Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 506
  1. #151
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    here are a couple additional thoughts for what i'm going to do with my build (ulty...). i'm looking to get it <21 pounds (with power meter & durable parts). <=20.5 would be a dream but not sure if it is reality.

    - replace xtr race w/ r1's from another bike. r1s (hose, lever, caliper) are around 165g for one.
    - masterpiece seatpost, cut to length & Ti hardware is about 170g
    - easton xc 70 wide bars -- lighter, wider, cheaper than the k-forces.
    - saddle...i'm sticking with what works. i'll give the tundra 00 a shot but will probably stick with a valcon carbon. not a great place to save weight (IMO) unless it really suits
    - pedals: i like time ATAC pedals...you can get the Ti version. not a fan of the eggbeaters myself, though they are light.
    - enve wheels, tubeless (as torque29er wrote)

    probably saves 100g or so more than what torque29er wrote, aside from the pedals and saddle.

    i'm concerned with durability AND weight.

    there are other options for lighter cables, perhaps tuning some bolts, lighter grips and rotors. you can pick up another 100g or so of savings there.
    1. Thank You "Rovertd"... I stand corrected... The actual weight on the 1070casette is 290gr..

    2. Also the FSA bar is also lighter at 120gr for 670mm than I posted...
    ...BTW the FSA bar is lighter than the same size Easton bar..From Easton's own site..."EC70 Wide is a full 685-milimeters in width, making it just the right partner for grunting up steep climbs. And at just 150-grams, the EC70 XC Wide is still wicked light! ".

    Either way you go it's still very light...

    Total Savings= 835gr - pedals (174gr)= Total... 661gr = 1lb 7.3oz :thumbsup

  2. #152
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by utah joe View Post
    I have a scalpel 2 that I have done the following mods to:

    formula R1 brakes/ rotors
    titec pluto 660 bar, foam grips
    hollowgram crankset
    selle italia carbon saddle
    kcnc post
    "nancy racing" carbon wheelset stock lefty front hub/dt swiss 240 rear. 1530grams
    ikons mounted tubeless
    xx cassette

    with no pedals its 21.7lbs and 22.2 with my exustar pedals.
    Which exustar pedals do you use?

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    1. Thank You "Rovertd"... I stand corrected... The actual weight on the 1070casette is 290gr..

    2. Also the FSA bar is also lighter at 120gr for 670mm than I posted...
    ...BTW the FSA bar is lighter than the same size Easton bar..From Easton's own site..."EC70 Wide is a full 685-milimeters in width, making it just the right partner for grunting up steep climbs. And at just 150-grams, the EC70 XC Wide is still wicked light! ".

    Either way you go it's still very light...

    Total Savings= 835gr - pedals (174gr)= Total... 661gr = 1lb 7.3oz :thumbsup
    all reports are that the FSA's actual weights are heavier than stated, on the order of 145-160g when they actually hit production for several models that were quoted as 125. they are also 600mm wide (vs the easton's 685). i suspect if you cut the eastons down to 600 then you'd drop 15g or so. easton's 590mm ec90 xc is 110g, for reference.

    you are right about the ec70--the chart below that shows 125g (Easton Cycling, so i guess there is some confusion.

    i have a set of ec90 SL's that come in at around 120-125g, but they are a bit narrower (635 vs 685mm).

    food for thought. not sure if 590mm is wide enough for a 29er.

    my scalpel comes with enve bars that are 700mm wide and a stated 175g. hm. i'll have to think about what i wanted to do. i was sure i'd ditch them for the EC70 XC wides @ 125, but if they are 150 i'm not so sure.

  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Looked up the eggies - they are wickedly awesome !!!

    Looking up the seat now.

    Thanks
    eggbeaters are super-duper-light...but i know of too many failures for me to rely on them where i ride.

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    1. Yes the Enves are a great set... Project 321 has a great set w/ an awesome hub-set
    1550gr vs 1850gr stock.. savings= 300gr

    2. Tubeless conversion... savings= 160gr

    3. FSA K-Force Light Super-K Flatbars 670mm are 130gr vs 180gr stock... savings= 50gr

    4. XTR Race Brake M985 210gr but Magura MT8 Disc Brake 195gr, both really work are awesome too vs 288gr stock... savings= 78gr

    5. Eggbeaters 11 titanium 174gr ... N/A

    6. Fizik Cyrano Carbon Seatpost 193gr vs 221gr stock... savings= 28gr

    7. Selle SLR Tekno Carbon Seat 85gr vs 190gr stock... savings= 105gr

    8. XX SRAM XG-1099 Cassette 186gr vs 229gr... savings= 44gr

    Total Savings= 765gr - pedals (174gr)= Total... 591gr = 1lb 4.8oz

    I'm sure there are other places to shave more weight off but this is a quick expensive start, I think the savings in weight are pretty accurate but check for yourself
    A you can see all the components listed above are lighter than the stock components but very important to me, just as durable... Problem is $$$, isn't always !!!
    Looked up the eggies - they are wickedly awesome !!!

    Looking up the seat now.

    Thanks

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    all reports are that the FSA's actual weights are heavier than stated, on the order of 145-160g when they actually hit production for several models that were quoted as 125. they are also 600mm wide (vs the easton's 685). i suspect if you cut the eastons down to 600 then you'd drop 15g or so. easton's 590mm ec90 xc is 110g, for reference.

    you are right about the ec70--the chart below that shows 125g (Easton Cycling, so i guess there is some confusion.

    i have a set of ec90 SL's that come in at around 120-125g, but they are a bit narrower (635 vs 685mm).

    food for thought. not sure if 590mm is wide enough for a 29er.

    my scalpel comes with enve bars that are 700mm wide and a stated 175g. hm. i'll have to think about what i wanted to do. i was sure i'd ditch them for the EC70 XC wides @ 125, but if they are 150 i'm not so sure.
    Can one of you guys comment on the wide bars that seem so common now?

    I'm used to what I think are narrow ritchley world cup carbon bars (stock on my old 2006 team scalpel)

    Does anyone use carbon 29er bars or aren't they light enought?

    Can you run 26er type bars on 29er?

    Loving this thread btw. It's awesome

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    eggbeaters are super-duper-light...but i know of too many failures for me to rely on them where i ride.
    I'm starting to see your view on them - on a race on last Sunday my pedals were so hard to get into. Part of my problem is too many road riding miles and a short length pedal axel if you know what I mean. On Sunday once I started moving the foot over the eggies were easier to get into.

    I've not had a problem with mine but have heard of issues before.

  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Which exustar pedals do you use?
    These ones, 230ish grms

    EXUSTAR2011

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    247
    I assume people are cracking wise about 26er vs 29er bars. You can run whatever you want. I ran some EC 90 bars for a long time that were only 560mm wide (claimed 99 gm weight). I then switched to 580 Ti and carbon bars on my 29ers because 560 feels pretty narrow towards the end of endurance races.
    I cut the stock carbon TruVativ on my Scalpel 1 from 700mm down to ~600mm just to try a little wider (it is damn hard to glue them back together).
    I've test ridden a bunch of bikes with the "All mountain. I'm a badass wide bars" and turns out that this wimpy, XC rider don't need big bars smacking off of trees.

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Can one of you guys comment on the wide bars that seem so common now?

    I'm used to what I think are narrow ritchley world cup carbon bars (stock on my old 2006 team scalpel)

    Does anyone use carbon 29er bars or aren't they light enought?

    Can you run 26er type bars on 29er?

    Loving this thread btw. It's awesome
    the only different part you NEED on a 29er are the wheels/tires. otherwise, everything is the same. (well, except for the saddle, of course, you NEED a different saddle as 26er saddles just don't work on 29ers.)

    that said, it seems that SOME people prefer wider bars for more leverage on bigger wheels. others don't.

    i used to ride really wide bars on my 26er but started riding trails with narrower openings. i've been riding a 635mm wide set (low rise) of bars for a while.

    the stock (flat) bars on the scalpel i ordered are 700mm. i might cut them...but i also ordered a set of flat bars to try @ 590.

    the answer for you is: it depends. it's safer to buy something wider and cut them down when you are sure, rather than go too narrow.

  11. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovertd View Post
    A 29er fork is also a pretty good thing to have on a 29er frame.
    nah...overrated. what's a little tire rub? ;-)

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    247
    A 29er fork is also a pretty good thing to have on a 29er frame.

  13. #163
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    all reports are that the FSA's actual weights are heavier than stated, on the order of 145-160g when they actually hit production for several models that were quoted as 125. they are also 600mm wide (vs the easton's 685). i suspect if you cut the eastons down to 600 then you'd drop 15g or so. easton's 590mm ec90 xc is 110g, for reference.

    you are right about the ec70--the chart below that shows 125g (Easton Cycling, so i guess there is some confusion.

    i have a set of ec90 SL's that come in at around 120-125g, but they are a bit narrower (635 vs 685mm).

    food for thought. not sure if 590mm is wide enough for a 29er.

    my scalpel comes with enve bars that are 700mm wide and a stated 175g. hm. i'll have to think about what i wanted to do. i was sure i'd ditch them for the EC70 XC wides @ 125, but if they are 150 i'm not so sure.
    From FSA website:

    DESCRIPTION & MATERIALS
    • Unique FSA drop center design
    • Textured for control and stem grip
    SIZE
    • Ø31.8 x W600mm, W670mm
    • 600mm wide, 6 degree backsweep w/ 0 upsweep
    FINISH
    • UD Carbon Finish
    • Color graphics
    WEIGHT
    • 109 g...This has to be for the 600mm


    Bikes Online Website:

    SPECIFICATIONS:

    sub-model: Flat Bar
    material: UD carbon
    handlebar type: MTB
    width: 670mm width
    angle: 6 degree bend
    center diameter: 31.8mm diameter
    engraving: FSA logo
    color: carbon
    weight: 120gm... Hope this is true
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product Description
    •Carbon/Kevlar composite construction
    •Full width flat-top design with reinforced clamping zones
    •120 grams... Hope this is true

    I'll post the actual weight as I have one coming in this week, I'll let you know. Sometimes manufactures, manufacture their own weight calculations.

    Hopefully it will be as they post...

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    From FSA website:

    DESCRIPTION & MATERIALS
    • Unique FSA drop center design
    • Textured for control and stem grip
    SIZE
    • Ø31.8 x W600mm, W670mm
    • 600mm wide, 6 degree backsweep w/ 0 upsweep
    FINISH
    • UD Carbon Finish
    • Color graphics
    WEIGHT
    • 109 g...This has to be for the 600mm


    Bikes Online Website:

    SPECIFICATIONS:

    sub-model: Flat Bar
    material: UD carbon
    handlebar type: MTB
    width: 670mm width
    angle: 6 degree bend
    center diameter: 31.8mm diameter
    engraving: FSA logo
    color: carbon
    weight: 120gm... Hope this is true
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product Description
    •Carbon/Kevlar composite construction
    •Full width flat-top design with reinforced clamping zones
    •120 grams... Hope this is true

    I'll post the actual weight as I have one coming in this week, I'll let you know. Sometimes manufactures, manufacture their own weight calculations.

    Hopefully it will be as they post...
    the FSA stated weights have pretty much been shown to be very optimistic or apply to earlier (non-sustainable) versions. be curious to see what yours are.

  15. #165
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    the FSA stated weights have pretty much been shown to be very optimistic or apply to earlier (non-sustainable) versions. be curious to see what yours are.
    I wondering myself Hopefully they did bull sh!t me on this one..

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    I wondering myself Hopefully they did bull sh!t me on this one..
    i'm just posting again to see if you can use more icons in your next post. there are some you have not yet used in this thread.

  17. #167
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    i'm just posting again to see if you can use more icons in your next post. there are some you have not yet used in this thread.

  18. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    93

    Lefty out of the box

    Id be interested to hear how "sticky" your Lefty was out of the box? I have a new Scalpel 1 and the fork feels very "sticky" right now. Granted it is at Zero hours so it might break in??

    Any thoughts appreciated.

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by utah joe View Post
    I have a scalpel 2 that I have done the following mods to:

    formula R1 brakes/ rotors
    titec pluto 660 bar, foam grips
    hollowgram crankset
    selle italia carbon saddle
    kcnc post
    "nancy racing" carbon wheelset stock lefty front hub/dt swiss 240 rear. 1530grams
    ikons mounted tubeless
    xx cassette

    with no pedals its 21.7lbs and 22.2 with my exustar pedals.
    Thanks for posting this. I am really considering a scalpel 2 and was thinking of a few of these exact upgrades. This gives me a good idea of what is possible.

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    I wondering myself Hopefully they did bull sh!t me on this one..
    FYI:
    EC70 XC wide weighed in at 160g - 685mm
    EC90 flat weighed in at 120g - 590mm
    EC90 low rise: 135g - 635mm (sorry, initially type 127g, which was the weight for another part)

    all are 31.8 clamp size.
    Last edited by tetonrider2; 04-26-2012 at 09:59 PM.

  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7
    I just got a 2 and the lefty was instantly plush. I felt guilty and thought it needed more pressure. The bike is ridiculously smooth and effortlessly fast.

  22. #172
    PHS
    PHS is offline
    Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    89
    What are Scalpel 2's going for out the door? Anybody heard of any frame issues?

  23. #173
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    FYI:
    EC70 XC wide weighed in at 160g - 685mm
    EC90 flat weighed in at 120g - 590mm
    EC90 low rise: 135g - 635mm (sorry, initially type 127g, which was the weight for another part)

    all are 31.8 clamp size.
    I'll post the weight as soon as it arrives...
    More icons for you...

  24. #174
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    +1 ... My shock was completely smooth from the first ride...

    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBguru71 View Post
    I just got a 2 and the lefty was instantly plush. I felt guilty and thought it needed more pressure. The bike is ridiculously smooth and effortlessly fast.
    Heh heh! Coming from my other bike (Fox floats) I keep thinking the Lefty needs more air as well. It's so easy to compress for the first few cm - I usually get off to check it and am really surprised that I can't bottom it out. The lack of stiction for the first couple of cm makes quite a difference (and when you think about it, that's where your fork is doing the majority of its work)

  26. #176
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBguru71 View Post
    I just got a 2 and the lefty was instantly plush. I felt guilty and thought it needed more pressure. The bike is ridiculously smooth and effortlessly fast.
    Congrats to you !!!, it's an AWESOME bike!!! Post some pics as soon as your able... All I can say about the "Lefty" is that it impresses you more, the more you ride it...

    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  27. #177
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by jimification View Post
    Heh heh! Coming from my other bike (Fox floats) I keep thinking the Lefty needs more air as well. It's so easy to compress for the first few cm - I usually get off to check it and am really surprised that I can't bottom it out. The lack of stiction for the first couple of cm makes quite a difference (and when you think about it, that's where your fork is doing the majority of its work)
    +1...

  28. #178
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmc42 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I am really considering a scalpel 2 and was thinking of a few of these exact upgrades. This gives me a good idea of what is possible.
    Go for it, you won't be sorry!!! ... Get ready for some real speed !!!

    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    102
    Reading through the thread some question arises over the xc race bike pedigree of this bike, so is any of the cannondale team racing it this season? I quick scan on the internets yielded little conclusion other that than Bishop (?) using it in a long distance event. Maybe I missed it.

  30. #180
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    93

    Finished

    My Scalpel 29er complete came in at 21.4 pounds, medium.

    -All XX w/WC brakes
    -Enve Bar and post
    -Stans Race Gold wheels w/S-works LK tires tubeless
    -Shimano XTR pedals
    -Reynolds carbon cage
    -Ti bolts where necessary

    Ride report to come!

  31. #181
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by trukweaz View Post
    My Scalpel 29er complete came in at 21.4 pounds, medium.

    -All XX w/WC brakes
    -Enve Bar and post
    -Stans Race Gold wheels w/S-works LK tires tubeless
    -Shimano XTR pedals
    -Reynolds carbon cage
    -Ti bolts where necessary

    Ride report to come!
    Awesome !!!
    Lightest Scalpel 29 post I've seen
    Post some pics...

    ENJOY THE RIDE !!!

  32. #182
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Reading through the thread some question arises over the xc race bike pedigree of this bike, so is any of the cannondale team racing it this season? I quick scan on the internets yielded little conclusion other that than Bishop (?) using it in a long distance event. Maybe I missed it.
    I've pretty much looked at the thread myself, and whats your point?
    Other than people posting how happy they are with their bikes , how light they've been able to get it down to , and an occasional racer that uses the bike for racing , I really haven't seen anybody refer to any factory team racing issues.
    The fact is, the bike is really fast and the suspension works exceptionally well. That's pretty much what you can get from the majority of the postings...

    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  33. #183
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    119
    Can anyone advise what options are available to hop up the lefty 29er fork and fix shock on the scalpel 29er 1?

    My experience is with a fox lefty terra logic which a lot of people said were sub optimal.

    Can anyone explain the features on the suspension on the 29er 1 ?

    Thanks scalpel team!!

  34. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7
    My scalpel 29 2 Medium weighs 24.5 with candy 11 pedals and a heavy koobi seat. I did change the seat post, bars and went with XTR brakes and XTR shifters.

    I have I9's coming wed to set up tubeless and the xx cassette should have it close to 23.

    We weighed the Scalpel 29 Ultimate stock Large with heavy platform pedals at 22.9 and the medium Ultimate stock without pedals at 22.2.

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    490
    I'm not sure about a Fox Lefty..But I'm not digging mine on my new Scalpel 1. Can't find the plush spot. I tried 80,90,95,100,105,110 pressures and it just seems like its stiff all the time.Also I need more rake for the nasty downhill stuff out here in CO. I'm back to feeling I'm going to do a header again. Maybe since its a true racebike I need to sell and start over....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

  36. #186
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    I'm not sure about a Fox Lefty..But I'm not digging mine on my new Scalpel 1. Can't find the plush spot. I tried 80,90,95,100,105,110 pressures and it just seems like its stiff all the time.Also I need more rake for the nasty downhill stuff out here in CO. I'm back to feeling I'm going to do a header again. Maybe since its a true racebike I need to sell and start over....
    The Scalpel is definitely not a downhill bike...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  37. #187
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    I've pretty much looked at the thread myself, and whats your point?
    Other than people posting how happy they are with their bikes , how light they've been able to get it down to , and an occasional racer that uses the bike for racing , I really haven't seen anybody refer to any factory team racing issues.
    The fact is, the bike is really fast and the suspension works exceptionally well. That's pretty much what you can get from the majority of the postings...

    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!
    The point is not whether people on the thread think the bike is a light or fast etc, the question is whether any pros are racing it.

  38. #188
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,364
    Mine felt the same way. I upped the pressure to 135 from 120 and it felt much better. Wierd. I weigh 225lb.

  39. #189
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    The point is not whether people on the thread think the bike is a light or fast etc, the question is whether any pros are racing it.
    And where are the people posting it that it's being raced by many or any pro's.
    And what does it matter?
    Remember, it's a brand new bike too.
    Sorry but I don't understand what you mean ?
    Last edited by torque29er; 05-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  40. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    And where are the people posting it that it's being raced by many or any pro's.
    Sorry but I don't understand what you mean ?
    I'll spell it out for you:

    Q: Do any cannondale pros race the Scalpel 29er?

    Possible answers: All, some, none, only for certain races etc etc

    Point of the question: If no pros race the bike then what does this say about the bike? Simple.

  41. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Point of the question: If no pros race the bike then what does this say about the bike? Simple.
    Doesnt Tim Johnson use one? I know he did for Leadville at least....That said, buying bikes based on what top level pros do/use is pretty silly.

  42. #192
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I'll spell it out for you:

    Q: Do any cannondale pros race the Scalpel 29er?

    Possible answers: All, some, none, only for certain races etc etc

    Point of the question: If no pros race the bike then what does this say about the bike? Simple.
    Buy a bike because you like it , not because a manufacturer paid an individual or individuals to race their product. Whether the pro likes it or not is irrelevant to him as long the money is there. After the contract is over, another manufacturer pays them more money and so now that's the best bike. I don't think so, at that level, it's ALL about the BENJAMINS!!! ...

    Do you think that the bike wins the races or the guys who ride them?

    If your going to buy a bike based upon whether or not a pro races it,
    then you should inform all bike manufacturers to shut production of most of what they build. You'll be doing them a favor and saving them tons of money.

    Remember, the most important thing is to find a bike "YOU" like , forget about what others think, and go ride the friggen thing like a happy madman!!!
    Last edited by torque29er; 05-02-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  43. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Mine felt the same way. I upped the pressure to 135 from 120 and it felt much better. Wierd. I weigh 225lb.
    Wow do you guys read the setup documentation? at 225 you should be running around 155 in your fork to even be kinda close. You want 20-25% sag. So the BALLPARK is to use 70% of your total weight. Then measure and adjust from there.

    at 225 running 120lbs that fork had to of been a mess. Even at 135 its still way to low.

    Im 165 and I run 70% weight, ie 115lbs and its pretty much perfect 20% for me. And I love it, coming from a fox its amazing better.


    For the rear I actually run 5lbs more than my weight, again right at 20%. I just finished Cohutta on it and have been doing a lot of 100mile rides, and the 20% sag on this bike feels better to me.


    And BTW, ive got 2400 miles on this bike since I got it at Xmas, so im not just some random poster. Ive ridden everything from Ouachita Challenge to pre-riding Syllamo a few times. Meaning very technical to 14k Climbing at Choutta. I really like this bike.

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    Wow do you guys read the setup documentation? at 225 you should be running around 155 in your fork to even be kinda close. You want 20-25% sag. So the BALLPARK is to use 70% of your total weight. Then measure and adjust from there.

    at 225 running 120lbs that fork had to of been a mess. Even at 135 its still way to low.

    Im 165 and I run 70% weight, ie 115lbs and its pretty much perfect 20% for me. And I love it, coming from a fox its amazing better.


    For the rear I actually run 5lbs more than my weight, again right at 20%. I just finished Cohutta on it and have been doing a lot of 100mile rides, and the 20% sag on this bike feels better to me.


    And BTW, ive got 2400 miles on this bike since I got it at Xmas, so im not just some random poster. Ive ridden everything from Ouachita Challenge to pre-riding Syllamo a few times. Meaning very technical to 14k Climbing at Choutta. I really like this bike.

    Spot on advice and also stated in many fork manuals exactly the same ratio.

  45. #195
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post
    Wow do you guys read the setup documentation? at 225 you should be running around 155 in your fork to even be kinda close. You want 20-25% sag. So the BALLPARK is to use 70% of your total weight. Then measure and adjust from there.

    at 225 running 120lbs that fork had to of been a mess. Even at 135 its still way to low.

    Im 165 and I run 70% weight, ie 115lbs and its pretty much perfect 20% for me. And I love it, coming from a fox its amazing better.


    For the rear I actually run 5lbs more than my weight, again right at 20%. I just finished Cohutta on it and have been doing a lot of 100mile rides, and the 20% sag on this bike feels better to me.


    And BTW, ive got 2400 miles on this bike since I got it at Xmas, so im not just some random poster. Ive ridden everything from Ouachita Challenge to pre-riding Syllamo a few times. Meaning very technical to 14k Climbing at Choutta. I really like this bike.
    +1 on that zeeke , I weigh 220lb and running 175lb and it's great for my riding style !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  46. #196
    PHS
    PHS is offline
    Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    89
    What changes has anybody made to the scalpel 2 to shave weight?
    Last edited by PHS; 05-04-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: .

  47. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nathanbal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,381
    Pro's will use a hardtail almost every time unless they can prove the full suss is quicker. They are not like you, me or anyone (generally) on the forum... they are super light, incredibly powerful and have the skills of a downhill champ. Riding a hardtail on terrain were most FREDs would think a 6" trail bike is required, is nothing to them. Comparing what they use to your buying decision is DUMB.

  48. #198
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Pro's will use a hardtail almost every time unless they can prove the full suss is quicker. They are not like you, me or anyone (generally) on the forum... they are super light, incredibly powerful and have the skills of a downhill champ. Riding a hardtail on terrain were most FREDs would think a 6" trail bike is required, is nothing to them. Comparing what they use to your buying decision is DUMB.
    +1... Completely agree with that...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    38
    Yep, I was in race a couple weeks ago where the Pro Cat group were mostly hard tails.
    I was the the 50+ Cat 3 this time, ( a safe choice) which had a little bit of everything but mostly fs.
    The Scalpel is a screaming XC bike, that I am loving on the downhill as well as on the climb.
    Not plush like my Rise 1, but still way more control when going fast and rough on the down.

  50. #200
    "THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Reputation: torque29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    967
    Quote Originally Posted by Aminnow View Post
    Yep, I was in race a couple weeks ago where the Pro Cat group were mostly hard tails.
    I was the the 50+ Cat 3 this time, ( a safe choice) which had a little bit of everything but mostly fs.
    The Scalpel is a screaming XC bike, that I am loving on the downhill as well as on the climb.
    Not plush like my Rise 1, but still way more control when going fast and rough on the down.
    +1 on that ...Man, I luv my Scalpel too...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
  2. Anyone ride the 2011 scalpel yet?
    By guvna in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 01:46 AM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 07:02 PM
  4. From Scalpel to Rush. the first ride...
    By Anders in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
  5. 1st ride on my Scalpel..this season
    By subzero in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •