. They are a full 1/2 lb heavier then my current wheelset.

Yeah they're not the lightest, but they're built really beefy to take serious punishment. As well, they're wide and seamless and built very well for tubeless compatibality. I think they'll last a really long time, at least I'm hoping they are for the price they get. If you don't like them your LBS would probbly make you a good deal on the bike without them. Retail for about $1100 which is stupid but it is what it is.
  • 12-19-2011
    Asbury
    LAN, Looks like approximately 125mm. I say approximate because the chain stays are at different levels, and without calipers it's hard to be too exact. Hopefully this helps.
  • 12-20-2011
    LAN
    Thank you, looks like it will fit then. Now I just have to wait for mine to arrive, scheduled for March. At least I got my Supersix Evo for christmas.
  • 12-20-2011
    eliflap
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LAN View Post
    Can anyone measure the distance between the chainstays, ca 190mm behind the BB.

I would like to know if it's possible to mount XX 156mm crankset, or a SI SL with 122mm spindle.

Thanks in advance
    LAN

for the 122mm spindle i am trying to mount it on a Flash 29er HM
  • 12-31-2011
    Alpine rider
    Any further thoughts as you've had a chance to rude this bike more? Looking at this Scalpel or and expert epic.
  • 01-01-2012
    vlinder
    I doubt if I have "enough" when I only have 2x10 instead of 3x9? I like to cycle small when climbing..... because of my knee.
    Is it better for my buying a ATB with 3 in front?
  • 01-01-2012
    Asbury
    I've had several rides now, with the longest being a 4.5 hour training ride. All my initial thoughts are the same. This is the perfect machine for endurance races, I never came off the Yeti feeling as "fresh" as I did after being in the saddle of the Scalpel for several hours. The bike is just so solid. I don't think I'll ever ride a non Lefty bike again. Also, It's a great climber which has been very surprising to me. I wish there was a second bottle cage, but the seat post mounted Spec adapter has fixed that. The 2x10 has plenty of "granny" gear; I wouldn't be surprised to see 3x10's disappear altogether in a few years. All in all, very pleased.
  • 01-01-2012
    Mhersh
    I was out for an hour or so today burning off some overdone holiday cheer from last night. I agree with everything Asbury said though I rigged mine with a triple ring and I'm happy I did. I am not a Cat 1 racer though, just a citizens category guy and where I ride here in CO I use the 24/36 as well as the 42/11 so I enjoy the wider range of gear options. Totally bad ass climbing machine (hard to argue with 5 less pounds!), and although the suspension feels quite a bit stiffer than my old ride, the larger wheels just add enough extra stability that I don't miss the extra cush at all when headed down. Can't wait till spring to get it out on some single track, but I'm sure the XC racing community is going to embrace this bike in a big way. Even the more casual rider like myself will enjoy the precision performance and responsiveness, coupled with the forgiveness and greater stability inherent in a 29er.
  • 01-01-2012
    Mhersh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vlinder View Post
    I doubt if I have "enough" when I only have 2x10 instead of 3x9? I like to cycle small when climbing..... because of my knee.
    Is it better for my buying a ATB with 3 in front?

MY LBS was happy to swap out the original 2 ring front for a 3, used FSA spiders on the SI cranks, swapped front and rear derailleurs and rear casette for XTR.
  • 01-02-2012
    dancruz
    Where in Co. do you live Mhersh?....like to see it. ....up here in Fort Collins...
  • 01-02-2012
    Mhersh
    The bike or the route? I live up Coal Creek Canyon between Boulder and Golden ( Hwy 72 a couple miles up from 93) about an hour15 minutes drive to FC. The weathers been so good this week I rode " my hill" again today, about a 1500 foot climb to the top in dry conditions, but the last half mile is snow choked so maybe 1200 feet right now. Tell me how ton post a pic with an iPhone or iPad and I'll happily post a few shots.
  • 01-03-2012
    zeeke
    I did quite a bit of riding on my Scapel 2 this week. 2 hours thur, 3 friday, 5 saturday and 3 sunday and ive got to say I really like it.

Im coming from a santa cruz blur, this is my first 29er and what hits you the most is how you can really use your upper body and throw this thing into the corners. I mean you can really put some lean on it. I am from a motor cross and motorcycle road racing background and wow this bike was like going home. It honestly took me 15 minutes and I never thought about my blur again.

The other thing I noticed is the 39 front at first but then you realize that it just takes more to get the 29er going on slow tight stuff and when you think you want to spin you have to just put a bit more power to it and all is good. Amazing ones its going, so smooth.

I had a few instances on some really rough S turns that are pretty fast where same as the OP I felt like I honestly can feel the difference in the design of the lefty vs my fox rlc. It was still noticible the roots were there but I was able to just skip a bit and throw in back into the other side of the S every lap. Was never that fast in that S on the Blur.

It comes with 710mm bars....They are too wide for tight trees and I figured out fast I couldnt just wing it until I cut them down ;) Nice flight I had though. Got good points on the full front flip.

Do note that it doesnt come with a down tube protector sticker at all and you will want to grab one. I just used a lizard skin. Also doesnt come with a chain stay guard of any kind, not even sticker.

I will be using this bike for at least 4 100miler NUE races this year and a handful of 6 hours. Not sure of the whole season yet. I am really looking forward to it.

Oh and the Monarch is really sweet. Its one of the main reasons I didnt get the Carbon 1. Very smooth and feels way better than my RP23s. Im running 20lbs less air in the Monarch than the RP23s as well just fyi.

Ride one if you get a chance.
  • 01-06-2012
    briandwyer
    I never had a carbon trail bike.....
    Can this be used for a larger (220lb) rider out east where it is rocky and rooty? I don't want to spend this much money if I'm going to shred the bike. I do mostly trail riding - just a little concerned about the durability.....can anyone advise me? Thanks
  • 01-06-2012
    WarrenB
    Just got mine in last week. I had to go out of town right after it was put together.I am anxious to get the new off of it!

Glad to know you guys are enjoying them so much.
  • 01-06-2012
    Vasiliyg
    very nice review, thanks for sharing it.

what frame size is it?
  • 01-07-2012
    keetoo
    Are there any XL frames delivered yet ? I'm still waiting for my carbon 2 in XL
  • 01-07-2012
    eliflap
    complete article here :
    Scalpel 29er report eliflap

:thumbsup:

a friend has for 2 days this bike , stock version here in Italy , 10,7 kg :

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9113/...alpel29er1.jpg

saturday loop:

Uscita 07/01/2012 by barone86 at Garmin Connect - Details

his impressions in few words :

great grip when uphilling , no bobbing , great on the descents
  • 01-07-2012
    utah joe
    Ok despite having no brakes, I decided to hack something together and finally take my bike out for its first ride. Only set of brakes I had laying around was a set of old maguras from my karate monkey...they are too short and pretty beat, but they worked for now.

My current bike is a 2010 Epic 29er marathon and for 2 years I have been very happy with it. I have put about 3500 miles on it..done everything from cyclocross racing, 60 mile road rides, XC racing, endurance racing, downhill runs...pretty much everything. Its been an awesome bike and I really have very few complaints about it. So while I thought I would like the scalpel, I wasnt sure that it would blow me away compared to my Epic.

I took it to my favorite local spot that has a good amount of technical rock gardens, some decent climbs and some fast downhills. First thing I noticed on the mile long rail bed trip into the trail was that I did not notice the brain not being there. The rear just does not bob. I didnt bother to look at which of the 3 setting was the stiffest, so I just left it in the middle for a while. Felt fine. First section of trail I hit was a technical rocky climb and the bike was impressive and felt glued to the ground. compared to epic, the front end felt more planted and not as easily knocked offline. One thing I always loved about my Epic was how solid it felt when you were out of the saddle climbing. I tried this a number of times with the scalpel and I couldn't tell the difference. Feels very solid.

Downhill is where this bike most impressed me. The lefty is far better on rocky descents then the reba on my epic. Absolutely flies downhill.

In the technical bits, again it was impressive. Had no issues with the slow rolling rocky portions of the ride. This was something my epic did really well so I was hoping that the scalpel would be at least as good. I felt it was better. Im not sure of how the bb height compares to my epic, but it didnt feel as low. The scalpel does feel like it is easier to hustle over bigger logs...say like knee high.

I would say that turning feels about the same and I loved how the epic turned.... but when you factor in how well the lefty stays planted to the ground, I definitely felt that the scalpel was faster. Loved it.

In all I think its very much like my epic, but in every area, improved. Faster, climbs better, descends better....No complaints. Im really looking forward to swapping some lightweight parts onto it. As of now, the only things I have changed are the bars, hollowgram cranks, and tires. Brakes as well...but my R1's are not in yet.

First rock garden.
  • 01-08-2012
    Aaron D
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 664940
    It is here! It has a little drool on it but it's still awesome. I wish I could afford it as well as my Jekyll. But such as life.
  • 01-08-2012
    eliflap
  • 01-13-2012
    heumena
    I have bought also a C'dale Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 and the only issue I found are the cables. There are 2 cables underneath the frame and 1 cable that goes above. I have got the solution for this "problem": I replaced the C'dale cable guides with cable guides from Specialized...The cable guides from Specialized can handle three cables! Now are all my 3 cables together and the problem is solved! Looks much better! I will post pic's if needed...
  • 01-13-2012
    Asbury
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heumena View Post
    I have bought also a C'dale Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 and the only issue I found are the cables. There are 2 cables underneath the frame and 1 cable that goes above. I have got the solution for this "problem": I replaced the C'dale cable guides with cable guides from Specialized...The cable guides from Specialized can handle three cables! Now are all my 3 cables together and the problem is solved! Looks much better! I will post pic's if needed...

I'd love to see those pics if you've got some.
  • 01-13-2012
    dancruz
    heumena...what your take on the new Scalpel? Looking to order one myself...worth the the 8 grand?
  • 01-13-2012
    heumena
    I bought mine in Europe voor 6000 euro's (7662 dollar)... It's worth every euro... I have changed the following things:

Brakes

- Hope RACE Evo M4 2012 (front)
    - Hope RACE Evo X2 2012 (rear)
    - Hope Floating Rotor 183mm black (front)
    - Hope Floating Rotor 160mm black (rear)

Cockpit
    - ENVE MTB Stuur Sweep Bar OS
    - Ritchey WCS True Grips
    - Hope Matchmaker Hope For Sram
    - Hope Grip Doctor

Other

- ENVE seatpost (31,6mm x 400mm) and 25mm Offset
    - Fizik Antares Versus black
    - Maxxis Ikon 29 x 2.2
    - SRAM XX front derailleur
  • 01-13-2012
    zeeke
    Ive ridden over 30 hours on it in the past 2.5 weeks ive had it. All I can say is that it is a great bike. The most confidence inspiring bike ive ever ridden. I can rail around off camber root studded corner like no other. Its a great fun bike to ride.

The grips were too hard so I swithed those out, the seat and my arse didnt like each other at all so back to my WTB rocket v. Other than that im all stock and will remain so for a while. I really have no reason to upgrade right now.

I even bought a second set of the stock wheels off ebay that someone obviously upgraded. Im doing a lot of 100 mile races and needed spare wheels with different tires, cant beat them for the money. Of course id like some I9s ;) but 1300.00 can wait.

Our trails are really tight trees and lots of roots. The bike is amazing. Tomorrow im taking it out of town to do some rocky trails and will see how that goes.

Well worth the money. I thin the 2 is a better deal than the 1, but thats just my opinion and I could of had either one.
  • 01-14-2012
    Spinning Lizard
    Just road my Scalpel 1 for the first ride. Absolutely amazing! Rides so flickable for a 29er. Did not miss my Superfly even for 1 second. No regrets. One thing that was impressive, that had thought would be a drawback with the single pivot, was how it climbs.
  • 01-14-2012
    Mhersh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zeeke View Post

Well worth the money. I thin the 2 is a better deal than the 1, but thats just my opinion and I could of had either one.

Depends on the deal you can rangle with your LBS. When you consider the upgraded stand alone cost of the wheels, SI crank, and Carbon Lefty, not to mention the drivetrain components... I'd say the 1 at least offers solid value for the extra price. About $1000/pound of weight saving:). But, I got my 1 with all XTR and a carbon seat post for $6500 which I think is a pretty good relative price compared to what I believe others are paying. I do still like the paint job better on the 2 frame though.
  • 01-14-2012
    dancruz
    Glad to hear ...i'm getting closer to ordering one....
  • 01-16-2012
    Cero
    Can someone of the scalpel 29er owners please explaine how does the rear thru axle looks like?
    I know its a 12 mm but it is the quick release or how does it work to take the rear wheel our?

thanks
  • 01-16-2012
    heumena
    You can use the same tool which you use for your seatclamp. I am not sure what it is in English, but I think a hextool? Looks like a torx...

But you can replace it with a DT-Swiss quick release if you whish...
  • 01-16-2012
    utah joe
    5mm allen, same as a lefty front wheel.
  • 01-16-2012
    heumena
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    Can someone of the scalpel 29er owners please explaine how does the rear thru axle looks like?
    I know its a 12 mm but it is the quick release or how does it work to take the rear wheel our?

thanks

You can use the same tool which you use for your seatclamp. I am not sure what it is in English, but I think a hextool? Looks like a torx...

But you can replace it with a DT-Swiss quick release if you whish...
  • 01-16-2012
    Cero
    Thanks heumena. That is what I wanted to know. If its possible to replace it with dt quick release. I think its kind of strange not having a quick release if you are racing and you have to carry "hextool" every time with you. Especialy if you are using tubes.
  • 01-16-2012
    heumena
  • 01-16-2012
    heumena
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    I'd love to see those pics if you've got some.

Original :

Solution with Specialized Cableguides
  • 01-16-2012
    heumena
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cero View Post
    Thanks heumena. That is what I wanted to know. If its possible to replace it with dt quick release. I think its kind of strange not having a quick release if you are racing and you have to carry "hextool" every time with you. Especialy if you are using tubes.

I think this is the one: DT SWISS Schnellspanner HR RWS X-12 61g, 62,50
  • 01-16-2012
    Cero
    heumena: now Im 95 % sure to get myself a scalpel 2. I just need another 5% :)
  • 01-16-2012
    Vancemac
    Cero, I just took delivery of a 2. Could do without the green, but otherwise I couldn't be happier.

Heumena, did the cable position change require any change to length of the cable? The one that is currently on top of my downtube is the rear brake cable, and there is a little extra, so I don't anticipate any issues.
  • 01-16-2012
    heumena
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancemac View Post
    Heumena, did the cable position change require any change to length of the cable? The one that is currently on top of my downtube is the rear brake cable, and there is a little extra, so I don't anticipate any issues.

Nope! The standard length is enough! See additional pic's:

• 01-16-2012
    Mhersh
    In English we call it an Allen Wrench and you will need one to remove the wheel. Not sure what MM size is required and I'm not home to check. Didn't know you could replace it with a quick release skewer, thanks for that info.
  • 01-26-2012
    Alpine rider
    So would go Epic or Scalpel - I'm still trying to decide.
  • 01-27-2012
    Juza72
    Same problem here. The price for Scalpel 29er Carbon 2 and Epic 29 Expert Carbon is equal and I don't have an opportunity to test ride either one in the woods. Help, please:confused:
  • 01-27-2012
    Just J
    Hi guys

I'm having a test ride on a Scalpel next week, I am comparing it to a Scott Spark 29 Pro I rode last week.

Can you tell me please, does the Scalpel 29 have cable routing for a dropper post as I would want to run a Reverb on mine if I did get one?

• 01-27-2012
    Juza72
    Weights for the Carbon 1 and Carbon 2?
    Guys, many of you already got these sweeeet rides. The weights keep me wondering since there is quite a spread on the postings (forums and editorials). What is the weight of your bike, original specs and out-of-the-box? Cheers
  • 01-27-2012
    Vancemac
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Juza72 View Post
    Guys, many of you already got these sweeeet rides. The weights keep me wondering since there is quite a spread on the postings (forums and editorials). What is the weight of your bike, original specs and out-of-the-box? Cheers

This is just with my bathroom scale, which is digital, but not exactly a calibrated scientific instrument. Scalpel 2, out of the box (with tubes and eggbeaters) was 24.8 (that's 8/10, not 8 oz). I'm not a weight weenie... almost went with aluminum, and think the Scalpel 3 is probably the value king.
  • 01-27-2012
    utah joe
    My 2 was 24.5 with tubes and no pedals. Look through the other scalpel thread, many people posted weights
  • 01-27-2012
    Juza72
    Thanks guys for your posts, the weights are about equal considering the pedals. The wheelset, post and saddle are probably the best weight shaving parts, or what do you think?

Utah Joe: which thread you refer to?
  • 01-27-2012
    utah joe
  • 01-28-2012
    Juza72
    Thanks Joe, any riding experience on your Scalpel yet? I'm a bit torn between Epic and Scalpel and would appreciate any thoughts between the two.
  • 01-28-2012
    utah joe
  • 01-31-2012
    wallyh3
    Specialized cable guides for Scalpel 29
    Where can I buy these? Thanks
  • 02-13-2012
    CameleonBike
    Hi guys,

I do run a cannondale shop in Belgium, I have a scalpel 29 personal bike.
    I also changed the cable routing, even before i saw the topic, so i'm not alone :)
    1) What is the specialzed partnr for the cable router?

2) I'm riding withe the headset spacer (KP213) below, the bike came like this.
    Now I see all your bikes with this ring on top. Does anyone has experience with both?

Bye,
    Bruno
  • 02-13-2012
    heumena
    Hi Bruno,

1) Sorry, I don't know the partnumber...
    2) no experience but see the movie (1:30min): 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29er Presented By Johs Huseby - YouTube

Succes ermee!

Arnoud
  • 02-13-2012
    wallyh3
    Specialized cable guides part #
    For what it's worth, the number on the bag that mine came in is:S091600014
  • 02-17-2012
    YT
    Zeeke and everybody else. What air pressures you running in the mnoarch vs what do you weigh?
  • 02-18-2012
    CameleonBike
    I'm riding fit the FOX , weight is 75kg, almost 200psi...
    It's hard, but otherwise the rear is moving to much when riding at high speed.
    Maybe I change the fox standard settings inside.

( ps: the Specialized partnr for the cable router : W93930021 )
  • 02-18-2012
    Asbury
    Is there an online retailer for the 3 slot cable guide? LBS can't get it.
  • 02-18-2012
    CameleonBike
    google.com

Put in the partnr, you will see!
  • 02-20-2012
    zeeke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CameleonBike View Post
    I'm riding fit the FOX , weight is 75kg, almost 200psi...
    It's hard, but otherwise the rear is moving to much when riding at high speed.
    Maybe I change the fox standard settings inside.

( ps: the Specialized partnr for the cable router : W93930021 )

Well odd that you asked this now. I was running about 10lbs under my weight and running around 25% sag in the monarch and thought I loved that. This weekend I was riding Syllamo and decided to try a bit more air to see how I liked it. I went with 5lbs over my weight, right at exactly 20% sag and I absolutely loved it. On the very technical rocks and climbs I thought it actually turned into an even better bike than it already was. Couldnt of been happier.

Ill try it on some normal trails and see how I like it there, but man it was a totally different bike with the extra air on that trail. Loved it.
  • 03-18-2012
    dancruz
    Ok ...have not heard from from anybody in a while about how its going on your cool new 29er Scalpels. Now that you got some more miles on them, anymore to add?..more pics? Should be 2-3 weeks and a #1 for me.....sure seeing a lot of posts about Lefty problems...what gives?
  • 03-19-2012
    DrDon
    I love mine so far. I'm trying to get an extended ride on it. Even though it is a single pivot it feels as efficient as my previous Tallboy. It turns sharply, climbs well and is decently stiff. I weigh 225 so I would not utilize it as a only trail bike, my definition of which is 4-5 days a week on east coast rocky/rooty trails.
  • 03-19-2012
    MTBguru71
    Waiting on my scalpel 2.....hoping for this friday. I'll post pics and weight with upgrades once shes ready.
  • 03-19-2012
    norty_mtb
    The scalpel 1 rides better than the sworks 29er I was on last year. Tracks better and seems to stick better on climbs. I must've gotten the pressures and rebound dialed from the get go. The Specialized had bb flex issues so much that I'd hit the crank arm on the chainstay.
    I put a set of enve w/ project 321 hubs, edge bar, and avid wc brakes on. Weighs in at 21.7lbs with old xtr pedals and garmin computer.
    It's a hot bike and don't foresee the issues that came with the first generation Specialized. No regrets about being "brain" free.
    Will post picts soon,
    Nort
  • 03-19-2012
    Mhersh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Ok ...have not heard from from anybody in a while about how its going on your cool new 29er Scalpels. Now that you got some more miles on them, anymore to add?..more pics? Should be 2-3 weeks and a #1 for me.....sure seeing a lot of posts about Lefty problems...what gives?

I've just been riding my local hill which is a 1500 foot hump up to an 8,000 ft. summit in 4.3 miles. I'm already shaving 3-4 minutes off my best Jekyll 2000 ascents without breaking too bad a sweat, just base and pace. I have about 30 laps up on the bike so far. I'm 3 miuntes off my PB set a with a 20 LB Hardtail, but I'd done the Mt Evans Hill Climb a few weeks prior and was in tip top shape.

Regardless, this is a great XC climbing machine, light stiff precise, with enough dampening that if you stay on top of it, is all most of us will probably need. While I don't think this is a forgiving bike, it instills confidence and stability at higher speeds on descents as well, though it will probably sway me in the direction of keeping my old Jekyl 2000 around as a more AM oriented bike for when those occassion arise.
  • 03-20-2012
    keetoo
    i have ridden my carbon 2 for 200 miles now. i come from a sworks epic 2008 (26er) and also a tomac flint (29er) i love te ride of the scalpel, fast but comfortable, great scharpness in steering tight corners (coming from a sid and reba) i customized the bike some and it is weighing 10.4 kg now (23 lbs, complete with pedals etc.), best swap are the wheels (ztr race gold) this makes the bike also fast handling.

at what sag are you guys riding this ? i am at 22% right now and experimenting towards 25% and will also try 20% for the rear and 25% in the front.
  • 04-03-2012
    torque29er
    2012 Scalpel 1...
    I've had my bike now for over two weeks. About 226mi on the seat already. :D
    This is the best performing bike I've had to date.:thumbsup:
    Truly lives up to all the claims. First time I've owned a bike that exceeded my expectations.:D:D:D

Let me start by saying that before I owned this bike, I had very prejudiced opinions about the lefty shock. I never really accepted the claims made about the shock and I really didn't like the "unbalanced" look either. Man was I wrong...:madman:

The reason I mention this is because IMHO the lefty is so much better at doing what a front suspension is designed to do. :thumbsup: The progressive compliance of the lefty is unmatched by any of the conventional forked bikes I've owned. As I ride through heavily rooted sections on the trail is where I really notice the difference. The lefty rolls over the same rooted section that the conventional forks bind on. The vertical stiffness of the sanction of the lefty front shock allows the suspension to actually compress and rebound without any negative repercussion towards the the forward momentum of the bike. It's actually something you have to experience to believe. :D:D:D

The frame of the bike is so stiff. You notice this through the downhill runs through loose gravel sections as the bike feels completely planted as opposed to the almost loose feeling I've experienced with my other short travel bikes I own. I think this is a culmination of the front suspension working in conjunction with the stiffness of the frame.:thumbsup:

As to the rear suspension, the zero pivot of the lefty IMHO is perfectly matched to the personality of the bike. Do to the nature of the stiffness of the design. it actually feels very similar in feel to a hardtail. The rear suspension gives you such a precise linear feel through the curves and through tight twist sections. This is where you have the performance of a hardtail but with the compliance of a rear suspension. No wallow at all, very linear feel and the transfer of power of each pedal goes directly to the rear wheel rather than being partially absorbed hence wasted by the rear suspension.

As far as climbing is concerned, this IMHO is where this fs bike is KING. :thumbsup:
    I've ridden a great class of fs bikes to date and none have climbed like this one. IMHO it's as close to a hardtail as they come. Lock out the front and you on your way to the top. It's AWESOME. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

All I can say if you have the opportunity to try one out don't be prejudice towards the Lefty and try it out, you might end up like me and end up with a new bike while still owning a few perfectly good bikes.:thumbsup:

As of today the bike is weighing in at 22lb. 11oz.:thumbsup:

http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...426557-54.html
  • 04-04-2012
    Jowan
    Scalpel 29er vs Rush Carbon
    Hi,

Any Scalpel 29er rider out there who have also owned a Rush Carbon? Id like to know how they compare, will the Scalpel be a major upgrade?
  • 04-04-2012
    nathanbal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Hi,

Any Scalpel 29er rider out there who have also owned a Rush Carbon? Id like to know how they compare, will the Scalpel be a major upgrade?

It's a major upgrade. It feels as flowy as the rush but climbs a shed load better. Great bike.
  • 04-04-2012
    Asbury
    Quote:

Hi,

A buddy of mine had a Rush and bought the Scalpel 2. He is beyond elated with the new bike.
  • 04-04-2012
    gritnteeth
    I'm getting my Scalpel 1 29er in a couple weeks. i was wondering what is the stroke of the rear shock? How much sag in mm are you guys riding in the rear shock? Do you guys add more air inthe shock when racing?
  • 04-07-2012
    bboytab
    need help deciding which bike to get...will be used to join a few xc races and will be my weekend warrior bike

local trails: roots and rocks...east coast

LBS prices:
    2012 Flash Carbon 2 - $4,400 , can get this for $3800(local seller)
    2012 Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4,800
  • 04-07-2012
    torque29er
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    need help deciding which bike to get...will be used to join a few xc races and will be my weekend warrior bike

local trails: roots and rocks...east coast

LBS prices:
    2012 Flash Carbon 2 - $4,400 , can get this for $3800(local seller)
    2012 Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4,800

Both are great bikes :thumbsup: If price doesn't determine which bike to buy, put that out of the equation for this decision, if it does, you can't go wrong with the Flash :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.... Let me start off by saying that I'm bias torwards the Scalpel :thumbsup: I ride a Scalpel and I find it to be the best combination of both worlds, between a hardtail and a fs. IMHO the Flash will beat you up a little more :madman: than the Scalpel, but if it's all out speed your after, the Flash may be the way to go. :thumbsup: If it was only for racing, the hardtails are typically a little faster but that has a lot to do with the rider. On marathon rides, the Scalpel may prove to be a better choice as you body will be fresher.
    IMHO since your looking for two bikes in one, the Scalpel may be a better choice. :thumbsup:
    Your fitness level and age will have something to do with this decision. If you young you can take more abuse, it's the Flash :thumbsup:, but if your like me, you'll like the added benefit of the fs from the Scalpel :D. Try to ride both of them b4 you buy. I went through quite a few of bikes this year :madman: b4 I ended up with my Scalpel :D:D:D. Don't do that :nono:. I luv my Scalpel :D and its able to handle anything I through at her and more.:thumbsup: There quite a few guys here who race both of the bikes, contact them to get a better opinion. Good luck on you expedition, either way your ahead of the game with any of the two bikes. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • 04-08-2012
    sherpa2000
  • 04-09-2012
    bboytab
    very nice info....thanks!
  • 04-09-2012
    Aminnow
    Quote:

Hi,

Jowan,

I had a carbon Rize, and also an aluminum Rush.

Big upgrade from the Rush....The Scalpel climbs much better,
    and the downhill will blow your mind on the Scalpel.
    Fast , fast, and unbelievable control.
  • 04-10-2012
    Hiway
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    I've had several rides now, with the longest being a 4.5 hour training ride. All my initial thoughts are the same. This is the perfect machine for endurance races, I never came off the Yeti feeling as "fresh" as I did after being in the saddle of the Scalpel for several hours. The bike is just so solid. I don't think I'll ever ride a non Lefty bike again. Also, It's a great climber which has been very surprising to me. I wish there was a second bottle cage, but the seat post mounted Spec adapter has fixed that. The 2x10 has plenty of "granny" gear; I wouldn't be surprised to see 3x10's disappear altogether in a few years. All in all, very pleased.

This really is as non scientific as one can get. You went from a 26 inch wheel to a 29 inch wheel and now correlate that to a "leftie" suspension choice.

Too many variables...
  • 04-10-2012
    Hiway
    Quote:

Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Both are great bikes :thumbsup: If price doesn't determine which bike to buy, put that out of the equation for this decision, if it does, you can't go wrong with the Flash :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.... Let me start off by saying that I'm bias torwards the Scalpel :thumbsup: I ride a Scalpel and I find it to be the best combination of both worlds, between a hardtail and a fs. IMHO the Flash will beat you up a little more :madman: than the Scalpel, but if it's all out speed your after, the Flash may be the way to go. :thumbsup: If it was only for racing, the hardtails are typically a little faster but that has a lot to do with the rider. On marathon rides, the Scalpel may prove to be a better choice as you body will be fresher.
    IMHO since your looking for two bikes in one, the Scalpel may be a better choice. :thumbsup:
    Your fitness level and age will have something to do with this decision. If you young you can take more abuse, it's the Flash :thumbsup:, but if your like me, you'll like the added benefit of the fs from the Scalpel :D. Try to ride both of them b4 you buy. I went through quite a few of bikes this year :madman: b4 I ended up with my Scalpel :D:D:D. Don't do that :nono:. I luv my Scalpel :D and its able to handle anything I through at her and more.:thumbsup: There quite a few guys here who race both of the bikes, contact them to get a better opinion. Good luck on you expedition, either way your ahead of the game with any of the two bikes. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

From a lot of testing by the same riders many post faster times with FS bikes compared to hardtails. Feeling faster and being faster are two different things. Do your own research, and make up your own mind. Many tests I have seen show over the same loop people got faster on FS bikes over the hardtails.
  • 04-10-2012
    torque29er
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    From a lot of testing by the same riders many post faster times with FS bikes compared to hardtails. Feeling faster and being faster are two different things. Do your own research, and make up your own mind. Many tests I have seen show over the same loop people got faster on FS bikes over the hardtails.

The location where you ride and the distance that you ride is directly corrilated to that.

On smooth and flowing trails in a sprint race, no question, a pro rider will post in quicker time on a hardtail than on a FS but in an endurance race that same rider will post an overall faster time in a FS do to the additional physical abuse you put your body through.

On rough terrain, that same rider will be faster on both the sprint race and the endurance race on a FS because of the phisicality of the race and the abuse on your body.

There is an actual university study backing this up based on the amount of watts your body uses to maintain the same speed on a hardtail vs FS for short (sprints races) periods vs longer (endurance races) periods of time. I'll post it as soon as I find it.
  • 04-10-2012
    Hiway
    Yep I saw the study and read it. I also know for -some- people on even shorter races the less travel full suspension 29'ers posted better times than the hard tails.

New equipment entering the market since that test that is changing minds. Lighter and more efficient rear shocks and better geometry entering the scene.
  • 04-10-2012
    bboytab
    I was a full suspension(spesh Enduro) guy until 3 weeks ago when I got hooked on the hardtail 29er. I love it that all the pedal you do goes to the ground(no waste) and I am just hesitant with getting the Scalpel since its a FS. Does the Sclapel 2(Monarch)have a lockout? With the recent comments looks like it is an efficient climber too.