Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Pete. Ya it's not the saddle I'm sure as the knock occurs out of the saddle too. I'll definately check the rerailleur bolt and the hanger bolt (lubed, but forgot to check the tightness).

Also didn't mention the sound usually occurs AFTER a few rotations of the crank, and comes on randomly. Hope I'll nail it down tomorrow.

mtbr member

Scalpel 29er 2 tires & rims

Scalpel 29er 2 2013 has arrived. So far - AMAZING!
    Has anyone tried to put some other tires than Schwalbe on arch ex rims that come on scalpel 29er 2? Heard a few rumors that it impossible use any other tire on that rim. I would like to use Saguaros on it.

mtbr member
    Jut got info from LBS, scalpel not ready before 3.12
    Maybe some parts missing.
    Last edited by xluossa; 11-23-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Tool
    Just be persistent and you'll find it, hyper. Check the somewhat unexpected sources. Any place where two parts come together (or might come together) affords the opportunity for noise.

If you have access to a trainer and an assitant, you may be able to repro the noise in place to hunt it down more easily.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's the main pivot's bearings!! The mechanic took everything apart (rear end, chain stay / seatstay, etc.), cleaned and greased everything, found out that the one of the main pivot bearings were short so he replaced them both. No more noise after after the first ride today and I hope it stays quiet for a while. Thanks Pete for the insight!

mtbr member
    I thought I'd chime in with yet another Scalpel 2 report. I've had mine since May, 550 miles.

It has been a blast to ride, never leaving me wanting more. I have been riding and racing it over the typical Northeast terrain, even some lift service runs at Burke Mtn.

The ride quality, for a race bike, is outstanding. The trail is nicely dampened, but the platform is very stiff. Aside from the creaks I mention below, the bike is silent on the trail. If I setup the suspension according to mfg specs, I find the ride to be a bit too firm and it does not move though it's travel very well. I tend to run it about 10psi lower than the recommended setting, which gives a nice feel and not much if any pedal bob. After all it is a race bike and the mfg settings are probably accurate to give the correct geometry with the given sag.

Climbing is where this bike shines, just settle in and it does everything it can to make your life comfortable and to make every pedal stroke count. Descending technical or loose terrain took a bit to getting used to. It came across as twitchy and sometimes difficult to keep pointed in the intended direction. My confidence was not inspired and I would find myself being a bit more cautious. Then I moved the headset spacer to the bottom, which slackened the front end a tiny bit and relieved some of the twitchiness and for my riding style and terrain made the bike feel better overall.

Clearance between the front derailleur and rear tire is tight and I did have some issues with mud packing on and around the FD causing some minor issues.

It did have the initial OPI stem creaking issue, which was solved by disassembly and regreasing. It also had a creaking seatpost clamp where the seat is mounted to the post, greased and now quiet. During the first few rides the crankset loosened up to which I cleverly overtightened, which lead to a creaking BB a few weeks later. The cables mounted to the BB were rubbing the frame, so I just adjusted those to clear the frame. I've done a few bearing resets on the Lefty and the remote lock was not adjusted correctly causing the fork to feel very stiff, that was resolved by the barrel adjuster on the remote. One XTR Shadow + RD was destroyed when it was pushed in to the spokes, though the hanger did not break or bend? And finally the Elixer brakes while powerful one finger brakes are a bit noisy, but I have not had a set of Avids that have not been noisy.

All that it needs is a new set of tires and it's ready for another season.

And a gratuitous photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-photo-25-.jpg  

Last edited by SHICKS; 11-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    12 Scalpel 2
    10 Super Six
    09 Rize 3 - Retired
    11 EMD 9 - Retired

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Prepared to take grief, I report buying a 1 on eBay. It creaked like mad. I got an occasional clicking noise from the rear when braking. I called the LBS and they said the clicking is from brake pads that aren't seated. I reinstalled and it still clicked, but it was only a few times per hour. I rode it two weekends attempting to grease and tighten bolts to no avail. I read the posts here of bottom bracket and head set creaks so I took it to the LBS. They greased the headset and overhauled the bottom bracket. I took it for a ride and it still creaked.The brake related clicking was still there too. The LBS then tore the bike down to find four rear suspension bearing shot, the clicking noise coming from a broken rear DT Swiss hub, and two cracks in the frame, one in the rear triangle at the brake mount and a larger one in the front triangle near the suspension linkage. The seller presented the bike as a 9.5 out of 10 with only 350 miles in the auction. Wow.The seller said he will not refund my money. I'm appealling this to the eBay dispute resolution center based on misrepresentation of the bike in the marketplace. They will issue a determination Thursday. If I lose I'll appeal it and seek the intervention of AmEx Customer Service. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Even if this gets resolved in my favor, as much as I love the bike, I'm not sure I trust the build enough to buy another. Anyone have similar problems or know of frame failure rates? Thanks.
    What was the final outcome on this. I was looking at a Scalpel Ultimate on Ebay and it appears outstanding but now you've got me rethinking the whole deal. Did Ebay rule in your favor?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Picked it up last night. $4689!

Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354282407.619087.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Picked it up last night. $4689!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354282407.619087.jpg 
Views:	835 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	741079
    Nice

That's a 12 correct ?

I bought one 6 -8 months ago for $6k

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    What was the final outcome on this. I was looking at a Scalpel Ultimate on Ebay and it appears outstanding but now you've got me rethinking the whole deal. Did Ebay rule in your favor?
    I'd like to know too. It's in ebays interests to look after consumers

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Nice

That's a 12 correct ?

I bought one 6 -8 months ago for $6k
    Yeah, a 12. Great price considering the components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Yeah, a 12. Great price considering the components.
    I haven't read a whole lot on this thread of late - is the consensus that us '12 owners have a much better specced bike than the '13 owners?

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    12 has Hollowgram crank and mostly XX Bits.
    13 has Reynolds carbon wheels, new Lefty, and mostly X0.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I too just picked up a closeout 12. Pretty amazing bike coming from a HT! It would be interesting to feel the difference a carbon wheel set might make, significant or not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Bar finally came in...
    FSA 670mm Bar 130gr. on Scale.
    I guess it's from 130gr-139gr.
    What's wrong with the Truvativ Noir 700 Flat Bar on the Scalpel 29er 1 ?
    Did you replace it with the FSA ?
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Begginer here

Hey there all! I just demo'd both the Jekyll and the Scapel, now please understand that I have very little experience with non-Walmart bikes.

So, to say the least, I lOVED both rides. The Scapel 1 was amazing. I currently ride a 17.5 Jamis Dakota Comp and I am looking for a ride that suits by size as I am 6'1 280lbs.

I have considered a Niner Jet 9, a Santa Cruz Tallboy and now the Scapel, which would you suggest?? I live in Florida and my normal rides are Markham, Oleta and Quiet Waters park...

All suggestions are welcomed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Suggesting carbon bikes, those are all a tough call. All out lightest frame: Scalpel! Do it all (well almost) bikes, Tallboy with a 120 Fox fork and JEt 9 RDO 120mm fork. From what I understand the scalpel is a single pivot bike and the Niner and Tallboy are dual pivot. How much are you trying to spend? What do you plan to use the bike for?

You test rode the Scalpel 29er carbon 1 right? If so you have ask if you like that paint job, red, blue, black, and white, I don't care for it but. I think the Tallboy and Niner Jet 9 RDO looks much better as far as paint goes. I think last years Scalpels had better paint job selections, IMO... Demo the Tallboy and Jet 9 RDO...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, I'm not looking to race or beat the bike up but I am interested in something that is going to last a while and of course I can grow with.. Carbon, allow?? I can careless., besides I don't have the 5 - 8k that some of these bikes cost. My budget is $2,800 max. and If I could find something used with good components at a fraction of that price - even better.

So, your suggestions are more than welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    I'd like to know too. It's in ebays interests to look after consumers
    I lost the Ebay dispute, opened one with AmEx (used with Paypal), and learned I won on Friday. Bikes in box and ready to be shipped back to the seller.

Given the experience, I am "appropriately concerned" about these frames, to say the least. Plus, four rear suspension bearings and a bad DT Swiss hub, I'm likely to shop elsewhere.

That said, I loved the bike so much I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and continuing discussions with owners I see on the trail. For sure, I'll only buy this bike new if I'm compelled to try it again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I lost the Ebay dispute, opened one with AmEx (used with Paypal), and learned I won on Friday. Bikes in box and ready to be shipped back to the seller.
    Good, I'm glad to hear it worked out. I've been screwed on ebay for thousands a couple of times and Ebay did nothing to help either and neither could the authorities, long story, anyways, that is why it is best to buy from Ebay with a credit card through pay pal because you other ways. Usually the credit card companies will back you up. I still buy and sell on ebay and for the most part it is great. Its just the few that are out there that can mess up everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy9398 View Post
    Well, I'm not looking to race or beat the bike up but I am interested in something that is going to last a while and of course I can grow with.. Carbon, allow?? I can careless., besides I don't have the 5 - 8k that some of these bikes cost. My budget is $2,800 max. and If I could find something used with good components at a fraction of that price - even better.

So, your suggestions are more than welcome.
    Well I don't know about a scalpel aluminum 29er, or if it even comes in Aluminum, but SC does make the Tallboy in aluminum that will save you money. You could get yourself a brand new Tallboy R kit for your budget you specified. The Jet 9 RDO is all carbon though and very pricy. The R Kit is a great package it will last many years to come but you need to demo one to see if you like the way it rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Scalpel 29er 4 is an alloy bike but it doesn't have the Lefty either. Its MSRP is $2660, according to the C'dale website: SCALPEL 29ER 4 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

The Scalpel 29er 3 is alloy bike with the Lefty and goes for $3550. SCALPEL 29ER 3 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Given the experience, I am "appropriately concerned" about these frames, to say the least. Plus, four rear suspension bearings and a bad DT Swiss hub, I'm likely to shop elsewhere.

That said, I loved the bike so much I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and continuing discussions with owners I see on the trail. For sure, I'll only buy this bike new if I'm compelled to try it again.
    How the hell did eBay refuse ?

Did they say it was possible during your usage?

How does Amex help now? Go legal on the guy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    The Scalpel 29er 4 is an alloy bike but it doesn't have the Lefty either. Its MSRP is $2660, according to the C'dale website: SCALPEL 29ER 4 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

The Scalpel 29er 3 is alloy bike with the Lefty and goes for $3550. SCALPEL 29ER 3 - Scalpel 29er - Full Suspension 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013
    I picked up a 2012 Scalpel 29er 4 last Aug from my local C'dale dealer for $1700 and have been enjoying it ever since...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem View Post
    I picked up a 2012 Scalpel 29er 4 last Aug from my local C'dale dealer for $1700 and have been enjoying it ever since...
    Score!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast