Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    What are the odds on Torque29er posting a reply without using a smiley face?
    2017 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup

2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon 2

2016 Cannondale Caad 12 Disc

Twin Six Standard Fat

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554 View Post
    Don't see his replies anymore due to ignored. He really offers little to the conversation most of the time and is just annoying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Pro's will use a hardtail almost every time unless they can prove the full suss is quicker. They are not like you, me or anyone (generally) on the forum... they are super light, incredibly powerful and have the skills of a downhill champ. Riding a hardtail on terrain were most FREDs would think a 6" trail bike is required, is nothing to them. Comparing what they use to your buying decision is DUMB.
    BTW you are preaching the virtues of hard tails to a long time Cannondale Flash 29er rider, that's certainly DUMB. I'll continue to ride it because the scalpel 29er is under whelming.

In addition it is a valid point, if it's designed as a top level race bike and the cannondale pros race it then you'd have to wonder why. If you're so informed, please tell us why that is.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    NEVER
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    Don't see his replies anymore due to ignored. He really offers little to the conversation most of the time and is just annoying.
    By that act, it's obvious your not PARANOID...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    I'll spell it out for you:

Q: Do any cannondale pros race the Scalpel 29er?

Possible answers: All, some, none, only for certain races etc etc

Point of the question: If no pros race the bike then what does this say about the bike? Simple.
    This is not my opinion but from a Magazine:

Chosen as 1 of 12 "Mountain bikes of the Year" (for you GT554) by the editors of

"MOUNTAIN BIKE MAGAZINE"

Cannondale Scalpel 29

If its claimed 4.2-pound frame weight (size large, with shock) can be believed, Cannondale’s Scalpel 29 could become the XC race bike of choice next year. The bike pictured here weighs just 21.4 pounds and Cannondale claims bikes can easily be built to weigh even less

For the full article:
    Cannondale Scalpel 29 Trail Bike | Bicycling Magazine

I guess well just have to wait till next year to see if it gets raced by the pro's, as they say in their write up.

Just another opinion, not mine, from people who probably test many more bikes than most of the posters on any of these threads.

Not my opinion like I said, I just agree with their assumption.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    BTW you are preaching the virtues of hard tails to a long time Cannondale Flash 29er rider, that's certainly DUMB. I'll continue to ride it because the scalpel 29er is under whelming.

In addition it is a valid point, if it's designed as a top level race bike and the cannondale pros race it then you'd have to wonder why. If you're so informed, please tell us why that is.
    how many pro riders used the 26" Scalpel vs. the 26" Flash prior to the 29er movement in the pro ranks?

i own a carbon flash 29er and a carbon scalpel 29er so i get the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    how many pro riders used the 26" Scalpel vs. the 26" Flash prior to the 29er movement in the pro ranks?

i own a carbon flash 29er and a carbon scalpel 29er so i get the best of both worlds.
    Same ive got both a carbon flash 2012 and a scalpel 2012. They are both awesome and both have their place. Get them both

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Where do you use the scalpel over the flash?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Where do you use the scalpel over the flash?
    For me anything rooty,rocky. If its a rough course full suspension all the way. Granted, to be honest I ride the scalpel most of the time

I should or rode the Flash at Cohutta 100 last week but went with the Scalpel. It would have been a better race on the Flash though. Tons of climbing and not very rough single track.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Sounds like you guys are having fun racing your Scalpels. Got a Scalpel1 and not racing on it. Just not the bike for me. Thinking of selling it...pm if your are considering getting a #1 ..size medium.....
    Last edited by dancruz; 05-05-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Sounds like you guys are having fun racing your Scalpels. Got a Scalpel1 and not racing on it. Just not the bike for me. Thinking of selling it...pm if your are considering getting a #1 ..size medium.....
    I am new to the forum and can't PM.
    I am interested if you could pm me.
    I am in Firestone.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Don't post on here often but like to check in on my Cannonale Brothers from time to time. I've got a couple of responses to some questions and statements that may be helpfull.
    1. If your Lefty feels too firm with the recommended air pressure, take it back to the shop ASAP. We found a couple that needed the lock-out adjusted and a couple that needed the oil level adjusted. Not sure if they added or removed oil. Bottom line is that nobody should be underwhelmed with the performance.
    2. I've got a Scalpel 29r 1 and a Flash 29r Ultimate. The Flash is great for Fire roads or smoother trails but I find myself riding the Scalpel on any ride longer than 2 hours and I feel much fresher after.
    3. Weight of my Lrg. Scalpel is 22.5lbs with XTR pedals, Hand-built Stans/AC wheelset and a real set of tires (Crossmarks). The Racing Ralphs do not hold up to Arkansas' terrain. In fact we started calling them Ripping Ralphs. Got a pile of them in the backroom of the shop. Many of them were pulled even before delivery to customer because of the historically poor durability around here.
    4. Weight of my Lrg. Flash Ultimate is 19.5. Again, with Crosmarks and EB 11's.
    5. Both bikes could loose a bit of weight, especially the Scalpel, but they both have their merits. The Scalpel is a much better all-around bike that incidentlly was riden to 1st place overall at one of our Marathon series races back in April. Guy who won is a regional privateer pro from Texas. He had the ENVE's on it but it looked basically stock.
    6. Most sponsored Pros are pretty late adopters of new technology. In fact, I Spent a few days with Tinker Juarez a couple of Months back and he didn't seem too interested in the Scalpel 29r. He won a local 6 hour race on a pretty beat-up Flash 29r left over from the 2011 season. He proves the point that it really is about the rider for the most part.
    Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's awesome feedback about the scalpel29er. I've just bought a new scalpel29er 1.

Apart from enves what else do you think could be done to reduce weight?

Do enve bars and stem stack up in the weight stakes or are there lighter?

Are there lighter tyres than RRs?

mtbr member
    if you get the scalpel 1 and:
    - swap the wheelset out for Enve or Stans Race 29er Gold
    - swap out the front rotor for a 160mm
    - change the handlebar and grips to lighter alternatives
    - change the cassette out to an X0 or XX
    - change the seatpost and saddle out to lighter alternatives

You'll have sub-10kg.

mtbr member
    if you get the scalpel 1 and:
    - swap the wheelset out for Enve or Stans Race 29er Gold
    - swap out the front rotor for a 160mm
    - change the handlebar and grips to lighter alternatives
    - change the cassette out to an X0 or XX
    - change the seatpost and saddle out to lighter alternatives

You'll have sub-10kg.
    HA.. I actually have a carbon 1. see me changes below...

1. Race Gold wheels
    2. Swapped the brakes for XX with a 160 rotor in the front
    3. Swapped the bar for a Truvativ T40 riser with ESI grips
    4. Running a XX cassette.
    5. Thomson Masterpiece seatpost with WTB rocket-v seat. (ok, the seat isn't any lighter. it's actually heavier. it's a preference thing).

With a Maxxis Ikon on the front and a Bontrager 29-0(doesn't really qualify as a legit tire) on the rear, it weighs 20.25 lbs (9.20Kg). That's with a carbon bottle cage and no pedals.

I don't normally run the wheels. they're more of a race set-up. Even with the stock wheelset and some more substantial tires, the new scalpel kicks ass. I borrowed a spark 29r RC for a few weeks before a bought the Scalpel. I'm very happy that i went this way. The new Scalpel is what the Spark should have been.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My rocket v is lighter than the stock tundra 2..

The biggest upgrade I did and its an omg upgrade, was switch to XTR Race brakes. Everytime I ride the bike I smile at how awesome the brakes are. They are more amazing than words can describe. Wont ever ride a bike without them at this point.

I rode all your arkansas races, spa city, OC, and Syllamo 125 in 2 weeks... I use the Racing Ralphs snake skin and ive not had one single problem. They are 620g each. Not a single tear, nobby cut etc. You must of been using the old compounds. I love them to be honest. Ikons are cool but im really digging the RRs. The 2012 are totally different tires than the old ones.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Any news about the 2013 Scalpel 29er?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post

The biggest upgrade I did and its an omg upgrade, was switch to XTR Race brakes. Everytime I ride the bike I smile at how awesome the brakes are. They are more amazing than words can describe. Wont ever ride a bike without them at this point.

I rode all your arkansas races, spa city, OC, and Syllamo 125 in 2 weeks... I use the Racing Ralphs snake skin and ive not had one single problem. They are 620g each. Not a single tear, nobby cut etc. You must of been using the old compounds. I love them to be honest. Ikons are cool but im really digging the RRs. The 2012 are totally different tires than the old ones.
    +1 on the XTR Brakes, there're AWESOME !!! as far as the Racing Ralphs are concerned, I luv them too but I havn't had the pleasure of riding in AK.. only in Florida, but they do ROCK !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    How do xtrs stack up weight wise?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    How do xtrs stack up weight wise?
    This is one area where performance rules IMHO over weight. Plus the weight of the XTR Race is 210gr vs XX World Cup is 213gr.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is the consensus for a replacement wheel to the stock ENVE wheels on the S29C1?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    This is one area where performance rules IMHO over weight. Plus the weight of the XTR Race is 210gr vs XX World Cup is 213gr.
    i spent some time with the XTRs recently, and i've used formula brakes (the one, k24, and most recently the R1s). i just weighed my R1s, and they came in at 165g for the front & 177 for the rear (lever, hose, caliper -- no rotors). the formula rotors are also quite a bit lighter than ice tech rotors.

personally, i thought the XTRs were good and i really wanted to love a brake that did not use DOT fluid...but the R1s are at least the equal of the XTRs in performance (i like the feel better), AND they are lighter.

i *think* the ice tech rotor weights are around 125 vs ~95 for the formula rotors, so it's around 150g lighter for a formula setup. that's pretty significant when you consider levers/hose/caliper/rotors come in at around 550g.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nmp27 View Post
    What is the consensus for a replacement wheel to the stock ENVE wheels on the S29C1?
    is the consensus that the S29C1 does not come with stock enve wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    is the consensus that the S29C1 does not come with stock enve wheels?
    Just looking for a lighter wheel...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just looking for a lighter wheel...
    i understand, but you wrote that you wanted to replace the "stock enve wheels" on the C1. the enve wheels are not stock on the C1. thus, you can replace the stock C1 wheels with the enve wheels and accomplish your goals.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    i spent some time with the XTRs recently, and i've used formula brakes (the one, k24, and most recently the R1s). i just weighed my R1s, and they came in at 165g for the front & 177 for the rear (lever, hose, caliper -- no rotors). the formula rotors are also quite a bit lighter than ice tech rotors.

personally, i thought the XTRs were good and i really wanted to love a brake that did not use DOT fluid...but the R1s are at least the equal of the XTRs in performance (i like the feel better), AND they are lighter.

i *think* the ice tech rotor weights are around 125 vs ~95 for the formula rotors, so it's around 150g lighter for a formula setup. that's pretty significant when you consider levers/hose/caliper/rotors come in at around 550g.
    I have the Formula R1 on my Epic EVO and the do work very well. I really haven't put to many hours on them yet to make a valid judgement... My Scalpel seems to be steeling all my riding hours
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    the question is not a question of posting a reply without a smiley but rather how many smileys will he/she use!
    It all depends on my $hit eating grin from riding the scalpel...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    the question is not a question of posting a reply without a smiley but rather how many smileys will he/she use!
    And BTW, have you looked at my avatar.. you'd be smiling all the time if you were looking at those too, nothing like real Mountainous Biking
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i understand, but you wrote that you wanted to replace the "stock enve wheels" on the C1. the enve wheels are not stock on the C1. thus, you can replace the stock C1 wheels with the enve wheels and accomplish your goals.
    My Bad.....
    I had my bikes confused this morning when I wrote that
    So the ENVE is a lighter combination, but still strong?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    And BTW, have you looked at my avatar.. you'd be smiling all the time if you were looking at those too, nothing like real Mountainous Biking
    i'm older than 12, for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My Bad.....
    I had my bikes confused this morning when I wrote that
    So the ENVE is a lighter combination, but still strong?
    the enve wheels spec'ed on the ultimate are lighter than the wheels spec'ed on the 1.

are they strong? there's no weight limit, and reports are quite solid. i don't have enough time on mine to credibly say one way or the other, but i have no worries about them.

a couple considerations:
    * the enve XC wheel set (spec'ed) is a little narrower at the rim vs their AM wheel set. may not be an issue for you.
    * the XC wheel set is a little lighter than the AM. you decide if that is important.
    * the stock enve wheel set is 32 spoke front and rear. enve seems to use 28 spokes as their default build. you can decide whether you want 32 or 28.

just some things to consider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Pro's will use a hardtail almost every time unless they can prove the full suss is quicker. They are not like you, me or anyone (generally) on the forum... they are super light, incredibly powerful and have the skills of a downhill champ. Riding a hardtail on terrain were most FREDs would think a 6" trail bike is required, is nothing to them. Comparing what they use to your buying decision is DUMB.
    I'm going to basically 2nd this opinion. I've been racing bikes for 20+ years, mainly MTB races for the last 10. Got caught up in the hype of a light 29er HT and got a Flash 2 (coming from a 26" blur). I would say that bike is absolutely faster than a FS bike if and this is the key IF you are willing to unweight the seat for every tree root, pump every dip and attack every short hill out of the saddle (basically ride like a pro). I've been moving to longer races as I get older and there is no way I can ride like that for 3+ hours and after riding the flash for 3 weeks I quickly realized for my riding style it is not for me.

The shop I brought the bike from gave me credit the Flash to trade up to Scalpel 2 and I absolutely love it. Feels just as fast as my Blur uphill and on the flats but just crushes it downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Big favor requested...

I've just bought a scalpel 1 29er but it's in a warehouse in California. I'm having it prepared to send back to me in Australia.

The rear wheel was attached to the bike but needs to be removed prior to shipping as frame and wheels are being shipped separate.

I've not had any experience with the new type of rear axle on the 2012 scalpel.

Can one of you guys post the tools needed and possible method to remove the rear wheel? Do I need an Allen key? What size ?

Is it like the old lever style quick releases?

Any pics of how to remove would be very helpful Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1336425616.440381.jpg

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    i'm older than 12, for what it's worth.
    I'll make sure not to put smileys on any replies to you in the future as to not distract you from the topic at hand...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Big favor requested...

Can one of you guys post the tools needed and possible method to remove the rear wheel? Do I need an Allen key? What size ?

Is it like the old lever style quick releases?
    You just need a size 5 Allen wrench, nothing else. Takes 2 seconds to take it off/put it on. Its just a thru bolt, simple and strong.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"

Are yours R1's the racing version (titanium) or the regular R1? The one's on my Epic are the regular R1. Just curious to know so I know what the weight of the ones on my Epic are.

BTW...I still haven't received the FSA bar yet to post the weight...crazy
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You just need a size 5 Allen wrench, nothing else. Takes 2 seconds to take it off/put it on. Its just a thru bolt, simple and strong.
    Thanks Zeeke

legend!!!

Can you explain in words how the new type of axle system works? which side do you place the allen wrench in? How much do you turn it?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Zeeke

legend!!!

Can you explain in words how the new type of axle system works? which side do you place the allen wrench in? How much do you turn it?
    Axle goes in on left side of the bike, its just like a normal bolt. Its got 5mm or so of threads on it. Takes about 4-5 full turns id guess. Very very straight forward. Ill take a pic tomorrow if you really want.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Yep! The XTR Brakes are awesome. If I do any other upgrades that'll be first on my list.

The problems we've been having are in-fact with the stock RR's. At this point, nobody around here is willing to take a chance on an MTB Tire from Schwalbe. Kinda sad that a spec like this can kill a whole brand's cred.

Awesome! I'll be at the 125 as well. Did it last year and it took me 9 hours (Flash Carbon 29r). Maybe I'll be a bit faster this year and hopefully no rain. See you there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For those that are considering getting a 29er for their wife / girlfriend, this is the perfect bike. My wife just replaced her Blur with a Scalpel 29er 2 and she loves it so much. After 1 ride, she feels like a better rider. size sml with Candy 3, tubeless, 24.8 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I might even surprise her one day with some news wheels. I would rather shop for bike parts than jewelry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterP View Post
    Yep! The XTR Brakes are awesome. If I do any other upgrades that'll be first on my list.

The problems we've been having are in-fact with the stock RR's. At this point, nobody around here is willing to take a chance on an MTB Tire from Schwalbe. Kinda sad that a spec like this can kill a whole brand's cred.

Awesome! I'll be at the 125 as well. Did it last year and it took me 9 hours (Flash Carbon 29r). Maybe I'll be a bit faster this year and hopefully no rain. See you there!
    Hey skeeter take your points on the xtr brakes. Are they just more robust or better feeling than the other brakes that are marketed for their weight? What makes them better?

I kinda have moved away from shimano gear. What xtr like brakes are out there?

In dirt bikes it's common to mix master cyclinders to lines and calipers.

Can you do that in the mtb world or are most systems proprietary ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009

almost done

almost done with my build.

i got my front wheel to seal (enve 29er xc + 2.25 rocket ron), but i spent 1h trying, unsuccessfully, to get the rear wheel (enve + 2.25 racing ralph SS) to seal w/ stan's. i'm going to try again tomorrow.

nevertheless, i weighed everything, albeit after i'd cleaned off the tire to prepare for my 2nd attempt (i.e., no stan's). came to 9.75kg (21.5 pounds).

that is with EVERYTHING (minus about 80g of stan's that i'll put in the rear tire when i do get it to seal), ready to ride (including an SRM power meter).

i might change a few things, like lighter bars (currently have enve sweeps on there), grips, rotors, and i might try to find a lighter 2.25 ralph SS (lots of variation with schwalbe tires i find). my ralph came to 660g vs the stated 600g. normally, they are a *bit* heavier...but 60g surprised me. the rocket ron was 540 vs 520 stated.

i'll also be putting power cordz on there (they're light, but i also like them), adding a few more ti bolts, and i have a blacx jewel dropper post ready to go. that will add a pound.

i'd love to hit 21.99 pounds WITH the dropper post, but i don't think i'll make that. 20.99 would be very close without the dropper, but i suspect i'll be just over it.

i'm open to ideas for dropping weight, but i also want this to be reasonably durable. i haven't gone ultra weight-weenie anywhere on this one.

i'm still blown away that the bike will be around 22 with the dropper & power meter. my prior bike was 26+...with straight post and no power meter. i notice the reduced weight when swinging the bike around in the garage to hang it from the ceiling. i'm pretty sure i'll notice it going uphill...at least i hope so!

mtbr member
    May 2006

i got my front wheel to seal (enve 29er xc + 2.25 rocket ron), but i spent 1h trying, unsuccessfully, to get the rear wheel (enve + 2.25 racing ralph SS) to seal w/ stan's. i'm going to try again tomorrow.
    I know why it wont seal. It did it on both my scalpel and my flash. Took me forever and really pissed to spot it on the scalpel. Check the yellow tape... On both bikes they did a horrible job of the yellow tape and it was allowing one spoke to leak down into the wheel, and never able to seal.

Both bikes I had to get some new tape and just redo their crappy factory job.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I know why it wont seal. It did it on both my scalpel and my flash. Took me forever and really pissed to spot it on the scalpel. Check the yellow tape... On both bikes they did a horrible job of the yellow tape and it was allowing one spoke to leak down into the wheel, and never able to seal.

Both bikes I had to get some new tape and just redo their crappy factory job.
    yellow tape?

my enve wheels do not have yellow tape. i had to pull the enve rim tape, then use gorilla tape. are you using these rims?

it wasn't leaking at the spokes--i think it was that the bead of the tire was not hooking under the rim. i'll try again today.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    yellow tape?

my enve wheels do not have yellow tape. i had to pull the enve rim tape, then use gorilla tape. are you using these rims?

it wasn't leaking at the spokes--i think it was that the bead of the tire was not hooking under the rim. i'll try again today.
    Post some pics after your done !!!

"Zeke"...might be referring to the stock wheels that came on the bike. I had the similar problem with the factory mounted tape... There's a thread about this with the "Tricon" wheels going tubeless with the Racing Ralph tires.

New DT Swiss Tricon with Schwalbe Racing Ralph = defect
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yellow tape?

I had similar issue installing the front Rocket Ron onto the Enve, not the Ralphs. Even an air compressor didn't do the trick. My final solution = a CO2 cartridge, make sure you release the valve fast enough to seal up the bead quick. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    I had similar issue installing the front Rocket Ron onto the Enve, not the Ralphs. Even an air compressor didn't do the trick. My final solution = a CO2 cartridge, make sure you release the valve fast enough to seal up the bead quick. Hope this helps.
    thanks. the rocket ron (front) sealed, with some trouble. no luck on the ralph (SS version). tried another tire today, tried the compressor & floor pump. warmed the tire. no go.

co2 did not work.

i've got a tube in there now and can hear the bead snap into place when it reaches 35-40 psi. i'm going to let it sit for 24-48h light that, see if that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks Zeeke

legend!!!

look up syntace x-12.

for anyone looking at it, it should be various obvious.

5mm hex on the NDS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Are yours R1's the racing version (titanium) or the regular R1? The one's on my Epic are the regular R1. Just curious to know so I know what the weight of the ones on my Epic are.

BTW...I still haven't received the FSA bar yet to post the weight...crazy
    mine are 2010s or 2011s, but i put the carbon levers on there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey skeeter take your points on the xtr brakes. Are they just more robust or better feeling than the other brakes that are marketed for their weight? What makes them better?

I kinda have moved away from shimano gear. What xtr like brakes are out there?

In dirt bikes it's common to mix master cyclinders to lines and calipers.

Can you do that in the mtb world or are most systems proprietary ?

Thanks
    The XTR's seem to be more robust in that they require little or no maintenance from our experience. They are as light as anything out there, and they feel wonderful in your hand. The quality of modulation is fantastic. Compared to anything from SRAM, the XTR's are very easy to apply just the right amount of braking force for the situation. With the SRAM stuff, I sometimes find myself accidentally applying too much pressure and then having to back off especially in very choppy terrain. They almost feel like an on-off switch. Not bad, just not as good.

Most MTB Systems are not compatible with each other so find what you like and hang on to it. The XT's are very nice as well and less expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

i've got a tube in there now and can hear the bead snap into place when it reaches 35-40 psi. I'm going to let it sit for 24-48h light that, see if that helps.

this is the key to sealing any tire that you can't get to seal. Put a tube in and pop the bead in place. This also widens the natural shape of the tire too. Deflate the tube and unsnap one side of the tire and remove the tube. Soap the bead and pump it up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterP View Post
    The XTR's seem to be more robust in that they require little or no maintenance from our experience. They are as light as anything out there, and they feel wonderful in your hand. The quality of modulation is fantastic. Compared to anything from SRAM, the XTR's are very easy to apply just the right amount of braking force for the situation. With the SRAM stuff, I sometimes find myself accidentally applying too much pressure and then having to back off especially in very choppy terrain. They almost feel like an on-off switch. Not bad, just not as good.

Most MTB Systems are not compatible with each other so find what you like and hang on to it. The XT's are very nice as well and less expensive.
    So why does cdale not fit Shimano stock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well my scalpel 29er arrived from the US this morning.

Can I ask the group before I ride it, if there is any pre set up I should do?

The people who packed it had greasy hands - what's the best solution to cleaning the beautiful frame?

Ie the cable locations look like an after thought !!! How can I protect the frame better from damn cable rub?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    this is the key to sealing any tire that you can't get to seal. Put a tube in and pop the bead in place. This also widens the natural shape of the tire too. Deflate the tube and unsnap one side of the tire and remove the tube. Soap the bead and pump it up!
    Very good tip. It goes up so much easier with 1 side already sealed like that.

KTV
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi

I really like my Scalpel 2, best bike i ewer had, however mine is right now at the lbs with a cracked frame
    The frame is cracked just above the bottom bracket, between the 2 bearings holding the rear swing arm in place.
    The bike been at the lbs over a week now, and still no answer from Cannondale about a replacement frame..
    I am going out of the country i about a month on a bike trip, so i am hoping and praying that the a replacement frame will show up before that!
    And to make matters worse, i know 4 people i my area that all rides on 29 Scalpels, and including mine 2 other frames i cracked, 1 in the same place as mine and 1 at the top tube...

Regards from Denmark
    Klaus

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KTV View Post
    Hi

I really like my Scalpel 2, best bike i ewer had, however mine is right now at the lbs with a cracked frame
    The frame is cracked just above the bottom bracket, between the 2 bearings holding the rear swing arm in place.
    The bike been at the lbs over a week now, and still no answer from Cannondale about a replacement frame..
    I am going out of the country i about a month on a bike trip, so i am hoping and praying that the a replacement frame will show up before that!
    And to make matters worse, i know 4 people i my area that all rides on 29 Scalpels, and including mine 2 other frames i cracked, 1 in the same place as mine and 1 at the top tube...

Regards from Denmark
    Klaus
    What models?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KTV View Post
    Hi

Regards from Denmark
    Klaus

Pictures, I wanna see pictures. Ive ridden mine a lot, on a lot of rocky stuff. So far no cracks and not even heard of one cracking. I am going to go over it with a fine comb in a minute just to make sure, but lets see some pictures of the cracks.

And what were you doing when you cracked it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I own a Niner RIP9 with a 140mm Reba and a GF Superfly with a Lety fork on it.
    My new Scalpel carbon 2 is like if I had left my muscled RIP, daddy, with the svelte Superfly, mummy, having a kid, the Scalpel carbon.
    Not as long legged as dad but stiff as mum. Descents flawless as long it doesn't get too rough (and living in the Swiss Alps it can get really rough here) and climbs as a rocket, the suspension makes your life easier and my body thanks it after long rides.
    My RIP feels really flexy now and my Superfly too rude for when the things get serious.
    I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So why does cdale not fit Shimano stock?
    It boils down to how much componentry they need and how much a given company will sell it for. Cannondale does spec some Shimano, but consensus is that the SRAM stuff comes at a better price for equivalent components. They gotta make a buck...

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    mine are 2010s or 2011s, but i put the carbon levers on there.
    Bar finally came in...
    FSA 670mm Bar 130gr. on Scale.
    I guess it's from 130gr-139gr.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-069.jpg  

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Livin' the Dream
    It's been 6 months since I got the Scalpel so I thought I would do a follow up. Since then I have done a few 6-hour races and the Ouachita Challenge, a 60-mile race in Arkansas. After having been on the bike on long training rides and 6+ hour races, I am even more convinced by this bike’s capabilities. The OC in particular was a completely different race for me this year and I attribute it solely to this bike. I had raced the past 3 years on the Yeti ASR-C and for those of you who are not familiar with the course, the OC can be a beat down. The first section of the course is loaded with rock gardens, with a few hike a bike sections. It is a hiking trail first and a mtb trail second. There are some long sustained climbs through these rock gardens as well as several fire road and paved road sections. The continual theme for me was the ease at going through rough terrain. There is noticeably less feedback jostling you fore and aft while you’re negotiating rough terrain. Also, the climbing on this bike is much more efficient than the Yeti. I remember thinking “wow” this is really different at one point. It was at the end of the first section of singletrack where you hit a fire road. It just felt like the bike would not quit accelerating as I pulled out on to the road. It was kind of like the difference between driving a CJ5 and brand new Jeep. Both capable, just one does not beat you up. At the end of the race I was not nearly fatigued as in previous years. Another footnote, I finished 25 minutes faster than my previous best. I thought this was significant because 6 weeks out I hit the deck on my road bike and bruised my tailbone. I could not ride with any power at all until 2 weeks out from the race. I expected to be slower due to the loss of fitness. Looking at my splits from previous years, I did not ride much faster until 40 miles in. It was the last 20 miles where I made up my time. This aligns with my initial thought; this bike will keep you feeling fresh longer. It is the ideal endurance bike for me.
    I have decided it is not as good at downhill sections as the Yeti was. The rear suspension is not as active and makes for a rougher ride. The trade off was made for climbing I suppose. Since climbs are where you make up the most time, that’s okay by me. Setting proper sag on the Lefty is a pita. Once it is done though you’re good to go. Also, I upgraded to the XX world cup brakes, a mistake in my mind. I should have gone with either the regular XX brakes or maybe even Formulas or XTR. The XXWC took a while to get dialed in. Oh well, what’s done is done.
    The biggest problem for me though was the wheels. The Tricons blew a tire off when I was converting them to tubeless. It scared the piss out of me and I felt like a real idiot. I double-checked the max pressure I inflated them to and was around 45 psi. In the past with Crossmarks I had to inflate them to above 50psi to seat the bead, I guess not the case with the RR’s. In the process though it bent the front rim beyond repair. It seemed very odd to me that you could damage a rim like this and I lost some confidence in the wheels. I have since learned I was not alone in blowing the tire off the rim at low pressure. I still feel like a dip$hit though. Since there was such a long wait to get the new rim, I decided to make what I consider was the best upgrade; Enve wheelset.

I chose the Enve wheels for their reputation of durability more than the weight savings. They are exceedingly stiff and make an already light bike, noticeably lighter. They excel in climbs and spin up quickly, two characteristics that certainly did not go unnoticed during the OC. The Project 321 hubs look good, but I really would have been just as happy with the DT option (they just would have taken an extra 3 weeks). The 321 hubs have quick engagement and seem to be pretty solid so far. I have also changed out the bar to an Enve as well, just because I got a good deal on it with the wheels. There is no noticeable performance benefit; I just thought it looked cool. I also found a triple cable guide made by a company called Ragley. It allows you to run all 3 cables underneath the down tube. It was not really necessary but it looks much better and means there are fewer places for cables to rub the frame. Rounding out the changes is a Specialized bottle cage holder that mounts on the seat tube and a set of Ergon grips. I think I am done on any more upgrades, plus my wife will cut my nutz off if I put another dollar into it.
    All in all, phenomenal bike, the best I have ridden.

BTW, prior to converting to tubeless I had a rear flat tire in my first race. I changed it with a mini tool no problem. Not as quick a "quick release" but fast enough. Now that I'm tubeless I doubt if I'll ever have to remove the rear wheel in a race again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-img_2091.jpg  

Scalpel 29 Ride Report-img_2092.jpg  

DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    It's been 6 months since I got the Scalpel so I thought I would do a follow up. Since then I have done a few 6-hour races and the Ouachita Challenge, a 60-mile race in Arkansas. After having been on the bike on long training rides and 6+ hour races, I am even more convinced by this bike’s capabilities. The OC in particular was a completely different race for me this year and I attribute it solely to this bike. I had raced the past 3 years on the Yeti ASR-C and for those of you who are not familiar with the course, the OC can be a beat down. The first section of the course is loaded with rock gardens, with a few hike a bike sections. It is a hiking trail first and a mtb trail second. There are some long sustained climbs through these rock gardens as well as several fire road and paved road sections. The continual theme for me was the ease at going through rough terrain. There is noticeably less feedback jostling you fore and aft while you’re negotiating rough terrain. Also, the climbing on this bike is much more efficient than the Yeti. I remember thinking “wow” this is really different at one point. It was at the end of the first section of singletrack where you hit a fire road. It just felt like the bike would not quit accelerating as I pulled out on to the road. It was kind of like the difference between driving a CJ5 and brand new Jeep. Both capable, just one does not beat you up. At the end of the race I was not nearly fatigued as in previous years. Another footnote, I finished 25 minutes faster than my previous best. I thought this was significant because 6 weeks out I hit the deck on my road bike and bruised my tailbone. I could not ride with any power at all until 2 weeks out from the race. I expected to be slower due to the loss of fitness. Looking at my splits from previous years, I did not ride much faster until 40 miles in. It was the last 20 miles where I made up my time. This aligns with my initial thought; this bike will keep you feeling fresh longer. It is the ideal endurance bike for me.
    I have decided it is not as good at downhill sections as the Yeti was. The rear suspension is not as active and makes for a rougher ride. The trade off was made for climbing I suppose. Since climbs are where you make up the most time, that’s okay by me. Setting proper sag on the Lefty is a pita. Once it is done though you’re good to go. Also, I upgraded to the XX world cup brakes, a mistake in my mind. I should have gone with either the regular XX brakes or maybe even Formulas or XTR. The XXWC took a while to get dialed in. Oh well, what’s done is done.
    The biggest problem for me though was the wheels. The Tricons blew a tire off when I was converting them to tubeless. It scared the piss out of me and I felt like a real idiot. I double-checked the max pressure I inflated them to and was around 45 psi. In the past with Crossmarks I had to inflate them to above 50psi to seat the bead, I guess not the case with the RR’s. In the process though it bent the front rim beyond repair. It seemed very odd to me that you could damage a rim like this and I lost some confidence in the wheels. I have since learned I was not alone in blowing the tire off the rim at low pressure. I still feel like a dip$hit though. Since there was such a long wait to get the new rim, I decided to make what I consider was the best upgrade; Enve wheelset.

I chose the Enve wheels for their reputation of durability more than the weight savings. They are exceedingly stiff and make an already light bike, noticeably lighter. They excel in climbs and spin up quickly, two characteristics that certainly did not go unnoticed during the OC. The Project 321 hubs look good, but I really would have been just as happy with the DT option (they just would have taken an extra 3 weeks). The 321 hubs have quick engagement and seem to be pretty solid so far. I have also changed out the bar to an Enve as well, just because I got a good deal on it with the wheels. There is no noticeable performance benefit; I just thought it looked cool. I also found a triple cable guide made by a company called Ragley. It allows you to run all 3 cables underneath the down tube. It was not really necessary but it looks much better and means there are fewer places for cables to rub the frame. Rounding out the changes is a Specialized bottle cage holder that mounts on the seat tube and a set of Ergon grips. I think I am done on any more upgrades, plus my wife will cut my nutz off if I put another dollar into it.

BTW, prior to converting to tubeless I had a rear flat tire in my first race. I changed it with a mini tool no problem. Not as quick a "quick release" but fast enough. Now that I'm tubeless I doubt if I'll ever have to remove the rear wheel in a race again.
    Awesome, thanks for the update ,

Just curious... What did the weight come in at after the changes you've made so far?
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Great report - I have just purchased my 29er1.

How narrow can you run the handlebars on this bike as the stock bars are soooo wide.

I'll do an enve upgrade like yours I think.

Are the stock brakes bad?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What type of seatpost bottle attachment is that?

Livin' the Dream
    torque29er - I took the bottles out of the cages and weighed as pictured above, 23.3 lbs with all the bottle mounts, GPS etc. I'm bummed you didn't post any emoticons in your question. . .

scalpel2007 - I took 1/2" off the bar, I thought they felt very wide as well. The stock brakes are not bad, I just thought the XO spec did not really match the rest of the bike. Since I had a chance to get trade in price for them I upgraded to the XXWC. If I had it to do over, I would have chosen XX or XTR.

stamd1 - It is a cage mount made by Specialized. You can find is on their website. I am not a fan of the camelback and I found this solution works well for me. Notice however the velcro strap around the bottle. Were it not for that additional tension, the bottle will be ejected. Ask me how I know.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337491567.035575.jpgScalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337491615.242681.jpg

Just had my first ride on new scalpel 29er1.

Man it's light!!!

Brakes are so so. Not much feedback and kinda bland. Is that the consensus of the XOs generally?

Need help on bottle cage locations?

Also the bars are a joke!! Far too wide. How much do you guys lop off each side ?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    torque29er - I took the bottles out of the cages and weighed as pictured above, 23.3 lbs with all the bottle mounts, GPS etc. I'm bummed you didn't post any emoticons in your question. . .

scalpel2007 - I took 1/2" off the bar, I thought they felt very wide as well. The stock brakes are not bad, I just thought the XO spec did not really match the rest of the bike. Since I had a chance to get trade in price for them I upgraded to the XXWC. If I had it to do over, I would have chosen XX or XTR.

stamd1 - It is a cage mount made by Specialized. You can find is on their website. I am not a fan of the camelback and I found this solution works well for me. Notice however the velcro strap around the bottle. Were it not for that additional tension, the bottle will be ejected. Ask me how I know.
    Sorry about that...
    Thanks for your reply...
    Really, thanks for your reports and replies...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337491567.035575.jpg 
Views:	894 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	697950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337491615.242681.jpg 
Views:	3817 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	697952

Just had my first ride on new scalpel 29er1.

Man it's light!!!

Brakes are so so. Not much feedback and kinda bland. Is that the consensus of the XOs generally?

Need help on bottle cage locations?

Also the bars are a joke!! Far too wide. How much do you guys lop off each side ?
    Congats on your bike !!!
    I switched out the brakes in favor of XTR's... Too bad they don't come stock with that setup...

I use a side exit cage...

I switched out my bar (FSA 670mm) but by providing a wider you you can trim to suit your riding style without having to change out the bar if you don't want to...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Does your front wheel rub any of the cables when you hit the top end of the travel? I ran mine between the headtube and fork to avoid rub and with tire and steerer tube nut.
    Nice bike.

KTV
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi

sorry i don't have any pictures of the crack in the frame, just took it straight to the lbs, i know they have sent pictures to Cannondale of the frame, and maybe i could get them to send the pictures to me so you can see them.
    The bike is a 29 Scalpel 2, 3 month old.
    Also the lefty fork had some problems from new.
    There wash no different for min rebound to max rebound, lbs said this wash do too low oil level i the lefty fork.
    This may sound like i am disliking the 29 scalpel, not so i really love this bike....

Klaus

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The lefty doesn't have oil in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Realistically how much can I trim the bars down by?

I'm really looking at trimming 25-50mm either side.

Would that take the bars back to the future ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Asbury:
    Where did you find that Ragley cable guide? Google only pulls up Chain Reaction in the UK when I do a search.

Ride Report:
    I've got about 10 hours on my Scalpel 2 now and here are my impressions to date.

The bike is very good on long climbs, did 5000+ feet yesterday and the back end end just doesn't seem to move if you stay seated.

I certainly wouldn't call the bike plush on rough down hills but is does enough so you can stay seated through most stuff and stay in control on the really rough stuff.

I'm having a hard time getting the Lefty to feel as good as my Fox. I know set up can be tricky since it's hard to determine sag but I'm already running less pressure than recommended.

Avid/Sram just can't seem to get brakes right. I was able to get rid of the squealing and shudder by changing to Alligator Rotors from the stock rotors but they still don't have the feel of my XT's.

Overall I love the bike. I think it's the perfect machine for endurance racing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Realistically how much can I trim the bars down by?

I'm really looking at trimming 25-50mm either side.

Would that take the bars back to the future ?
    Mine are at 650mm and have been since my second ride on it. I think they are 730mm stock I dont remember.

mtbr member
    May 2006

In my opinion get the XTR race now and never look back. All during Syllamo 125 last Saturday I was smiling about how much I love those brakes. They just never stop letting you know how precise they are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Won my first ever Cat 1 XC race yesterday with a little help from my scalpel. Cant say enough about how much I love this bike. Best cross country bike I have ever ridden, period.

race was at jungle habitat in NJ. Very cool place...actually a former warner brothers theme park that closed down in 1976. Now a great mountain biking park with some super technical terrain.

Photo by gtluke

change is good
    Sep 2004
    My LBS and Cannondale told me to go with lower pressures and I was afraid of damaging the fork initially. I had a converted Lefty Max on my Tallboy. I did read the manual, and sometimes the manual is off, like Fox. Also more air, can mean an exponentially more progressive/harsh feeling fork for heavier riders. I did have it as high as 150, but it felt too harsh with rebound set in the middle and then fine tuned. Adjusting sag is a PITA. That being said, I'm going to try a higher pressure again. The Lefty is weird. When I have too little air in other forks, it is obvious to me. Or maybe I'm weird. Torque29er keep the smileys - life is too short to live it puckered.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by utah joe View Post
    Won my first ever Cat 1 XC race yesterday with a little help from my scalpel. Cant say enough about how much I love this bike. Best cross country bike I have ever ridden, period.

race was at jungle habitat in NJ. Very cool place...actually a former warner brothers theme park that closed down in 1976. Now a great mountain biking park with some super technical terrain.

Photo by gtluke

AWESOME, Congrats to you !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can someone explain the basic features of the rear shock I'm likely to use on a ride?

Eg is there a kind of lockout?

From the pov of sitting on the bike if you flick the small lever to the left - what does that do?

What does the dial do?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Can someone explain the basic features of the rear shock I'm likely to use on a ride?

Eg is there a kind of lockout?

From the pov of sitting on the bike if you flick the small lever to the left - what does that do?

What does the dial do?

Thanks
    Which model bike / shock? Depends on what you've got - generally the lever is "propedal" which significantly firms up the shock. The dial that says "rebound" adjusts rebound damping - how quickly the shock extends after compression.

Just got my 1 in and built it up today! 23.4lbs tubeless with no reflectors and CB Candy 1 pedals (cheapest = lightest??)

Going to swap for a carbon post (EC-90 from a friend I think), any other quick/cheap ways to get it back under 23?
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Livin' the Dream
    [QUOTE=donjc451;9332011]Asbury:
    Where did you find that Ragley cable guide? Google only pulls up Chain Reaction in the UK when I do a search.

I ordered it from Chain Reaction.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Last edited by SHICKS; 05-24-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic View Post
    Which model bike / shock? Depends on what you've got - generally the lever is "propedal" which significantly firms up the shock. The dial that says "rebound" adjusts rebound damping - how quickly the shock extends after compression.

Just got my 1 in and built it up today! 23.4lbs tubeless with no reflectors and CB Candy 1 pedals (cheapest = lightest??)

Going to swap for a carbon post (EC-90 from a friend I think), any other quick/cheap ways to get it back under 23?
    Scalpel carbon 1 29er sorry

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ah, then we share the fox RP23.

The blue "switch" moves it from the "0-1-2" levels to the "3" level. 3 basically means the stiffest platform, 0 means no platform.. The blue knob in the middle you pull on (gently) and then rotate to choose 0-1-2 as your "unlocked" setting vs the "locked" setting which is fixed @ 3. The red knob adjusts rebound - as said, how quickly the shock pushes back from compression. And of course, there's the air adjustment.

Try this link for a better explanation: WebHelp

Click Rear Shocks -> FLOAT -> Factory Series and scroll down to see a breakdown. There's videos, tuning tips / troubleshooting, etc. And just make sure yours is like mine with the knob saying 0-1-2 vs 1-2-3 (which is a different system)... the Link ^ explains it all!
    Last edited by rvmdmechanic; 05-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    took a while, but here's my build.

comes to 22.5 pounds WITH a power meter and dropper post. the parts i chose are not to be particularly light but rather to be durable.

this was a shot from the maiden voyage. i rode hard tempo up a 2 mile climb that averages 15%. my prior fastest time was 32:30, and this day i did it in 29:59. sure was fun on the way down!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-img_0545.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Is that an ULTIMATE on what looks like an ULTIMATE trail???

Holy sheet that bike and landscape looks awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is that an ULTIMATE on what looks like an ULTIMATE trail???

Holy sheet that bike and landscape looks awesome.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by donjc451 View Post
    Asbury:

Ride Report:
    I've got about 10 hours on my Scalpel 2 now and here are my impressions to date.

The bike is very good on long climbs, did 5000+ feet yesterday and the back end end just doesn't seem to move if you stay seated.

I certainly wouldn't call the bike plush on rough down hills but is does enough so you can stay seated through most stuff and stay in control on the really rough stuff.

I'm having a hard time getting the Lefty to feel as good as my Fox. I know set up can be tricky since it's hard to determine sag but I'm already running less pressure than recommended.

Avid/Sram just can't seem to get brakes right. I was able to get rid of the squealing and shudder by changing to Alligator Rotors from the stock rotors but they still don't have the feel of my XT's.

Overall I love the bike. I think it's the perfect machine for endurance racing.
    If the lefty feels "wrong" at recommended pressure, take it back to the shop. We've found several QC issues such as incorrect oil level, missing or added spacers, etc. We have a former Cannnondale employee on staff and he works magic. This thing should feel like butter if it's working correctly. Get it in!

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The 11' Lefty on my Tallboy needed to be rebuilt. I know of others who had to send their fork back to the factory.

Livin' the Dream

comes to 22.5 pounds WITH a power meter and dropper post. the parts i chose are not to be particularly light but rather to be durable.

this was a shot from the maiden voyage. i rode hard tempo up a 2 mile climb that averages 15%. my prior fastest time was 32:30, and this day i did it in 29:59. sure was fun on the way down!
    I am envious. Awesome on so many levels.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First ride today - 10 miles in 1.5hr on a quick ride before work...

This bike is AMAZING!!!!!!! It's a stock 1 so no pictures til it's custom - but just have to share my thoughts:

When I first bought a "real" mountain bike, I had this amazing experience of the "aha" moment of WOW this bike is fast, it's squishy, etc. - from then on, it's been pretty much small levels of "oh cool" - the scalpel is that "aha" all over again. It's incredibly fast, lighter than my hardtail, suspension feels awesome, I couldn't be happier. If you're thinking about it - GET ONE!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"

AWESOME !!!

How do you like the your dropper post? Is it the new crank bro dropper ?
    I have a specialized one but I don't like the issue with the cable, other than that it works great.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You guys say the Scalpel work good as a trail bike? Not interested in racing just looking for a kick ass trail bike. The budget for a Scalpel 2 opens up a huge number of options, but I keep coming back to the scalpel. Lefty's are so freaking stiff. Demo'd a Flash carbon 3 and was blowin' away. I just want a little squish out back.

Side question, any compression dampening tuning on the lefty's or just rebound and lock out?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    AWESOME !!!

How do you like the your dropper post? Is it the new crank bro dropper ?
    I have a specialized one but I don't like the issue with the cable, other than that it works great.
    i'm using the blacx AM+ air. one ride with a dropper and i was a convert, but i haven't had enough time on the blacx to comment on it versus other designs.

i have a reverb sitting here. i'm thinking i might sell the reverb. infinite adjustment doesn't really seem to be so necessary (for me) after riding the blacx.

definitely recommend trying one. i was a hold-out for a long time thinking they were nice but unnecessary on my local trails, but after riding on i realize how often it is effective to raise/lower the post throughout a ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flboy View Post
    You guys say the Scalpel work good as a trail bike? Not interested in racing just looking for a kick ass trail bike. The budget for a Scalpel 2 opens up a huge number of options, but I keep coming back to the scalpel. Lefty's are so freaking stiff. Demo'd a Flash carbon 3 and was blowin' away. I just want a little squish out back.

Side question, any compression dampening tuning on the lefty's or just rebound and lock out?
    S29ers rock. Lefties use air for compression I think?

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast