mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Scalpel 29 Carbon 1 or Niner Air RDO.

I love my Flash 29 C2. and don't really feel too beat by it on our SOCAL trails.
    I find myself locking the Front shock most of the times, other than on descents.

My wife started recently riding my Flash as well and she loves its being so light weight compared to the FS Stumjumper.
    I am thinking about selling the Stumpy and getting either
    1. 2012 Scalpel 29 1 or
    2. Niner Air RDO (Love my Niner one 9 SingleSpeeder)
    This way we both could ride both bikes.
    Problem I can't decide:
    On one hand, It may be a good idea to have both HT and one FS geared bikes,
    OTH, I am afraid that I will hate riding the Scalpel, because I like an efficient climber and cant stand a bobbing bike.

Hopefully I can get a wise advise from someone who rode both.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    I love my Flash 29 C2. and don't really feel too beat by it on our SOCAL trails.
    I find myself locking the Front shock most of the times, other than on descents.

My wife started recently riding my Flash as well and she loves its being so light weight compared to the FS Stumjumper.
    I am thinking about selling the Stumpy and getting either
    1. 2012 Scalpel 29 1 or
    2. Niner Air RDO (Love my Niner one 9 SingleSpeeder)
    This way we both could ride both bikes.
    Problem I can't decide:
    On one hand, It may be a good idea to have both HT and one FS geared bikes,
    OTH, I am afraid that I will hate riding the Scalpel, because I like an efficient climber and cant stand a bobbing bike.

Hopefully I can get a wise advise from someone who rode both.
    As an owner of a 2012 Scalpel 1, IMHO you can't go wrong with the Scalpel. The bike climbs extremely well. One of the best I've ever ridden. I have two friends with RDO's and they love them both. One has a Lefty shock and the other a Rock Shock.
    I think my Scalpel climbs better than both but the RDO with the lefty rides great too. The RDO with the Rock Shock rides well too but theres something missing there.
    I have to say that I'm partial to the Lefty shock.
    I recomend that you ride them both as you know either bike is a substantial investment.
    Both Bikes are GREAT bikes.
    Either way you go, you win !!! Good Luck...
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Since I already have 2 HT (The Flash and the Niner SS) and since my wife finds the Flash too harsh on her back and neck, we decided to get the 2012 Scalpel 29 C1.

The bike rides and looks amazing.
    Approx 23.1 lbs stock.
    Only changes I did is to convert to tubeless and a Nago Evo X10 saddle same as the one i have on my Flash (I am yet to try the Fizik)

Yes, the rear shock bobs a little but I don't think it takes a lot from its climbing ability.
    Plus I have to adjust the shock settings in order to dial it in.
    On the descents it is so plush and stable plus the ride is less tiring than the Flash.
    On my first ride I broke a couple of records I set up on a local trail with my other bikes, not a large difference, just a few seconds difference, both on the climbs and DH.
    Overall, very happy with the bike.
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyElite2010 View Post
    Since I already have 2 HT (The Flash and the Niner SS) and since my wife finds the Flash too harsh on her back and neck, we decided to get the 2012 Scalpel 29 C1.

The bike rides and looks amazing.
    Approx 23.1 lbs stock.
    Only changes I did is to convert to tubeless and a Nago Evo X10 saddle same as the one i have on my Flash (I am yet to try the Fizik)

Yes, the rear shock bobs a little but I don't think it takes a lot from its climbing ability.
    Plus I have to adjust the shock settings in order to dial it in.
    On the descents it is so plush and stable plus the ride is less tiring than the Flash.
    On my first ride I broke a couple of records I set up on a local trail with my other bikes, not a large difference, just a few seconds difference, both on the climbs and DH.
    Overall, very happy with the bike.
    Congrat to you!!! The Scalpel is a great bike !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!