Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    I ran into the local Cannondale rep at a trailhead here in SLC the other day. He had the Scalpel 2 and had increased the travel to 120 and put the cup on the bottom. He said the climbing ability took a little hit but absolutely loved the downhill with these changes. I might do it.

my understanding is that the lefty's axle to crown is fixed, so increasing travel wouldn't actually alter the ride characteristics. All it would do is let the wheel come closer to the frame. Anybody...anybody?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ive stretched the lefty out as well. The mod is actually more like 110 not 120. Wheel closer to frame? If anything is 10mm further away. The fork is still bottoming at the same point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by packfill View Post
    my understanding is that the lefty's axle to crown is fixed, so increasing travel wouldn't actually alter the ride characteristics. All it would do is let the wheel come closer to the frame. Anybody...anybody?
    k51 is right. According to the Cannondale rep and my lbs, the increased travel comes from lengthening. It is not from increased travel within the Lefty getting "closer to the frame." The lengthening would increase the wheelbase with the commensurate handling changes, and it would make climbing characteristics less desirable. As with my post of a few days ago, these may or may not be noticeable, but the rep. was enthusiastic about the downhill performance of the increased travel. He encouraged me to increase my sag in the Lefty to maximize the current (100mm) travel. I had 115 psi (weigh 170 no clothes) and dropped it to 105 before the ride tonight. Loved the difference and it didn't bottom out. Just dropped it to 100 and will try it tomorrow after work. I can't imagine going less than 100 for my weight. Cheers, and enjoy these fantastic bikes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Scalpel 29 Ride Report

I would agree that more sag for All around riding on the fork makes for a better trail experience. I use the Scalpel as a quiver bike. Moving the spacer to the bottom coupled with the extra travel, puts the head angle at just under 70 deg(iPhone app measured). I'm still playing with pressures but the added travel and matching sag has improved small bump compliance noticeably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    I would agree that more sag for All around riding on the fork makes for a better trail experience. I use the Scalpel as a quiver bike. Moving the spacer to the bottom coupled with the extra travel, puts the head angle at just under 70 deg(iPhone app measured). I'm still playing with pressures but the added travel and matching sag has improved small bump compliance noticeably.

What are the effects on climbing characteristics resulting from the combination of changes? Just noticeable, somewhat annoying or large changes in uphill handling?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Scalpel 29 Ride Report

The short answer is just noticeable. Riding style will play a factor. I'm on a single speed for 80 percent of my riding so take my consideration with a grain of salt.
    The biggest concern you should consider is the parity between seat and handle bar height after making any changes. My setup is 90 -5 stem, 720mm flat bar with 2 stem spacers, no setback seat post, coupled with the bottom spacer and added travel. This puts my seat height even with the bar height. Bike is a large and I'm 6ft

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21