Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercycler View Post
    I had similar issue installing the front Rocket Ron onto the Enve, not the Ralphs. Even an air compressor didn't do the trick. My final solution = a CO2 cartridge, make sure you release the valve fast enough to seal up the bead quick. Hope this helps.
    thanks. the rocket ron (front) sealed, with some trouble. no luck on the ralph (SS version). tried another tire today, tried the compressor & floor pump. warmed the tire. no go.

co2 did not work.

i've got a tube in there now and can hear the bead snap into place when it reaches 35-40 psi. i'm going to let it sit for 24-48h light that, see if that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scalpel2007 View Post
    Thanks Zeeke

legend!!!

Can you explain in words how the new type of axle system works? which side do you place the allen wrench in? How much do you turn it?
    look up syntace x-12.

for anyone looking at it, it should be various obvious.

5mm hex on the NDS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by torque29er View Post
    Are yours R1's the racing version (titanium) or the regular R1? The one's on my Epic are the regular R1. Just curious to know so I know what the weight of the ones on my Epic are.

BTW...I still haven't received the FSA bar yet to post the weight...crazy
    mine are 2010s or 2011s, but i put the carbon levers on there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hey skeeter take your points on the xtr brakes. Are they just more robust or better feeling than the other brakes that are marketed for their weight? What makes them better?

I kinda have moved away from shimano gear. What xtr like brakes are out there?

In dirt bikes it's common to mix master cyclinders to lines and calipers.

Can you do that in the mtb world or are most systems proprietary ?

Thanks
    The XTR's seem to be more robust in that they require little or no maintenance from our experience. They are as light as anything out there, and they feel wonderful in your hand. The quality of modulation is fantastic. Compared to anything from SRAM, the XTR's are very easy to apply just the right amount of braking force for the situation. With the SRAM stuff, I sometimes find myself accidentally applying too much pressure and then having to back off especially in very choppy terrain. They almost feel like an on-off switch. Not bad, just not as good.

Most MTB Systems are not compatible with each other so find what you like and hang on to it. The XT's are very nice as well and less expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post

i've got a tube in there now and can hear the bead snap into place when it reaches 35-40 psi. I'm going to let it sit for 24-48h light that, see if that helps.

this is the key to sealing any tire that you can't get to seal. Put a tube in and pop the bead in place. This also widens the natural shape of the tire too. Deflate the tube and unsnap one side of the tire and remove the tube. Soap the bead and pump it up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterP View Post
    The XTR's seem to be more robust in that they require little or no maintenance from our experience. They are as light as anything out there, and they feel wonderful in your hand. The quality of modulation is fantastic. Compared to anything from SRAM, the XTR's are very easy to apply just the right amount of braking force for the situation. With the SRAM stuff, I sometimes find myself accidentally applying too much pressure and then having to back off especially in very choppy terrain. They almost feel like an on-off switch. Not bad, just not as good.

Most MTB Systems are not compatible with each other so find what you like and hang on to it. The XT's are very nice as well and less expensive.
    So why does cdale not fit Shimano stock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well my scalpel 29er arrived from the US this morning.

Can I ask the group before I ride it, if there is any pre set up I should do?

The people who packed it had greasy hands - what's the best solution to cleaning the beautiful frame?

Ie the cable locations look like an after thought !!! How can I protect the frame better from damn cable rub?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    this is the key to sealing any tire that you can't get to seal. Put a tube in and pop the bead in place. This also widens the natural shape of the tire too. Deflate the tube and unsnap one side of the tire and remove the tube. Soap the bead and pump it up!
    Very good tip. It goes up so much easier with 1 side already sealed like that.

KTV
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi

I really like my Scalpel 2, best bike i ewer had, however mine is right now at the lbs with a cracked frame
    The frame is cracked just above the bottom bracket, between the 2 bearings holding the rear swing arm in place.
    The bike been at the lbs over a week now, and still no answer from Cannondale about a replacement frame..
    I am going out of the country i about a month on a bike trip, so i am hoping and praying that the a replacement frame will show up before that!
    And to make matters worse, i know 4 people i my area that all rides on 29 Scalpels, and including mine 2 other frames i cracked, 1 in the same place as mine and 1 at the top tube...

Regards from Denmark
    Klaus

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KTV View Post
    Hi

I really like my Scalpel 2, best bike i ewer had, however mine is right now at the lbs with a cracked frame
    The frame is cracked just above the bottom bracket, between the 2 bearings holding the rear swing arm in place.
    The bike been at the lbs over a week now, and still no answer from Cannondale about a replacement frame..
    I am going out of the country i about a month on a bike trip, so i am hoping and praying that the a replacement frame will show up before that!
    And to make matters worse, i know 4 people i my area that all rides on 29 Scalpels, and including mine 2 other frames i cracked, 1 in the same place as mine and 1 at the top tube...

Regards from Denmark
    Klaus
    What models?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KTV View Post
    Hi

Regards from Denmark
    Klaus

Pictures, I wanna see pictures. Ive ridden mine a lot, on a lot of rocky stuff. So far no cracks and not even heard of one cracking. I am going to go over it with a fine comb in a minute just to make sure, but lets see some pictures of the cracks.

And what were you doing when you cracked it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I own a Niner RIP9 with a 140mm Reba and a GF Superfly with a Lety fork on it.
    My new Scalpel carbon 2 is like if I had left my muscled RIP, daddy, with the svelte Superfly, mummy, having a kid, the Scalpel carbon.
    Not as long legged as dad but stiff as mum. Descents flawless as long it doesn't get too rough (and living in the Swiss Alps it can get really rough here) and climbs as a rocket, the suspension makes your life easier and my body thanks it after long rides.
    My RIP feels really flexy now and my Superfly too rude for when the things get serious.
    I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So why does cdale not fit Shimano stock?
    It boils down to how much componentry they need and how much a given company will sell it for. Cannondale does spec some Shimano, but consensus is that the SRAM stuff comes at a better price for equivalent components. They gotta make a buck...

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by tetonrider2 View Post
    mine are 2010s or 2011s, but i put the carbon levers on there.
    Bar finally came in...
    FSA 670mm Bar 130gr. on Scale.
    I guess it's from 130gr-139gr.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-069.jpg  

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

Livin' the Dream
    It's been 6 months since I got the Scalpel so I thought I would do a follow up. Since then I have done a few 6-hour races and the Ouachita Challenge, a 60-mile race in Arkansas. After having been on the bike on long training rides and 6+ hour races, I am even more convinced by this bike’s capabilities. The OC in particular was a completely different race for me this year and I attribute it solely to this bike. I had raced the past 3 years on the Yeti ASR-C and for those of you who are not familiar with the course, the OC can be a beat down. The first section of the course is loaded with rock gardens, with a few hike a bike sections. It is a hiking trail first and a mtb trail second. There are some long sustained climbs through these rock gardens as well as several fire road and paved road sections. The continual theme for me was the ease at going through rough terrain. There is noticeably less feedback jostling you fore and aft while you’re negotiating rough terrain. Also, the climbing on this bike is much more efficient than the Yeti. I remember thinking “wow” this is really different at one point. It was at the end of the first section of singletrack where you hit a fire road. It just felt like the bike would not quit accelerating as I pulled out on to the road. It was kind of like the difference between driving a CJ5 and brand new Jeep. Both capable, just one does not beat you up. At the end of the race I was not nearly fatigued as in previous years. Another footnote, I finished 25 minutes faster than my previous best. I thought this was significant because 6 weeks out I hit the deck on my road bike and bruised my tailbone. I could not ride with any power at all until 2 weeks out from the race. I expected to be slower due to the loss of fitness. Looking at my splits from previous years, I did not ride much faster until 40 miles in. It was the last 20 miles where I made up my time. This aligns with my initial thought; this bike will keep you feeling fresh longer. It is the ideal endurance bike for me.
    I have decided it is not as good at downhill sections as the Yeti was. The rear suspension is not as active and makes for a rougher ride. The trade off was made for climbing I suppose. Since climbs are where you make up the most time, that’s okay by me. Setting proper sag on the Lefty is a pita. Once it is done though you’re good to go. Also, I upgraded to the XX world cup brakes, a mistake in my mind. I should have gone with either the regular XX brakes or maybe even Formulas or XTR. The XXWC took a while to get dialed in. Oh well, what’s done is done.
    The biggest problem for me though was the wheels. The Tricons blew a tire off when I was converting them to tubeless. It scared the piss out of me and I felt like a real idiot. I double-checked the max pressure I inflated them to and was around 45 psi. In the past with Crossmarks I had to inflate them to above 50psi to seat the bead, I guess not the case with the RR’s. In the process though it bent the front rim beyond repair. It seemed very odd to me that you could damage a rim like this and I lost some confidence in the wheels. I have since learned I was not alone in blowing the tire off the rim at low pressure. I still feel like a dip$hit though. Since there was such a long wait to get the new rim, I decided to make what I consider was the best upgrade; Enve wheelset.

I chose the Enve wheels for their reputation of durability more than the weight savings. They are exceedingly stiff and make an already light bike, noticeably lighter. They excel in climbs and spin up quickly, two characteristics that certainly did not go unnoticed during the OC. The Project 321 hubs look good, but I really would have been just as happy with the DT option (they just would have taken an extra 3 weeks). The 321 hubs have quick engagement and seem to be pretty solid so far. I have also changed out the bar to an Enve as well, just because I got a good deal on it with the wheels. There is no noticeable performance benefit; I just thought it looked cool. I also found a triple cable guide made by a company called Ragley. It allows you to run all 3 cables underneath the down tube. It was not really necessary but it looks much better and means there are fewer places for cables to rub the frame. Rounding out the changes is a Specialized bottle cage holder that mounts on the seat tube and a set of Ergon grips. I think I am done on any more upgrades, plus my wife will cut my nutz off if I put another dollar into it.
    All in all, phenomenal bike, the best I have ridden.

BTW, prior to converting to tubeless I had a rear flat tire in my first race. I changed it with a mini tool no problem. Not as quick a "quick release" but fast enough. Now that I'm tubeless I doubt if I'll ever have to remove the rear wheel in a race again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scalpel 29 Ride Report-img_2091.jpg  

Scalpel 29 Ride Report-img_2092.jpg  

DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury View Post
    It's been 6 months since I got the Scalpel so I thought I would do a follow up. Since then I have done a few 6-hour races and the Ouachita Challenge, a 60-mile race in Arkansas. After having been on the bike on long training rides and 6+ hour races, I am even more convinced by this bike’s capabilities. The OC in particular was a completely different race for me this year and I attribute it solely to this bike. I had raced the past 3 years on the Yeti ASR-C and for those of you who are not familiar with the course, the OC can be a beat down. The first section of the course is loaded with rock gardens, with a few hike a bike sections. It is a hiking trail first and a mtb trail second. There are some long sustained climbs through these rock gardens as well as several fire road and paved road sections. The continual theme for me was the ease at going through rough terrain. There is noticeably less feedback jostling you fore and aft while you’re negotiating rough terrain. Also, the climbing on this bike is much more efficient than the Yeti. I remember thinking “wow” this is really different at one point. It was at the end of the first section of singletrack where you hit a fire road. It just felt like the bike would not quit accelerating as I pulled out on to the road. It was kind of like the difference between driving a CJ5 and brand new Jeep. Both capable, just one does not beat you up. At the end of the race I was not nearly fatigued as in previous years. Another footnote, I finished 25 minutes faster than my previous best. I thought this was significant because 6 weeks out I hit the deck on my road bike and bruised my tailbone. I could not ride with any power at all until 2 weeks out from the race. I expected to be slower due to the loss of fitness. Looking at my splits from previous years, I did not ride much faster until 40 miles in. It was the last 20 miles where I made up my time. This aligns with my initial thought; this bike will keep you feeling fresh longer. It is the ideal endurance bike for me.
    I have decided it is not as good at downhill sections as the Yeti was. The rear suspension is not as active and makes for a rougher ride. The trade off was made for climbing I suppose. Since climbs are where you make up the most time, that’s okay by me. Setting proper sag on the Lefty is a pita. Once it is done though you’re good to go. Also, I upgraded to the XX world cup brakes, a mistake in my mind. I should have gone with either the regular XX brakes or maybe even Formulas or XTR. The XXWC took a while to get dialed in. Oh well, what’s done is done.
    The biggest problem for me though was the wheels. The Tricons blew a tire off when I was converting them to tubeless. It scared the piss out of me and I felt like a real idiot. I double-checked the max pressure I inflated them to and was around 45 psi. In the past with Crossmarks I had to inflate them to above 50psi to seat the bead, I guess not the case with the RR’s. In the process though it bent the front rim beyond repair. It seemed very odd to me that you could damage a rim like this and I lost some confidence in the wheels. I have since learned I was not alone in blowing the tire off the rim at low pressure. I still feel like a dip$hit though. Since there was such a long wait to get the new rim, I decided to make what I consider was the best upgrade; Enve wheelset.

I chose the Enve wheels for their reputation of durability more than the weight savings. They are exceedingly stiff and make an already light bike, noticeably lighter. They excel in climbs and spin up quickly, two characteristics that certainly did not go unnoticed during the OC. The Project 321 hubs look good, but I really would have been just as happy with the DT option (they just would have taken an extra 3 weeks). The 321 hubs have quick engagement and seem to be pretty solid so far. I have also changed out the bar to an Enve as well, just because I got a good deal on it with the wheels. There is no noticeable performance benefit; I just thought it looked cool. I also found a triple cable guide made by a company called Ragley. It allows you to run all 3 cables underneath the down tube. It was not really necessary but it looks much better and means there are fewer places for cables to rub the frame. Rounding out the changes is a Specialized bottle cage holder that mounts on the seat tube and a set of Ergon grips. I think I am done on any more upgrades, plus my wife will cut my nutz off if I put another dollar into it.

BTW, prior to converting to tubeless I had a rear flat tire in my first race. I changed it with a mini tool no problem. Not as quick a "quick release" but fast enough. Now that I'm tubeless I doubt if I'll ever have to remove the rear wheel in a race again.
    Awesome, thanks for the update ,

Just curious... What did the weight come in at after the changes you've made so far?
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Great report - I have just purchased my 29er1.

How narrow can you run the handlebars on this bike as the stock bars are soooo wide.

I'll do an enve upgrade like yours I think.

Are the stock brakes bad?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What type of seatpost bottle attachment is that?

Livin' the Dream
    torque29er - I took the bottles out of the cages and weighed as pictured above, 23.3 lbs with all the bottle mounts, GPS etc. I'm bummed you didn't post any emoticons in your question. . .

scalpel2007 - I took 1/2" off the bar, I thought they felt very wide as well. The stock brakes are not bad, I just thought the XO spec did not really match the rest of the bike. Since I had a chance to get trade in price for them I upgraded to the XXWC. If I had it to do over, I would have chosen XX or XTR.

stamd1 - It is a cage mount made by Specialized. You can find is on their website. I am not a fan of the camelback and I found this solution works well for me. Notice however the velcro strap around the bottle. Were it not for that additional tension, the bottle will be ejected. Ask me how I know.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Scalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337491567.035575.jpgScalpel 29 Ride Report-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337491615.242681.jpg

Just had my first ride on new scalpel 29er1.

Man it's light!!!

Brakes are so so. Not much feedback and kinda bland. Is that the consensus of the XOs generally?

Need help on bottle cage locations?

Also the bars are a joke!! Far too wide. How much do you guys lop off each side ?

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    torque29er - I took the bottles out of the cages and weighed as pictured above, 23.3 lbs with all the bottle mounts, GPS etc. I'm bummed you didn't post any emoticons in your question. . .

scalpel2007 - I took 1/2" off the bar, I thought they felt very wide as well. The stock brakes are not bad, I just thought the XO spec did not really match the rest of the bike. Since I had a chance to get trade in price for them I upgraded to the XXWC. If I had it to do over, I would have chosen XX or XTR.

stamd1 - It is a cage mount made by Specialized. You can find is on their website. I am not a fan of the camelback and I found this solution works well for me. Notice however the velcro strap around the bottle. Were it not for that additional tension, the bottle will be ejected. Ask me how I know.
    Sorry about that...
    Thanks for your reply...
    Really, thanks for your reports and replies...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337491567.035575.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	697950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337491615.242681.jpg 
Views:	2891 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	697952

Just had my first ride on new scalpel 29er1.

Man it's light!!!

Brakes are so so. Not much feedback and kinda bland. Is that the consensus of the XOs generally?

Need help on bottle cage locations?

Also the bars are a joke!! Far too wide. How much do you guys lop off each side ?
    Congats on your bike !!!
    I switched out the brakes in favor of XTR's... Too bad they don't come stock with that setup...

I use a side exit cage...

I switched out my bar (FSA 670mm) but by providing a wider you you can trim to suit your riding style without having to change out the bar if you don't want to...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Does your front wheel rub any of the cables when you hit the top end of the travel? I ran mine between the headtube and fork to avoid rub and with tire and steerer tube nut.
    Nice bike.

KTV
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi

sorry i don't have any pictures of the crack in the frame, just took it straight to the lbs, i know they have sent pictures to Cannondale of the frame, and maybe i could get them to send the pictures to me so you can see them.
    The bike is a 29 Scalpel 2, 3 month old.
    Also the lefty fork had some problems from new.
    There wash no different for min rebound to max rebound, lbs said this wash do too low oil level i the lefty fork.
    This may sound like i am disliking the 29 scalpel, not so i really love this bike....

Klaus

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The lefty doesn't have oil in it.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast