Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    06z
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Newbe question

On the scalpel carbon 1 or 2 can you get more travel from the lefty? Also how much clearance is between the stock tire and frame when bottomed out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabaggers View Post
    By the way, anyone else have a problem with their BB30 wearing out in quick fashion? I only have 30 hours on mine and it already needs to be replaced. My shop says that they are noticing this with BB30 on all sorts of bike. I'm not amused to think I'm going to have to replace my BB every couple months.
    As the other reply mentioned, I don't think it's anything to do with the BB30 standard. If you have Hollowgrams, or probably most crank systems, the design is fairly well sealed. Certainly no worse than HT2, where the bearings are completely outboard (though not as good as the old square taper design). In either case, it would be very difficult to design a low friction system where water was completely excluded. You might be getting additional wear if the bearings aren't seated squarely but I find that unlikely - even if they're fitted poorly, the bearings should square up as the drive side crank tightens onto the axle and applies pressure that will tend to seat them squarely.

The real problem with BB's, is the widespread use of plain steel bearings in a part of the bike that is frequently subject to water ingress. Stainless steel should be fitted as standard on all MTB's in my opinion. With a plain steel bearing, once the water gets in (and it will) they will start to rust. Once there's rust in there, the surfaces will wear really fast and the races will start to lock up as the rust particles fill up the spaces.

Any bearing supplier should be able to supply you with a BB30 bearing in Stainless steel. The code is 6806. You can also pop the seals off when you get new bearings and make sure there's some grease in there. That will help to keep water out.

I havn't had any luck finding stainless bearings for the lefty headset yet but at least they are less vulnerable up there out of the way.
    Last edited by jimification; 08-17-2012 at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would be interested in buying this if it's still for sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just had my PF30 bearings replaced on the Scalpel, last about 700miles. I think it's more like an a hit or miss, I never had any problem with the ceramic ones on the BB30 (Rize).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i got the scalpel 2 with monarch & get some bobing when pushing hard, i'll never ride with the shock open, except long downhill...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 06z View Post
    On the scalpel carbon 1 or 2 can you get more travel from the lefty? Also how much clearance is between the stock tire and frame when bottomed out?
    don't think you can get more travel out of a lefty, but not positive....

06z
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks,
    I was told 10 mm is all you can get. Might not be worth it. I will ride mine stock for now when ups delivers it!

06z
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Can someone please post pics of their dropper post install? Cable routing is what I'm really looking for. I get my Ultimate on Friday so I need ideas. Thanks in advance!

I will start a new thread!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi.
    With regards to the water getting in problem.
    I just finished a 76 km race. The weather was terrible. It rained 50 mm! before and during the race. Extremely wet and muddy.
    After the race i could hear water inside my scalpel carbon 2 frame. I took off the seat post and poured out about one liter of mud/water.
    I found out that the fizik seat post is not sealed. This means that when the mud hits the underneath of the saddle it is getting sprayed right down into the frame.

And by the way BB, steering fittings, rings, chain, cassette kaput!!! and brake pads worn all the way thru the metal so the pistons were also worn out.
    I am for sure changing to xx1 during this winter and taking this as a good opportunity to get rid of those silly avid brakes. Anyone else going for xx1? i am thinking 36 x 10-42.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Scalpel 1

Bought her yesterday. 11 kg ...
    cant wait to ride uphill , never thought i would forget my Prophet so fast ,
    to buy this bike was the result of test riding uphill my friends Flash 29 after a 1700 hm ride ....

lefty hybrid is very new for me ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-2012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Prepared to take grief, I report buying a 1 on eBay. It creaked like mad. I got an occasional clicking noise from the rear when braking. I called the LBS and they said the clicking is from brake pads that aren't seated. I reinstalled and it still clicked, but it was only a few times per hour. I rode it two weekends attempting to grease and tighten bolts to no avail. I read the posts here of bottom bracket and head set creaks so I took it to the LBS. They greased the headset and overhauled the bottom bracket. I took it for a ride and it still creaked.The brake related clicking was still there too. The LBS then tore the bike down to find four rear suspension bearing shot, the clicking noise coming from a broken rear DT Swiss hub, and two cracks in the frame, one in the rear triangle at the brake mount and a larger one in the front triangle near the suspension linkage. The seller presented the bike as a 9.5 out of 10 with only 350 miles in the auction. Wow.The seller said he will not refund my money. I'm appealling this to the eBay dispute resolution center based on misrepresentation of the bike in the marketplace. They will issue a determination Thursday. If I lose I'll appeal it and seek the intervention of AmEx Customer Service. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Even if this gets resolved in my favor, as much as I love the bike, I'm not sure I trust the build enough to buy another. Anyone have similar problems or know of frame failure rates? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX_Lyrik View Post
    Bought her yesterday. 11 kg ...
    cant wait to ride uphill , never thought i would forget my Prophet so fast ,
    to buy this bike was the result of test riding uphill my friends Flash 29 after a 1700 hm ride ....

lefty hybrid is very new for me ....
    Isn that 2012 year modell?? How com its have 2013 lefty modell? Or, did you change lefty for new one?
    Looks good

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    yes, it looks awesome. this is 2013 model.

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Current fleet:
    2006 Scalpel 1000, Crossmax SLR wheels, SL110 lefty
    2009 Caffeine 29er, self built, DLR2 lefty
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1 (105 brake, race lite wheel upgrades)

Proposed fleet:
    sell Scalpel with DLR2 and original Crossland wheelset installed ($800)
    sell Crossmax SLR wheelset ($250)
    install SL110 onto the 29er, keep 29er
    sell Madone ($1500)
    buy leftover 2012 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 at a nice discount

I became a father this past summer and the prospect of getting hit by a car on the road bike is much less palatable now. So, I'm totally OK with letting the road bike go. Despite a few nice upgrades to my Scalpel, I don't really ever ride it anymore and it only serves as my backup bike because I enjoy my 29er that much more. But, as I push up in age, I'm leaning more toward a FS. So, for relatively little investment, I can, I think, rearrange my small fleet to better fit my needs. I want the S29erC1 to be my go to bike and the 09 29er to become my backup. The Caffeine 29er hardtail is just a climbing monster and I love that about it. Am I going to be disappointed in the bob on the Scalpel or will it be that much better than my old school 06 Scalpel that I won't notice much bob when I'm on the 29er Scalpel? I feel like the 29er Scalpel will fit perfectly in keeping a racy, rigid platform under me while not being so damn unforgiving as my Caffeine. Thoughts?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    yes, it looks awesome. this is 2013 model.
    My LBS has some 2012 Scalpel 2 & 3 models with the new front shock...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Current fleet:
    2006 Scalpel 1000, Crossmax SLR wheels, SL110 lefty
    2009 Caffeine 29er, self built, DLR2 lefty
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1 (105 brake, race lite wheel upgrades)

Proposed fleet:
    sell Scalpel with DLR2 and original Crossland wheelset installed ($800)
    sell Crossmax SLR wheelset ($250)
    install SL110 onto the 29er, keep 29er
    sell Madone ($1500)
    buy leftover 2012 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1 at a nice discount

I became a father this past summer and the prospect of getting hit by a car on the road bike is much less palatable now. So, I'm totally OK with letting the road bike go. Despite a few nice upgrades to my Scalpel, I don't really ever ride it anymore and it only serves as my backup bike because I enjoy my 29er that much more. But, as I push up in age, I'm leaning more toward a FS. So, for relatively little investment, I can, I think, rearrange my small fleet to better fit my needs. I want the S29erC1 to be my go to bike and the 09 29er to become my backup. The Caffeine 29er hardtail is just a climbing monster and I love that about it. Am I going to be disappointed in the bob on the Scalpel or will it be that much better than my old school 06 Scalpel that I won't notice much bob when I'm on the 29er Scalpel? I feel like the 29er Scalpel will fit perfectly in keeping a racy, rigid platform under me while not being so damn unforgiving as my Caffeine. Thoughts?
    If your interested... Large 2012 Scalpel 1 is forsale from my LBS for 5k. It's in mint codition... It belongs to the store manager... He's upgrading to an Ultimate...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    If your interested... Large 2012 Scalpel 1 is forsale from my LBS for 5k. It's in mint codition... It belongs to the store manager... He's upgrading to an Ultimate...
    I'm a solid medium.

The bike was sold when I got there anyway. They were asking $4600.

mtbr member
    My LBS has some 2012 Scalpel 2 & 3 models with the new front shock...
    So, it seems that, they didnt have old leftys anymore and have to replaced with new ones.
    I am still waiting for mine scalpel 1(2012) arrival to LBS.

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by xluossa View Post
    So, it seems that, they didnt have old leftys anymore and have to replaced with new ones.
    I am still waiting for mine scalpel 1(2012) arrival to LBS.
    I just test rode the new 2013 Scalpel 1 today at an Cannondale event...... The new front shock works AWESOME as advertised, buttery smooth... Looks great too... and as an added benefit to the 2102 model, you get the carbon rims and a lock out in the rear shock.
    You get full lockout front and rear or full suspension front and rear.
    Or a combination of both, just at the push of a button without ever having to get off the bike to do so, and in IMHO the best front shock in the industry.

If you haven't gotten your bike yet, maybe a 2013 model may be on the way... I own a 2102 model and it rocks... either way you win.
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Scalpel Fan
    Mar 2008
    My LBS found another Carbon 1 for me! Joy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    My LBS found another Carbon 1 for me! Joy!

I just test rode the new 2013 Scalpel 1 today at an Cannondale event...... The new front shock works AWESOME as advertised, buttery smooth... Looks great too... and as an added benefit to the 2102 model, you get the carbon rims and a lock out in the rear shock.
    You get full lockout front and rear or full suspension front and rear.
    Or a combination of both, just at the push of a button without ever having to get off the bike to do so, and in IMHO the best front shock in the industry.

If you haven't gotten your bike yet, maybe a 2013 model may be on the way... I own a 2102 model and it rocks... either way you win.
    The reason why i did order this year modell was price, 1k cheaper. Reynolds carbon rims and new lefty in 2013 modell is cool. But this year modell has hollowgrams and xx parts.:
    And colour offcourse i like better 2012.
    Maybe if get lucky, i get this year modell with next year lefty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Hi.
    With regards to the water getting in problem.
    I just finished a 76 km race. The weather was terrible. It rained 50 mm! before and during the race. Extremely wet and muddy.
    After the race i could hear water inside my scalpel carbon 2 frame. I took off the seat post and poured out about one liter of mud/water.
    I found out that the fizik seat post is not sealed. This means that when the mud hits the underneath of the saddle it is getting sprayed right down into the frame.

And by the way BB, steering fittings, rings, chain, cassette kaput!!! and brake pads worn all the way thru the metal so the pistons were also worn out.
    I am for sure changing to xx1 during this winter and taking this as a good opportunity to get rid of those silly avid brakes. Anyone else going for xx1? i am thinking 36 x 10-42.
    Thanks for tip! I have same seatpost in my prophet, and while making service i noticed, that frame was full of dryed mud. Seatpost is not sealed.
    Have to do something for that any idea??
    If i will get scalpel, it will have same proplem.
    I really like the idea for xx1 group, but having my first hollowgrams cranks with scalpel, i wanna keep them awile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just pick mine up the other day. Its a 2012 Scalpel 2 with XT brake upgrade. Saved over $500 getting the 12 version. Dont think its any different to the 13 except the boot on the front fork. I took it for a spin and wow, i never thought a lefty would feel so smooth. Im looking at getting a race wheelset built, just got to sort out the front hub situation

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lately my Scalpel developed a knocking sound when under load and I think it's coming from the main pivot / crankset area. It gets louder towards the end of the ride, and the noise damped down a bit after a wash / lubing the bike. It's more of a light knocking, not a creak. I've tried eliminating the possibilites,

Seatpost - checked & greased
    Headse bearings - replaced & greased
    Pedals - checked
    Chainring bolts - checked & greased
    bottom bracket - replaced
    Shock bolts - checked
    Cassette - checked
    Frame - checked, no crack

Any other suggestion? Or you guys having any similar noise (I know how sound travels through carbon frames)? I'm going to have my LBS to clean and inspect all the suspension linkages this Friday and see what they find. And ya the tech said most hi end mtbs tend to be noiser then other mtb...(!!!)

I tend to ride my road bike more now since it's noise free.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    Lately my Scalpel developed a knocking sound when under load and I think it's coming from the main pivot / crankset area. It gets louder towards the end of the ride, and the noise damped down a bit after a wash / lubing the bike. It's more of a light knocking, not a creak. I've tried eliminating the possibilites,

Seatpost - checked & greased
    Headse bearings - replaced & greased
    Pedals - checked
    Chainring bolts - checked & greased
    bottom bracket - replaced
    Shock bolts - checked
    Cassette - checked
    Frame - checked, no crack

Any other suggestion? Or you guys having any similar noise (I know how sound travels through carbon frames)? I'm going to have my LBS to clean and inspect all the suspension linkages this Friday and see what they find. And ya the tech said most hi end mtbs tend to be noiser then other mtb...(!!!)

I tend to ride my road bike more now since it's noise free.
    Any chance it's cable slap? If the housing is not full length, clean and lube each ferrule where it meets the frame. If full length, make sure the tie-downs are not the culprit.

Other things to check:

Seat clamp/rails
    Rear axle bolt (assume you got this with the cassette check, though)
    Derailleur bolt (once had a Sram derailleur that needed the bolt removed, cleaned and lubed - that one was tough to track down, and it was causing a light knocking sound like you are having)
    Hanger bolt

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast