Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm riding fit the FOX , weight is 75kg, almost 200psi...
    It's hard, but otherwise the rear is moving to much when riding at high speed.
    Maybe I change the fox standard settings inside.

( ps: the Specialized partnr for the cable router : W93930021 )

Livin' the Dream
    Is there an online retailer for the 3 slot cable guide? LBS can't get it.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    google.com

Put in the partnr, you will see!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CameleonBike View Post
    I'm riding fit the FOX , weight is 75kg, almost 200psi...
    It's hard, but otherwise the rear is moving to much when riding at high speed.
    Maybe I change the fox standard settings inside.

( ps: the Specialized partnr for the cable router : W93930021 )
    Well odd that you asked this now. I was running about 10lbs under my weight and running around 25% sag in the monarch and thought I loved that. This weekend I was riding Syllamo and decided to try a bit more air to see how I liked it. I went with 5lbs over my weight, right at exactly 20% sag and I absolutely loved it. On the very technical rocks and climbs I thought it actually turned into an even better bike than it already was. Couldnt of been happier.

Ill try it on some normal trails and see how I like it there, but man it was a totally different bike with the extra air on that trail. Loved it.

mtbr member
    Ok ...have not heard from from anybody in a while about how its going on your cool new 29er Scalpels. Now that you got some more miles on them, anymore to add?..more pics? Should be 2-3 weeks and a #1 for me.....sure seeing a lot of posts about Lefty problems...what gives?
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I love mine so far. I'm trying to get an extended ride on it. Even though it is a single pivot it feels as efficient as my previous Tallboy. It turns sharply, climbs well and is decently stiff. I weigh 225 so I would not utilize it as a only trail bike, my definition of which is 4-5 days a week on east coast rocky/rooty trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Waiting on my scalpel 2.....hoping for this friday. I'll post pics and weight with upgrades once shes ready.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The scalpel 1 rides better than the sworks 29er I was on last year. Tracks better and seems to stick better on climbs. I must've gotten the pressures and rebound dialed from the get go. The Specialized had bb flex issues so much that I'd hit the crank arm on the chainstay.
    I put a set of enve w/ project 321 hubs, edge bar, and avid wc brakes on. Weighs in at 21.7lbs with old xtr pedals and garmin computer.
    It's a hot bike and don't foresee the issues that came with the first generation Specialized. No regrets about being "brain" free.
    Will post picts soon,
    Nort

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Ok ...have not heard from from anybody in a while about how its going on your cool new 29er Scalpels. Now that you got some more miles on them, anymore to add?..more pics? Should be 2-3 weeks and a #1 for me.....sure seeing a lot of posts about Lefty problems...what gives?
    I've just been riding my local hill which is a 1500 foot hump up to an 8,000 ft. summit in 4.3 miles. I'm already shaving 3-4 minutes off my best Jekyll 2000 ascents without breaking too bad a sweat, just base and pace. I have about 30 laps up on the bike so far. I'm 3 miuntes off my PB set a with a 20 LB Hardtail, but I'd done the Mt Evans Hill Climb a few weeks prior and was in tip top shape.

Regardless, this is a great XC climbing machine, light stiff precise, with enough dampening that if you stay on top of it, is all most of us will probably need. While I don't think this is a forgiving bike, it instills confidence and stability at higher speeds on descents as well, though it will probably sway me in the direction of keeping my old Jekyl 2000 around as a more AM oriented bike for when those occassion arise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have ridden my carbon 2 for 200 miles now. i come from a sworks epic 2008 (26er) and also a tomac flint (29er) i love te ride of the scalpel, fast but comfortable, great scharpness in steering tight corners (coming from a sid and reba) i customized the bike some and it is weighing 10.4 kg now (23 lbs, complete with pedals etc.), best swap are the wheels (ztr race gold) this makes the bike also fast handling.

at what sag are you guys riding this ? i am at 22% right now and experimenting towards 25% and will also try 20% for the rear and 25% in the front.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    2012 Scalpel 1...
    I've had my bike now for over two weeks. About 226mi on the seat already.
    This is the best performing bike I've had to date.
    Truly lives up to all the claims. First time I've owned a bike that exceeded my expectations.

Let me start by saying that before I owned this bike, I had very prejudiced opinions about the lefty shock. I never really accepted the claims made about the shock and I really didn't like the "unbalanced" look either. Man was I wrong...

The reason I mention this is because IMHO the lefty is so much better at doing what a front suspension is designed to do. The progressive compliance of the lefty is unmatched by any of the conventional forked bikes I've owned. As I ride through heavily rooted sections on the trail is where I really notice the difference. The lefty rolls over the same rooted section that the conventional forks bind on. The vertical stiffness of the sanction of the lefty front shock allows the suspension to actually compress and rebound without any negative repercussion towards the the forward momentum of the bike. It's actually something you have to experience to believe.

The frame of the bike is so stiff. You notice this through the downhill runs through loose gravel sections as the bike feels completely planted as opposed to the almost loose feeling I've experienced with my other short travel bikes I own. I think this is a culmination of the front suspension working in conjunction with the stiffness of the frame.

As to the rear suspension, the zero pivot of the lefty IMHO is perfectly matched to the personality of the bike. Do to the nature of the stiffness of the design. it actually feels very similar in feel to a hardtail. The rear suspension gives you such a precise linear feel through the curves and through tight twist sections. This is where you have the performance of a hardtail but with the compliance of a rear suspension. No wallow at all, very linear feel and the transfer of power of each pedal goes directly to the rear wheel rather than being partially absorbed hence wasted by the rear suspension.

As far as climbing is concerned, this IMHO is where this fs bike is KING.
    I've ridden a great class of fs bikes to date and none have climbed like this one. IMHO it's as close to a hardtail as they come. Lock out the front and you on your way to the top. It's AWESOME.

All I can say if you have the opportunity to try one out don't be prejudice towards the Lefty and try it out, you might end up like me and end up with a new bike while still owning a few perfectly good bikes.

As of today the bike is weighing in at 22lb. 11oz.

Post your light-weight bikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Scalpel 29er vs Rush Carbon

Hi,

Any Scalpel 29er rider out there who have also owned a Rush Carbon? Id like to know how they compare, will the Scalpel be a major upgrade?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowan View Post
    Hi,

Any Scalpel 29er rider out there who have also owned a Rush Carbon? Id like to know how they compare, will the Scalpel be a major upgrade?
    It's a major upgrade. It feels as flowy as the rush but climbs a shed load better. Great bike.
    Last edited by nathanbal; 04-05-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Livin' the Dream
    Hi,

A buddy of mine had a Rush and bought the Scalpel 2. He is beyond elated with the new bike.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm getting my Scalpel 1 29er in a couple weeks. i was wondering what is the stroke of the rear shock? How much sag in mm are you guys riding in the rear shock? Do you guys add more air inthe shock when racing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    need help deciding which bike to get...will be used to join a few xc races and will be my weekend warrior bike

local trails: roots and rocks...east coast

LBS prices:
    2012 Flash Carbon 2 - $4,400 , can get this for $3800(local seller)
    2012 Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4,800

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by bboytab View Post
    need help deciding which bike to get...will be used to join a few xc races and will be my weekend warrior bike

local trails: roots and rocks...east coast

LBS prices:
    2012 Flash Carbon 2 - $4,400 , can get this for $3800(local seller)
    2012 Scalpel Carbon 2 - $4,800
    Both are great bikes If price doesn't determine which bike to buy, put that out of the equation for this decision, if it does, you can't go wrong with the Flash .... Let me start off by saying that I'm bias torwards the Scalpel I ride a Scalpel and I find it to be the best combination of both worlds, between a hardtail and a fs. IMHO the Flash will beat you up a little more than the Scalpel, but if it's all out speed your after, the Flash may be the way to go. If it was only for racing, the hardtails are typically a little faster but that has a lot to do with the rider. On marathon rides, the Scalpel may prove to be a better choice as you body will be fresher.
    IMHO since your looking for two bikes in one, the Scalpel may be a better choice.
    Your fitness level and age will have something to do with this decision. If you young you can take more abuse, it's the Flash , but if your like me, you'll like the added benefit of the fs from the Scalpel . Try to ride both of them b4 you buy. I went through quite a few of bikes this year b4 I ended up with my Scalpel . Don't do that . I luv my Scalpel and its able to handle anything I through at her and more. There quite a few guys here who race both of the bikes, contact them to get a better opinion. Good luck on you expedition, either way your ahead of the game with any of the two bikes.

Rider of Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    very nice info....thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi,

Jowan,

I had a carbon Rize, and also an aluminum Rush.

Big upgrade from the Rush....The Scalpel climbs much better,
    and the downhill will blow your mind on the Scalpel.
    Fast , fast, and unbelievable control.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    I've had several rides now, with the longest being a 4.5 hour training ride. All my initial thoughts are the same. This is the perfect machine for endurance races, I never came off the Yeti feeling as "fresh" as I did after being in the saddle of the Scalpel for several hours. The bike is just so solid. I don't think I'll ever ride a non Lefty bike again. Also, It's a great climber which has been very surprising to me. I wish there was a second bottle cage, but the seat post mounted Spec adapter has fixed that. The 2x10 has plenty of "granny" gear; I wouldn't be surprised to see 3x10's disappear altogether in a few years. All in all, very pleased.

This really is as non scientific as one can get. You went from a 26 inch wheel to a 29 inch wheel and now correlate that to a "leftie" suspension choice.

Too many variables...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Both are great bikes If price doesn't determine which bike to buy, put that out of the equation for this decision, if it does, you can't go wrong with the Flash .... Let me start off by saying that I'm bias torwards the Scalpel I ride a Scalpel and I find it to be the best combination of both worlds, between a hardtail and a fs. IMHO the Flash will beat you up a little more than the Scalpel, but if it's all out speed your after, the Flash may be the way to go. If it was only for racing, the hardtails are typically a little faster but that has a lot to do with the rider. On marathon rides, the Scalpel may prove to be a better choice as you body will be fresher.
    IMHO since your looking for two bikes in one, the Scalpel may be a better choice.
    Your fitness level and age will have something to do with this decision. If you young you can take more abuse, it's the Flash , but if your like me, you'll like the added benefit of the fs from the Scalpel . Try to ride both of them b4 you buy. I went through quite a few of bikes this year b4 I ended up with my Scalpel . Don't do that . I luv my Scalpel and its able to handle anything I through at her and more. There quite a few guys here who race both of the bikes, contact them to get a better opinion. Good luck on you expedition, either way your ahead of the game with any of the two bikes.

From a lot of testing by the same riders many post faster times with FS bikes compared to hardtails. Feeling faster and being faster are two different things. Do your own research, and make up your own mind. Many tests I have seen show over the same loop people got faster on FS bikes over the hardtails.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    From a lot of testing by the same riders many post faster times with FS bikes compared to hardtails. Feeling faster and being faster are two different things. Do your own research, and make up your own mind. Many tests I have seen show over the same loop people got faster on FS bikes over the hardtails.
    The location where you ride and the distance that you ride is directly corrilated to that.

On smooth and flowing trails in a sprint race, no question, a pro rider will post in quicker time on a hardtail than on a FS but in an endurance race that same rider will post an overall faster time in a FS do to the additional physical abuse you put your body through.

On rough terrain, that same rider will be faster on both the sprint race and the endurance race on a FS because of the phisicality of the race and the abuse on your body.

There is an actual university study backing this up based on the amount of watts your body uses to maintain the same speed on a hardtail vs FS for short (sprints races) periods vs longer (endurance races) periods of time. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep I saw the study and read it. I also know for -some- people on even shorter races the less travel full suspension 29'ers posted better times than the hard tails.

New equipment entering the market since that test that is changing minds. Lighter and more efficient rear shocks and better geometry entering the scene.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was a full suspension(spesh Enduro) guy until 3 weeks ago when I got hooked on the hardtail 29er. I love it that all the pedal you do goes to the ground(no waste) and I am just hesitant with getting the Scalpel since its a FS. Does the Sclapel 2(Monarch)have a lockout? With the recent comments looks like it is an efficient climber too.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast