Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    What are the odds on Torque29er posting a reply without using a smiley face?
    2017 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup

2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon 2

2016 Cannondale Caad 12 Disc

Twin Six Standard Fat

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Don't see his replies anymore due to ignored. He really offers little to the conversation most of the time and is just annoying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Pro's will use a hardtail almost every time unless they can prove the full suss is quicker. They are not like you, me or anyone (generally) on the forum... they are super light, incredibly powerful and have the skills of a downhill champ. Riding a hardtail on terrain were most FREDs would think a 6" trail bike is required, is nothing to them. Comparing what they use to your buying decision is DUMB.
    BTW you are preaching the virtues of hard tails to a long time Cannondale Flash 29er rider, that's certainly DUMB. I'll continue to ride it because the scalpel 29er is under whelming.

In addition it is a valid point, if it's designed as a top level race bike and the cannondale pros race it then you'd have to wonder why. If you're so informed, please tell us why that is.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    NEVER
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Don't see his replies anymore due to ignored. He really offers little to the conversation most of the time and is just annoying.
    By that act, it's obvious your not PARANOID...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I'll spell it out for you:

Q: Do any cannondale pros race the Scalpel 29er?

Possible answers: All, some, none, only for certain races etc etc

Point of the question: If no pros race the bike then what does this say about the bike? Simple.
    This is not my opinion but from a Magazine:

Chosen as 1 of 12 "Mountain bikes of the Year" (for you GT554) by the editors of

"MOUNTAIN BIKE MAGAZINE"

Cannondale Scalpel 29

If its claimed 4.2-pound frame weight (size large, with shock) can be believed, Cannondale’s Scalpel 29 could become the XC race bike of choice next year. The bike pictured here weighs just 21.4 pounds and Cannondale claims bikes can easily be built to weigh even less

For the full article:
    Cannondale Scalpel 29 Trail Bike | Bicycling Magazine

I guess well just have to wait till next year to see if it gets raced by the pro's, as they say in their write up.

Just another opinion, not mine, from people who probably test many more bikes than most of the posters on any of these threads.

Not my opinion like I said, I just agree with their assumption.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    BTW you are preaching the virtues of hard tails to a long time Cannondale Flash 29er rider, that's certainly DUMB. I'll continue to ride it because the scalpel 29er is under whelming.

In addition it is a valid point, if it's designed as a top level race bike and the cannondale pros race it then you'd have to wonder why. If you're so informed, please tell us why that is.
    how many pro riders used the 26" Scalpel vs. the 26" Flash prior to the 29er movement in the pro ranks?

i own a carbon flash 29er and a carbon scalpel 29er so i get the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    how many pro riders used the 26" Scalpel vs. the 26" Flash prior to the 29er movement in the pro ranks?

i own a carbon flash 29er and a carbon scalpel 29er so i get the best of both worlds.
    Same ive got both a carbon flash 2012 and a scalpel 2012. They are both awesome and both have their place. Get them both

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Where do you use the scalpel over the flash?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Where do you use the scalpel over the flash?
    For me anything rooty,rocky. If its a rough course full suspension all the way. Granted, to be honest I ride the scalpel most of the time

I should or rode the Flash at Cohutta 100 last week but went with the Scalpel. It would have been a better race on the Flash though. Tons of climbing and not very rough single track.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Sounds like you guys are having fun racing your Scalpels. Got a Scalpel1 and not racing on it. Just not the bike for me. Thinking of selling it...pm if your are considering getting a #1 ..size medium.....
    Last edited by dancruz; 05-05-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Sounds like you guys are having fun racing your Scalpels. Got a Scalpel1 and not racing on it. Just not the bike for me. Thinking of selling it...pm if your are considering getting a #1 ..size medium.....
    I am new to the forum and can't PM.
    I am interested if you could pm me.
    I am in Firestone.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't post on here often but like to check in on my Cannonale Brothers from time to time. I've got a couple of responses to some questions and statements that may be helpfull.
    1. If your Lefty feels too firm with the recommended air pressure, take it back to the shop ASAP. We found a couple that needed the lock-out adjusted and a couple that needed the oil level adjusted. Not sure if they added or removed oil. Bottom line is that nobody should be underwhelmed with the performance.
    2. I've got a Scalpel 29r 1 and a Flash 29r Ultimate. The Flash is great for Fire roads or smoother trails but I find myself riding the Scalpel on any ride longer than 2 hours and I feel much fresher after.
    3. Weight of my Lrg. Scalpel is 22.5lbs with XTR pedals, Hand-built Stans/AC wheelset and a real set of tires (Crossmarks). The Racing Ralphs do not hold up to Arkansas' terrain. In fact we started calling them Ripping Ralphs. Got a pile of them in the backroom of the shop. Many of them were pulled even before delivery to customer because of the historically poor durability around here.
    4. Weight of my Lrg. Flash Ultimate is 19.5. Again, with Crosmarks and EB 11's.
    5. Both bikes could loose a bit of weight, especially the Scalpel, but they both have their merits. The Scalpel is a much better all-around bike that incidentlly was riden to 1st place overall at one of our Marathon series races back in April. Guy who won is a regional privateer pro from Texas. He had the ENVE's on it but it looked basically stock.
    6. Most sponsored Pros are pretty late adopters of new technology. In fact, I Spent a few days with Tinker Juarez a couple of Months back and he didn't seem too interested in the Scalpel 29r. He won a local 6 hour race on a pretty beat-up Flash 29r left over from the 2011 season. He proves the point that it really is about the rider for the most part.
    Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's awesome feedback about the scalpel29er. I've just bought a new scalpel29er 1.

Apart from enves what else do you think could be done to reduce weight?

Do enve bars and stem stack up in the weight stakes or are there lighter?

Are there lighter tyres than RRs?

mtbr member
    if you get the scalpel 1 and:
    - swap the wheelset out for Enve or Stans Race 29er Gold
    - swap out the front rotor for a 160mm
    - change the handlebar and grips to lighter alternatives
    - change the cassette out to an X0 or XX
    - change the seatpost and saddle out to lighter alternatives

You'll have sub-10kg.

mtbr member
    if you get the scalpel 1 and:
    - swap the wheelset out for Enve or Stans Race 29er Gold
    - swap out the front rotor for a 160mm
    - change the handlebar and grips to lighter alternatives
    - change the cassette out to an X0 or XX
    - change the seatpost and saddle out to lighter alternatives

You'll have sub-10kg.
    HA.. I actually have a carbon 1. see me changes below...

1. Race Gold wheels
    2. Swapped the brakes for XX with a 160 rotor in the front
    3. Swapped the bar for a Truvativ T40 riser with ESI grips
    4. Running a XX cassette.
    5. Thomson Masterpiece seatpost with WTB rocket-v seat. (ok, the seat isn't any lighter. it's actually heavier. it's a preference thing).

With a Maxxis Ikon on the front and a Bontrager 29-0(doesn't really qualify as a legit tire) on the rear, it weighs 20.25 lbs (9.20Kg). That's with a carbon bottle cage and no pedals.

I don't normally run the wheels. they're more of a race set-up. Even with the stock wheelset and some more substantial tires, the new scalpel kicks ass. I borrowed a spark 29r RC for a few weeks before a bought the Scalpel. I'm very happy that i went this way. The new Scalpel is what the Spark should have been.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My rocket v is lighter than the stock tundra 2..

The biggest upgrade I did and its an omg upgrade, was switch to XTR Race brakes. Everytime I ride the bike I smile at how awesome the brakes are. They are more amazing than words can describe. Wont ever ride a bike without them at this point.

I rode all your arkansas races, spa city, OC, and Syllamo 125 in 2 weeks... I use the Racing Ralphs snake skin and ive not had one single problem. They are 620g each. Not a single tear, nobby cut etc. You must of been using the old compounds. I love them to be honest. Ikons are cool but im really digging the RRs. The 2012 are totally different tires than the old ones.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any news about the 2013 Scalpel 29er?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post

The biggest upgrade I did and its an omg upgrade, was switch to XTR Race brakes. Everytime I ride the bike I smile at how awesome the brakes are. They are more amazing than words can describe. Wont ever ride a bike without them at this point.

I rode all your arkansas races, spa city, OC, and Syllamo 125 in 2 weeks... I use the Racing Ralphs snake skin and ive not had one single problem. They are 620g each. Not a single tear, nobby cut etc. You must of been using the old compounds. I love them to be honest. Ikons are cool but im really digging the RRs. The 2012 are totally different tires than the old ones.
    +1 on the XTR Brakes, there're AWESOME !!! as far as the Racing Ralphs are concerned, I luv them too but I havn't had the pleasure of riding in AK.. only in Florida, but they do ROCK !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How do xtrs stack up weight wise?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    How do xtrs stack up weight wise?
    This is one area where performance rules IMHO over weight. Plus the weight of the XTR Race is 210gr vs XX World Cup is 213gr.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is the consensus for a replacement wheel to the stock ENVE wheels on the S29C1?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    This is one area where performance rules IMHO over weight. Plus the weight of the XTR Race is 210gr vs XX World Cup is 213gr.
    i spent some time with the XTRs recently, and i've used formula brakes (the one, k24, and most recently the R1s). i just weighed my R1s, and they came in at 165g for the front & 177 for the rear (lever, hose, caliper -- no rotors). the formula rotors are also quite a bit lighter than ice tech rotors.

personally, i thought the XTRs were good and i really wanted to love a brake that did not use DOT fluid...but the R1s are at least the equal of the XTRs in performance (i like the feel better), AND they are lighter.

i *think* the ice tech rotor weights are around 125 vs ~95 for the formula rotors, so it's around 150g lighter for a formula setup. that's pretty significant when you consider levers/hose/caliper/rotors come in at around 550g.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nmp27 View Post
    What is the consensus for a replacement wheel to the stock ENVE wheels on the S29C1?
    is the consensus that the S29C1 does not come with stock enve wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    is the consensus that the S29C1 does not come with stock enve wheels?
    Just looking for a lighter wheel...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just looking for a lighter wheel...
    i understand, but you wrote that you wanted to replace the "stock enve wheels" on the C1. the enve wheels are not stock on the C1. thus, you can replace the stock C1 wheels with the enve wheels and accomplish your goals.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    i spent some time with the XTRs recently, and i've used formula brakes (the one, k24, and most recently the R1s). i just weighed my R1s, and they came in at 165g for the front & 177 for the rear (lever, hose, caliper -- no rotors). the formula rotors are also quite a bit lighter than ice tech rotors.

personally, i thought the XTRs were good and i really wanted to love a brake that did not use DOT fluid...but the R1s are at least the equal of the XTRs in performance (i like the feel better), AND they are lighter.

i *think* the ice tech rotor weights are around 125 vs ~95 for the formula rotors, so it's around 150g lighter for a formula setup. that's pretty significant when you consider levers/hose/caliper/rotors come in at around 550g.
    I have the Formula R1 on my Epic EVO and the do work very well. I really haven't put to many hours on them yet to make a valid judgement... My Scalpel seems to be steeling all my riding hours
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    the question is not a question of posting a reply without a smiley but rather how many smileys will he/she use!
    It all depends on my $hit eating grin from riding the scalpel...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    the question is not a question of posting a reply without a smiley but rather how many smileys will he/she use!
    And BTW, have you looked at my avatar.. you'd be smiling all the time if you were looking at those too, nothing like real Mountainous Biking
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i understand, but you wrote that you wanted to replace the "stock enve wheels" on the C1. the enve wheels are not stock on the C1. thus, you can replace the stock C1 wheels with the enve wheels and accomplish your goals.
    My Bad.....
    I had my bikes confused this morning when I wrote that
    So the ENVE is a lighter combination, but still strong?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    And BTW, have you looked at my avatar.. you'd be smiling all the time if you were looking at those too, nothing like real Mountainous Biking
    i'm older than 12, for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My Bad.....
    I had my bikes confused this morning when I wrote that
    So the ENVE is a lighter combination, but still strong?
    the enve wheels spec'ed on the ultimate are lighter than the wheels spec'ed on the 1.

are they strong? there's no weight limit, and reports are quite solid. i don't have enough time on mine to credibly say one way or the other, but i have no worries about them.

a couple considerations:
    * the enve XC wheel set (spec'ed) is a little narrower at the rim vs their AM wheel set. may not be an issue for you.
    * the XC wheel set is a little lighter than the AM. you decide if that is important.
    * the stock enve wheel set is 32 spoke front and rear. enve seems to use 28 spokes as their default build. you can decide whether you want 32 or 28.

just some things to consider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pro's will use a hardtail almost every time unless they can prove the full suss is quicker. They are not like you, me or anyone (generally) on the forum... they are super light, incredibly powerful and have the skills of a downhill champ. Riding a hardtail on terrain were most FREDs would think a 6" trail bike is required, is nothing to them. Comparing what they use to your buying decision is DUMB.
    I'm going to basically 2nd this opinion. I've been racing bikes for 20+ years, mainly MTB races for the last 10. Got caught up in the hype of a light 29er HT and got a Flash 2 (coming from a 26" blur). I would say that bike is absolutely faster than a FS bike if and this is the key IF you are willing to unweight the seat for every tree root, pump every dip and attack every short hill out of the saddle (basically ride like a pro). I've been moving to longer races as I get older and there is no way I can ride like that for 3+ hours and after riding the flash for 3 weeks I quickly realized for my riding style it is not for me.

The shop I brought the bike from gave me credit the Flash to trade up to Scalpel 2 and I absolutely love it. Feels just as fast as my Blur uphill and on the flats but just crushes it downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Big favor requested...

I've just bought a scalpel 1 29er but it's in a warehouse in California. I'm having it prepared to send back to me in Australia.

The rear wheel was attached to the bike but needs to be removed prior to shipping as frame and wheels are being shipped separate.

I've not had any experience with the new type of rear axle on the 2012 scalpel.

Can one of you guys post the tools needed and possible method to remove the rear wheel? Do I need an Allen key? What size ?

Is it like the old lever style quick releases?

Any pics of how to remove would be very helpful Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336425616.440381.jpg

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    i'm older than 12, for what it's worth.
    I'll make sure not to put smileys on any replies to you in the future as to not distract you from the topic at hand...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Big favor requested...

Can one of you guys post the tools needed and possible method to remove the rear wheel? Do I need an Allen key? What size ?

Is it like the old lever style quick releases?
    You just need a size 5 Allen wrench, nothing else. Takes 2 seconds to take it off/put it on. Its just a thru bolt, simple and strong.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"

Are yours R1's the racing version (titanium) or the regular R1? The one's on my Epic are the regular R1. Just curious to know so I know what the weight of the ones on my Epic are.

BTW...I still haven't received the FSA bar yet to post the weight...crazy
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You just need a size 5 Allen wrench, nothing else. Takes 2 seconds to take it off/put it on. Its just a thru bolt, simple and strong.
    Thanks Zeeke

legend!!!

Can you explain in words how the new type of axle system works? which side do you place the allen wrench in? How much do you turn it?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Zeeke

legend!!!

Can you explain in words how the new type of axle system works? which side do you place the allen wrench in? How much do you turn it?
    Axle goes in on left side of the bike, its just like a normal bolt. Its got 5mm or so of threads on it. Takes about 4-5 full turns id guess. Very very straight forward. Ill take a pic tomorrow if you really want.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Yep! The XTR Brakes are awesome. If I do any other upgrades that'll be first on my list.

The problems we've been having are in-fact with the stock RR's. At this point, nobody around here is willing to take a chance on an MTB Tire from Schwalbe. Kinda sad that a spec like this can kill a whole brand's cred.

Awesome! I'll be at the 125 as well. Did it last year and it took me 9 hours (Flash Carbon 29r). Maybe I'll be a bit faster this year and hopefully no rain. See you there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For those that are considering getting a 29er for their wife / girlfriend, this is the perfect bike. My wife just replaced her Blur with a Scalpel 29er 2 and she loves it so much. After 1 ride, she feels like a better rider. size sml with Candy 3, tubeless, 24.8 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I might even surprise her one day with some news wheels. I would rather shop for bike parts than jewelry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterP View Post
    Yep! The XTR Brakes are awesome. If I do any other upgrades that'll be first on my list.

The problems we've been having are in-fact with the stock RR's. At this point, nobody around here is willing to take a chance on an MTB Tire from Schwalbe. Kinda sad that a spec like this can kill a whole brand's cred.

Awesome! I'll be at the 125 as well. Did it last year and it took me 9 hours (Flash Carbon 29r). Maybe I'll be a bit faster this year and hopefully no rain. See you there!
    Hey skeeter take your points on the xtr brakes. Are they just more robust or better feeling than the other brakes that are marketed for their weight? What makes them better?

I kinda have moved away from shimano gear. What xtr like brakes are out there?

In dirt bikes it's common to mix master cyclinders to lines and calipers.

Can you do that in the mtb world or are most systems proprietary ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009

almost done

almost done with my build.

i got my front wheel to seal (enve 29er xc + 2.25 rocket ron), but i spent 1h trying, unsuccessfully, to get the rear wheel (enve + 2.25 racing ralph SS) to seal w/ stan's. i'm going to try again tomorrow.

nevertheless, i weighed everything, albeit after i'd cleaned off the tire to prepare for my 2nd attempt (i.e., no stan's). came to 9.75kg (21.5 pounds).

that is with EVERYTHING (minus about 80g of stan's that i'll put in the rear tire when i do get it to seal), ready to ride (including an SRM power meter).

i might change a few things, like lighter bars (currently have enve sweeps on there), grips, rotors, and i might try to find a lighter 2.25 ralph SS (lots of variation with schwalbe tires i find). my ralph came to 660g vs the stated 600g. normally, they are a *bit* heavier...but 60g surprised me. the rocket ron was 540 vs 520 stated.

i'll also be putting power cordz on there (they're light, but i also like them), adding a few more ti bolts, and i have a blacx jewel dropper post ready to go. that will add a pound.

i'd love to hit 21.99 pounds WITH the dropper post, but i don't think i'll make that. 20.99 would be very close without the dropper, but i suspect i'll be just over it.

i'm open to ideas for dropping weight, but i also want this to be reasonably durable. i haven't gone ultra weight-weenie anywhere on this one.

i'm still blown away that the bike will be around 22 with the dropper & power meter. my prior bike was 26+...with straight post and no power meter. i notice the reduced weight when swinging the bike around in the garage to hang it from the ceiling. i'm pretty sure i'll notice it going uphill...at least i hope so!

mtbr member
    May 2006

i got my front wheel to seal (enve 29er xc + 2.25 rocket ron), but i spent 1h trying, unsuccessfully, to get the rear wheel (enve + 2.25 racing ralph SS) to seal w/ stan's. i'm going to try again tomorrow.
    I know why it wont seal. It did it on both my scalpel and my flash. Took me forever and really pissed to spot it on the scalpel. Check the yellow tape... On both bikes they did a horrible job of the yellow tape and it was allowing one spoke to leak down into the wheel, and never able to seal.

Both bikes I had to get some new tape and just redo their crappy factory job.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I know why it wont seal. It did it on both my scalpel and my flash. Took me forever and really pissed to spot it on the scalpel. Check the yellow tape... On both bikes they did a horrible job of the yellow tape and it was allowing one spoke to leak down into the wheel, and never able to seal.

Both bikes I had to get some new tape and just redo their crappy factory job.
    yellow tape?

my enve wheels do not have yellow tape. i had to pull the enve rim tape, then use gorilla tape. are you using these rims?

it wasn't leaking at the spokes--i think it was that the bead of the tire was not hooking under the rim. i'll try again today.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    yellow tape?

my enve wheels do not have yellow tape. i had to pull the enve rim tape, then use gorilla tape. are you using these rims?

it wasn't leaking at the spokes--i think it was that the bead of the tire was not hooking under the rim. i'll try again today.
    Post some pics after your done !!!

"Zeke"...might be referring to the stock wheels that came on the bike. I had the similar problem with the factory mounted tape... There's a thread about this with the "Tricon" wheels going tubeless with the Racing Ralph tires.

New DT Swiss Tricon with Schwalbe Racing Ralph = defect
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yellow tape?

I had similar issue installing the front Rocket Ron onto the Enve, not the Ralphs. Even an air compressor didn't do the trick. My final solution = a CO2 cartridge, make sure you release the valve fast enough to seal up the bead quick. Hope this helps.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast