Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 506
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    234
    Depends on your where you are riding, because this statement is not always true:

    "when I got hooked on the hardtail 29er. I love it that all the pedal you do goes to the ground(no waste)"

    This statement is often wrong depending on terrain. FS bikes with less travel have been shown to transfer your effort of pedal to tire better in many cases than a hardtail. When your over chattry terrain and your rear end is off the ground your pedaling is turning a tire off the ground on a hardtail.

    It all depends on the terrain and rider.

    Many studies have shown that actual times vs. the sensation of "fast" are often wrong also.

  2. #102
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    I was a full suspension(spesh Enduro) guy until 3 weeks ago when I got hooked on the hardtail 29er. I love it that all the pedal you do goes to the ground(no waste) and I am just hesitant with getting the Scalpel since its a FS. Does the Sclapel 2(Monarch)have a lockout? With the recent comments looks like it is an efficient climber too.
    That's the actual bike that got me hooked on the Scalpel ... I test rode the local reps bike down here in Florida. The first time I rode it, I wasn't very sure about it. The suspension and the handle bar didn't feel right to me . The reason for that is that the bike was dialed in for a local pro racer who used the bike for a 6hr race, 150lb rider with infinite physical and mountain biking skills with an extremely (23 1/2") narrow bar for me.
    The LBS changed out the bar and dialed in the suspension for me (220lb) and the rest is history. I went for the Scalpel 1 because of the weight of the bike, no other reason.
    The thing I like most is climbing and riding the heavily rooted sections . The suspension on this bike excels in both of these arenas.
    Go for it, you won't regret it...

  3. #103
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Depends on your where you are riding, because this statement is not always true:

    "when I got hooked on the hardtail 29er. I love it that all the pedal you do goes to the ground(no waste)"

    This statement is often wrong depending on terrain. FS bikes with less travel have been shown to transfer your effort of pedal to tire better in many cases than a hardtail. When your over chattry terrain and your rear end is off the ground your pedaling is turning a tire off the ground on a hardtail.

    It all depends on the terrain and rider.

    Many studies have shown that actual times vs. the sensation of "fast" are often wrong also.
    There is a course called Oleta . The roots in this park are designed to remove the teeth from your mouth . A dental nightmare . Anyways, this place was designed by GOD for a full suspension. There are quite a few who ride it on hardtails there but they are the guys you might see in walkers when they get to be my age (50) . I'm just jealous, I can't take it

    I prefer FS myself. I'm not so interested in being so connected to nature anymore, I prefer to ride for as long as I can and enjoy nature that way.
    Last edited by torque29er; 04-10-2012 at 05:56 PM.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    457
    Err

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    I picked up my new Cannondale Scalpel 29 Carbon 1 last Saturday. Wow! It is a very visually appealing bike to say the least. Some things the photos have not really shown were the width of the top tube and the “S” bend of the seat tube to make way for the front derailleur, very unique to be sure. The rear seat and chain stays are also very thick. In person, the bike just looks very aggressive and robust; it is nothing short of awesome. I ordered a large and elected to replace the XO brakes for the World cup version of XX. I decided to keep it a full SRAM kit for simplicity sake and also because my lbs has SRAM parts readily available. Weight on my size large was 23.04 lbs on the shop scale. Apart from adding an Arundel cage and XTR pedals it is bone stock.

    So after picking it up on Saturday it was not until Monday that I was able to get my first ride in on the new machine. I want to preface my ride report with some of my experience. I am 6’2”, 175 lbs and race CAT 1 XC, 100 milers, 24 hours, etc. I’ve been moving away from XC towards endurance since I’m getting tired of the pain of XC racing at 39! My previous bike was a Yeti ASR-C and I loved it. However, I had the chance to demo an Orbea 29er while the Yeti frame was being warrantied (for the 3rd time) and I really liked the feel of the 29er more underneath my gangly physique. The Yeti was an awesome bike but 3 frames being warrantied really concerned me so I sold it. I own a Cannondale Super Six and that is what led me to starting looking at this bike.

    So first ride out: wow! When I first starting riding I knew from experience the big wheels would make the turns flow much more. This bike was better than the Orbea though because it rarely lost contact with the ground, despite how rough things became. Riding on hardback with heavy leaf cover with a root/rock scattered here there, I did not feel like I could override this bike’s ability. I still did not push it to the limits, but I can say those limits are much greater than the Yeti’s. The adjective that kept running through my mind was “direct.” This bike is so precise, direct engagement of pedal input; direct feeling on the steering, direct shifting; everything just felt very “connected” if that makes sense. One example I’ll give is running over a loose rock in the middle of the trail. Previous bikes would absorb the impact and then give a secondary bounce to the left or right, leading to a rough or unstable feeling. The Scalpel addressed this with a very secure feeling lateral bounce and rested back down with a very direct/solid feel. I think this has mostly to do with the combination of the Lefty and big wheel, but also contributing to this is the very noticeably light front end. This is the lightest front end I have ever felt on a bike, which has included carbon forks and high end 26” wheel sets. The pedaling input also feels very stiff and direct. It is the stiffest pedal input of any frame I’ve ridden. I expected this because of the size of the PF30 BB and the massive seat stays and chain stays. One slight annoyance was that my calves would regularly hit the seat stay, nothing major and something I was able to overcome. On one climb that is very steep with rocks, I’d have problems spinning out on the Yeti. I expected that not too happen on with this bike and I was right. The big wheels and suspension kept it securely hooked up and I motored up what used to be a 50/50 rideable hill. The Schwalbe’s only spun out one time climbing, but I think that was more gear selection and leaves over loose rocks. They seem like they’re going to work pretty well for me and running them at 27psi probably helped, but I think I may run them even lower next time out because the sidewall flex did not ever appear like I was coming close to the rim.

    One other thing about this bike I noticed is that it is quiet, damn quiet. I kept trying to figure out what was different about the ride (besides the feel) and I realized I never heard the chain slap the frame. I’m not sure if this is the XX derailleur or the design of the frame, but I noticed it and I really like it. The Yeti was louder than a busted chainsaw going through rock gardens, so maybe that it is why I noticed this bikes stealthy silence. The shifting also was very direct and quiet and I can tell that I am going to be very happy with the 2x10 setup. Having ridden XTR triple cranks for the last 6 years, this was a huge step up. If you been contemplating 2x10, do it; I’m sold.

    You can probably tell I am a huge fan of this bike, however; it can’t always be all puppy dogs and ice cream. Some things that weren’t what I expected. As I mentioned I changed out the XO’s to the XX WC brakes. I’ve had Avid brakes in the past and I haven’t been a fan. I’m not sure I’ve changed my mind on these brakes. After riding XTR these felt really industrial on their modulation. I just don’t like the metal on metal feeling you get with Avid/Sram brakes. I may switch the pads to organic to see if that will help because overall power is fine. One other strange thing is the cable routing on this bike. It looks like an afterthought. The derailleur cables run on the underneath side of the down tube, but the rear brake line runs on the top left of the down tube, being secured by a clamp that doubles as the lower bolt for the bottle cage. It makes for a weird juncture at the left side crank arm and really just kind of looks ugly on an otherwise beautiful bike. I don’t know why they would not have just had all 3 cables/lines run down the bottom of the down tube. Nothing major, but I thought I’d mention it. The area reserved for the bottle cage is also a little tight, but I was still able to use a 24oz bottle with just a slightly different process to get it removed and resecured quickly. These are not huge issues and do not take away from the primary purpose of the bike.

    I have a pretty good bar to seat drop and I really feel secure and fast on this bike. I think I read on another forum somewhere the feeling of sitting “in” the bike vs. “on” the bike. I just feel it “click” in as soon as the pedals start turning. This bike does everything very well and I have no doubt we will see several thousand miles together, miles that will be seen a lot more quickly and comfortable than I have experienced in the past!
    (A few pics from the maiden ride)
    EDIT: Put paragraphs back in!
    How have the tri cons been holding up,I'm thinking of buying a set for my flash...sweet ride !!

  6. #106
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    I've had several rides now, with the longest being a 4.5 hour training ride. All my initial thoughts are the same. This is the perfect machine for endurance races, I never came off the Yeti feeling as "fresh" as I did after being in the saddle of the Scalpel for several hours. The bike is just so solid. I don't think I'll ever ride a non Lefty bike again. Also, It's a great climber which has been very surprising to me. I wish there was a second bottle cage, but the seat post mounted Spec adapter has fixed that. The 2x10 has plenty of "granny" gear; I wouldn't be surprised to see 3x10's disappear altogether in a few years. All in all, very pleased.
    Post some more pics!!!

    Did you re-route the cables?
    How did you end up with the water bottle issue? I have the same issue...

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    18
    Scapel 29 many models and sizes carbon and alloy.
    The Peddler Of Long Branch. Ask for Mike

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20
    So i finally made the decision and brought her home yesterday. Got a couple Stans' valve and sealant.....took her tubes out and went to the trails for an evening maiden ride.....so happy i made the right decision.....im faster on this bike.......cant wait to take her out again...

    Photobucket

    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    need help deciding which bike to get...will be used to join a few xc races and will be my weekend warrior bike

    local trails: roots and rocks...east coast

    LBS prices:
    2012 Flash Carbon 2 - $4,400 , can get this for $3800(local seller)
    2012 Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4,800

  9. #109
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    So i finally made the decision and brought her home yesterday. Got a couple Stans' valve and sealant.....took her tubes out and went to the trails for an evening maiden ride.....so happy i made the right decision.....im faster on this bike.......cant wait to take her out again...

    Photobucket

    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Congrats on your Bike!!!
    Looks Great!!!

    Now your only problem will be how not to run over the guys in front of you, and looking at their faces after you pass them up...

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    380
    Getting a Scalpel1 hopefully next week.Live in Co. and need to switch to a 22 or 24 chain ring on the crank. The 26 is too big for all the climbing out here. What is the least expensive way to do this? What chainrings fit the hollowgram crank?...if any.....Any help would be appreciated......
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    85
    Getting close to 900 miles on my scalpel 2 thus far. Love it, by far the best bike I have ever owned.

    Finally have it set up the way I want it for racing.

    Mods I have made:
    Hollowgrams
    pluto titec carbon bar
    foam grips
    kcnc post
    selle italia carbon saddle
    Formula R1 brakes
    exustar spds

    with the stock arches/ignitors/R1/stock casette rotors the bike weighs 23.6lbs

    With my am29er carbon wheelset/Ikon/ashima rotors/xx cassette: 22.1lbs

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    20

    creaking headset?

    my 2012 scalpel 29er is now having this issue.....did you have this issue too?

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    247
    I've got a few hundred miles on my Scalpel 1 29er. I was waiting until after my first endurance race to report but weather blew the race out.
    I decided to get The Scalpel because I wanted: a larger diameter front axle and have wanted to ride a lefty for awhile; to try a stiffer/larger back axle; and a lighter 29er fs rig. I'd been racing an Ellsworth Evolve for several years and liked the bike well enough to keep it that long.
    The Scalpel is comfortable in rough stuff. Stable with confident handling. Climbs well whether spinning or slowly picking your way up technical stuff. It is not as plush on descents as the Evolve but is exceptionally well mannered and plenty fast (for me) downhill.
    The suspension is well balanced when set at spec sag. I may fool with pressures and dampners some to see what different settings offer.
    It generally accelerates rides and climbs much like my hardtail. You also get the less beat, fresher feeling benefit of a fs hours into a ride.
    I went with I9 ultralight XC wheels and even with "flexy" crest wheels at 153 lbs. the bike is solid under me.
    With the wheels, a selle SLR TT, Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals, XX cassette, and slightly cut down bars it weighed in at 21lbs 12 oz.
    I expected to be kind of ambivalent due to the money and expected a good but "compromised" ride. I have to say "WOW, what a ride."

  14. #114
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovertd View Post
    I've got a few hundred miles on my Scalpel 1 29er. I was waiting until after my first endurance race to report but weather blew the race out.
    I decided to get The Scalpel because I wanted: a larger diameter front axle and have wanted to ride a lefty for awhile; to try a stiffer/larger back axle; and a lighter 29er fs rig. I'd been racing an Ellsworth Evolve for several years and liked the bike well enough to keep it that long.
    The Scalpel is comfortable in rough stuff. Stable with confident handling. Climbs well whether spinning or slowly picking your way up technical stuff. It is not as plush on descents as the Evolve but is exceptionally well mannered and plenty fast (for me) downhill.
    The suspension is well balanced when set at spec sag. I may fool with pressures and dampners some to see what different settings offer.
    It generally accelerates rides and climbs much like my hardtail. You also get the less beat, fresher feeling benefit of a fs hours into a ride.
    I went with I9 ultralight XC wheels and even with "flexy" crest wheels at 153 lbs. the bike is solid under me.
    With the wheels, a selle SLR TT, Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals, XX cassette, and slightly cut down bars it weighed in at 21lbs 12 oz.
    I expected to be kind of ambivalent due to the money and expected a good but "compromised" ride. I have to say "WOW, what a ride."
    Sounds awesome!!! Sounds like you like the bike, and I say you did pretty good by that light weight, posts some pics and congrats to you!!!

  15. #115
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by utah joe View Post
    Getting close to 900 miles on my scalpel 2 thus far. Love it, by far the best bike I have ever owned.

    Finally have it set up the way I want it for racing.

    Mods I have made:
    Hollowgrams
    pluto titec carbon bar
    foam grips
    kcnc post
    selle italia carbon saddle
    Formula R1 brakes
    exustar spds

    with the stock arches/ignitors/R1/stock casette rotors the bike weighs 23.6lbs

    With my am29er carbon wheelset/Ikon/ashima rotors/xx cassette: 22.1lbs
    Amazing weight, Nice Build !!!

  16. #116
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    my 2012 scalpel 29er is now having this issue.....did you have this issue too?
    There's a rubber gasket near the top of the headset, Put some lubricant there and see if that's it. I had the same issue and it went away.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Getting a Scalpel1 hopefully next week.Live in Co. and need to switch to a 22 or 24 chain ring on the crank. The 26 is too big for all the climbing out here. What is the least expensive way to do this? What chainrings fit the hollowgram crank?...if any.....Any help would be appreciated......
    You'll need to get a triple ring spider in 104/64BCD. The BCD on the Scalpel will be 120/80. I've done both my Primus Mootry and my new Flirefly with the 104/64 and using 32/22 chain rings. I'm using a bash guard on the biggest ring. Works perfect.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    my 2012 scalpel 29er is now having this issue.....did you have this issue too?
    Lube the spacers as noted and also make sure the headset is tight. The two headsets that I have pulled spacers out of were not greased as Cannondale states to do in there tech manual. I thought my headset was tight after removing spacers but it did settle in slightly and the creak came back. Had to snug it up.

  19. #119
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    norty_mtb...

    Hows the ride ?

    No pics yet ?

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    380
    So I got my Scalpel #1 yesterday. First ride impressions..LIGHT, TIGHT, and ready to FIGHT!...Wow what a fast rolling bike.Feels like a toyota truck if you know what I mean. Can't wait to put more miles on it. Will post pics soon..going to change the brakes out to XTR, everything else works sweet!!
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    2 first rides of the season on my Scalpel 2 29er and getting used to it (still making adjustments here and there on positioning)!
    I think i shall love it in time!

    Although my rear brake cable housing is way too long and slide a lot on the frame, which will get to wear if i don't fix it.
    Anyone have rerouted the rear brake cable and have pictures of it so i could figure out how to do it?
    Beside, where do you get the specialized clamps to do it?

    Thanks,

    JF

  22. #122
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdeshaies View Post
    2 first rides of the season on my Scalpel 2 29er and getting used to it (still making adjustments here and there on positioning)!
    I think i shall love it in time!

    Although my rear brake cable housing is way too long and slide a lot on the frame, which will get to wear if i don't fix it.
    Anyone have rerouted the rear brake cable and have pictures of it so i could figure out how to do it?
    Beside, where do you get the specialized clamps to do it?

    Thanks,

    JF
    I'm running a 1 x 10 so I only use two cables on the downtube, but nonetheless I routed the brake cable underneath the downtube. See pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-037-2-.jpg  

    Scalpel 29 Ride Report-038-2-.jpg  

    Scalpel 29 Ride Report-039-2-.jpg  

    Scalpel 29 Ride Report-040-2-.jpg  


  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9
    Thanks, that is helpful!
    I'll set it up this way (if i can get the clamp...)

    JF

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    334
    Any of you owns also a Flash Carbon 29er and can provide a comparison to the Scalpel ?

  25. #125
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterburner1967 View Post
    I will tell you soon. I got a Flash 29 Ultimate. And got a Scalpel carbon 2 in order.
    NICE !!! Post some pics too

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 03:38 PM
  2. Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?
    By guvna in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 12:46 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM
  4. From Scalpel to Rush. the first ride...
    By Anders in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 07:46 AM
  5. 1st ride on my Scalpel..this season
    By subzero in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •