Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I doubt if I have "enough" when I only have 2x10 instead of 3x9? I like to cycle small when climbing..... because of my knee.
    Is it better for my buying a ATB with 3 in front?

Livin' the Dream
    I've had several rides now, with the longest being a 4.5 hour training ride. All my initial thoughts are the same. This is the perfect machine for endurance races, I never came off the Yeti feeling as "fresh" as I did after being in the saddle of the Scalpel for several hours. The bike is just so solid. I don't think I'll ever ride a non Lefty bike again. Also, It's a great climber which has been very surprising to me. I wish there was a second bottle cage, but the seat post mounted Spec adapter has fixed that. The 2x10 has plenty of "granny" gear; I wouldn't be surprised to see 3x10's disappear altogether in a few years. All in all, very pleased.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was out for an hour or so today burning off some overdone holiday cheer from last night. I agree with everything Asbury said though I rigged mine with a triple ring and I'm happy I did. I am not a Cat 1 racer though, just a citizens category guy and where I ride here in CO I use the 24/36 as well as the 42/11 so I enjoy the wider range of gear options. Totally bad ass climbing machine (hard to argue with 5 less pounds!), and although the suspension feels quite a bit stiffer than my old ride, the larger wheels just add enough extra stability that I don't miss the extra cush at all when headed down. Can't wait till spring to get it out on some single track, but I'm sure the XC racing community is going to embrace this bike in a big way. Even the more casual rider like myself will enjoy the precision performance and responsiveness, coupled with the forgiveness and greater stability inherent in a 29er.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vlinder View Post
    I doubt if I have "enough" when I only have 2x10 instead of 3x9? I like to cycle small when climbing..... because of my knee.
    Is it better for my buying a ATB with 3 in front?
    MY LBS was happy to swap out the original 2 ring front for a 3, used FSA spiders on the SI cranks, swapped front and rear derailleurs and rear casette for XTR.

mtbr member
    Where in Co. do you live Mhersh?....like to see it. ....up here in Fort Collins...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The bike or the route? I live up Coal Creek Canyon between Boulder and Golden ( Hwy 72 a couple miles up from 93) about an hour15 minutes drive to FC. The weathers been so good this week I rode " my hill" again today, about a 1500 foot climb to the top in dry conditions, but the last half mile is snow choked so maybe 1200 feet right now. Tell me how ton post a pic with an iPhone or iPad and I'll happily post a few shots.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did quite a bit of riding on my Scapel 2 this week. 2 hours thur, 3 friday, 5 saturday and 3 sunday and ive got to say I really like it.

Im coming from a santa cruz blur, this is my first 29er and what hits you the most is how you can really use your upper body and throw this thing into the corners. I mean you can really put some lean on it. I am from a motor cross and motorcycle road racing background and wow this bike was like going home. It honestly took me 15 minutes and I never thought about my blur again.

The other thing I noticed is the 39 front at first but then you realize that it just takes more to get the 29er going on slow tight stuff and when you think you want to spin you have to just put a bit more power to it and all is good. Amazing ones its going, so smooth.

I had a few instances on some really rough S turns that are pretty fast where same as the OP I felt like I honestly can feel the difference in the design of the lefty vs my fox rlc. It was still noticible the roots were there but I was able to just skip a bit and throw in back into the other side of the S every lap. Was never that fast in that S on the Blur.

It comes with 710mm bars....They are too wide for tight trees and I figured out fast I couldnt just wing it until I cut them down Nice flight I had though. Got good points on the full front flip.

Do note that it doesnt come with a down tube protector sticker at all and you will want to grab one. I just used a lizard skin. Also doesnt come with a chain stay guard of any kind, not even sticker.

I will be using this bike for at least 4 100miler NUE races this year and a handful of 6 hours. Not sure of the whole season yet. I am really looking forward to it.

Oh and the Monarch is really sweet. Its one of the main reasons I didnt get the Carbon 1. Very smooth and feels way better than my RP23s. Im running 20lbs less air in the Monarch than the RP23s as well just fyi.

Ride one if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I never had a carbon trail bike.....

Can this be used for a larger (220lb) rider out east where it is rocky and rooty? I don't want to spend this much money if I'm going to shred the bike. I do mostly trail riding - just a little concerned about the durability.....can anyone advise me? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got mine in last week. I had to go out of town right after it was put together.I am anxious to get the new off of it!

Glad to know you guys are enjoying them so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    very nice review, thanks for sharing it.

what frame size is it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are there any XL frames delivered yet ? I'm still waiting for my carbon 2 in XL

FIRENZE rulez !!
    complete article here :
    Scalpel 29er report eliflap

a friend has for 2 days this bike , stock version here in Italy , 10,7 kg :

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9113/...alpel29er1.jpg

saturday loop:

Uscita 07/01/2012 by barone86 at Garmin Connect - Details

his impressions in few words :

great grip when uphilling , no bobbing , great on the descents

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok despite having no brakes, I decided to hack something together and finally take my bike out for its first ride. Only set of brakes I had laying around was a set of old maguras from my karate monkey...they are too short and pretty beat, but they worked for now.

My current bike is a 2010 Epic 29er marathon and for 2 years I have been very happy with it. I have put about 3500 miles on it..done everything from cyclocross racing, 60 mile road rides, XC racing, endurance racing, downhill runs...pretty much everything. Its been an awesome bike and I really have very few complaints about it. So while I thought I would like the scalpel, I wasnt sure that it would blow me away compared to my Epic.

I took it to my favorite local spot that has a good amount of technical rock gardens, some decent climbs and some fast downhills. First thing I noticed on the mile long rail bed trip into the trail was that I did not notice the brain not being there. The rear just does not bob. I didnt bother to look at which of the 3 setting was the stiffest, so I just left it in the middle for a while. Felt fine. First section of trail I hit was a technical rocky climb and the bike was impressive and felt glued to the ground. compared to epic, the front end felt more planted and not as easily knocked offline. One thing I always loved about my Epic was how solid it felt when you were out of the saddle climbing. I tried this a number of times with the scalpel and I couldn't tell the difference. Feels very solid.

Downhill is where this bike most impressed me. The lefty is far better on rocky descents then the reba on my epic. Absolutely flies downhill.

In the technical bits, again it was impressive. Had no issues with the slow rolling rocky portions of the ride. This was something my epic did really well so I was hoping that the scalpel would be at least as good. I felt it was better. Im not sure of how the bb height compares to my epic, but it didnt feel as low. The scalpel does feel like it is easier to hustle over bigger logs...say like knee high.

I would say that turning feels about the same and I loved how the epic turned.... but when you factor in how well the lefty stays planted to the ground, I definitely felt that the scalpel was faster. Loved it.

In all I think its very much like my epic, but in every area, improved. Faster, climbs better, descends better....No complaints. Im really looking forward to swapping some lightweight parts onto it. As of now, the only things I have changed are the bars, hollowgram cranks, and tires. Brakes as well...but my R1's are not in yet.

First rock garden.

canuck
    Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326011055.046072.jpg
    It is here! It has a little drool on it but it's still awesome. I wish I could afford it as well as my Jekyll. But such as life.

FIRENZE rulez !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have bought also a C'dale Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 and the only issue I found are the cables. There are 2 cables underneath the frame and 1 cable that goes above. I have got the solution for this "problem": I replaced the C'dale cable guides with cable guides from Specialized...The cable guides from Specialized can handle three cables! Now are all my 3 cables together and the problem is solved! Looks much better! I will post pic's if needed...

Livin' the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by heumena View Post
    I have bought also a C'dale Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 and the only issue I found are the cables. There are 2 cables underneath the frame and 1 cable that goes above. I have got the solution for this "problem": I replaced the C'dale cable guides with cable guides from Specialized...The cable guides from Specialized can handle three cables! Now are all my 3 cables together and the problem is solved! Looks much better! I will post pic's if needed...
    I'd love to see those pics if you've got some.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    heumena...what your take on the new Scalpel? Looking to order one myself...worth the the 8 grand?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought mine in Europe voor 6000 euro's (7662 dollar)... It's worth every euro... I have changed the following things:

Brakes

- Hope RACE Evo M4 2012 (front)
    - Hope RACE Evo X2 2012 (rear)
    - Hope Floating Rotor 183mm black (front)
    - Hope Floating Rotor 160mm black (rear)

Cockpit
    - ENVE MTB Stuur Sweep Bar OS
    - Ritchey WCS True Grips
    - Hope Matchmaker Hope For Sram
    - Hope Grip Doctor

Other

- ENVE seatpost (31,6mm x 400mm) and 25mm Offset
    - Fizik Antares Versus black
    - Maxxis Ikon 29 x 2.2
    - SRAM XX front derailleur

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ive ridden over 30 hours on it in the past 2.5 weeks ive had it. All I can say is that it is a great bike. The most confidence inspiring bike ive ever ridden. I can rail around off camber root studded corner like no other. Its a great fun bike to ride.

The grips were too hard so I swithed those out, the seat and my arse didnt like each other at all so back to my WTB rocket v. Other than that im all stock and will remain so for a while. I really have no reason to upgrade right now.

I even bought a second set of the stock wheels off ebay that someone obviously upgraded. Im doing a lot of 100 mile races and needed spare wheels with different tires, cant beat them for the money. Of course id like some I9s but 1300.00 can wait.

Our trails are really tight trees and lots of roots. The bike is amazing. Tomorrow im taking it out of town to do some rocky trails and will see how that goes.

Well worth the money. I thin the 2 is a better deal than the 1, but thats just my opinion and I could of had either one.

banned
    Just road my Scalpel 1 for the first ride. Absolutely amazing! Rides so flickable for a 29er. Did not miss my Superfly even for 1 second. No regrets. One thing that was impressive, that had thought would be a drawback with the single pivot, was how it climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke View Post

Well worth the money. I thin the 2 is a better deal than the 1, but thats just my opinion and I could of had either one.
    Depends on the deal you can rangle with your LBS. When you consider the upgraded stand alone cost of the wheels, SI crank, and Carbon Lefty, not to mention the drivetrain components... I'd say the 1 at least offers solid value for the extra price. About $1000/pound of weight saving. But, I got my 1 with all XTR and a carbon seat post for $6500 which I think is a pretty good relative price compared to what I believe others are paying. I do still like the paint job better on the 2 frame though.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear ...i'm getting closer to ordering one....

mtbr member
    Can someone of the scalpel 29er owners please explaine how does the rear thru axle looks like?
    I know its a 12 mm but it is the quick release or how does it work to take the rear wheel our?

thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You can use the same tool which you use for your seatclamp. I am not sure what it is in English, but I think a hextool? Looks like a torx...

But you can replace it with a DT-Swiss quick release if you whish...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast