Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Pete. Ya it's not the saddle I'm sure as the knock occurs out of the saddle too. I'll definately check the rerailleur bolt and the hanger bolt (lubed, but forgot to check the tightness).

Also didn't mention the sound usually occurs AFTER a few rotations of the crank, and comes on randomly. Hope I'll nail it down tomorrow.

mtbr member

Scalpel 29er 2 tires & rims

Scalpel 29er 2 2013 has arrived. So far - AMAZING!
    Has anyone tried to put some other tires than Schwalbe on arch ex rims that come on scalpel 29er 2? Heard a few rumors that it impossible use any other tire on that rim. I would like to use Saguaros on it.

mtbr member
    Jut got info from LBS, scalpel not ready before 3.12
    Maybe some parts missing.
    Last edited by xluossa; 11-23-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Tool
    Just be persistent and you'll find it, hyper. Check the somewhat unexpected sources. Any place where two parts come together (or might come together) affords the opportunity for noise.

If you have access to a trainer and an assitant, you may be able to repro the noise in place to hunt it down more easily.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's the main pivot's bearings!! The mechanic took everything apart (rear end, chain stay / seatstay, etc.), cleaned and greased everything, found out that the one of the main pivot bearings were short so he replaced them both. No more noise after after the first ride today and I hope it stays quiet for a while. Thanks Pete for the insight!

mtbr member
    I thought I'd chime in with yet another Scalpel 2 report. I've had mine since May, 550 miles.

It has been a blast to ride, never leaving me wanting more. I have been riding and racing it over the typical Northeast terrain, even some lift service runs at Burke Mtn.

The ride quality, for a race bike, is outstanding. The trail is nicely dampened, but the platform is very stiff. Aside from the creaks I mention below, the bike is silent on the trail. If I setup the suspension according to mfg specs, I find the ride to be a bit too firm and it does not move though it's travel very well. I tend to run it about 10psi lower than the recommended setting, which gives a nice feel and not much if any pedal bob. After all it is a race bike and the mfg settings are probably accurate to give the correct geometry with the given sag.

Climbing is where this bike shines, just settle in and it does everything it can to make your life comfortable and to make every pedal stroke count. Descending technical or loose terrain took a bit to getting used to. It came across as twitchy and sometimes difficult to keep pointed in the intended direction. My confidence was not inspired and I would find myself being a bit more cautious. Then I moved the headset spacer to the bottom, which slackened the front end a tiny bit and relieved some of the twitchiness and for my riding style and terrain made the bike feel better overall.

Clearance between the front derailleur and rear tire is tight and I did have some issues with mud packing on and around the FD causing some minor issues.

It did have the initial OPI stem creaking issue, which was solved by disassembly and regreasing. It also had a creaking seatpost clamp where the seat is mounted to the post, greased and now quiet. During the first few rides the crankset loosened up to which I cleverly overtightened, which lead to a creaking BB a few weeks later. The cables mounted to the BB were rubbing the frame, so I just adjusted those to clear the frame. I've done a few bearing resets on the Lefty and the remote lock was not adjusted correctly causing the fork to feel very stiff, that was resolved by the barrel adjuster on the remote. One XTR Shadow + RD was destroyed when it was pushed in to the spokes, though the hanger did not break or bend? And finally the Elixer brakes while powerful one finger brakes are a bit noisy, but I have not had a set of Avids that have not been noisy.

All that it needs is a new set of tires and it's ready for another season.

And a gratuitous photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-photo-25-.jpg  

Last edited by SHICKS; 11-28-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Prepared to take grief, I report buying a 1 on eBay. It creaked like mad. I got an occasional clicking noise from the rear when braking. I called the LBS and they said the clicking is from brake pads that aren't seated. I reinstalled and it still clicked, but it was only a few times per hour. I rode it two weekends attempting to grease and tighten bolts to no avail. I read the posts here of bottom bracket and head set creaks so I took it to the LBS. They greased the headset and overhauled the bottom bracket. I took it for a ride and it still creaked.The brake related clicking was still there too. The LBS then tore the bike down to find four rear suspension bearing shot, the clicking noise coming from a broken rear DT Swiss hub, and two cracks in the frame, one in the rear triangle at the brake mount and a larger one in the front triangle near the suspension linkage. The seller presented the bike as a 9.5 out of 10 with only 350 miles in the auction. Wow.The seller said he will not refund my money. I'm appealling this to the eBay dispute resolution center based on misrepresentation of the bike in the marketplace. They will issue a determination Thursday. If I lose I'll appeal it and seek the intervention of AmEx Customer Service. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Even if this gets resolved in my favor, as much as I love the bike, I'm not sure I trust the build enough to buy another. Anyone have similar problems or know of frame failure rates? Thanks.
    What was the final outcome on this. I was looking at a Scalpel Ultimate on Ebay and it appears outstanding but now you've got me rethinking the whole deal. Did Ebay rule in your favor?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Picked it up last night. $4689!

Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354282407.619087.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Picked it up last night. $4689!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354282407.619087.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	741079
    Nice

That's a 12 correct ?

I bought one 6 -8 months ago for $6k

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    What was the final outcome on this. I was looking at a Scalpel Ultimate on Ebay and it appears outstanding but now you've got me rethinking the whole deal. Did Ebay rule in your favor?
    I'd like to know too. It's in ebays interests to look after consumers

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Nice

That's a 12 correct ?

I bought one 6 -8 months ago for $6k
    Yeah, a 12. Great price considering the components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Yeah, a 12. Great price considering the components.
    I haven't read a whole lot on this thread of late - is the consensus that us '12 owners have a much better specced bike than the '13 owners?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    12 has Hollowgram crank and mostly XX Bits.
    13 has Reynolds carbon wheels, new Lefty, and mostly X0.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I too just picked up a closeout 12. Pretty amazing bike coming from a HT! It would be interesting to feel the difference a carbon wheel set might make, significant or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Bar finally came in...
    FSA 670mm Bar 130gr. on Scale.
    I guess it's from 130gr-139gr.
    What's wrong with the Truvativ Noir 700 Flat Bar on the Scalpel 29er 1 ?
    Did you replace it with the FSA ?
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Begginer here

Hey there all! I just demo'd both the Jekyll and the Scapel, now please understand that I have very little experience with non-Walmart bikes.

So, to say the least, I lOVED both rides. The Scapel 1 was amazing. I currently ride a 17.5 Jamis Dakota Comp and I am looking for a ride that suits by size as I am 6'1 280lbs.

I have considered a Niner Jet 9, a Santa Cruz Tallboy and now the Scapel, which would you suggest?? I live in Florida and my normal rides are Markham, Oleta and Quiet Waters park...

All suggestions are welcomed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Suggesting carbon bikes, those are all a tough call. All out lightest frame: Scalpel! Do it all (well almost) bikes, Tallboy with a 120 Fox fork and JEt 9 RDO 120mm fork. From what I understand the scalpel is a single pivot bike and the Niner and Tallboy are dual pivot. How much are you trying to spend? What do you plan to use the bike for?

You test rode the Scalpel 29er carbon 1 right? If so you have ask if you like that paint job, red, blue, black, and white, I don't care for it but. I think the Tallboy and Niner Jet 9 RDO looks much better as far as paint goes. I think last years Scalpels had better paint job selections, IMO... Demo the Tallboy and Jet 9 RDO...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, I'm not looking to race or beat the bike up but I am interested in something that is going to last a while and of course I can grow with.. Carbon, allow?? I can careless., besides I don't have the 5 - 8k that some of these bikes cost. My budget is $2,800 max. and If I could find something used with good components at a fraction of that price - even better.

So, your suggestions are more than welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd like to know too. It's in ebays interests to look after consumers
    I lost the Ebay dispute, opened one with AmEx (used with Paypal), and learned I won on Friday. Bikes in box and ready to be shipped back to the seller.

Given the experience, I am "appropriately concerned" about these frames, to say the least. Plus, four rear suspension bearings and a bad DT Swiss hub, I'm likely to shop elsewhere.

That said, I loved the bike so much I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and continuing discussions with owners I see on the trail. For sure, I'll only buy this bike new if I'm compelled to try it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I lost the Ebay dispute, opened one with AmEx (used with Paypal), and learned I won on Friday. Bikes in box and ready to be shipped back to the seller.
    Good, I'm glad to hear it worked out. I've been screwed on ebay for thousands a couple of times and Ebay did nothing to help either and neither could the authorities, long story, anyways, that is why it is best to buy from Ebay with a credit card through pay pal because you other ways. Usually the credit card companies will back you up. I still buy and sell on ebay and for the most part it is great. Its just the few that are out there that can mess up everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy9398 View Post
    Well, I'm not looking to race or beat the bike up but I am interested in something that is going to last a while and of course I can grow with.. Carbon, allow?? I can careless., besides I don't have the 5 - 8k that some of these bikes cost. My budget is $2,800 max. and If I could find something used with good components at a fraction of that price - even better.

So, your suggestions are more than welcome.
    Well I don't know about a scalpel aluminum 29er, or if it even comes in Aluminum, but SC does make the Tallboy in aluminum that will save you money. You could get yourself a brand new Tallboy R kit for your budget you specified. The Jet 9 RDO is all carbon though and very pricy. The R Kit is a great package it will last many years to come but you need to demo one to see if you like the way it rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Scalpel 29er 4 is an alloy bike but it doesn't have the Lefty either. Its MSRP is $2660, according to the C'dale website: SCALPEL 29ER 4 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

The Scalpel 29er 3 is alloy bike with the Lefty and goes for $3550. SCALPEL 29ER 3 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Given the experience, I am "appropriately concerned" about these frames, to say the least. Plus, four rear suspension bearings and a bad DT Swiss hub, I'm likely to shop elsewhere.

That said, I loved the bike so much I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and continuing discussions with owners I see on the trail. For sure, I'll only buy this bike new if I'm compelled to try it again.
    How the hell did eBay refuse ?

Did they say it was possible during your usage?

How does Amex help now? Go legal on the guy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    The Scalpel 29er 4 is an alloy bike but it doesn't have the Lefty either. Its MSRP is $2660, according to the C'dale website: SCALPEL 29ER 4 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

The Scalpel 29er 3 is alloy bike with the Lefty and goes for $3550. SCALPEL 29ER 3 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013
    I picked up a 2012 Scalpel 29er 4 last Aug from my local C'dale dealer for $1700 and have been enjoying it ever since...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem View Post
    I picked up a 2012 Scalpel 29er 4 last Aug from my local C'dale dealer for $1700 and have been enjoying it ever since...
    Score!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Score!
    Yah, he was making room for the 2013 C'dale's and we caught him at the right time...

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Anyone else getting a knock at the top of the Lefty when it starts compression? Going from static to dynamic is when I hear/feel it.

Just finished my 3rd ride on my '12 Carbon 1. Christ, what a bike. I feel like superman on this thing.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Got another ride in the other night. This bike is really impressive in tight, low speed turns. The number of switchbacks I've dropped into or climbed out of where the bike "found" the perfect line is shockingly high. I thought this bike would struggle on these turns compared to my shorter wheelbase 29er caffeine. It feels much better in nearly every case. They really nailed the geometry. I'm really uncertain why I'm keeping my 29er caffeine other than a backup bike. The scalpel simple outclasses it in every way.

mtbr member
    Latest info from LBS is that, bike is ready and will shipped next tuesday to Finland. Maybe it will be under Christmas tree, i hope.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How the hell did eBay refuse ?

Did they say it was possible during your usage?

How does Amex help now? Go legal on the guy?
    The payment from PayPal was finally posted to my AmEx account today. I held onto the bike until this transaction was completed. It will ship to the seller today, followed by a few celebratory libations.

I don't know how the hell Ebay refused. Yes, they stated there was a lack of evidence that the problems didn't occur on my clock. AmEx opened the case with Paypal on my behalf. Interestingly, the Ebay and Paypal dispute resolution program is one in the same. Even more interestingly, the outcome if what was really their second case was that there lacked evidence that the seller didn't ship it broken. My step-sons would say for stuff like this, "Opposite day!" AmEx really came through for me. Ebay told me I could not appeal their decision when I lost and that I could not open one in Paypal because it's the same company/process. Buy with AmEx, friends.

I am still thinking about getting another one of these bikes. There's a new 2012 1 at the local dealer with the 2013 lefty and different wheels (the Tricons failed on mine and the dealer had seen enough of them go that they've opted to make the change). $5200 new, with that lifetime warranty. Hmmmm....
    Last edited by dakotakid; 12-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Awesome!
    Amazing !

mtbr member
    Nice pic from Fontana with 29er

fontana_downhill | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Very nice pics !!!
    Scalpel session :-)

Scalpel 29er Carbon - Photoshooting

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

2.4 tires

Anybody using 2.4 tires with the scalpel? Need to replace mine soon and thinking of going with 2.4's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Largoraf View Post
    Very nice pics !!!

Scalpel 29er Carbon - Photoshooting
    Any ideas if Fumic or Fontana are going to race with Scalpel 29er next year or is this just some freeride session / advertising?

mtbr member
    I'm running a Hans Dampf 2.35 in the front. Awesome tire.

Happy Trails

2013 Scalpel

2013 Size Large 23.10 pounds with Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tubeless tires, bottle cage, pedals, a 180mm Storm front rotor (replacing 160 Storm SL) and computer. I'm upgrading from a 29 pound Titus RX29r. Just picked up the Scalpel yesterday, so now I'm headed out to get this bad boy dirty...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-cannondale-scalpel-2012-12-28-003-800x600-.jpg  

Scalpel 29 Ride Report-cannondale-scalpel-bar-2012-12-28-001-small-800x600-.jpg  

Scalpel 29 Ride Report-cannondale-scalpel-2012-12-28-004-800x600-.jpg  

mtbr member

Finally its home

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Where'd you get the black-logo'ed Enve bar?

Happy Trails
    Most recent batch of '13 Ultimates are shipping with blackout Enve handlebars, to match the rims. I'm gonna write Enve and hit 'em up for a post, too. Mine also came with XTR shifters, which I was pleased about.

I'm just in from my first ride, and ... wow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-cannondale-scalpel-2012-12-28-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "Scott In MD" - can you please send me a PM. I'm new to this forum and they don't let us newbies perform certain actions until we post a certain number of times :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sorry "Scott In MD", but the forum won't even let me reply to your
    PM message :-( The bottom line is that I'd be interested in buying
    a blackout seatpost too, if Enve let's you buy one directly from them.
    I just ordered a Scalpel Carbon 2 myself, along with an Enve AM
    wheelset. I'd be interested in also picking up their bar and seatpost,
    but I just hate the non-removable logos on those two components.
    Fortunately, the logos on the wheels are just stickers and are easily
    removed :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    xluossa, nice bike! Is it a 2012 or 2013? Or you replaced the crankset and lefty?

BTW, check your cable routing at the bottom bracket area, don't let the cables rub your beautiful frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    xluossa, nice bike! Is it a 2012 or 2013? Or you replaced the crankset and lefty?

BTW, check your cable routing at the bottom bracket area, don't let the cables rub your beautiful frame.
    Thanks! It is as it arrived from cannondale. I bought it as 2012 year model, but i think, that they did not have old leftys anymore, so it was replaced by new one. I'm happy...!
    I wonder that is those hollowgrams 2012 or 2013? how they differ from? graphics? Scott in MD has some rubber ends in crankset?
    I'm going to protect the frame with M3 tape.
    Last edited by xluossa; 12-29-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Happy Trails
    xluossa, you scored big by picking up a '12 with a '13 fork. The new fork is a great upgrade. The rubber crank arm caps on my Hollowgram crank are aftermarket add-on's that LBS added.

A little more info on my Ultimate....

Spec changes I made from stock:
    - Replaced RR tires/tubes with beefier 2.2" Maxxis Ikons tubeless.
    - XTR pedals. I've always been an XT /Ultegra guy, but you only live once.
    - Arundel side-out carbon cage that matches the matte carbon finish. Spendy.., but it worked great on first ride.
    - Crank arm tip protectors, about $5.
    - 180mm Magura Storm rotor up front, replacing 160mm Storm SL rotor. Heavier, but a lot more metal, I figure you either sink the heat in the rotor or the pads and oil.
    - Rerouted the rear brake hose under the down tube and bottom bracket, on advice of the LBS and a lot of MTBR users. The hose was long enough, but just barely. I may replace the hose with 25mm longer because I'll probably swap the -15 degree stem for a -5 degree to get a little more rise on the bars.
    - My bike shipped with XTR shifters, not XX, which I was happy about. (The XTR rear derailleur clutch first impression is fantastic. The MT-8 brakes are great, too.
    - At 177 pounds it took 160 pounds of pressure in the shock to get about 10mm of sag, and this felt pretty good. I left the shock at whatever LBS set it up on for me,
    - Soon I'll change the 120mm/80mm spider with 39/26 chain rings to 104/64mm and 38/24. My bike shipped with the extra spider.
    - My first impression of the 27.5inch wide bars is they are a little wide for me, but I'm going to wait before cutting them down.

Fit:
    I'm 6-1.25" / 188 cm tall, and I went with size large, which seems like a good decision. I'm set up right now about 30.75" on bottom bracket to top of saddle, using 9.0 inches of exposed seat post, so this locates the saddle relatively high and thus relatively back from any fit reference point. As a result the "rider effective top tube" is plenty long for me. Ill probably raise seat 0.5" after I raise the stem/bar the same amount. As set up now, The distance from saddle tip to handlebar centerline on Scalpel is about 23.25 inches, versus 22.5 inches Ive been riding on my Titus RacerX 29er size Large. I'll probably settle in at 23.0 inches saddle tip to bar and 30.8 BB to saddle top.

First Ride:
    My first ride was 15.5 miles on Pemberton trail in Arizona's fantastic McDowell Mountain Park. Pemberton is XC non-technical singletrack. The bike rides fantastic, but then again it should. The ride exceeded my expectations, and I timed out 3 minutes and 10 seconds faster than any of the five race laps I made during a race earlier this month on my 29 pound Titus. I'll get so e more ride info up after I stretch it out a little....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Ultimate looks sick! I'm a sucker for matte finish.

Scott, is your fox shock with the new CTD feature? How does it work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    x
    - Crank arm tip protectors, about $5.
    Hey Scott-
    Are those the Race Face protectors, or, something else? I want to get a pair of them for myself. I don't see the Hollowgrams posted on their list of cranks they fit. Lemme know!

thx!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58teeth View Post
    Hey Scott-
    Are those the Race Face protectors, or, something else? I want to get a pair of them for myself. I don't see the Hollowgrams posted on their list of cranks they fit. Lemme know!

thx!
    I'm not Scott, but
    Yes, the RF works just fine for the Hollowgrams.
    You can get it in other colors as well

Race Face Crank Boots Protectors for Next Cannondale Hollowgram Green | eBay
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2

mtbr member
    - Rerouted the rear brake hose under the down tube and bottom bracket, on advice of the LBS and a lot of MTBR users. The hose was long enough, but just barely. I may replace the hose with 25mm longer because I'll probably swap the -15 degree stem for a -5 degree to get a little more rise on the bars.

Hi Scott.
    Glad that you're enjoying your Scalpel - it is an amazing light and agile + beautiful XC FS. racing bike.
    I rerouted the cable myself and attached it with Zip ties to the other 2 cables.
    I am looking for a triple guide and cannot find one.
    I even asked my LBS to try and get one from Specialized ( Part # W93930021) to no avail.
    I am curious what did you use for securing the rerouted cable.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/514/erasezcg3slil.jpg
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    oops! sorry. the threading view on this site is somewhat confusing.

Either way, I'm still jealous of your ride :-)

Happy Trails
    Eric, I'll let you know what I find out. I would guess their marketing guy searched MTBR for "ENVE" and is already on this...
    58, Yes, race face. Re: CTD; Well, there is so much about this bike that is upgraded from my (beloved) Titus, so it's hard to say ... but the C, T, and D look and click suspiciously like the ProPedal 1, 2, and 3 on the Fox RP23 on my Racer X. I utilized ProPedal on my RP23 and will use the CTD on my new bike as well. I will say that the new bushing on the shock is a great feature. ... and the bar mounted fork lockout is awesome too. That was one of the first things I noticed on my first long (6 mile) climb yesterday. I didn't think I would care about fork lockout, but after one ride I'm sold on the benefit. The other feature I felt immediately about the suspension is the precision of the pivot-less seatstay. It flexes like a crossbow without a mechanical joint and wow ... it is like riding a road bike from a torsional stiffness perspective ... seriously, no exaggeration >>> That's the impression I had on first ride.
    Stumpy, I was gonna' custom machine some 3-way guides from black unobtanium ... but I used zip-ties instead! Seems like zip-ties and worked fine. I'm gonna pick up the 3-way guides when I get the 38/24 chain rings from Spesh LBS. (Epic is a damn fine bike but I'm sure they're gonna check out the Scalpel when I roll up).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Scott,
    Nice bike, especially at 23 lbs for a FS Large. I thought you said you were going to get a Flash?

You'll have to let me take it for a spin on the next AES ride you do or maybe the quad bypass if you are riding that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    Hi Scott.
    Glad that you're enjoying your Scalpel - it is an amazing light and agile + beautiful XC FS. racing bike.
    I rerouted the cable myself and attached it with Zip ties to the other 2 cables.
    I even asked my LBS to try and get one from Specialized ( Part # W93930021) to no avail.

My specialized dealer in Melbourne got them in easily.

I use the specialized guide and it works really well.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    Hi Scott.

Ragley Triple Cable Guide Kit | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    I know... Thx...
    But it's out of stock till April
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Hi,

Any Scalpel 29er rider out there who have also owned a Rush Carbon? Id like to know how they compare, will the Scalpel be a major upgrade?
    Yep, I am...
    You can't compare these 2 bikes, absolutely not!! Scalpel 29 is a rocket bike Vs the Rush.Faster, more reactive and more more comfortable!!!

mtbr member
    I know... Thx...
    But it's out of stock till April
    I think it is february.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Scott.

I used a Scott part for routing cables...Great !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Largoraf View Post
    I used a Scott part for routing cables...Great !
    Thanks for the info
    Can you please provide the Scott part # ?
    Can it be ordered online, or only through a dealer ?
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the info
    Can you please provide the Scott part # ?
    Can it be ordered online, or only through a dealer ?
    I asked my dealer...he had stock !

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Due to manufacturer restrictions, this product cannot be shipped to the following locations:
    = Only US

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xluossa View Post
    Due to manufacturer restrictions, this product cannot be shipped to the following locations:
    = Only US
    Where are you located? How many do you need? Would you like me to buy these for you and then send them via mail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    Where are you located? How many do you need? Would you like me to buy these for you and then send them via mail?
    That would be avesome! I live in Finland, Europe. I need 3 of them for scalpel 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That would be avesome! I live in Finland, Europe. I need 3 of them for scalpel 29er.
    send me a PM with your email address. i will get a price for delivery to finland.

is your intention to run FD, RD and brake cables on the bottom of the downtube?

mtbr member

is your intention to run FD, RD and brake cables on the bottom of the downtube?
    Yes!

PM on the way

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I finally got mine ! Still the stickers to update with green ones, must be done this week!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-photo.jpg  

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    = Only US
    Apologies, didn't realize you were in Finland. I bought mine at Chain Reaction which came in a 3 pack. Not sure if those Yeti guides from Jenson are single or three per pack. Good luck.

PHS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    Apologies, didn't realize you were in Finland. I bought mine at Chain Reaction which came in a 3 pack. Not sure if those Yeti guides from Jenson are single or three per pack. Good luck.

PHS
    Dont worry, not your fault, that they dont sent items here, land of reindeers and Santa Claus!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Took delivery of my XL scalpel this weekend. What a revelation in riding experience! The bike pedals unbelievably efficient. After the ride, I ended putting the bike on my Park scale. Surprisingly, the bike weighed in at 23 lb 14ounces with XTR pedals, completely stock. I figured the bike would be a pound lighter. Please correct me, put wasn't there an online review consensus of bike in all trims, sub 23lbs, hovering in the 21 to 22lb range?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    Took delivery of my XL scalpel this weekend. What a revelation in riding experience! The bike pedals unbelievably efficient. After the ride, I ended putting the bike on my Park scale. Surprisingly, the bike weighed in at 23 lb 14ounces with XTR pedals, completely stock. I figured the bike would be a pound lighter. Please correct me, put wasn't there an online review consensus of bike in all trims, sub 23lbs, hovering in the 21 to 22lb range?
    take weights posted online with a huge grain of salt.

i've got a scalpel 29 ultimate (large frame). weight is about 23.5. it's a light build, but not crazy light.

i do have a dropper post on it, so that adds ~350g, but removing that from the equation and it's still >22.5 ready to ride.

that is WITH enve wheels and relatively light tires set up tubeless--but it includes sealant as i ride with it. i'm using xtr with tuned r1 brakes.

i guess if someone went exotic (post, saddle, bar) and ridiculously light tires, set up for tubeless w/o sealant you could be looking in the 21 pound range. maybe.

for an XL? i think 21-22 would be challenging to achieve in the real world.

my weight INcludes pedals. i know it is normal to exclude them because we all choose different options, but we all choose different saddles, too.

Real Estate Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    It's the main pivot's bearings!! The mechanic took everything apart (rear end, chain stay / seatstay, etc.), cleaned and greased everything, found out that the one of the main pivot bearings were short so he replaced them both. No more noise after after the first ride today and I hope it stays quiet for a while. Thanks Pete for the insight!

If for some reason it comes back. Check the bottom bracket bearings. My 2012 was doing the same thing after 6 months of riding. It would go away when I washed it, then come back when riding, I noticed the pedals wouldn't spin backwards as fast as they used to. Took it apart and found 1 bearing was bad. Went to the local bearing place and replaced it for $20.

I guess when you wash it or ride in the rain, the water goes through the seat post and drops on the bottom bracket bearings.

Just a thought. Just incase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    take weights posted online with a huge grain of salt.

i've got a scalpel 29 ultimate (large frame). weight is about 23.5. it's a light build, but not crazy light.

i do have a dropper post on it, so that adds ~350g, but removing that from the equation and it's still >22.5 ready to ride.

that is WITH enve wheels and relatively light tires set up tubeless--but it includes sealant as i ride with it. i'm using xtr with tuned r1 brakes.

i guess if someone went exotic (post, saddle, bar) and ridiculously light tires, set up for tubeless w/o sealant you could be looking in the 21 pound range. maybe.

for an XL? i think 21-22 would be challenging to achieve in the real world.

my weight INcludes pedals. i know it is normal to exclude them because we all choose different options, but we all choose different saddles, too.
    Thanks for the reply. I should have added that my XL Scalpel is a Ultimate. Im taken back by the weight difference between the L and XL. Im very happy with the performance but really expected a lighter bike for the price.

Happy Trails
    My large Ultimate is 23.1 pounds with XTR pedals, Arundel carbon cage, Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tubeless, and 180mm front rotor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My large Ultimate is 23.1 pounds with XTR pedals, Arundel carbon cage, Maxxis Ikon 2.2 tubeless, and 180mm front rotor.
    Thank you for comparison Scott. Im going to reweigh the bike tubeless this weekend. I might be kicking myself for going XL if the L is in fact a half pound lighter. Just for reference, Im 6ft tall but felt more comfortable on XL.

Happy Trails
    Attachment 755321
    Thank you for comparison Scott. Im going to reweigh the bike tubeless this weekend. I might be kicking myself for going XL if the L is in fact a half pound lighter. Just for reference, Im 6ft tall but felt more comfortable on XL.
    I'm 6-1 about 186 cm and tried both sizes ... actually obsessed a little about size, but took my current bike down to the shop and ended up on a Large. I'm pleased with my decision. The saddle-tip-to-handlebar-centerline is perfect for me, (23.25") with 9" of exposed seatpost, but I'm going to need to switch to a -5 degree stem from my OEM -15 degree stem to get the bar a little higher and the saddle-to-bar drop a little less. (Wanna' trade stems?) At our height, either I think either L or XL would work. I would not worry for one second about the weight if the bike fits you great.... Scalpel still the lightest thing going. Tubeless will make a difference, too.

I've been riding the heck out of this bike and love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-scalpel-jan-2013.jpg  

Last edited by Scott In MD; 01-23-2013 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I should have added that my XL Scalpel is a Ultimate. Im taken back by the weight difference between the L and XL. Im very happy with the performance but really expected a lighter bike for the price.
    as noted above, my posted weight is for the large, setup tubeless.

if yours is stock, the differences with mine are:
    * mine's a large
    * i'm using tuned R1 brakes (lighter than XTRs)
    * i'm using a reverb (heavier than the fizik)
    * i've got an srm on there
    * i'm running Ti eggbeaters
    * stock tires are 2.1 ralphs TLR; i'm running 2.25 SS rear and 2.25 front
    * mine are tubeless (my weight includes stan's)

re: the last point -- the stock kenda tubes are 210g a piece. ditching the tubes saves 420g, ditching the rim strips and adding gorilla tape is basically a wash, and 2 cups of stan's per wheel adds 160g.

so, i'd say that's around 6/10 of a pound saved.

also, i'm 5'11 and running a large with no spacers and a 100/-5 stem. i've got legs that are a bit shorter than average for my height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Attachment 755321

I'm 6-1 about 186 cm and tried both sizes ... actually obsessed a little about size, but took my current bike down to the shop and ended up on a Large. I'm pleased with my decision. The saddle-tip-to-handlebar-centerline is perfect for me, (23.25") with 9" of exposed seatpost, but I'm going to need to switch to a -5 degree stem from my OEM -15 degree stem to get the bar a little higher and the saddle-to-bar drop a little less. (Wanna' trade stems?) At our height, either I think either L or XL would work. I would not worry for one second about the weight if the bike fits you great.... Scalpel still the lightest thing going. Tubeless will make a difference, too.

I've been riding the heck out of this bike and love it.
    Thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm not sure what stem is currently on the bike as It was fit for me when it came in. I suspect it is the 90 +5deg.The LBS had all length and rise variations in stock, so we just went with the what felt the best. I'll shoot you a pm with their number as I know they are in stock and ready to ship (In Maryland).

I took your lead on doing some preventive cosmetic maintenance. Ordered in the the Hollowgram boots, they will be in tomorrow. Nothing worse then having scratched up crank ends and arms. Also started covering the vital areas tonight with XPEL polyurethane, IE down-tube and underside of the bottom bracket, and crank arms above the boot. Have quite a bit more to do. So far, so good. Should keep the frame looking good for a long time.

as noted above, my posted weight is for the large, setup tubeless.

if yours is stock, the differences with mine are:
    * mine's a large
    * i'm using tuned R1 brakes (lighter than XTRs)
    * i'm using a reverb (heavier than the fizik)
    * i've got an srm on there
    * i'm running Ti eggbeaters
    * stock tires are 2.1 ralphs TLR; i'm running 2.25 SS rear and 2.25 front
    * mine are tubeless (my weight includes stan's)

re: the last point -- the stock kenda tubes are 210g a piece. ditching the tubes saves 420g, ditching the rim strips and adding gorilla tape is basically a wash, and 2 cups of stan's per wheel adds 160g.

so, i'd say that's around 6/10 of a pound saved.

also, i'm 5'11 and running a large with no spacers and a 100/-5 stem. i've got legs that are a bit shorter than average for my height.
    Read your post and stopped by Home Depot to pick up some 1 inch width Gorilla tape. I'll be setup tubeless this weekend. Wont be in the 22 lb range like I had hoped but close enough according to your numbers. In terms of the seat-post, I'm waiting for the Thompson adjustable to hit the market. I have a Reverb on my trail bike, Rumblefish Pro, and really like it. It is an older version that has some weight so it wont be going onto the Scalpel. Thank you for taking the time to post a comparison. It is helpful and gives me an idea on where the weight is coming from. I suspect that the 2013 Ultimate is lighter then the 2012 I just picked up (sold when I found out it had the 2013 Lefty).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I got a quistion for other 2013 scalpel1 owners.

Has anyone tried to get the rear damper harder on your scalpel with remote lockout?

I don't think there is much diffen't betwen locked and open. And i tried 2 diffen't bikes?

Compared to the scalpel 3 that really "lock" it's rear damper?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SP Rasmussen View Post
    I got a quistion for other 2013 scalpel1 owners.

Has anyone tried to get the rear damper harder on your scalpel with remote lockout?

I don't think there is much diffen't betwen locked and open. And i tried 2 diffen't bikes?

Compared to the scalpel 3 that really "lock" it's rear damper?
    I've noticed the same thing, only a slight difference. Scalpel is not seeing much action in the winter months. I was putting off messing with it until the weather changes and I can test adjustments. Going to start with trimming and bleeding lockout, then post something on the suspension forum for ideas, and maybe call Rockshox for tuning tips. Have to remove spacer in Lefty too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    just got mine so keep us posted about increasing the damper on the rear. I'm coming from a hard tail but like the option of a FS with RL. Waiting for snow to clear for a ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi tetonrider2,

I was just wondering if you found out which XTR front derailleur would fit on the Scalpel 29er?

Thanks,
    Scratchmonkey

can anyone tell me which, specifically, shimano xtr front derailleur is compatible with the scalpel 29er 2x10?

is it the FD-M985-E (with the BB-plate removed), or the FD-M985-E2?

i imagine it is NOT the FD-M986-D.

i'm thinking it would be the M985-E2 (designed for 38-40T chainrings, but it only is rated 12T capacity, vs the M985-E @ 40-44T/14T capacity).

thank you!

EDIT: the scalpel 29er manual states the following which suggests it is the -E(2) version i'm after: "Both frames (carbon and alloy) utilize a direct mount adapter (i.e. SRAM S3 or Shimano E-Type without a BB plate)." however, it does not state M985-E or -E2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    I'm running a Hans Dampf 2.35 in the front. Awesome tire.
    Can you expend on that statement ?
    I am looking into changing the FRONT tire 2.25 RaRas on my Flash 29 C2 (and maybe My wife's Scalpel 29 C1) in order to gain more confidence on D/H and Technical Singles.
    Currently every small rock nudge the bikes to the left and right and I have to really focus on keeping the front from washing out.
    I am 180 lbs, running tubeless 20-22 psi front/rear.
    I am willing to sacrifice some of the speed/weight to gain a confident ride. Maybe the additional weight in the front will stabilize the bike a bit.
    Locality: Southern California hard-pack and and loose dirt, I don't care about mud and wet roots...

Strangely enough I test rode a Niner Jet RDO the other day
    It has the RaRas/Sid fork and the ride was so much confident, than my Flash and Scalpel.
    So is My Niner One SS - RaRas/Sid Fork as well...
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2

mtbr member
    Does anyone have issues with rear hub play on their Tricon's? If I apply the rear brake, I can rock the bike back and forth and there seems to be play in the hub.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm running the reynolds so can't comment on the hub play for the DT Swiss. In regards to the Niners, I think a lot is personal preference with bikes honestly and how your riding style mates with the bike. With so many variables in suspension, it can really change from rider to rider. Me personally, I like a firm pedaling platform and just enough suspension to save my back after 4 hours so the scalpel is great.

In that regards, has anyone figured out a way to make XX shock a bit more firm on the lockout platform without boosting the hell out of the air pressure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHICKS View Post
    Does anyone have issues with rear hub play on their Tricon's? If I apply the rear brake, I can rock the bike back and forth and there seems to be play in the hub.
    I had this problem and thought it was the back wheel as well. Turned out to be the lower pivot on the seat tube was worn. My LBS rebuilt it and now it's as good as new...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wildh View Post
    I'm running the reynolds so can't comment on the hub play for the DT Swiss. In regards to the Niners, I think a lot is personal preference with bikes honestly and how your riding style mates with the bike. With so many variables in suspension, it can really change from rider to rider. Me personally, I like a firm pedaling platform and just enough suspension to save my back after 4 hours so the scalpel is great.

In that regards, has anyone figured out a way to make XX shock a bit more firm on the lockout platform without boosting the hell out of the air pressure?
    I warrantied my xx because I was losing 20+psi per ride. The new one locks out firm and has a good feel when unlocked. Exactly what I was expecting out of the first but never could get with similar pressures. All I did was swap the left remote off the new shock and put original right xloc on and bled the line. Not sure how helpful my experience is other than you can get true lockout on it if the seals are good and the xloc is bled properly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Scalpel 29 Ride Report

Hi

I posted in this thread last year when I bought a 2012 scalpel 1 29er. I've ridden it once.

I took it out for a short spin this afternoon - problem. The rear brake (I think avid) is semi applying itself so that the rear wheel turns but it doesn't freewheel.

Can any of you guys help me out? The bike has sat for almost 18 months in a shed. Is there anything I can do to quickly fix this ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Scalpel 29 Ride Report

http://m.cyclingnews.com/features//p...-29er#previous

Can anyone advise where I can get a rear shock lockout kit for my 2012 scalpel 29er 1?

Is it off the shelf or is it custom made?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Finally got my Scalpel 2 to Moab to play. Last time there was on a Rise 1.
    Climbing and negotiating obstacles was head and shoulders above the Rise.
    I want more! The down hill and drops(smaller) were a bit rougher on me(I'm 57 now),still the over all experience on the Scalpel was fantastic. I'm a XC guy and I was happy with how the bike took the beating Moab can give. Now I'm back to the buff trails of Boise, thinking about that next rip down south.

mtbr member
    I just weighed my XL Scalpel Team all stock with no pedals and its 22lbs 12oz on my Berkely Digital Fishing Scale. With pedals (540's) it is 23lbs 8oz.

My teammate picked up the same bike in a medium and they are closer than half pound in weight difference out of the box.
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My shop told me the Lefty's travel can be increased from 100 to 120 m.m. by changing some internal part(s). I am thinking about this option. The cup on the head tube can be placed on the bottom to lengthen the strut and slacken the angle about .5 degrees. If any of you have tried or heard results of either option, please let me know. Thanks. John

mtbr member
    Increasing the travel? This is the first I've heard of this. I've done the headset spacer swap to the bottom and the difference is noticeable, but an extra 20mm up front would be nice to try, as long as it doesn't make the front end wonder around to much.

mtbr member
    My shop told me the Lefty's travel can be increased from 100 to 120 m.m. by changing some internal part(s). I am thinking about this option. The cup on the head tube can be placed on the bottom to lengthen the strut and slacken the angle about .5 degrees. If any of you have tried or heard results of either option, please let me know. Thanks. John
    Read this:Who's moved the Scalpel 29er headset spacer from the top to the bottom?

I never heard, that travel can increased from 100mm to 120mm,(Lefty 29′er Carbon XLR Hybrid, 100mm, OPI, Solo Air)
    2013 Cannondale scalpel 1 29´er
    Merida Reacto 907
    www.mckramppi.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Scalpel 29 Ride Report

Can I fit a remote lockout type shock to my 29er1? 2012 model

mtbr member
    Shouuld be able to. There is a setup on ebay right now. I am not sure if you can just bolt it on and bleed it or not though..
    Rock Shox Lefty Xloc Remote Removed from Cannondale Lefty Shock Carbon XLR | eBay
    Larry Miller-
    www.laxon3.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    You will need Also the whole XLR damper
    The lockout by itself will not work.
    S.C. TB2
    Flash29C2

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ran into the local Cannondale rep at a trailhead here in SLC the other day. He had the Scalpel 2 and had increased the travel to 120 and put the cup on the bottom. He said the climbing ability took a little hit but absolutely loved the downhill with these changes. I might do it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Scalpel 29 Ride Report

How does the xlr shock compare to what is stock on the 2012 29er 1?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How does the xlr shock compare to what is stock on the 2012 29er 1?
    The 2012 seemed a little smoother. The carbon is a bit lighter, of course, but has a bit more flex. The aluminum has attachments molded into one, resulting in increased stiffness and slightly more precise handling. This is all the domain of ever-so-small matters, and perhaps just noticeable by the connoisseurs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast